• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Speevy

Banned
A better finale would have been if Jesse killed Walt.

This one was playing it safe in almost every way, and in doing so made the finale merely ok rather than great.

Jesse's not a killer. He's a drug dealer who made some bad choices in his life. Do you really think having him shoot a dying man as an act of justified revenge ends Jesse's character?

No, when we see him last, he's finally free from the chains that bound him, at least for now. That's as good an ending as anyone could hope for given the circumstances.

Nekofrog

Banned
I think the only thing I was disappointed about with Breaking Bad is we never got a complete and full picture regarding Gus and his back story. A prequel involving his rise to prominence just seems more interesting and easier to pull off to me. Plus I just see Gus as a character who can carry a series more so than Saul.

It's not The Gus Fring show.

Korey

Jesse saw the wound. He knew Walt was alreadydead.gif

Yea, but it wouldn't have had the same effect. The episode needed that last punch in the face but it just kind of faded out.

Another possibility would have been if Marie did something (not sure what).

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Hank and Gomez were so closely monitoring Jesse at that point that Jesse was living in Marie's house. He was basically constantly with them or within their range of surveillance, working with them on the Heisenberg case. There is no way he goes missing at the same time they do and she doesn't make the conclusion that the guy who was constantly with them in the days leading up to their disappearance was with them when they disappeared.

And if, somehow, she doesn't make that link, her home is ransacked shortly aft her husband's disappearance/death, and evidence only Marie, Hank, Gomez, and Jesse could possibly know exists (as Marie saw them setting up to record Jesse's confession) disappears. There's just no way Jesse doesn't look shady as fuck, from the outside.

I just think of all the times Hank went to the DEA saying stuff they all shot him down. They tired to stop looking over Mike he trying to find a new way every time. DEA probably doesn't care they just want the big catch and just close the case.

I really wish though they played last weeks episode and this one back to back because honestly they feel like one episode.

jtb

Banned
Walt committing suicide via Jesse would have been fucking infuriating. As if Walt didn't get to end enough things on his own terms as it was.

My ideal finale: Walt goes to the Nazis, and they open the trunk and shoot him in the head. The end. No one gets any money, Jesse doesn't get to escape, etc. Now that's an ending that has both closure and balls.

Anth0ny

I can't be the only person that thought for a second that Jesse was going to hit walt with the car, right? When he's backing up Walt is right in the mirror and then is goes past him again.

Nope, I thought so too. Camera angle almost made it look like it was gonna happen.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I'm not sure he cares at this point. He's free and alive.
he's free for about a week, then the cops catch up him because:
a). jesse is stupid
b). jesse is broke
c). Jesse is probably in need of medical care
d). saul is gone
e). secret unofficial snitch agreements with dead cops don't count for much

#teamwalt wanted Walt to die? Huh.
dude had cancer, he was always going to die.

zma1013

This one was playing it safe in almost every way, and in doing so made the finale merely ok rather than great.

Yeah, the entire series, the only way I pictured the ending was with Jesse somehow killing Walt. With all the f#$%ed up shit Walt's done to him throughout the show, there's just no way I see him just walking off. On the flip side of that, Jesse had already expressed that he was no longer going to do anything Walt told him, so shooting him wasn't exactly in line with that thinking when Walt was begging him to do it.

Speevy

Banned
Walt committing suicide via Jesse would have been fucking infuriating. As if Walt didn't get to end enough things on his own terms as it was.

My ideal finale. Walt goes to the Nazis, and they open the trunk and shoot him in the head. The end. No one gets any money, Jesse doesn't get to escape, etc.

And then the Nazis go kill Skyler for fun.

What a great finale.

rekameohs

Banned
What if, for some reason, Brock's grandma decided to take him out to a cafe and he decided he wanted some more sweetner in his juice before a certain woman in blue came?

Ooooops.

Perhaps they exist in a world were every other person's avatar isn't a walter white picture so he isn't as recognizable as he would be to you or me. Just spit balling here.

A guy walking in and out and around a house that is supposed to be watched over by the police would be suspicious. Walt taking that risk doesn't make sense. I understand why the scene was done, and the content was great, but it really was silly just like it was with Todd/his family breaking in to threaten Skylar.

Yeah I don't like when it's too on the noise.

I liked this better, though it probably doesn't capture Walt's recuperations

Veelk

Banned
Yea, but it wouldn't have had the same effect. The episode needed that last punch in the face but it just kind of faded out.

Jesse shooting him wouldn't have meant anything except that he was still following his orders, doing what he wants. By not shooting him, he is finally out of his control and free.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Killed Jack & Avenged Hank. Reconciled with Skyler. Hatched the best possible plan for leaving his son/family money. Showed up Gretchen and Elliot. Killed Lydia. Freed Jesse. He died happy.

