• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Tookay

I think a lot of people's problems with the finale stems from them being fooled by the cinematography and acting that this show was something more than it was. The writing has never put Breaking Bad up to par with stuff like The Sopranos and The Wire.

Suddenly, the veil has been lifted from my eyes. I now realize that this show I have enjoyed so long has been an utter fraud.

Wag

Just rewatching the finale. What does Todd say as he is looking out the blinds right before he says "Mr. White" and Jesse attacks him? I just rewatched that moment a half dozen times and cannot make it out.

I don't think he says much of anything, I think he just goes into something like, "Mr. White, You know..." and Jesse chokes him.

Does he say Jesus? I couldn't make that out either.

PEmEC8F.gif
oh my god LOL

What is the deal with folks thinking some ultra nihilistic "it was all for nothing" ending would in any universe be appropriate for this show?

Kwixotik

No chance Jesse escaped via the cleaner. Saul said nobody gets a second chance with that guy. Besides, Jesse has no way to contact him. That's not to say Jesse doesn't get out some other way though.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
No chance Jesse escaped via the cleaner. Saul said nobody gets a second chance with that guy. Besides, Jesse has no way to contact him. That's not to say Jesse doesn't get out some other way though.

Jesse is a free man. Everyone knowing his involvement is dead, his labs are destroyed and his confession with them. Like before with Walt, they need hard evidence, they have none.

Tookay

What is the deal with folks thinking some ultra nihilistic "it was all for nothing" ending would in any universe be appropriate for this show?

The internet has spent the last decade telling us that unceasing depravity, darkness, and nihilism is the most valid form of conclusion and perfectly applicable to any story.

gabbo

Jesse is a free man. Everyone knowing his involvement is dead, his labs are destroyed and his confession with them. Like before with Walt, they need hard evidence, they have none.

His fingerprints would be all over the lab at the compound, not to mention the room full of dead neo nazis

Kwixotik

So? He's still broke and has no connections. Maybe he eventually leads a happy life, but I don't think he's going straight to Alaska and he's especially not going there through the vacuum guy like some people are saying.

Also Marie knows of his involvement, he has his fingerprints all over a meth lab adjacent to a room full of dead people, and he's going to have to drive by an army of cops on his way out.

maharg

idspispopd
So? He's still broke and has no connections. Maybe he eventually leads a happy life, but I don't think he's going straight to Alaska and he's especially not going there through the vacuum guy like some people are saying.

Also Marie knows of his involvement, he has his fingerprints all over a meth lab adjacent to a room full of dead people, and he's going to have to drive by an army of cops on his way out.

Who's saying he gets away through the vacuum cleaner guy?

Jesse would be happy with a simple life of pumping gas for people at this point.

He's gonna go for Alaska.

He's gonna get bored and stop in Portland

He is going to end up running the best little artsy/craftsy coffee shop in town.

(He learned to make meth - he learned how to make coffee on that same equipment, too)

xenist

Jesse is fucked as shit assuming the APD and the DEA don't have their heads up their asses. No one got away from this. Everyone is fucked.

Assuming Jesse didn't get picked up from the cops as he sped away from where they thought Heisenberg was, I'd say it's likely he just kinda... drives. He could go to Mexico, South America - somewhere where his identity and past don't really matter.

I think a lot of people's problems with the finale stems from them being fooled by the cinematography and acting that this show was something more than it was. The writing has never put Breaking Bad up to par with stuff like The Sopranos and The Wire.
Man, I ALMOST believed you, but then I rememberd that Breaking Bad has been amazing from the beginning, that it got exponentially better over time and that the shows you mentioned had lousy final seasons.

The post-Heisenberg Walt these last 2 episodes has been fascinating.

Walt is Heisenberg when he's scheming to save his own skin or making a power move. In the finale, we're seeing a world-weary, broken Walt who still has his genius, but has given up both desire for power and any notions of self preservation.

But this isn't the same pre-Heisenberg Walt either. His insecurities are totally gone, he's no longer suffers from crippling insecurities about his success in life or manhood. His interactions with Skylar and Jesse are amazingly cathartic and exhibit the most genuine honesty and sincerity we've ever seen from him. You see true heartbreak when he glimpses Walt Jr, but also a real, un-cynical acceptance of that sadness, too.

