• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| For the Americas

timnich

I'm in the Miasma Woods(chapter 2) and am getting my ass handed to me. Anyone have any tips they can share? My characters are all level 21 and job level 6, 2 monks, a white Mage and a black Mage. Should I level up more? Change up my jobs? Or do I just suck at RPGs? I've managed to beat all the side quests up to this point, it just seems like I've hit a wall.

duckroll

I'm in the Miasma Woods(chapter 2) and am getting my ass handed to me. Anyone have any tips they can share? My characters are all level 21 and job level 6, 2 monks, a white Mage and a black Mage. Should I level up more? Change up my jobs? Or do I just suck at RPGs? I've managed to beat all the side quests up to this point, it just seems like I've hit a wall.

If you're really having trouble, one piece of advice would be to try dropping the white mage and going with a knight, a monk, and 2 black mages. The knight can cover allies so they don't die, and the enemies are mostly all weak to fire. Black Resonance should help too. Keep white magic as a subcommand for at least one of the mages and you can heal too.

vareon

Grapp keep

Youre a better game than I am. I have no idea how you can stay alive there at level 70.

Nah, doubt it. But it was one entertaining battle.

This is the one where Praline keeps spamming My Hero, right? I'm defensive as shit and only my Dark Knight/Spellfencer Tiz attacked with with Drain/Black Bane. Occasionally, my Swordmaster/Pirate Edea used a Free Lunch/Amped Strike, focusing on Praline, after defaulting a lot of times.

In one desperate attempt because most of my team are critical, poisoned, deficit on BP, and the enemy has like 1 BP each, I Braved Tiz to use Drain/Black Bane/Black Bane/Black Bane. To my surprise, Praline was down. The battle got a lot easier after that and it turns out that the others went down fairly quick, too.

She definitely was my bane in the Eternia battle, though. Haven't got past since.

Soriku

Yo what the fuck. Gigas Lich auto-kills you if you try to drain HP from him. Made that battle kind of annoying :x

On chapter 6 now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Has been a recurring mechanic re: undead for most of the classic Final Fantasies.

Another recurring mechanic re: undead makes Gigas Lich a hilarious pushover. Involves Bravely Second to overcome 9999 limit though

Soriku

Hmm I didn't even realize he was undead, nor of that trait. Can I use that potion + phoenix down salve maker combo on him to one-shot him? lol. I did that for the Undead Dragon.

Just beat the game. I was able to use a strategy I figured out to auto defeat the final boss. Was lvl 99 and mastered almost every job on every character. Loved every minute of it and cant wait for the sequel.

Two questions though
I got the true ending, does the fake ending reveal anything in particular? And second what was the deal with Tiz and the celestial spirit? Was that ever explained or did i miss somthing?

Soodanim

I don't even feel bad about doing some major grinding with the
Vampire castle Glittering x2 method
from the last page, because
Everlast tower
literally doubles enemy HP (among other stat increases). It strikes me as a weird jump in difficulty, and I'm only in chapter 4 (I have no idea what awaits me in 5-8). I don't think I should be getting one or two-shotted this early in the game. I think reading this thread is starting to out me off the game, so maybe I'll up some job levels and leave the thread. It's interesting to read about the job setups people have, although it's a pain realising I'll have to level up a bunch of jobs for one support ability if I want to do the same.

I love the automatic and fast forward settings, but I still find myself wanting the Gambit system from FFXII. Even if it's only for the basic stuff like if status then esuna or KO > phoenix down.
Blasphemy!

Soriku

I got the false ending during chapter 6.

So breaking down world borders was the purpose of repeating worlds. That said, how many world cycles would they have to go through to be done? Also, damn Airy is old, 11 hundred million years old. She puts DeRosso and Yulyana to shame.

Her two battle themes are awesome. I already listened to Wicked Flight a lot before playing the game, but I didn't give Wicked Battle much of a listen. It's catchy.

I got the title screen change...LOOOOL. Airy Lies! I heard there was a meaning behind the subtitle before playing the game and the title changes, but I didn't expect it to be about Airy. I thought the title spoiler would be even more major than that actually, but it's still pretty amusing.

KHlover

Banned
I don't even feel bad about doing some major grinding with the
Vampire castle Glittering x2 method
from the last page, because
Everlast tower
literally doubles enemy HP (among other stat increases). It strikes me as a weird jump in difficulty, and I'm only in chapter 4 (I have no idea what awaits me in 5-8). I don't think I should be getting one or two-shotted this early in the game. I think reading this thread is starting to out me off the game, so maybe I'll up some job levels and leave the thread. It's interesting to read about the job setups people have, although it's a pain realising I'll have to level up a bunch of jobs for one support ability if I want to do the same.

