• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

it's interesting how, just like walt, if you completely redefine what the scenario is to "win," then you can walk away from any conclusion the "winner"

Yeah its was mentioned how the finale was through Walt's perspective and while we see how he goes out and "wins" looking at it from everyone's elses perspective he is a piece of shit that damaged so many lives. Even in Walt's mind he only seemed to reach his original goal of providing for his family.

A beautiful series finale.

I wonder what the chances of lydia surviving are.

So I just typed "Ricin Poisoning" into google.

It brought up this article.

What are the signs and symptoms of ricin poisoning?

If ricin is ingested, initial symptoms typically occur in less than 6-12 hours. These are most likely to affect the gastrointestinal system and include nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. The symptoms of ricin poisoning can rapidly progress to include severe dehydration and kidney and liver problems. If ricin is inhaled, initial symptoms may occur as early as 4-6 hours after exposure, but serious symptoms could also occur as late as 24 hours after exposure. The initial symptoms are likely to affect the respiratory system and can include difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, chest tightness, and cough. Death from ricin poisoning can take place within 36-72 hours of exposure, depending on the route of exposure and the dose.

Is there an antidote for ricin?

There is none. Because of that, the most important factor is avoiding exposure in the first place.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Did Cranston feel that the meth lord-in-chief ultimately had to die to give many Breaking Bad fans the closure they were seeking? “Because of his love for his family, there was a thought of mine that, ‘Would it be a more perfect hell for him to have to see his family die – his wife, his son, baby daughter — and he lives?’” he says. “And there’s some merit to that too. But ultimately, I think this is the best ending. A real satisfying ending. And I’m so grateful for that.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/30/breaking-bad-finale-bryan-cranston-aaron-paul/

Glad to see that ending was at least seriously considered.

Guess Who

Banned
Out of all the possible reasons for why Jesse didn't shoot him, I seriously fucking doubt that conscious was one of them. Walt isn't a savior to him, regardless of his recent action. He is the one who put him there in the first place. He hates Walt. This was just was just the one last 'fuck you' he could possibly give to him. Not doing what he wanted.

I get where you're coming from, and I definitely agree that was a huge part of it, but at the same time I heavily suspect the writers simply didn't want any more blood on Jesse's hands. Jesse's always been written as a guy who was in over his head and hated and feared all the violence that came out of the drug trade. He's killed two people in the whole show, one in self-defense, and one out of awful circumstances with tears in his eyes that sent him into half a season of crippling depression and drug abuse. Ending his arc with a hatred-fueled bullet to Walt's head would feel really against Jesse's character, in spite of everything Walt had done.

zma1013

Now that the show's over can we agree that Gus was far and away the best part of Breaking Bad? He had such a great mystique back in the earlier seasons. I can't be the only one who genuinely assumed the guy was just the manager of a fast food joint in his first appearance.

Do I think he had the most impactful and well done death scene in the show? Yes. Was he the best part of the show? No. That award belongs to Walt and Jesse's adventures throughout the entire show. All the crazy stuff they did, all the near death experiences they lived through, all the close calls. That's the best part.

Veelk

Banned
it's interesting how, just like walt, if you completely redefine what the scenario is to "win," then you can walk away from any conclusion the "winner"

He fully admitted to skyler and, more importantly, himself. He did it all for himself. And when he talks to skyler, looks at holly, at Walt Jr, it's all in a reminiscent sort of way. But when he is dying, next to his lab equipment, thinking about everything that he did, he smiles and looks blissful.

Walt from an episode ago would have considered this to be his loss, because he was under the delusion that he was still a good person who just did it for his family. But the walt of this episode doesn't lie to himself. He sees things clearly. He knows what a monster he is. And he doesn't care. He's happy because he did what he liked and was good at it. He died satisfied with his life. He cares about his family, but the damage he did was acceptable collateral for him.

Dying satisfied with your life seems like a win to me. Walt is a complete monster of a person for considering this to be a life worth having, but he won by his terms.

I get where you're coming from, and I definitely agree that was a huge part of it, but at the same time I heavily suspect the writers simply didn't want any more blood on Jesse's hands. Jesse's always been written as a guy who was in over his head and hated and feared all the violence that came out of the drug trade. He's killed two people in the whole show, one in self-defense, and one out of awful circumstances with tears in his eyes that sent him into half a season of crippling depression and drug abuse. Ending his arc with a hatred-fueled bullet to Walt's head would feel really against Jesse's character, in spite of everything Walt had done.

I doubt he can just turn off his hatefueled rage a minute after he strangled Todd. I can't see him not hating walt as much as he hates todd, but todd has some serious mental deficiences that make him unable to tell whats moral and not. Walt knew what he was. I can't see him blaming Todd and not Walt.

i think the song ruined the ending

"Baby Blue" was a pretty fitting song for the last scene in this series. Fantastic finale though, a few days ago a friend and I were talking about the season finale (actual spoiler ahead)
and I said that Jesse was going to kill Tod at the first chance he got. Looks like I was right.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I completely disagree

I feel if they had Jesse kill Walt, it would have basically been a sign of Jesse forgiving him or thanking him for rescuing him. Letting Walt linger around a little longer was Jesse's final Fuck You. It just would have gone against character completely.
Him storming out, yes, but the nods they gave to each other nullifies that.

