• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

blackflag

It was a satisfying ending. Maybe not to the level of The Shield but overall the season was better.

Dat mid sentence faceshot.

I had to wait an extra couple hours to watch because my DVR decided to break and didn't record it while I was at the gym.....

border

How is this a victory for TeamWalt? Their battle cry the whole time has been "He did it for his family!" and Walt flatly admits that he did it for his own selfish reasons. It feels like they put in that line explicitly for the purpose of silencing all the people who want to justify his actions through some kind of warped morality.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
How is this a victory for TeamWalt? Their battle cry the whole time has been "He did it for his family!" and Walt flatly admits that he did it for his own selfish reasons.
Walt got revenge on everyone, cemented his legacy as Heisenberg, gave up Hanks body for a proper burial and got money for his family, which was the ultimate goal.

him finally admitting that he had fun doing it is a relatively minor issue.

he even got to see his family again!

and made sure that Skylar got away with her part in it!

.GqueB.

Banned
The problem is that in the past somwthing always went wrong with Walt's plans. Now everything went too smoothly in an almost fan-fictiony way.

IMHO he shouldn't have neither been able to give the money to Junior nor get away from Jesse with a nod...

plus the ending shot with the music in the background was totally cheesy, and for a series that used silences in such a masteful manner in the past it's really a letdown they chose (once again) style over substance.
The only part that kind of bugged me was the gun in the trunk. They don't check his car for some reason and then they're all conveniently standing in the perfect position to be shoot and killed except for the two narratively relevant people. It was pretty stupid.

Everything else felt fine to me for the most part. Agreed about the ending though somewhat. When the song came on it took me right out of it.

How is this a victory for TeamWalt? Their battle cry the whole time has been "He did it for his family!" and Walt flatly admits that he did it for his own selfish reasons. It feels like they put in that line explicitly for the purpose of silencing all the people who want to justify his actions through some kind of warped morality.

But he left them behind a bucket load of money. Not even death can stop Walt

A MAN PROVIDES

Cloudy

Banned
The only part that kind of bugged me was the gun in the trunk. They don't check his car for some reason and then they're all conveniently standing in the perfect position to be shoot and killed except for the two narratively relevant people. It was pretty stupid.

Everything else felt fine to me for the most part. Agreed about the ending though somewhat. When the song came on it took me right out of it.

He set the car that way on purpose. Don't you remember how he spun it when he was told to park?

Walt got revenge on everyone, cemented his legacy as Heisenberg, gave up Hanks body for a proper burial and got money for his family, which was the ultimate goal.

him finally admitting that he had fun doing it is a relatively minor issue.

he even got to see his family again!

He lost his family, his son wants him to die, he lost Hank, he caused Jesse great pain, he will forever be known as a monster, will never know his daughter, and he died.

To say Walt "won" is ridiculous.

What happened in the finale is that Walt was able to rectify some of his wrongs to an extent. He brought closure to his family for Hank, he is able to give money to his children, and he was able to eradicate the blue meth operation (serving justice) and saved Jesse.

I believe he found peace at the very end but I wouldn't argue he won. He most certainly lost in the end but he was able to clean up some of the mess he made.

DarkFlow

Banned
Because I enjoy the bad guy winning, I wanted it to end this way.

Walt kills Jr for being a whiny bitch and ruining everything, Bitch slaps Skyler for letting Jr be a bitch. he rides by Marie's house and posions here with the rison. He then takes the m60 and busts in Rambo style killing all the Nazis save Todd. He then frees Jesse and let's him kill Todd. Jesse thanks Walt, and they both ride off into the sunset.

border

Off topic, but are they doing a split season for The Walking Dead this year? At the rate AMC is going, I imagine they will end up splitting the final season of Walking Dead over like 3 years.

sappyday

1380525378394.jpg

FafaFooey

I don't know if this theory has already been posted, but that last scene with Walt putting his bloody hands all over the equipment.. Does anybody else think he did that to give off the impression he was still responsible for all that blue meth on the market?
When he got wind of it after visiting Elliot and Gretchen, he seemed really insulted.

kehs

Banned
My emotional reaction was a big grin when Jesse drive away, elated to be free and Brock out of danger.

