• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

aScaris

How does getting townspeople work? Streetpass won't work for me since I never take my 3DS out with me.

I heard you gete additional workers for free by updating your data through the save screen, but could not test it myself since I can't connect my 3DS to the internet at the moment :/

Oxx

You just have to go to the menu where you save the game and select 'Update Data' (the option beneath 'Save').

I don't remember doing anything too fancy first time around.
It's vital you have someone with Examine as that allows you to keep track of the real boss amongst the fakes (it should be the only one with a number for HP if you examined before it duplicated). Other than that I think its weakness is lightning, get your black mage on that, cast spell fencer lightning on a physical attacker and keep working the real boss. Any items that give immunity to water and charm are also useful, particularly for your healer and main offensive.

Regarding levels, not sure I'm afraid, but I think I did do a bit of grinding prior to the fight. I also did all of the sub quests before the temple.

Another trick to
detect the real one is to see which one has its Brave value change immediately after the splash attack.

EDIT: wtf my spoiler tag suddenly got broken

FryHole

Oh so you can just
keep attacking the real one and ignore the fakes?
That would be useful.

Aye, you need to
mop them up afterwards but that's the work of one or two turns, whereas the true boss will keep creating clones until you finish him.

Exentryk

Anyone got any advice for the boss in the
fire temple
?

Godspeed strike will hit through its shield as well.

Any recommendations for a sub-class for a Dark Knight?

Vampire, to restore lost HP?

They're pretty self sufficient for how I use them, so their sub job is basically what I'm needing at that time. Need more physical defence? Use Templar (Rampart). Need buffing? Use Performer. Need Crit+? Use Merchant.

NateDrake

Started to play the game while on medication and I completely blanked out on the explanation of the Nemese that come to your village. What are they exactly? And what purpose does protect, battle, and send serve when dealing with them?

Still confused as to how why gamestop jacked the price of the game up by $5. One would imagine to make more money but I don't think they've done that outside of the really gross Xenoblade/Metroid prime situations.

Jintor

I just got fucking wiped out by some thunder lizards in the earth crystal temple. Fuck that rush ability. Fuck it to shit. Even my ninja doesn't have the speed to outpace it sometimes, and if they randomly target the wrong people you blow all your BP in one turn and can't defend against the rest of the attacks.

On the plus side, I guess the game autosaves whenever you go up or down a ladder.

also

Banned
Started to play the game while on medication and I completely blanked out on the explanation of the Nemese that come to your village. What are they exactly? And what purpose does protect, battle, and send serve when dealing with them?
Strong enemies that may drop stat enhancing items.
Protect; a protected nemesis won't be swapped out when your village already has 7 nemeses and you receive new ones.
Battle; you battle the nemesis. If you lose it's game over so make sure to save first. If you win the nemesis will disappear from your village.
Send; you will send this nemesis to other people when you select “update data” in the save menu.

All the tutorials can be found in D's notebook under the Help section.

Tom_Cody

I asked this in the demo thread but maybe I should post this here instead:

What's the general consensus on the Collector's Edition?

I have essentially switched over to 100% digital download but I might go for a physical copy if the collector's edition is worth it.

Also, does the collector's edition seem to be selling out (I'm in the US). If not, I might just pick it up at the Nintendo World store within a few days of launch instead of dealing with Gamestop/Bestbuy.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Heyo guys, so I just finished the North American demo for this game and am patiently waiting for Feb :) The demo obviously did not include any story and only focused on getting me used to the game mechanism. So my question for you folks who have played the full game, how deep is the story for this game? Is it like FF5 where it is non-existent? FF6? FF9? Thanks.

FryHole

Heyo guys, so I just finished the North American demo for this game and am patiently waiting for Feb :) The demo obviously did not include any story and only focused on getting me used to the game mechanism. So my question for you folks who have played the full game, how deep is the story for this game? Is it like FF5 where it is non-existent? FF6? FF9? Thanks.

It's not as sophisticated, for want of a better word, as the PS1 entries. In the initial chapters especially the story is closely tied to a town-dungeon structure with accompanying side quest stories - the early story is a classic "we need to go here and achieve this" set up. Layered on top of that though are some nice side stories, good characterisation and entertaining party chats (and some boring ones), plus an increasingly shades-of-grey view of the actions and motives of the antagonists that takes it beyond simple good vs evil.

