• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

no don't go, fill me in brother!

???

I'm saying that the ending made it perfectly clear that people like me were watching the show correctly, and people like Maureen Ryan and Emily Nussbaum were doing it wrong the whole time.

Dear lord, I wish I could be there at the New Yorker offices to troll the fuck out of her in person. I hope her twitter feed is miserable tomorrow.

It would have made more sense if Walt had killed her after he talked to Skyler and learned that she sent some goons to threaten her. That way the motivation for the ricin poisoning would be more about protecting family than just the more tenuous and less believable motivation of "He had to shut down the entire business."

Lydia was also the reason the blue stuff still existed. Remember, he partly returned to ABQ to stop production of the his formula. It's why he wanted to kill Jesse, at first.

Veitsev

Nice to know that leaving your wife and two kids penniless in a shitty apartment hating your guts with nothing else to show for your own mistakes is what counts as a victory for TeamWalt.

Except $9 million to Walt Jr (delivered personally by the people Walt believed stole his legacy), revenge (victory) against all his enemies, inner peace in knowing that he was Heisenberg all along and accepting that, and the notoriety of being a criminal mastermind.

???

I'm saying that the ending made it perfectly clear that people like me were watching the show correctly, and people like Maureen Ryan and Emily Nussbaum were doing it wrong the whole time.

Dear lord, I wish I could be there at the New Yorker offices to troll the fuck out of her in person. I hope her twitter feed is miserable tomorrow.

There's something miserable going on right now and it's not in her Twitter.

I expected a little more out of the finale, admittedly something that would have completely blown my mind, but that feels almost silly to want.

The entire series was some of the best TV to ever air, there's no way in hell I can complain.

Tookay

Season 4 was great but the finale, as cool as it was, was just Walt defeating Magical Drug Man and then pretending that everything would be cool forever now even though he had no money left and tons of evidence pointing to him. It wasn't really a conclusion to the story or to Walt's character arc.

But Walt blowing up somebody's face is way cooler than tying up loose narrative ends and staying true to your themes apparently.

I'm so glad that people who thought Jesse killing walt would have been a better ending didn't get their way. That would have just been Gale all over again and shown no development of Jesses character. His refusal was his final 'fuck you' to walt. He's done with Walt's manipulation.

And Walt was fine with that.

lol, I thought you guys meant in a previous episode.

Walt would have no idea that Lydia tried to kill him until...well, it actually happened.

Not really since she was shown to be predictable and paranoid so it wouldn't be a stretch

But it didn't matter anyways since she was dead already.

rekameohs

Banned
How did Walt know that Lydia would use the sweetener he'd spiked with ricin?

I like to think he slipped a teensy bit into every table, never can be too careful.

To people wondering about Lydia at the cafe...

Walt and Lydia's first meeting (Gliding Over All):
8k0iy5Z.png

Walt and Lydia during the "Crystal Blue Persuasion" montage (Gliding Over All):
8nrIm7F.png

Todd and Lydia meeting (Granite State)
sYTNyVD.png

Todd, Lydia, and Walt meeting (Felina)
0zQM4QU.png

Looks like the same table to me, though Todd was at the "meeting table" and Lydia wasn't in their meeting.

People were expecting a longer scene with Walt and Jesse? What? Did you expect them to talk about their feelings? Huh?

Their friendship/partnership had been over for a while. "Do it yourself" said it all, really.

While I generally agree, and maybe the nodor him offering Jesse the gun sufficed, I'd have actually liked to see Walt say "I'm sorry," to Jesse.

I like to think he slipped a teensy bit into every table, never can be too careful.

That's the table they always met at.

Plus he made sure there was only one packet of it there at the table, forcing her to use that one first.

Lydia sits at the same place every time. He probably filled the whole table up with it.

Edit: Oh there was only one. Even easier.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
What a fantastic show, while I enjoyed the finale I think I was expecting too much out of it.

Nothing during it really surprised me but I still enjoyed it.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
"Live Free or Die"

I can't imagine Jesse's future will be an easy one.
Doesn't really matter. The last scene of Jesse is him ecstatically getting away. He "Lives Free". That dream scene of him building that toolbox also gives hope that he will find a better life.

Btw, Walt doesn't "Live Free" obviously. He "Dies", but he does it on his own terms. He felt "most alive" when was cooking; that's probably what he was thinking during his last seconds.

If I had one qualm, it's how Walt got the ricin into the stevia packet. Like, how does one do that in such short time so that it appears sealed out of the factory? Or did I miss something?

I don't think Walt was sorry with regards to Jesse. He may have taken pity on him in the final moments after seeing what he had been through. Notice how he never tells Skyler sorry either.