Mine was more mid episode, with walt looking at jr, and talking with skysky.

I don't know if this theory has already been posted, but that last scene with Walt putting his bloody hands all over the equipment.. Does anybody else think he did that to give off the impression he was still responsible for all that blue meth on the market?
When he got wind of it after visiting Elliot and Gretchen, he seemed really insulted.

Yup, he got to take credit for the blue meth ( his empire), he freed jesse ( his guilt), he taught jesse chemistry since jesse managed to make heisenberg level meth ( his teacherness), and finally taking ownership of his actions (suicide my m60).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Probably, yeah. And it also showed us his appreciation for his craft.

Mine was more mid episode, with walt looking at jr, and talking with skysky.
Yeah I felt dat too ;_;

rekameohs

Banned
fortunately there's low winter sun to tide us over. not to mention talking sun, where they tackle interesting questions like, so did anyone watch tonight's episode?

AMC's Talking Talk, with Chris Hardwick. On tonight's episode, we discuss AMC's Talking Mad hosted by Chris Hardwick, with superfan AMC's Charlie Collier and AMC's Talking on Wheels host Chris Hardwick. Stay tuned for AMC's Better Talk Saul with Chris Hardwick.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Good finale, but I didn't like Jack shoving Jesse in front of Walt. Seemed awfully forced.

"Jesse is cooking for you"
"WHAT? TODD BRING JESSE IN HERE WALT NEEDS TO LOOK AT JESSE"

It was more like, "Jesse is your partner." Walt was implying that Jesse was his equal. He was baiting him. And it worked. A little convenient, but I enjoyed it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
He lost his family, his son wants him to die, he lost Hank, he caused Jesse great pain, he will forever be known as a monster, will never know his daughter, and he died.

What happened in the finale is that Walt was able to rectify some of his wrongs to an extent. He brought closure to his family for Hank, he is able to give money to his children, and he was able to eradicate the blue meth operation (serving justice) and saved Jesse.

I believe he found peace at the very end but I wouldn't argue he won. He most certainly lost in the end but he was able to clean up some of the mess he made.
But obviously we are talking about Walt's ability to rectify the situation given the events of Ozymandias. If we are talking about overall, then of course Walt didn't win. That's the point of the show. He broke bad, he "lost" as a human being the moment he decided to cook crystal meth.

But that's not the point. Tonight, the man Walter White has become lived free and died. Given where things got to up to this point, this was a total victory.

But he left them behind a bucket load of money. Not even death can stop Walt

A MAN PROVIDES

lol. So good.

And damn....All the theories of Walt killing Gretchen and Elliot with the M60 or using the Ricin on them were actually tame for what they now have to go through now. They have to live their lives thinking they have hitmen looking over their shoulders guarding Walt's drug money to one day make them accomplices.

Heisenberg'd.

My opinion on this whole #TeamWalt thing is that Walt lost. Gretchen put it best during Granite State:

"the sweet, kind, brilliant man that we once knew long ago.. he's gone."

That's when Walt finally accepted his actions and was ready for the consequences. Walt lost and was gone. All that was left was Heisenberg. That's why he admitted to Skyler his true intentions, because he finally accepted who he really was.

Him dying in the meth lab was symbolic for who really won. #TeamHeisenberg.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The ending of the relationship between Jesse and Walt was exactly where I think it needed to be. They could never be buddy buddy again, but Walt saving Jesse and them walking away peacefully with a kind of understanding was perfect.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
I'm at a loss for words. That was just magnificent. They didn't go overboard or fail to meet expectations. It was darn near perfect in my eyes

gnrmjd

One strange thing is that since this whole ending happened because of Jesse's guilt, why would he be okay with simply escaping now?

