• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

Jakoozie89

Neo Member
So, after my last post I decided to give the game another go. Have put in about 30 hours now, am at the end of chapter 3. Reading all the stuff about how chapter 5 and onwards is worse is a bit worrying though. What is that makes chapter 5 so horrible?

FryHole

So, after my last post I decided to give the game another go. Have put in about 30 hours now, am at the end of chapter 3. Reading all the stuff about how chapter 5 and onwards is worse is a bit worrying though. What is that makes chapter 5 so horrible?

There's really no way to say without spoiling it. It's not horrible (IMO, of course), just rather deflating - and once you make your peace with what they decided to do, it picks up and finishes strong. Let me know if you want specifics.

Yasawas

I don't think I understand what Frenetic Fighting does, I was expecting it to give me dramatically more hits per turn but I don't notice a difference. I only used it in half a dozen encounters or so, does it only activate once every so often or something?

New (old) Nemeses incoming!

17-23 Jan "Beelzebub strong" (recommended Lv99)
24-30 Jan "Belphegor weak" (recommended Lv20)
31-06 Feb "Asmodeus strong" (recommended Lv99)

Preface: I'm in the US, I don't have BD yet, I have no business in this thread!

But I just fought these guys in Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light, which I've been going through in anticipation of BD. They look exactly the same as in the DS game, obviously with a much better quality model/texturing, but it's pretty cool seeing them redone.

Are they considered "new (old) nemeses" because of their appearance in 4 Heroes of Light?

CrovaxPSO

I just got my import copy of For the Sequel and can't really figure out what this Bravely Code is for. I linked my Japanese SE Members account already. All I could find about this code is that it has to do with rebuilding the village, is that correct? Sorry if I missed an obvious answer.

Kadux

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the 3ds and bravely default. I already submitted my friend code and would like to know how to add some friends in the meantime to play with them. I'm pretty clueless in the whole matter...Thanks in advance!

I don't think I understand what Frenetic Fighting does, I was expecting it to give me dramatically more hits per turn but I don't notice a difference. I only used it in half a dozen encounters or so, does it only activate once every so often or something?

Frenetic fighting raises the cap on the number if hits rather than the number of hits. You need to use Quick/The number of hit raising ninja skill/etc, to see its full effect. Some really fast classes supplemented with Agi boosters (eg Ninja with 2xFalcon Knife, red cap, Hermes shoes) will get a benefit from it but I don't think any class/combinarion i
s fast enough to hit 32 hits naturally.

SE released these nemeses earlier at lower levels. Thus the new (old) comment. I did not mean it for 4 Heroes of Light.

Ah, alright.

I wonder how much else is shared between the two games. For example I know there's a prominent fairy in Bravely Default, and there's sort of one in 4HOL too (very loosely, mostly used for a few specific plot points).

Just from playing the BD demo, I know that some enemies are shared. The random Cait Sith monster is the same between the two, flying mage cat clutching a staff. The tall mushrooms too, but I know that's a pretty common RPG monster anyway.

It's interesting to see because BD is getting a lot of exposure and 4HOL didn't seem to make much of a splash at the time. Most people probably won't know anything about the strong link between the two.

Okay. Added everyone in OP. I'm out of Friend slots now though so if you're above Keichii and didn't friend me back I had to delete you.

I have 20 open slots, post cleanup, so if you want to be readded throw me a PM.

The collector's edition is listed for $55 at gamestop, and $50 at bestbuy.com. Did gamestop hike the price by 5 dollars? Need to pre-order tomorrow though before it's too late.

I'm gonna apologize in advance to anyone who adds me and finds my assistance to be not all that great, i'm still on chapter 1. I wish i had more time to sink into this game because i'm loving it so far!

Yasawas

Frenetic fighting raises the cap on the number if hits rather than the number of hits. You need to use Quick/The number of hit raising ninja skill/etc, to see its full effect. Some really fast classes supplemented with Agi boosters (eg Ninja with 2xFalcon Knife, red cap, Hermes shoes) will get a benefit from it but I don't think any class/combinarion i
s fast enough to hit 32 hits naturally.

That would make a lot more sense, thanks!

Oxx

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Yikes, that world map. So many quest icons. Is there any particular way to go through it all? Or is the difficulty pretty uniform for everything?

Gambit

Chapter 5 spoilers:

Yikes, that world map. So many quest icons. Is there any particular way to go through it all? Or is the difficulty pretty uniform for everything?

I followed the same route as in the previous run-through. Wind-crystal and sidequests, fire cry-stal and sidequests etc.

If you even want to do them at all.

Sputtid

Banned
Does anyone know if there's going to be a re-issue of this game anytime soon in europe? The game is sold out everywhere and I don't want to buy the regular version for ~65€ on ebay or amazon (DE).

I know, right? First I had to skip the Limited Edition because only skalpers had it when I got around to ordering it, and they were going for around £200. Then I'm informed I bought the last copy of the basic version in my country. Usually people around here only buy Fifa, COD and WoW prepaid cards.

I know it's anecdotal, but it makes me rather hopeful about the game's European sales performance.

I know, right? First I had to skip the Limited Edition because only skalpers had it when I got around to ordering it, and they were going for around £200. Then I'm informed I bought the last copy of the basic version in my country. Usually people around here only buy Fifa, COD and WoW prepaid cards.

