• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

1) What was the song that played during the finale promo?
2) Anyone have the link to that 2 hour series recap? I need to relive the series again

Korey

What do you guys think of this ending:

• Walt's entire family gets killed. Skyler, Flynn, Holly.

• Walt's cancer gets cured. He has to live with this for the rest of his life in jail. All five seasons and everything he went through was for nothing.

This would have been at least 100x better than the "play everything as safe as possible and tie everything up in a neat bow" ending what we got and would have put Breaking Bad's finale into god tier category instead of just meh-tier.

Opiate

Well nobody would have picked up on the ricin unless they showed a separate scene of her dying (which would have been a waste of time).

I don't really agree. This is the difference between (how I understand) Dexter operates and how Breaking Bad operated: not every action has to be explained out in intricate detail.

Well lucky I don't think that at all then!

I think he'd do it because he's going to die soon anyways and he'd rather go out on his own terms, having proven his mastery over everyone who wronged him than rotting in a prison cell while his cancer ate him.

so instead of fleeing the scene successfully (something he is highly capable of doing) he would have stayed to prove to the cops they can't get him because haha too late i did myself before you showed up!! xp

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Just finished watching it...somehow remained spoiler free until tonite, even had a very close call clicking this thread earlier by accident.

Fucking fantastic, quite pleased with how everything turned out. Hank getting killed was definitely a highlight of the series for me, I really didn't think they'd do that. Mixed feelings on Jesse getting away, I would have enjoyed him getting got as well (I like unhappy endings)

Was very pleased to see Lydia and Todd get it as well.

Walt going out like a straight G!

I will miss this show but it ended at the perfect time, couldn't have asked for more.

R.I.P. Mr. White, it's been a slice.

~Kinggi~

Banned

• Walt's cancer gets cured. He has to live with that for the rest of his life in jail. All five seasons and everything he went through was for nothing.

This would have been at least 100x better than what we got and would have put Breaking Bad's finale into god tier category instead of just meh-tier.

But the ending was god tier, in many's opinions.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
But the ending was god tier, in many's opinions.

Put me in that category, I thought it was fucking great.

Edit: Hatehatehatehate on Walt all you want, he's been the most consistently entertaining and interesting protagonist in the last 20 years of television, maybe ever.

jtb

Banned

• Walt's cancer gets cured. He has to live with this for the rest of his life in jail. All five seasons and everything he went through was for nothing.

This would have been at least 100x better than the "play everything as safe as possible and tie everything up in a neat bow" ending what we got and would have put Breaking Bad's finale into god tier category instead of just meh-tier.

Walt doesn't deserve prison. He deserves to die.

This is basically the Dexter ending. And it's stupid.

maharg

idspispopd
so instead of fleeing the scene successfully (something he is highly capable of doing) he would have stayed to prove to the cops they can't get him because haha too late i did myself before you showed up!! xp

Run away to... what? He has no money, he's on the verge of dying of lung cancer, and everyone he ever loved hates him. What's he gonna run away to exactly?

Dug

Banned

Nah, I like the idea of him dying in the meth lab better.

The Sopranos ended in a meh way and it's still god tier. This ended how everybody expected and it's still god tier. It still ended beautifully and will be up there among the greatest. It may have not been to your tastes, but it seems to be to that of many others.

hamchan

1st point is alright but a bit sad and we already have the sadness for the family with Hank dying. His family being shoehorned and contrived into dying somehow would not be good. Only reason that would happen is the nazis coming back and killing them for no reason at all.

2nd point is horrible and does sound like the Dexter ending.

The finale is "god-tier" as is. Also, those suggestions are terrible lol

Meh-tier... are you sure you didn't watch the Dexter finale by mistake?

Would have been terrible. It sounds like it's edgy for the sake of it...and I have a hard time thinking how it would make any sense. Everyone he knows somehow dies and his cancer is miraculously cured?!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
His whole family dying seems just as predictable and would come off as intentionally pulling too hard at heart strings. Hank alone dying is much more effective, as the rest have to live with his loss. The emotional damage everyone who survived has to endure is a lot more affecting compared to them all being dead.

Nameless

Run away to... what? He has no money, he's on the verge of dying of lung cancer, and everyone he ever loved hates him. What's he gonna run away to exactly?

Yeah, he pretty much expresses to the arms dealer, Gretchen & Elliot, and Skyler that his death is part of his end game.

Had he survived the M60 I imagine he would have committed suicide by cop like he was about to do the first second we meet him. It was over.

rekameohs

Banned
I wonder if somewhere in Belize Mike is smiling that Lydia at last got what she deserved.

Part of me thinks that Mike actually would've liked what Walt was doing in the finale. Giving money to his family without them knowing, saving Jesse, plus that whole "If we're going to go that way, you're going to need a bigger knife" thing was so Mike.

he'd surely figure something out, that's what he's always done

just cause he has no money doesn't mean he's option-less

he wouldn't just off himself like that

ALTERNATIVELY i really do think he'd turn himself in rather than kill himself

so for me its either he keeps running or actually turns himself in

rekameohs

Banned
Yeah, he pretty much expresses to the arms dealer, Gretchen & Elliot, and Skyler that his death is part of his end game.

Had he survived the M60 I imagine he would have committed suicide by cop like he was about to do the first second we meet him. It was over.

Speaking of the arms dealer, I like that Walt tells him that the M60 is never leaving town when he buys it, and then immediately leaves town and assembles it in the desert.

Nameless

I like how Walt pulled from his dealings with Jack when spooking Gretchen & Elliott. Both with referencing "that other way" and the handshake.

And it worked. Jack is a scary dude.

Nameless

Speaking of the arms dealer, I like that Walt tells him that the M60 is never leaving town when he buys it, and then immediately leaves town and assembles it in the desert.