I suppose his last freak out was realizing what Walt had did to him and he realizes that is what caused his ex to be shot in the head, but how could he possibly live with himself after the euphoria of being free wears off?

One thing that always seemed to bother him was that he got off scot-free without the Universe punishing him. But now it did. So I think he can move on from that knowing he paid his dues and served his time.

rekameohs

Banned
Honestly now I wish the series ended with Ozymandias but with Jesse getting shot instead of getting kidnapped...

It's pretty nice that you can have the option of ending with "Ozymandias" if you want a downer ending, or "Felina" if you want all of the loose ends tied up!

Yup, he got to take credit for the blue meth ( his empire), he freed jesse ( his guilt), he taught jesse chemistry since jesse managed to make heisenberg level meth ( his teacherness), and finally taking ownership of his actions (suicide my m60).

Yep. It was such a great way to end the series, IMO. He got the best ending he could get in the scenario he was in.

All those things you mention are great wins considering that after Jesse started colluding with Hank, we were never going to get a truly happy ending.

There's no way to spin this finale except as a huge W for Team Walt.

But obviously we are talking about Walt's ability to rectify the situation given the events of Ozymandias. If we are talking about overall, then of course Walt didn't win. That's the point of the show. He broke bad, he "lost" as a human being the moment he decided to cook crystal meth.

But that's not the point. Tonight, the man Walter White has become lived free and died. Given where things got to up to this point, this was a total victory.

But to look at it only in the context of the episode and not the series is kind of stupid.

And even in this episode he had to watch Jr walk from the bus home and it was heartbreaking for Walt, quite clearly.

Walt won tonight's battle but lost the war. To be all #TEAMWALT WON BITCHES! sounds really dumb.

All those things you mention are great wins considering that after Jesse started colluding with Hank, we were never going to get a truly happy ending.

There's no way to spin this finale except as a huge W for Team Walt.

You're an actual troll, so you won't bait me.

Tookay

The problem is that in the past somwthing always went wrong with Walt's plans. Now everything went too smoothly in an almost fan-fictiony way.

IMHO he shouldn't have neither been able to give the money to Junior nor get away from Jesse with a nod...

plus the ending shot with the music in the background was totally cheesy, and for a series that used silences in such a masteful manner in the past it's really a letdown they chose (once again) style over substance.

Read up the song's lyrics. There's definitely some substance to the choice, considering how it relates to the themes of the episode and series.

great finale! definitely a lot of fan service and a bit too tidy but still satisfying.

saddest scene was Walt watching his son come home from afar. a part of me wanted Walt to shout to jr for one last goodbye but that would've jeopardized his evening plans. they had such wonderful bond together. shame

I'm perplexed how Walt got shot. Walt (and Jesse) were well below the line of fire as they scuffled onto the ground. I guess it could've been a ricocheted bullet but I'm not convinced. since I am no ballistics expert, I'll have to buy what happened.

also funny how after all the frisking the nazi henchmen didn't bother to check the trunk.. oh well. too bad for them lol

sad to see the show come to an end. looking forward to the spin off. i believe they can repeat the magic

kehs

Banned
The ending of the relationship between Jesse and Walt was exactly where I think it needed to be. They could never be buddy buddy again, but Walt saving Jesse and them walking away peacefully with a kind of understanding was perfect.

I absolutely loved it, Jesse realized buddy has no more control over him, even in his rearview mirror, he doesn't need to do what he asks anymore. Even if jesse has pretty much nothing tangible or direct to live for, he still has that sense of happiness from freeedom. I think aaron's paul favorite "bitch" was unspoken as he drove through that gate.

Totally unrelated, I hope we get a jesse/brock, two and half men type series out of this.

Zampano

Where did he get the M60? I was hoping that would be covered since episode one. That's hardly an insignificant item to acquire.

Great show and finale. Will be missed.

Top Bottom