• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Sanjuro

So? He's still broke and has no connections. Maybe he eventually leads a happy life, but I don't think he's going straight to Alaska and he's especially not going there through the vacuum guy like some people are saying.

Also Marie knows of his involvement, he has his fingerprints all over a meth lab adjacent to a room full of dead people, and he's going to have to drive by an army of cops on his way out.

Walt entering the lab one final time obsolves Jesse of any implications to the meth lab. The police have their Heisenberg.

rekameohs

Banned
Season 4 had the lowest lows and the highest highs of the series, so it would be hard to place. The series is so serialized also that the seasons all work together as a whole. If I had to, I'd go: S5>S4>S3>S2>S1, because I do think that the show continually got better.

sappyday

Season 4 had the lowest lows and the highest highs of the series, so it would be hard to place. The series is so serialized also that the seasons all work together as a whole. If I had to, I'd go: S5>S4>S3>S2>S1, because I do think that the show continually got better.

For me most of season 5 was low, it wasn't until Ozymandias where I felt the show return back to it's amazing parts. Ozymandias, Granite State, and Feline where up there with some of the best in S4.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't rewatched the show, but I remember "The Twins" being by far the low-point.

Like "are you fucking serious" low.

Gus was boring. He hardly ever even spoke. How can you like a character who has no personality, never speaks, and just stands there doing nothing?

I haven't rewatched the show, but I remember "The Twins" being by far the low-point.

Like "are you fucking serious" low.

I love the scene where the twin in the hospital leaps out of bed to get at walt but he has no legs and just drags his bloody stumps across the floor.

maharg

idspispopd
I love the scene where the twin in the hospital leaps out of bed to get at walt but he has no legs and just drags his bloody stumps across the floor.

Man that was the ONE TIME this show broke my suspension of disbelief. I mean this show is so realistic it was weird to have something so absurd happen.

Upon rewatch I don't see what was so bad about the twins. They were caricature-esque but their motivations were clear. They just weren't particularly talkative

The dumbest thing about their whole arc was that sorry excuse of an ambush on Hank

Ok, you've done it. I didn't want to do this, but ya'll have forced my hand.

The one and only correct ranking of Breaking Bad seasons:

5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1

Search your heart; you know it to be true.

Batigol

Banned
I'll admit that the Gus arc was still the best parts of Breaking Bad. So fucking good. Now looking back at season 5 it feels like it was all over the place. I still enjoyed it but if you ignore the fact that there was 1 year wait, then season 5 a lot of stuff happens. The aftermath of Gus, the rise of Walt's empire, Mike's death, the introduction of Lydia, the introduction of Todd and the Nazis, Walt retiring, Walt's cancer comes back, Jesse retiring and going into deep depression (albeit again), Hank finding out, Jesse finding out about Brock, Jesse and Hank team up, the Nazis running the meth empire Walt left behind, Hank dying by the Nazis, Walt losing his family and running away, Jesse becomes a slave, Saul runs away, Huell still stuck in that safe house, Walt going to New Hampshire, Walt coming back, Walt says goodbye to Skyler, Walt kills the nazis, Jesse is saved, Walt dies. All that in 16 episodes, compare that to season 4 which only had 3 episodes less where only a fewer things happened but they were paced well and it took its time.

A lot happened. Because of that I'm gonna say it, I think this was one of the weakest seasons. I may not have shown this before but I realized it today. Don't get me wrong, it being the weakest season still tops some of the best seasons out there of other shows and it's nowhere near The Wire S5 level, but still this season 5 there was no breathing air. I think it will be worse for those marathon the show and go from one episode where Walt is still channeling himself as Gus to a couple of episodes later where he is trying to preserve everything he has left from Hank.

I know many of you guys will disagree and I could see why but for me the seasons now go as:

S4 > S2 > S3 > S1 = S5

5 > 4 > 3> 1> 2

Soule

Definitely agree with those that say Gus arc was the best, what an absolutely enthralling villain. Loved it so much, what a great series I've enjoyed this very much.

Saya

Now that the series is over, what are some your favorite scenes?

I think for me it is one of Gus Fringe's scenes. Maybe the "I will kill your infant daughter" one.