Tookay

While I generally agree, and maybe the nodor him offering Jesse the gun sufficed, I'd have actually liked to see Walt say "I'm sorry," to Jesse.

He didn't need to say it. I'm not quite sure he even is sorry, but at least he understands what he's inflicted finally. His actions spoke louder than words.

Speevy

Banned
I don't think Walt was sorry with regards to Jesse. He may have taken pity on him in the final moments after seeing what he had been through. Notice how he never tells Skyler sorry either.

He basically tells Skyler that she ruined his life so badly that he had to cook meth to feel like a person again.

I'm not sure most women would like that.

That is why I really loved the Skyler scene. Him finally just saying I did this all for me not his family. Really wish we got one last scene with Jesse and Walt just saying something at least.

I think it would of been better if Walt said that to Jesse and not Skylar.
It would have felt more complete in my opinion.

Because it's about him following through on actions not his words.

That is the difference between Heisenberg and Walter White.

No half measures.

That was a thoroughly satisfying conclusion for me.

Although the commercials revealed this to me:
Jesse speeds off into the night, the racing wind whipping the car reminded him that all he really wants to do is race. So, he changes his name to Tobey Marshall, becomes a mechanic, and then something happens and he is framed for a crime he did not commit. Now he is out of jail and we will find out what happens in "Need For Speed," the sequel to Breaking Bad. Sorry if other people have already made the joke.
Yeah.

"I did it for me. It was fun and I was good at it. It made me feel... alive."
THAT is the way to live a life.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
if the imdb ratings say so it must be true

shawshank redemption is in fact the best movie of all time

all dem TNT re-runs don't lie bruh

Man what an excellent wrap-up of all the loose ends. Fairly predictable as someone had guessed the way most of that would go out here and there, but it was a fun ride and who really saw the whole thing with Elliot and Gretchen coming? Most of us assumed they'd get dumped to the side and were simply a catalyst to get Walt's blood boiling again. Loved everything about the Nazi's getting slaughtered, especially when Jack got his head blown off mid sentence, hank-style. And watching Todd get strangled, and Lydia having to learn the news all at once.

Jesse letting Walt live was, in my opinion, not a sign of him caring about Walt so much as his realization that Walt was bleeding anyways and after all that he would just be giving in to him again by letting him take the easy way out. Jesse left Walt to bleed that shit out. He was finally a free man from Walt's bullshit.

Watched it with 9 other people in a finale party and it was so great to have everyone together freaking out about stuff as it was going on. Even if the ending was guessed by the collective fan supercomputer over the internet little by little, it still maintained a level of satisfaction that gave the fans a great way to go out. I'm going to miss this. Thanks for everything Walt, now burn in hell.

Yes, that's the cover story for the feds. You don't think Flynn and Skylar would figure it out?

Did you watch the episode ? Walt tells them they will use their rep as generous donors to donate to victims of meth empire which includes Flynn and skyler and the fact that Walt founded the company with them so its a generous donation to them for their support walt is dead

Mononoke

Banned
Alright guys, it's been a real pleasure. I really am grateful to everyone on this site that made the final season an amazing experience. We might not have agreed on everything, but I feel we had a lot of really meaningful conversations and debates. This will be my last post in this thread, because I really don't have much else to say.

Overall I really loved the Breaking Bad. I do think it's probably my favorite show of all time (I think the Wire is technically a better show, but Breaking Bad's pulpy story made it more enjoyable to me. And I think it has those high caliber elements that allow it to be seen on the same level as the other classic shows in this art form).

It's been great. :)

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
If I had one qualm, it's how Walt got the ricin into the stevia packet. Like, how does one do that in such short time so that it appears sealed out of the factory? Or did I miss something?
Dude built a sentry gun. You don't think he can open a sugar packet, put some ricin in, and glue it back up? :p I could do it in 20 seconds with an exacto knife and a glue stick.

He didn't need to say it. I'm not quite sure he even is sorry, but at least he understands what he's inflicted finally. His actions spoke louder than words.

Which is why I am fine with the scene entirely. I'm just stating what I personally would have loved to see there.

Dude built a sentry gun. You don't think he can open a sugar packet, put some ricin in, and glue it back up? :p I could do it in 20 seconds with an exacto knife and a glue stick.

Think it's a bit tougher to pull it off than that, but okay.

maharg

idspispopd
Except $9 million to Walt Jr (delivered personally by the people Walt believed stole his legacy), revenge (victory) against all his enemies, inner peace in knowing that he was Heisenberg all along and accepting that, and the notoriety of being a criminal mastermind.

One major loss in this calculation is that his family will never know it was him who gave them that money. And that credit is definitely something that's been shown as being important to Walt. He almost refused the kickstarter laundering plan because of it.

Top Bottom