• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Felt like there was at least 5 minutes left. Anyway, pretty tightly packed ending. It accomplished what it wanted to but there wasn't enough down time for everything to sink in.

I didn't like the last shot, the bullet wound was an unnecessary detail and I would have liked to see how Walt carried himself when he was apprehended. Head held high or shameful. Him lying down maybe bleeding out was incredibly unsatisfying

zma1013

The finale was fine. Not great or surprising but they didn't shit the bed.

This entire last season has been lacking in creativity, something the show had in droves early on. While the final season was good, I think it might have been one too many. It would have been very easy to hit all of the same character beats with Gus in place of the Nazis. In fact the Nazis just feel like a cheap replacement for Gus.

I can't agree on that at all. Some greatly creative moments in many of the episodes this season. Giant magnet, train robbery, what happened directly after train robbery, the completely out of left field Hank blackmail/threat tape.

The Nazis weren't anything like Gus though, at all. They were wreckless and casual about everything they did. Their solution to everything was to just kill it. It was actually kind of sad seeing these idiots disrespect Walt as an old broken man rather than the Heisenberg we've seen build up on the show.

hyp

the only thing that bugged me were the keys to the Volvo conveniently falling from the visor. too easy.

Natiko

Banned
I don't think Walt was sorry with regards to Jesse. He may have taken pity on him in the final moments after seeing what he had been through. Notice how he never tells Skyler sorry either.

Of course he's not sorry. He's accepted and embraced that he's Heisenberg. He wouldn't apologize for anything at that point.Even in the end he rejoiced in his work.

I know that Gilligan apparently said that the money gets to Walt Jr on Talking Bad, but the plan still seems kind of flimsy to me. The show has outlined the incredible difficulty of laundering large amounts of illicit cash without raising suspicion, any kind of large donation of money to the Whites from a past associate of Walter White will probably earn some token level of suspicion from Skyler or the DEA, and if Walter being dead garners the huge news story it would presumably earn, then Elliott and Gretchen might have to wonder who's paying The Best Hitmen West of the Mississippi™ or making sure that they don't just run off with the money.

It's probably not supposed to be looked at too closely, but it seems like it contains way too many... moving parts, for lack of a better term, to be a reliable plan involving 9 million dollars in cash of illegal drug money.

I know that Gilligan apparently said that the money gets to Walt Jr on Talking Bad, but the plan still seems kind of flimsy to me. The show has outlined the incredible difficulty of laundering large amounts of illicit cash without raising suspicion, any kind of large donation of money to the Whites from a past associate of Walter White will probably earn some token level of suspicion from Skyler or the DEA, and if Walter being dead garners the huge news story it would presumably earn, then Elliott and Gretchen might have to wonder who's paying The Best Hitmen West of the Mississippi™ or making sure that they don't just run off with the money.

It's probably not supposed to be looked at too closely, but it seems like it contains way too many... moving parts, for lack of a better term, to be a reliable plan involving 9 million dollars in cash of illegal drug money.

Walt was the founding member of grey matter it could easily be given as a trust based on being family of a founding memebrr

zma1013

Dude built a sentry gun. You don't think he can open a sugar packet, put some ricin in, and glue it back up? :p I could do it in 20 seconds with an exacto knife and a glue stick.

Or an easier way to do it would be to inject it into the packet with a tiny needle. It would have a small, unnoticeable hole, and the packet would remain sealed.

If I had one qualm, it's how Walt got the ricin into the stevia packet. Like, how does one do that in such short time so that it appears sealed out of the factory? Or did I miss something?

There was only one stevia packet which looked a bit suss, only 1 pack at 10am? Walt no doubt set it up that way before hand and he knew Lydia would use it because her behaviour is highly predictable. He knew exactly when she was going to be there, where she would sit and what she'd order.

Jarmel

Banned

I'm sure they figured it out. There is no better motivator than fear.

Tookay

Walt transformation would have been complete there, it was an almost perfect ending considering that Jesse "peaked" in that season too.

At least it would have been better than the actual ending with that stupid track in the background (sorry if I sound bitter but again I'm totally disappointed).

His transformation was complete in a sense, but his downfall wasn't. This is a show that deals with repercussions. To have him essentially get away with it and transform into Heisenberg and end it there is not thematically coherent.

This whole season needed to exist as falling action as consequences piled up from his choices. It may have been predictable and safe for some, but I'm glad it didn't try to out-think its audience or have characters act differently than we'd expect after five seasons.

Persona7

Banned
There was only one stevia packet which looked a bit suss, only 1 pack at 10am? Walt no doubt set it up that way before hand and he knew Lydia would use it because her behaviour is highly predictable. He knew exactly when she was going to be there, where she would sit and what she'd order.

Same thing happened in a previous episode. Lack of stevia.

It's hard to launder money when you don't have a huge corporation.

9 million? Drop in the bucket for Gray Matter. So that's fine.

As for the news/cops getting word of it? The money isn't supposed to be dispersed until Walt Jr. is 18 anyways, which is 10 months from when Walt Dies.

With Walt dead and the Schwartz family being all about saving victims of Meth and the drug industry it's not outside of the possibility that the DEA and cops would not look in on it because they would still be so busy with the puzzle of Walter himself.

DarkFlow

Banned

If there's one thing rich people are good at, it's hiding money.

tumblr_mtu012FLSB1qdm5ngo1_400.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
One strange thing is that since this whole ending happened because of Jesse's guilt, why would he be okay with simply escaping now?

I suppose his last freak out was realizing what Walt had did to him and he realizes that is what caused his ex to be shot in the head, but how could he possibly live with himself after the euphoria of being free wears off?