Jesse hated Todd more at that moment. Him treating Jesse like a slave and murdering Andrea in front of him is a different level and perspective to go through than knowing Walt let Jane OD and probably halfway believing Walt about calculating the amount of poison to give Brock.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Just saw the ending. Wasn't horrible, but I didn't think there was anything nearly as HOLY SHIT as the mercury fulminate thing with Tuco or the bomb with Gus.

Glad Jesse got a modicum of revenge by suffocating Todd.[/spoiler]

Over all, I'd probably give the finale a B-.

[quote="PepsimanVsJoe, post: 84083775"]Hank's death kinda fucks the whole thing for me.
My favorite character. =([/QUOTE]

Yeah, they killed him off earlier than I would have liked.

EDIT: Btw, why was the episode called "Felina"?

TUSR

Banned
"Baby Blue" was a pretty fitting song for the last scene in this series. Fantastic finale though, a few days ago a friend and I were talking about the season finale (actual spoiler ahead)
and I said that Jesse was going to kill Tod at the first chance he got. Looks like I was right.

I had the dirtiest smile on my face when
Jesse was choking Tod. All I could think of was "fuck you tod"

Speevy

Banned
i don't see how the gun on a garage door opener was any more mcguyver than most of the other shit he's done. i mean really.

He should have magneted their guns to the wall, then burned burned them with thermite, mercury fulminate, exploding wheelchairs, kind of like a boss run of crazy ideas.

White Man

I wondered if Walt dying in the lab meant he'd get "credit" for producing the last several months worth of blue meth from the police and drug using community.

maharg

idspispopd
Him storming out, yes, but the nods they gave to each other nullifies that.

Jesse hated Todd more at that moment. Him treating Jesse like a slave and murdering Andrea in front of him is a different level and perspective to go through than knowing Walt let Jane OD and probably halfway believing Walt about calculating the amount of poison to give Brock.

I really don't think Jesse hated Walt any less in that scene, nods included. Jesse refused to kill Walt because he knew that's what Walt wanted and he's done being Walt's bitch. He knows Walt will die anyways and he'd rather it be slower.

And come on. Jesse doesn't care if Walt calculated it perfectly. No one would care. It's psychotic logic that doesn't really work. "Oh hey you only HALF poisoned my quasi-son? And it was to convince me to kill someone? Oh yeah then we cool." is not something anyone sane would ever think or say.

I wondered if Walt dying in the lab meant he'd get "credit" for producing the last several months worth of blue meth from the police and drug using community.

Another reason I don't think Jesse would get the full brunt of indictment for anything that happened. When the police arrive things actually look pretty cut and dry. I'm not sure they'd even bother dusting for prints.

rekameohs

Banned

The cops found out that he was hiding in New Hampshire, so I don't think so.

I loved him dying in the lab - where he really lived - though.

Persona7

Banned
How did everyone predict that walt would ricin lydia using stevia packets and walt would build a fucking death trunk popping automaton

Korey

The only "holy shit" moment from the episode was Lydia's death, which I didn't see coming and was masterfully executed.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I really don't think Jesse hated Walt any less in that scene, nods included. Jesse refused to kill Walt because he knew that's what Walt wanted and he's done being Walt's bitch. He knows Walt will die anyways and he'd rather it be slower.

And come on. Jesse doesn't care if Walt calculated it perfectly. No one would care. It's psychotic logic that doesn't really work. "Oh hey you only HALF poisoned my quasi-son? Yeah then we cool." is not something anyone sane would ever think or say.
After he has time to think and see his wound, yeah, he doesn't want to be Walt's bitch.

But if his hate was at the same level as it is for Todd currently, he would have brutally murdered him like he did Todd in the past or before he had time to think about what Walt wants/ doesn't want.

There not going to be buddies but Jane/Brock doesn't compare to what he witnessed Todd do to Andrea after being a slave as far as pure suffering goes.

Jesse also knows what Walt felt seeing Hank's execution from someone willing to pull the trigger in that situation with Andrea compared to how it feels to be behind the trigger of a strategic kill.

I think so since they think he's was making it all this time.

plus it places all the heat on him.

I love how Marie gets owned once again

Nah. If he withered away in the New Hampshire cabin, the world knowing him as a fraud and with him doing nothing for his family in the end, and letting the nazis run free with his money...that's an L.

"Live free or die"

I hurt inside, I can't handle these feels.

p.s. my boyfriend has literally been crying since the show ended 3 hours ago.

Did you call him a bitch?

Walt's last words are "Well, goodbye Lydia".

lol

I wanted him to say "Sorry, Jesse", but at least we got the manly nod of understanding

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Another reason I don't think Jesse would get the full brunt of indictment for anything that happened. When the police arrive things actually look pretty cut and dry. I'm not sure they'd even bother dusting for prints.

Yeah and plus everyone assumes Walter was still cooking. Chances are everyone besides Marie thought Jessie was a pawn.

Veelk

Banned

Even if they think the White Case ends there, they just found a nazi compound. They are going to look into the people they've killed, and search their home for what they did.

I like to think that Jesse gets away with it or atleast gets off light, because any jury with a shred of empathy is going to cut the kid a break once they hear what happened, but the idea that they don't find him is ridiculous to me.

Top Bottom