I know it's anecdotal, but it makes me rather hopeful about the game's European sales performance.

It seems to have sold out pretty consistently. Which means it performed better than expected. But we don't know how high expectations where on the corporate side , it not hitting any of the top performers in sales charts suggests they were (reasonably) low.

i had to shop around to get a copy when i bought it the other day, granted i live in a small town in the northwest of the U.K, but we have 3 game retailers and supermarkets too. I ended up grabbing the only copy left in Grainger Games.

CrovaxPSO

Got a question about street passing. I'm in the US on an imported copy, so the chances of someone else having it here yet are slim. Will any street pass count toward adding a villager, or would they also have to be playing Bravely Default?

Porcile

I bought Bravely Default on day one but have only in the last week or so started playing with any intent. I'm part way through Chapter One and I'm at 28 villagers already because of the demo and other street pass hits. Am I going to break the game if I just plow through the village rebuilding?

I bought Bravely Default on day one but have only in the last week or so started playing with any intent. I'm part way through Chapter One and I'm at 28 villagers already because of the demo and other street pass hits. Am I going to break the game if I just plow through the village rebuilding?

Probably not--the stuff in the village gets expensive fast.

Got a question about street passing. I'm in the US on an imported copy, so the chances of someone else having it here yet are slim. Will any street pass count toward adding a villager, or would they also have to be playing Bravely Default?

Normal StreetPasses don't count. However you can get residents by updating online each day.

FryHole

The really powerful kit is expensive, so that'll block you breaking it too easily.

I completed all of the content in the US demo today with seven and a half hours of play time. Even finished off the bonus boss. February 7th can't arrive soon enough.

Labadal

Been going through chapter 5 slowly. Most of the time with no random encounters. One fight seemed really easy, but when I took down one of the bosses, the other one went berserk. I was really caught off guard. Going to play some more later today. I love the boss battles in this game.

hamchan

10 hours in and I think it's pretty damn great. Pretty challenging so far. The first subquest was really hard since I didn't bother grinding before it. Also I've been running out of MP in every dungeon midway forcing me to teleport out to heal.

I like how it's pretty much Final Fantasy but not called Final Fantasy. I wonder if that shows Square Enix is placing less importance in the FF name now.

magnetic

I´ve ended up being quite torn on this game - on the one hand, I absolutely love the art direction, the fantastic combat and just the general style of it all, but the dungeons were incredibly cookie cutter and it just got so repetetive later on than I completely burned out on it (and ended up selling it for a very nice price).

I hope the sequel will get a bigger budget that allows them to flesh the game out in a way that there will be more towns, better dungeons and hopefully more music (I was pretty disappointed that the game didn´t have more than one random battle tune - even niche games like Etrian Odyssey usually have at least two or three during the whole game).

I loved the game, but it felt pretty content starved to me, most likely due to budget constraints - I hope this game ends up being successful enough that add more assets to the sequel. It got the looks and feel of a late-90s console RPG, but ends up not completely delivering on what it promises (again, in my opinion).

By the way, some of the boss tactic videos linked here are completely insane, it´s crazy how much the job abilities can be exploited!

FryHole

I loved the game, but it felt pretty content starved to me, most likely due to budget constraints - I hope this game ends up being successful enough that add more assets to the sequel. It got the looks and feel of a late-90s console RPG, but ends up not completely delivering on what it promises (again, in my opinion).

I felt the same, it's almost there but not quite, it's just lacking the world building and depth of the late 90s stuff. For what it's worth, apparently the sequel will be bigger and denser, which sounds promising.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/10/bravely-second-will-larger-fields-things/

FryHole

Anyone got any advice for the boss in the
fire temple
?

Default (heal if you need to, buff if you're feeling fancy) until the shield goes down. When it does, keep defaulting until he does the big energy blast attack. Then pummel the shit out of him until the shield goes back up. Heal, rinse and repeat.

Default (heal if you need to, buff if you're feeling fancy) until the shield goes down. When it does, keep defaulting until he does the big energy blast attack. Then pummel the shit out of him until the shield goes back up. Heal, rinse and repeat.

Slightly more detail and some cheese
Zeus's/Pantheons Wraith will do damage right through his shield. I believe that Energy Burst is always used the turn after the shield is dropped too.

Danj

Anyone got any tips for beating the
Water Crystal boss, Rusalka
? Gamefaqs is no help as it suggests using a class I don't have yet. Also what level should I be?

FryHole

Anyone got any tips for beating the
Water Crystal boss, Rusalka
? Gamefaqs is no help as it suggests using a class I don't have yet. Also what level should I be?

I don't remember doing anything too fancy first time around.
It's vital you have someone with Examine as that allows you to keep track of the real boss amongst the fakes (it should be the only one with a number for HP if you examined before it duplicated). Other than that I think its weakness is lightning, get your black mage on that, cast spell fencer lightning on a physical attacker and keep working the real boss. Any items that give immunity to water and charm are also useful, particularly for your healer and main offensive.

Regarding levels, not sure I'm afraid, but I think I did do a bit of grinding prior to the fight. I also did all of the sub quests before the temple.

tkscz

So can we transfer our characters from the demo to the full game? I've leveled quite a bit and do enjoy the equiptment I have.

Top Bottom