Well I believe Walt said it was never leaving the state. Haven't listened to the podcast yet was that To'hajilee ?

Ithil

Sounds like "Look we made a dark ending!" for the sake of it.

dabig2

I'm surprised that people are surprised Walt would target Lydia. She was for all intents and purposes the true kingpin of the entire meth operation. It was all her contacts and money and support that kept the operation flowing. Walt, Jesse, and Todd were just cooks. The nazis were just muscle. Lydia was the operation.

Of course she had to die. That's not even getting into the fact that Walt knew what type of creature she was. She's much too dangerous to leave alone, especially when you take down her entire operation. Who knows in what way she would've lashed out.

rekameohs

Banned
Well I believe Walt said it was never leaving the state. Haven't listened to the podcast yet was that To'hajilee ?

In Live Free or Die, the dealer asks him if it's crossing the border, and Walt replies "it's never leaving town". I'm just making a little joke. The writers really didn't know what was happening in the flashforwards, so I'm just poking a little fun at them.

Red Comet

Haha I found out earlier today that my grandmother spent all of yesterday watching Breaking Bad. She found the marathon on AMC and watched all of the last season and the finale. She wants to go back and watch the previous seasons now.

i would kill for fake news coverage of all of this shit like we got with the plane collision. i don't know why. we didn't get to see that side of it; neither did walt, so i guess that's how it's supposed to be.

Ithil

Haha I found out earlier today that my grandmother spent all of yesterday watching Breaking Bad. She found the marathon on AMC and watched all of the last season and the finale. She wants to go back and watch the previous seasons now.

I can't imagine doing that. You would be so lost. This is a straight serial show.

rekameohs

Banned
i would kill for fake news coverage of all of this shit like we got with the plane collision. i don't know why. we didn't get to see that side of it; neither did walt, so i guess that's how it's supposed to be.

Yeah, that would be really awesome. It would be a nice webisode or something.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
tHMhsWm.gif

Ideas are spreading

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Would've been pretty bad. Why would Holly deserve to die? Her only connection is with the White family/being a part of that family. And Lydia would've most likely been dead in your scenario anyway if Walt didn't go out in a blaze of glory.

If anything it'd be Walt and Jesse dead. Or Jesse dead with the nazis (for all the shit he caused this season to Walt after Walt gave him numerous chances to not "dick around with me") and Todd still alive and respects Walt enough to just get away (though I question why Walt would allow that to happen) and Walt somehow alive (dropping to the floor while letting the LMG fire?) to face court.

Really, if anything Marie, Skyler, Flynn, Holly really didn't do anything to deserve a bad end. But the rest of them? Yeah, I'd go for a complete death wipe on the rest of the cast.

L00P

I'm glad you didn't write the ending

Looking pretty different to how he did before, enough hair on his head and face to hide it, as well as different glasses and clothing style. Not entirely realistic I guess... but certainly not implausible.

His face has been on the national news for months - likely in the local news for even longer. Every cop in the city would LOVE to be the one to collar Heisenberg. It's silly. It doesn't ruin the episode, but even for a show that relies 75% on contrivance and coincidence to propel its plot forward, it's pretty implausible.

Not to mention, how the hell did he get all the way to New Mexico in a stolen car? He's probably one of the most wanted men in America. If they suspected he stole a car, they'd have cops on every highway in America - especially the ones from New Hampshire to New Mexico - looking for it. Perhaps he switched the plates, but then how did they find and identify his car at the Denny's within the same day?

She said five minutes, he was pretty clearly there before that so obviously knew the DEA wasn't watching it at that point as he'd only just orchestrated the 'spreading thin'

They said that, but neither Marie nor Skyler KNEW, for sure, when the cops would come. Maybe they were watching the house all day. It's already a show where Nazis who are afraid of the police take a stupid risk like sneaking into a house being watched by police, but now the main character, a nationally-hunted fugitive who they're looking for all over town, takes an even bigger risk, going so far as to stand outside looking forlornly at the house so we can have a trite little shot of him looking at his son for the last time.

I don't think its completely out of the question they'd accept it nor do I think its out of the question they'd reject it. What's important is that Walt believes they'd accept it, and I see no reason for him not to do so. Money from a legitimate business, it could be explained away as stocks Walt always kept, his legacy in the business and so on and so forth. Again, not entirely out of the realm of plausibility (certainly not so in a show written like BB)

It's not COMPLETELY out of the question, but given Gretchen and Elliot's public disowning of him, it would be VERY suspicious for them to suddenly give Flynn $9 million. Flynn is avidly against accepting Walt's money, knows of their past with Walt, KNOWS Walt had no stake left in the company, etc. Not to mention, $9 million is an absurdly high amount for a trust and would be VERY hard to sell to the public - as well as the DEA, who are scrutinizing the Whites' finances like mad.

Why would they have any need to? They frisk him, they take him into the club house, they're about to shoot him. Where was the point he was ever going to get access to the trunk of his car?

They were worried about him being wired. Maybe there's a recording device in the trunk? Maybe they put two and two together, realize he's maybe still miffed over the Hank thing, and wonder if he maybe has a bomb in his car? The whole ending required the Nazis to be pretty careless. (It also required Walt to be a mechanical whiz, in addition to simply being a chemistry supergenius.)

Walt saying I won was less on the nose? What? It wasn't even about Walt realising. It was about him owning up to it.

It's less on-the-nose than having him come out and say it, less on-the-nose than that final song, yeah. It's not SUBTLE, but it's a little more subtle. At the very least, it was a more effective ending (relative to its season) than this one was. Ending with ANOTHER successful, over-the-top Walt plan is cheap, safe, and does little to settle the story in any kind of unexpected way - and I mean on levels other than plot.

Top Bottom