Jarmel

Banned
I thought this was a flawless ending. I've read some of the reviews and the complaints about it being 'too perfect' or 'predictable' but for me that tells me that Gilligan stuck the landing. He didn't want to create this shocking ending but rather one that put a period on the characters, their development, and relationships. He wanted to give closure, which is what any ending should strive for. Yes Walt essentially won but that's not necessarily approving of his actions. The show has gone out of its way to show the consequences of his actions.

That's not what I'm talking about. All of that made perfect sense. I'm talking about the process of actually putting the ricin into a packet and sealing it to the point that someone wouldn't notice it was previously opened.

But some people here seem to claim they've done it and it's super simple. I just figured it not being factory-sealed would be obvious but I may be wrong here.

Resilient

His transformation was complete in a sense, but his downfall wasn't. This is a show that deals with repercussions. To have him essentially get away with it and transform into Heisenberg and end it there is not thematically coherent.

This whole season needed to exist as falling action as consequences piled up from his choices. It may have been predictable and safe for some, but I'm glad it didn't try to out-think its audience or have characters act differently than we'd expect after five seasons.

Yes, this!!

ramyeon

Fantastic episode. It was everything I wanted from the finale.

Brief thoughts/favourite scenes.

Walt's confession to Skyler that he did it all for himself and that he enjoyed being Heisenberg was fantastic.

Jesse's fuck you to Walt as he told him to "Do it himself" for the first time ever, I was waiting for this.

And Walt (Supposedly) dying in the meth lab while Baby Blue plays... perfect ending.

Natiko

Banned
I honestly thought the finale was perfect. We got to see Walt exact his revenge and take out everyone he wanted to. He figured out a way to leave his money to his family which I genuinely did not see coming unlike many other parts. He saved Jesse from his captivity despite originally wanting to kill him. He visited the lab one last time and admired it all before succumbing to an injury that was, while accidental, caused by his own hands. The show was clearly building up to many of these things, being mad that it didn't surprise you when it had left only a few logical options on the table doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

In the end, I still felt bad for Todd in a kind of Dahmer way. Not that I condoned all the shit he did, but Todd seems like the kind of guy who would have been really swell had he been raised in a healthier environment and had some therapy. I mean when all's said and done, I don't think Todd really understood why all of the bad things he did were bad. He didn't react the way I expected - even when his fellow Aryans are taken out, he's super casual and reacts more out of confusion than shock.

I'm glad my predictions of Jesse killing Todd and the relative innocents surviving worked out. IIRC I predicted that Walt would kill himself, so that technically worked out.

I'm glad that Walt and Jesse kind of ended things... with a bit of understanding. The closest thing to an apology that he could have mustered this episode. I was always kind of waiting for him to soften the blows he's made, and I suppose that's as good as I'll get.

It was also pretty satisfying to see Uncle Jack told to effectively fuck off, and the always prim and proper and in-control Lydia looking a mess and left with the knowledge that she has only a day of suffering left.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just saw it.. I was very satisfied.

What a fantastic show, I will miss these characters.

That's not what I'm talking about. All of that made perfect sense. I'm talking about the process of actually putting the ricin into a packet and sealing it to the point that someone wouldn't notice it was previously opened.

But some people here seem to claim they've done it and it's super simple. I just figured it not being factory-sealed would be obvious but I may be wrong here.

They're probably peeling it apart from the top. I used to do that with those KFC towelettes. Not sure if it's possible with the sugar packaging but making it look good as new doesn't seem like the hardest thing to do with. He had all that morning to set it up and probably switched it out right before she got in. Someone with too much time on their hands will probably zoom in on the scene where she takes the packet and shows exactly how it was tampered with.

I've done enough gloating, so this will be it for awhile, but I'll say this:

Walt-haters thought Vince Gilligan was playing checkers.

#TeamWalt knew the whole time that he was playing chess.

Sean

Banned
Fantastic finale overall but I'm a little disappointed that Walt "won" in the end. He accomplished exactly what he set out to do in the pilot, which was to make a ton of money for his family before dying. He said his final goodbyes, got Skyler off the hook, has Elliot and Gretchen fearing for their lives, got revenge on the nazis and Lydia, and died on his own terms without ever seeing the inside of a jail cell (just like he told Hank in "Blood Money").

I felt like Granite Slate would've been a more satisfying ending - Walt cut off from the outside world, dying alone in a cabin with a barrel of useless money that he's burning in the fireplace just to keep warm, etc. I was hoping they'd do something more along those lines.

maharg

idspispopd

If they're supposed to have hundreds of millions of legit money, laundering 9 million is trivial. They just store it somewhere and use it instead of their own money as petty cash. Doesn't matter how long it takes, they're not hurting.

I agree but I have so many problems with this last episode: the number of coincidences, the dumb machine gun, the stupid farfetched plan to give money to junior, the unsatisfying ending for Jesse...I think they fucked themselves with the flashforward in 5A.

Sometimes when people complain about coincidences in breaking bad I wonder what show they're watching. I'm not sure there's an episode in the series that doesn't rest to some extent on a coincidence of some sort.

ToeKnee

Neo Member
Couldn't have asked for a better ending.

When the nazi leader tried to use money as leverage and Walt just calmly headshots him.. so satisfying.

The whole scene when Walt was at the Schwartz household was so tense.

Walt uses science (more or less) once again to devise a makeshift sentry for his M60.

The blue meth dies with Walt, thus reinstating the Heisenberg legacy.

"I did this for myself" scene was great.

Top Bottom