I'll admit that the Gus arc was still the best parts of Breaking Bad. So fucking good. Now looking back at season 5 it feels like it was all over the place. I still enjoyed it but if you ignore the fact that there was 1 year wait, then season 5 a lot of stuff happens. The aftermath of Gus, the rise of Walt's empire, Mike's death, the introduction of Lydia, the introduction of Todd and the Nazis, Walt retiring, Walt's cancer comes back, Jesse retiring and going into deep depression (albeit again), Hank finding out, Jesse finding out about Brock, Jesse and Hank team up, the Nazis running the meth empire Walt left behind, Hank dying by the Nazis, Walt losing his family and running away, Jesse becomes a slave, Saul runs away, Huell still stuck in that safe house, Walt going to New Hampshire, Walt coming back, Walt says goodbye to Skyler, Walt kills the nazis, Jesse is saved, Walt dies. All that in 16 episodes, compare that to season 4 which only had 3 episodes less where only a fewer things happened but they were paced well and it took its time.

A lot happened. Because of that I'm gonna say it, I think this was one of the weakest seasons. I may not have shown this before but I realized it today. Don't get me wrong, it being the weakest season still tops some of the best seasons out there of other shows and it's nowhere near The Wire S5 level, but still this season 5 there was no breathing air. I think it will be worse for those marathon the show and go from one episode where Walt is still channeling himself as Gus to a couple of episodes later where he is trying to preserve everything he has left from Hank.

I know many of you guys will disagree and I could see why but for me the seasons now go as:

S4 > S2 > S3 > S1 = S5
I agree.

I personally didn't hate Walt until he killed Mike. I justified everything.

Poisoning Brock- He knew he wouldn't die from the amount of poison he gave him, and it was to save his life.

Letting what's-her-face choke and die- drugged up Jesse told her his secret and she was threatening to let the world know who he was. You don't threaten a man for drugs.

Killing Mike- NO BITCH. THAT'S IT. I CAN'T JUSTIFY ANYMORE.

Card Boy

Banned
I personally didn't hate Walt until he killed Mike. I justified everything.

Poisoning Brock- He knew he wouldn't die from the amount of poison he gave him, and it was to save his life.

Letting what's-her-face choke and die- drugged up Jesse told her his secret and she was threatening to let the world know who he was. You don't threaten a man for drugs.

Killing Mike- NO BITCH. THAT'S IT. I CAN'T JUSTIFY ANYMORE.

I drew the line at Krazy 8.

y2dvd

I'd like to think that Jesse is now somewhere making wooden boxes for little kids somewhere. Wow that didn't sound right.

You know what I would love to see? A short epilogue novel. One that goes into the events leading up to Flynn's 18th birthday and the fallout from Walt's death. Explore a little bit into what Jesse decides to do with his life. See Flynn finally come to terms with who his father really was. A quick quip into Saul adjusting to his new cinnabun factory. If only Gomie had been left alive I would've loved to have seen what he would have done in the DEA after all this. Maybe one last scene between Gretchen/Elliott and Flynn on the day of, wherein Gretchen finally fully explains what went down at her parent's place those many years ago. But perhaps it is a foolish hope.

Also correct order is this: 4>5>3>1>2

The Gus arc was truly the peak of BB's run, but it's merely the lone outcropping of an otherwise towering plateau over the banal pieces that make up today's serialized drama cross section.

rekameohs

Banned
Now that the series is over, what are some your favorite scenes?

I think for me it is one of Gus Fringe's scenes. Maybe the "I will kill your infant daughter" one.

S1: Walt putting the plate back together
S2: Walt hugs Jesse in the crack den
S3: Half measures speech
S4: Crawl space laughing
S5A: Walt and Skyler confrontation in the bedroom
S5B: "We're a family"

Zocano

S4 > S2 > S3 > S1 = S5

I agree with you about S5. And a lot of your criticisms reflect my response to the finale as well. The finale felt "off" to me. I still have a hard time placing what it is about it but it just didn't *hit* me very hard. The credits started rolling, I took a deep breath, and sort of went "I guess it's over". I think the reason is that, along with season 5, everything came together and happened and resolved itself too quickly and too neatly and then pulled the curtains closed without giving anything much time to breathe or soak in. Walt ping-ponged between everything that "needed" to be addressed and resolved. It all happened in such a short time frame (1 hour) that I felt like sort of dumbstruck by the entire episode (dumbstruck is probably the wrong word).