#TeamWalt won.

He made the best out of a bad situation in the end, but in the grand scheme of things, yeah Walt won....

Touch

It was awesome seeing my city in the Need for Speed trailer they showed. Alot of the movie was shot here. Most of the trailer was our downtown/Riverwalk area.

I really wish everyone from this show the best of success moving forward they all deserve it.

border

I wonder if the "alternate ending" was ever actually something that was intended to be aired, or if they just wrote/shot it to prevent spoilers from leaking out?

Jesse didn't kill Walt because he would have been letting him win completely. Jesse was going to get what he wanted (Walt dead) regardless. Why kill him and put that on his already broken psyche. Walt and Jesse both let each other go which is as close to a reconciliation as they ever could reach.

Guess Who

Banned
Jesse shooting him wouldn't have meant anything except that he was still following his orders, doing what he wants. By not shooting him, he is finally out of his control and free.

Plus I just don't think Jesse has it in him to kill an old, already-dying man who just saved his life. Dude's made some mistakes in his life but he has the biggest heart and conscience of any character in the show.

Now that the show's over can we agree that Gus was far and away the best part of Breaking Bad? He had such a great mystique back in the earlier seasons. I can't be the only one who genuinely assumed the guy was just the manager of a fast food joint in his first appearance.

I think the only thing I was disappointed about with Breaking Bad is we never got a complete and full picture regarding Gus and his back story. A prequel involving his rise to prominence just seems more interesting and easier to pull off to me. Plus I just see Gus as a character who can carry a series more so than Saul.

I think the reason for this is that Gus wasn't suppose to be a main character. Writers decided to make him a central plot point due to audience reaction. Clasped hand over mouth for his finale.

jtb

Banned
And then the Nazis go kill Skyler for fun.

What a great finale.

Actions have consequences. Jesse and the White family... they deserved some kind of happy ending (compared to their respective current situations), but that doesn't mean they should have gotten one.

rekameohs

Banned
I wonder if the "alternate ending" was ever actually something that was intended to be aired, or if they just wrote/shot it to prevent spoilers from leaking out?

Jane Kaczmarek was on set one day, so I'm assuming they pulled a "Malcolm in the Middle prequel" joke.

I admit... I have a bit of a crush on Lydia (or at least the actress that plays her "Laura Fraser"). Especially when she's wearing that sexy business attire.

Did anyone else think that Walter was going to use some of the meth before he died?

P.S. Goodbye Breaking Bad. I'll miss you.

I completely disagree

I feel if they had Jesse kill Walt, it would have basically been a sign of Jesse forgiving him or thanking him for rescuing him. Letting Walt linger around a little longer was Jesse's final Fuck You. It just would have gone against character completely.

Veelk

Banned
Plus I just don't think Jesse has it in him to kill an old, already-dying man who just saved his life. Dude's made some mistakes in his life but he has the biggest heart and conscience of any character in the show.

Out of all the possible reasons for why Jesse didn't shoot him, I seriously fucking doubt that conscious was one of them. Walt isn't a savior to him, regardless of his recent action. He is the one who put him there in the first place. He hates Walt. This was just was just the one last 'fuck you' he could possibly give to him. Not doing what he wanted.

I don't want a prequal, the mysteriousness of Gus being careful and all makes his character better.

Going all George Lucas with bad prequels would kill the infamous of Gus. All that we know from him is from the people around him knew and saw. The furthest we dialed back was also through two other characters that were present on the show (Don Eladio and Tio)

White Man

Overall, I liked the ending a lot. I wasn't expecting it to top Ozymandias. I think The Shield definitely still holds the crown for best antihero ending.

it's interesting how, just like walt, if you completely redefine what the scenario is to "win," then you can walk away from any conclusion the "winner"

jtb

Banned
I don't want a prequal, the mysteriousness of Gus being careful and all makes his character better.

Going all George Lucas with bad prequels would kill the infamous of Gus. All that we know from him is from the people around him knew and saw. The furthest we dialed back was also through two other characters that were present on the show (Don Eladio and Tio)

Completely agree. Frankly, I thought we already got more backstory than we needed to with the whole Hector backstory (though that was obviously needed to set up Face Off)

Less is more. Especially when it comes to creepy, villainous types.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
it's interesting how, just like walt, if you completely redefine what the scenario is to "win," then you can walk away from any conclusion the "winner"
Nah. If he withered away in the New Hampshire cabin, the world knowing him as a fraud and with him doing nothing for his family in the end, and letting the nazis run free with his money...that's an L.

Top Bottom