I love the automatic and fast forward settings, but I still find myself wanting the Gambit system from FFXII. Even if it's only for the basic stuff like if status then esuna or KO > phoenix down.
Blasphemy!

Know what, you can actually automatically use Phoenix Downs.

Auto-Phoenix, Salve-Maker support ability - 2 Support Points iitc XD

Soriku

Blasphemy!

The Gambit system wouldn't work in this game when you're limited by how much BP you have. Imagine needing to react to something, but you just wasted your BP on an Esuna when it's not necessary.

The game should've had some sort of auto-battle library though where you can set and save specific commands for a few turns.

Finally wrapped things up with the True Ending last night. Really just an incredible experience overall, I had a wonderful time with this game. Less Ch. 5/6 for the sequel though, please!

Jawmuncher

Just got my black mage to max level.
The BP generator trick works wondering just beat the last subquest boss with ease because of it. Just need to grind conjurer and black knight to at least level 9 now.
Still unsure what i'm going to be using for the last boss.

bumpkin

Don't use physical attacks on the mushroom-looking monsters. When you do, they shoot out spores and create more of themselves. You can make short work of them with fire magic (cast on the group).

Darksol

This game is a blast to play, but a chore to follow the story. I can't remember the last time I skipped over dialogue and story, but this game has me doing it constantly. It's just so weak.

That being said, I still think this game is an absolute joy to play. I love the job system, and upgrading the town with streetpass inhabitants.

Looking through the [completely lifeless] spoiler thread I found this part of a post from wrowa that I really like:

In general, I really liked how the game followed the traditional, morally black-and-white structure of classic 16bit RPGs in the beginning before it turned out that the party wasn't really doing a lot of good and jumped to conclusions prematurrly. Characters in the game often referred to the party as "children" -- and I thought that was really fitting, since the game makes a good job of portraying how teenaged world-savers would make their (often ill-informed) decisions. It's quite cool since the young heroes is such a trope in JRPGs, but most stories don't actually question the actions of young people.
He completely nails it here, I think. It's really cool how the game basically starts with a FFIII plot that is very simplistic but then starts to question all of the assumptions those plots take for granted while throwing in a bunch of crazy wrinkles. I think the characters could have been better for sure and cross-dimensional stories are always pretty wonky if you dig too deep but overall I actually came away loving the story. For all the crap BD gets for adhering to standard JRPG tropes I think it deserves some credit for really breaking them down as well, at least as far as the overarching story is concerned.

(Random Xenoblade ending spoiler)
Also, I am a sucker for any JRPG that ends with a boss fight in some type of insane outer-space setting. <3 Xenoblade's ending so much.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Okay, so I missed the Pirate subclass quest in Chapter 4. Now, that I'm in Ch.5 and have
reawaken the water crystal, I can put my boat in the sea and sail around
. However, I'm looking everywhere and can't find the fog. Is there some trick to make it reappear?

KHlover

Banned
Okay, so I missed the Pirate subclass quest in Chapter 4. Now, that I'm in Ch.5 and have
. However, I'm looking everywhere and can't find the fog. Is there some trick to make it reappear?
It is North East of Grandship

ronito

Finally leveled up enough to get Dispel, that made the Qada fight doable (can't imagine doing it without it). I'm still at the end of chapter three, but this is starting to drag. I hope the future chapters are way shorter.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Make sure you stop at the dock and get them to talk about the ship first. Otherwise you won't be able to find it.

Chapter 6 now.
I've been trying to break crystals just for laughs because the bosses are easy enough I don't mind refighting them if it rewards me with a game over, but Airy doesn't give me the warning that she did in the first four chapters. The game just sits there and nothing happens until I get bored.

I always had the impression in the first chapters that you could just keep mashing until they busted. No dice in Chapters 5 and 6?

Espada

Chapter 6 now.
I've been trying to break crystals just for laughs because the bosses are easy enough I don't mind refighting them if it rewards me with a game over, but Airy doesn't give me the warning that she did in the first four chapters. The game just sits there and nothing happens until I get bored.

I always had the impression in the first chapters that you could just keep mashing until they busted. No dice in Chapters 5 and 6?

That's strange. I heard that in 5+ it's definitely possible to
break them
. I don't know why that's not working for you.

Soriku

Chapter 6 now.

Aftet Airy tells you stop, just mash X fast.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how people seem to be having trouble with that, I've seen a lot of questions about it. I just kept mashing X and it worked. Are people doing it really slow or something? Just do it as fast as you can every time.