It was an ending. It was a firm solid no loose ends ending. It just felt too sudden, I think. The entire falling action/resolution of Walt's journey seems to be compiled entirely in these last two episode and I just feel it should have had more room to breathe (I feel the true climax of the show is Ozymandias but this could be easily argued). And because of this, I am just feeling sort of "eh" on the finale.

I read a lot of people saying to the criticisms of the finale that "it happened just as it needed to happened", "it wouldn't have happened any other way", etc. But I'm not criticizing the content of the finale. I enjoyed seeing Walt finally resolve his story with Gretchen and Elliot, Todd, Skyler, and Jesse, but it was the pacing which was off to me.

I'll keep mulling over the ending but I'm pretty sure I have found a firm opinion on it. Also, Gus was still the best, most intriguing, and amazing part of the show. He was the perfect foil to Walter White and I loved him.

S4 > S1 > S2 = S5 = S3

It's really hard to rank the seasons for me. They all have so many strong points to them but Gus makes season 4 and I really adore a lot of season 1 and watching Walter White slowly establish himself. Also "...And the Bag's in the River" is one of the best episodes of the show.

Arment

Been about 14 hours since I watched the episode and I'm still riding this incredible feeling I've had. Got me through work really quickly and now that I'm reading some more reactions and seeing some of the gifs it's coming back a bit. Walking Dead needs to get here soon to attempt to fill the gap that's missing in my Sunday.

Of the 6 of us at work who watch the show only one of us was disappointed but he couldn't really give any reasons. I can't imagine a more perfect ending myself, not right now.

UrbanRats

Finally been able to watch it, i thought it was a great ending.
I really don't care if it was more or less predictable, like some said.

As long as we're doing rankings,

S5 > S4 > S3 > S2 > S1

I honestly felt each season was better than the previous, both from a narrative standpoint and an execution standpoint. As the show progressed I think it's obvious they knew more and more what show they wanted to make and how to make it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Finally been able to watch it, i thought it was a great ending.
I really don't care if it was more or less predictable, like some said.

The predictability of an ending shouldn't matter. Not everything needs an explosive twist. They ended it solidly, not many shows get that opportunity and not every show that does even bothers to do so (I'm looking at you LOST). In the end Walt got better than he deserved, but I like the moral ambiguity.

beastmode

episode-8-walt-uncle-235710-q345154-13451.jpg

Oh man, that painting.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
S1: Walt putting the plate back together
S2: Walt hugs Jesse in the crack den
S3: Half measures speech
S4: Crawl space laughing
S5A: Walt and Skyler confrontation in the bedroom
S5B: "We're a family"

Decent list. I'm going to have to mull over my choices...no way I can narrow it down to just one a season lol

cozo

Season 3 is definitely the best season for me. The conclusion of 3 is the peak of the show imo. Incredible drama. 3 just had so many of the moments that made the show, and the blend of amazing acting and character creation and story-telling that you get from "No Half Measures" to "Full Measure", I don't think any show ever thrilled me as much as it did then, there was no way they could ever reach that level again, tho 5b did go pretty big. Also the final scene in 3, with Walt saying "23 Wantabo.... YEAH" was incredible.

The ending's machine gun moment did have a little touch of that but I've never minded knowing that they couldn't top the end of 3, it was pure alchemy.

3 > 5b > 2 > 4 > 5a > 1. Or something like that.

Cramoss

What do you guys think of this ending:

• Walt's entire family gets killed. Skyler, Flynn, Holly.

• Walt's cancer gets cured. He has to live with this for the rest of his life in jail. All five seasons and everything he went through was for nothing.

This would have been at least 100x better than the "play everything as safe as possible and tie everything up in a neat bow" ending what we got and would have put Breaking Bad's finale into god tier category instead of just meh-tier.