FryHole

Has anyone else run into enemies with Japanese text names in the village?

Yes, I've got level 50 Japanese something-or-other sitting in my village at the minute

How are side quests different in the game compared to the demo?

Most of them involve a mini storyline culminating in a boss fight - there's no collect-a-thons or 'monsters are invading the village pls defeat 5 arse-frogs' quests.

Exentryk

Has anyone else run into enemies with Japanese text names in the village?

That's because you can streetpass/netupdate and get 'Nemeses' from Japanese players. It's really useful in getting some 'Nemeses' early in the west before SE sends it out officially (a day or two later).

Jintor

Do sidequests last across chapters? I think I might be approaching the end of Chapter 5
but there's no way in fuck I'm going to be able to take on these fucking dragons

ss-hikaru

Do sidequests last across chapters? I think I might be approaching the end of Chapter 5
but there's no way in fuck I'm going to be able to take on these fucking dragons

Do you mean the ones you need to beat to
enter vampire castle
?

I used a
full ninja team (can't remember what subjob, maybe valkyrie?), utsusemi + transcience + turn tables
and won all the battles no damage. Thanks to GAF for noting the
breath attacks are physical
:p

But to answer your question, yes they do. I did the one you are referring to in Chapter 6.

peakish

Am I correct in thinking that all party members are "roughly" equivalent attribute wise? I've made some comparisons of stats but except for Ringabel seeming very suited for spellcasting all of them can handle most jobs fine, no? I'm just starting chapter two and trying out the multiclassing aspects, would be good to know if I'm gimping my team before investing them too heavily into any direction.

Current team
Tiz : Knight
Agnes : White mage/Spell fencer, I'm thinking that having my healer still be able to dish out damage (which spell fencers seem to do in a flexible way) is a good idea
Ringabel : Black mage/Time mage, I like the idea of debuffs
Edea : Thief, 'cause of dat bow

I feel terrible btw, took me around 14 hours to get through chapter 1 :S

Jintor

Eh, I'm on 30 and just finishing up chapter 4.

Edea pumps strength, Agnes pumps Int and Ring pumps Agi/Dex. So Edea is a good heavy hitter, Agnes is designated mage and Ring goes for two-handed weapons by the look of things. But the difference is only like 10 points, so whatevs

kiryogi

Banned
Am I correct in thinking that all party members are "roughly" equivalent attribute wise? I've made some comparisons of stats but except for Ringabel seeming very suited for spellcasting all of them can handle most jobs fine, no? I'm just starting chapter two and trying out the multiclassing aspects, would be good to know if I'm gimping my team before investing them too heavily into any direction.

Current team
Tiz : Knight
Agnes : White mage/Spell fencer, I'm thinking that having my healer still be able to dish out damage (which spell fencers seem to do in a flexible way) is a good idea
Ringabel : Black mage/Time mage, I like the idea of debuffs
Edea : Thief, 'cause of dat bow

I feel terrible btw, took me around 14 hours to get through chapter 1 :S

Edea will be your melee powerhouse in the long run, while mage is between Agnes. Tiz is middle of the road.

Lol, I cheesed them with Ninjas.

Exentryk

Am I correct in thinking that all party members are "roughly" equivalent attribute wise?

They're pretty much the same, but after adding job multipliers and abilities, you'll notice some differences.

Tiz - All rounder
Agnes - Mage
Ringabel - Thief/Ninja
Edea - Knight/Pirate/Monk etc (Damage dealer/tank)

dvPK9fI.png

Edea will be your melee powerhouse in the long run, while mage is between Agnes. Tiz is middle of the road.

well that's the optimal route, but it's not like making Edea your black mage or whatever is going to make a difference unless you do a low level run or something

kiryogi

Banned
how u use ninja good?

I'm using one with multitask for the damage output, teach me your shinobi ways

What sshikaru said really.

The whole abuse, and this strat works for majority of the game is having Utsuemi, Transience, and Turn Tables. The beauty of this against the dragons is that their breath attack is physical, so you'll always dodge it. Additional spice for that is to pair Ninja with Spell Fencer and using the appropriate element vs each dragon.

peakish

They're pretty much the same, but after adding job multipliers and abilities, you'll notice some differences.