KHlover

Banned
Chapter 6 now.

Gotta mash HARD

First crystal in 5, I kept hitting it for at least 5 minutes after Airy told me I was done. My girlfriend actually asked me what the hell I was doing.
On Chapters 2, 3, and 4 I would keep going until Airy's second warning to stop with no trouble.

I'll try harder, I guess.

d+pad

This game is a blast to play, but a chore to follow the story. I can't remember the last time I skipped over dialogue and story, but this game has me doing it constantly. It's just so weak.

That being said, I still think this game is an absolute joy to play. I love the job system, and upgrading the town with streetpass inhabitants.

Your thoughts are nearly 100 percent the same as mine. I love so many aspects of this game, but the overt amount of text is not one of them.

BTW, this isn't a "reading is hard" complaint. I love reading and I love the stories of most RPGs. Here, though, there's just so much bloat. Every time someone talks, they seem to deliver 10+ lines. Where on earth were the editors when this game was being made?

gaiages

Banned
So, I have a question about a side-quest I'm hoping someone could answer:

So, what are these 'keystones' I'm supposed to find? I haven't a clue what I'm even supposed to be looking for. I noticed someone saying something about fighting dragons, does that have anything to do with it?

Also, anyone remember where the water summoner (the level 3 summon spell) is hiding? I looked around most of the Florem area but can't seem to find him.

mwWiZmE.jpg

Aw yiss.

So, I have a question about a side-quest I'm hoping someone could answer:

So, what are these 'keystones' I'm supposed to find? I haven't a clue what I'm even supposed to be looking for. I noticed someone saying something about fighting dragons, does that have anything to do with it?

Also, anyone remember where the water summoner (the level 3 summon spell) is hiding? I looked around most of the Florem area but can't seem to find him.

Look for the 6 obelisks around the world.

I'll grab pics later...

Water summon is halfway along Mt. Fragmentum.

EDIT

Obelisk locations

I wish there was a way to enable default costumes for characters on the world map/cut scenes. Its hard to take things seriously when Tiz looks like a wolf

VRMN

I wish there was a way to enable default costumes for characters on the world map/cut scenes. Its hard to take things seriously when Tiz looks like a wolf
You can. You just have to buy them from one of the Norende shops after it's leveled up enough. They'll run you 200,000 pg a pop.

Finally beat this game, big spoilers:

I really hate Ouroboro's Design, which is a shame considering I loved all of Airy's forms. I have no idea what they hell they were going for, but it looked alot sillier than I expected. I was totally banking on his final form being the glowing blue-dragon thingy that gets beat up in all the alternate worlds, so I was rather disappointed when that didn't happen.

Falk

that puzzling face
I never really understood the elixir mammon thing. In the time it took you to get X amount of GP and then 99/maxed jobs with a growth egg you could have managed in shorter time by taking off the growth egg for a while.

What's everyone's view on New Game Plus? I am on Chapter 7 and getting a little tired, but I think that playing around the first few chapters on hard with new class setups will be fun. My plan is to keep items, pg, villagers, genomes, summons, and jobs levels, and use entirely new jobs.

My current game setup is:

Tiz: Ninja/Spellfencer
Edea: Templar/Performer
Ringabel: Pirate/Swordmaster
Agnes: Spiritmaster/White Mage

My New Game Plus goal is:

Tiz: Dark Knight/Vampire
Edea: Monk/Conjurer (hoping that naked Monk can benefit from Conjuring boosts)
Ringabel: Salve-Maker/Freelancer
Agnes: Time Mage/Red Mage (with Black Mage Epic Group Cast for Re-Raise and Red Mage support/heal abilities)

Any thoughts on my New Game Plus setup? The job levels transfer over, but are they unlocked from the beginning or will I need to do the subquests in order too unlock them?

Soriku

OK I'm on chapter 7 now. The boss fights/scenarios are cool. They definitely should've spliced chapter 5 and 6 together since they both elaborate more on characters and there is additional dialogue in both (mainly 5 I've found, but 6 is a rehash with a few new things added here and there).

Oh well.

Soriku

OK for real these new scenarios are awesome. I really liked the one with
Braev, Alternis, and Kamiizumi.
Even if you're
fighting the same bosses again
, they're not as tedious as chapter 5/6.

The red mage asterisk fight is probably the hardest so far, even with abate lightning he does a stupid amount of damage and heals a ton, Going to get 4 reflect rings which should largely trivialize this fight thanks Norende and elixir mammon <3

Top Bottom