I wish we could have seen more than 1.5 episodes of this Walt. In his last transformation, he is so at peace with himself, it's amazing.
Totally agree, I thought that as well when watching Granite State.

inm8num2

Did Jack destroy Jesse's confession? If not I think the police and DEA find it. Between that and additional information from Marie regarding the fact that Walt was in cuffs, I think they figure out Jesse probably is long gone after being a method slave for 6 months.

Rewatched it again.......such a good song. I don't get how a show can make me feel this way. Makes me wonder if I'll ever die close to what I love.

Nameless

Did Jack destroy Jesse's confession? If not I think the police and DEA find it. Between that and additional information from Marie regarding the fact that Walt was in cuffs, I think they figure out Jesse probably is long gone after being a method slave for 6 months.

I'm sure Lydia made Todd eat the tape while she watched

KalBalboa

Banned
Lol, you'll have to do better than that. I wouldn't describe myself as a Walt hater.

Go on, we're waiting.

Anybody who took issue with Walt's cowardice and selfishness was validated by Walt flat-out admitting he was as such.

It was a transformative piece of humility and one of the best moments on the show.

Lamel

Banned
Lol, you'll have to do better than that. I wouldn't describe myself as a Walt hater.

Go on, we're waiting.

Jesse%20Cry%20Hug.gif

It's okay, it'll be okay.

But on a more serious note, I know people who really clearly hated Walt did not appreciate any redemptive quality that he may have displayed in the finale.

Jesse%20Cry%20Hug.gif

It's okay, it'll be okay.

But on a more serious note, I know people who really clearly hated Walt did not appreciate any redemptive quality that he may have displayed in the finale.

Ok. I personally didn't see it as redemptive on his part though. He admitted his faults and then embraced them until his last breath in the meth lab.

The post-Heisenberg Walt these last 2 episodes has been fascinating.

Walt is Heisenberg when he's scheming to save his own skin or making a power move. In the finale, we're seeing a world-weary, broken Walt who still has his genius, but has given up both desire for power and any notions of self preservation.

But this isn't the same pre-Heisenberg Walt either. His insecurities are totally gone, he's no longer suffers from crippling insecurities about his success in life or manhood. His interactions with Skylar and Jesse are amazingly cathartic and exhibit the most genuine honesty and sincerity we've ever seen from him. You see true heartbreak when he glimpses Walt Jr, but also a real, un-cynical acceptance of that sadness, too.

I wish we could have seen more than 1.5 episodes of this Walt. In his last transformation, he is so at peace with himself, it's amazing.

And I think because of that his plan went super well (along with some lady luck).

No ego to fuck it up like the magnet job.

sappyday

I'll admit that the Gus arc was still the best parts of Breaking Bad. So fucking good. Now looking back at season 5 it feels like it was all over the place. I still enjoyed it but if you ignore the fact that there was 1 year wait, then season 5 a lot of stuff happens. The aftermath of Gus, the rise of Walt's empire, Mike's death, the introduction of Lydia, the introduction of Todd and the Nazis, Walt retiring, Walt's cancer comes back, Jesse retiring and going into deep depression (albeit again), Hank finding out, Jesse finding out about Brock, Jesse and Hank team up, the Nazis running the meth empire Walt left behind, Hank dying by the Nazis, Walt losing his family and running away, Jesse becomes a slave, Saul runs away, Huell still stuck in that safe house, Walt going to New Hampshire, Walt coming back, Walt says goodbye to Skyler, Walt kills the nazis, Jesse is saved, Walt dies. All that in 16 episodes, compare that to season 4 which only had 3 episodes less where only a fewer things happened but they were paced well and it took its time.

A lot happened. Because of that I'm gonna say it, I think this was one of the weakest seasons. I may not have shown this before but I realized it today. Don't get me wrong, it being the weakest season still tops some of the best seasons out there of other shows and it's nowhere near The Wire S5 level, but still this season 5 there was no breathing air. I think it will be worse for those marathon the show and go from one episode where Walt is still channeling himself as Gus to a couple of episodes later where he is trying to preserve everything he has left from Hank.

I know many of you guys will disagree and I could see why but for me the seasons now go as:

S4 > S2 > S3 > S1 = S5

Gorillaz

^I agree with you about putting season 4 at the top. The Gus arc was incredible

Idk about season 5 being like season 1 but it's "tied" with 3. I would still give 2nd place to 3 probably

Top Bottom