I'm sorry but that ending its terribad. Why is the bolded part always considered a bad thing?

Tookay

Breaking Bad is like that sports team that racked up a ton of points and massacred the other side for most of the big game, so much so that the final couple minutes are fairly predictable. It just needed to ride things out in the only way possible and not try anything stupid.

The finale did that. Maybe you were expecting a twist or something unexpected, but it was smart for them to deliver on the character beats and not try to over-think things.

I'm glad that this was an ending that didn't try to overshadow the whole series; instead, it forced you to take the whole thing into account. Its legacy was already secured, they just needed the game to end.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Breaking Bad is like that sports team that racked up a ton of points and massacred the other side during the big game, so much so that the final couple minutes are fairly predictable. It just needed to ride out the game in the only way possible and not try anything stupid.

The finale did that. Maybe you were expecting a twist or something unexpected, but it was smart for them to deliver on the character beats and not try to over-think things.

I'm glad that this was an ending that didn't try to overshadow the whole series; instead, it forced you to take the whole thing into account. It's legacy was already secured, they just needed the game to end.

Exactly. If they had gone for something shocking, sure everyone would have freaked out but odds are it wouldn't be remembered as fondly as it will be now. It's not often that we get something that got to end in a solid way, in a way that made sense and didn't try to throw a last minute twist at us.

Breaking Bad is like that sports team that racked up a ton of points and massacred the other side for most of the big game, so much so that the final couple minutes are fairly predictable. It just needed to ride things out in the only way possible and not try anything stupid.

I'm glad that this was an ending that didn't try to overshadow the whole series; instead, it forced you to take the whole thing into account. Its legacy was already secured, they just needed the game to end.

The series high point was Ozymandias. The death of Hank, Walt Jr. finally finding out who his dad really was and the final destruction of the Walt/Jesse dynamic (though they wonderfully turned that on its head in the finale). The two final episodes served as a fitting coda to the entire series; not quite as dramatic and unpredictable than all that preceded it, but it being more about Walt accepting that he did it all because it was the only thing in his life that made him feel truly alive. I don't quite see how people see it as a happy ending, as Walt basically fucked over his entire family to die alone by the side of his own true love. No amount of money in the world is going to fix the damage done to Walt Jr.

Also I can't wait to watch this all again at some point down the line. I just need to find someone who has never seen it, so I can vicariously live those wonderful, heart stopping moments again.

Tookay

The series high point was Ozymandias. The death of Hank, Walt Jr. finally finding out who his dad really was and the final destruction of the Walt/Jesse dynamic (though they wonderfully turned that on its head in the finale). The two final episodes served as a fitting coda to the entire series; not quite as dramatic and unpredictable than all that preceded it, but it being more about Walt accepting that he did it all because it was the only thing in his life that made him feel truly alive. I don't quite see how people see it as a happy ending, as Walt basically fucked over his entire family to die alone by the side of his own true love. No amount of money in the world is going to fix the damage done to Walt Jr.

Well said. It isn't happy in the least.

And, honestly, even the "victories" that take place in the episode itself are pretty flimsy: there's no guarantee that the money scheme will work or that Jr. will accept it, there's no knowing that Jesse will be ever be truly okay after what's happened, and Skyler's legal troubles may not end with the GPS coordinates. The only thing that's truly permanent is that the Nazis and Lydia are gone, and presumably the remnants of Walt's empire.

maharg

idspispopd

Also I can't wait to watch this all again at some point down the line. I just need to find someone who has never seen it, so I can vicariously live those wonderful, heart stopping moments again.

It's really interesting to me, and I feel it says something about how television stories are usually structured, that people keep referring to the last two episodes as an epilogue or a coda when what they really are is simply the denouement. Most other storytelling mediums don't end on the climax, but television (when it reaches an overall arc climax at all) does tend to, to the point that people have trouble recognizing a normal story structure when they see it.

Tookay

To be fair, in addition to television, most movies don't really have a falling action or denouement worth a damn anymore either, especially the blockbuster ones. The vocabulary of and familiarity with both mediums' storytelling has sort of changed and gotten confused as a result.

Top Bottom