Tiz - All rounder
Agnes - Mage
Ringabel - Thief/Ninja
Edea - Knight/Pirate/Monk etc (Damage dealer/tank)
Cool, do their job stats diverge more than their freelancer stats then? But it sounds like I won't have to worry about it either way which is all right to me.

ferr

I've been living under a rock or something because I've completely missed this game on my radar. Didn't know it was an SE game, didn't know it was an essentially un-named FF.

Picked up the demo over the weekend and really liking it so far. The job system seems great, feels like a typical FF job system with familiar classes, sub-jobs, and support abilities. I really like that they have included the Norende restoration aspect as I've been craving for months to re-play Suikoden 3 to experience the castle restoration aspect in it.. rebuilding Norende will take care of that craving.

ss-hikaru

I've maxed out everyone's levels and job levels so I don't really mind it if my characters finish a battled KO-ed and decided to give this job set up a try:

3x DARK KNIGHT/Monk
Abilities:
-Two Handed
-See you in Hell
-Rise from Dead
-HP10% up
-Absorb P. Damage

1x WHITE MAGE/Performer
Abilities:
-Epic Group Cast
-Holy One

Use Monk's Phoenix Flight (brings HP down to 1) with the 3 Dark Knights. If the Dark Knights survive the round use Minus Strike (it seemed like Absorb P Damage helped aid survival?). Dark Knight's "Adversity" ability meant an increase in P Attack. If they don't survive they use "See You in Hell" for massive damage. And then at the end of the turn there is a 50% chance of them reviving themselves. If not use the White Mage's "Arise" to bring them back and start the cycle again. White Mage would default whenever resurrection/self-healing wasn't needed and could use "My Hero" to give the Dark Knights extra BP to do multiple Minus Strike's a turn

It ended up in a hilarious battle where everyone was
falling over and dying, getting up to explode, falling back down then coming back to life.
On fast forward. The animations cracked me up so much. Both for
Phoenix Flight which looks like a headbutt dive and "see you in hell".

kiryogi

Banned
I've maxed out everyone's levels and job levels so I don't really mind it if my characters finish a battled KO-ed and decided to give this job set up a try:

3x DARK KNIGHT/Monk
Abilities:
-Two Handed
-See you in Hell
-Rise from Dead
-HP10% up
-Absorb P. Damage

1x WHITE MAGE/Performer
Abilities:
-Epic Group Cast
-Holy One

Use Monk's Phoenix Flight (brings HP down to 1) with the 3 Dark Knights. If the Dark Knights survive the round use Minus Strike (it seemed like Absorb P Damage helped aid survival?). Dark Knight's "Adversity" ability meant an increase in P Attack. If they don't survive they use "See You in Hell" for massive damage. And then at the end of the turn there is a 50% chance of them reviving themselves. If not use the White Mage's "Arise" to bring them back and start the cycle again. White Mage would default whenever resurrection/self-healing wasn't needed and could use "My Hero" to give the Dark Knights extra BP to do multiple Minus Strike's a turn

It ended up in a hilarious battle where everyone was
falling over and dying, getting up to explode, falling back down then coming back to life.
On fast forward. The animations cracked me up so much. Both for
Phoenix Flight which looks like a headbutt dive and "see you in hell".

ROFL this was pretty much my setup from the halfway point once I got my hand on Dark Knight. Except that I only used 2. The only real drawback to this setup is that you might lose out on XP/JXP on KO. But it hilariously worked and I stuck to it for majority of the game.

ss-hikaru

ROFL this was pretty much my setup from the halfway point once I got my hand on Dark Knight. Except that I only used 2. The only real drawback to this setup is that you might lose out on XP/JXP on KO. But it hilariously worked and I stuck to it for majority of the game.

I was a big fan of PIRATE/Ninja and NINJA/Valkyrie for most of the game :D Then in Chapter 7 switched to VALKYRIE/Salvemaster for side quests and then to the DARK KNIGHT/Monk set-up for main bosses. Trying to think of some other fun combos to play with in Chapter 8...

Haven't really used any mage type jobs other than White Mage :|

My most commonly-used physical damage skills were from Monks. Hidden Dragon for a free X1.5 damage boost, and later on Pressure Point for P.Def piercing. Not to mention Invigorate.

Top Bottom