• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Dash27

Walt's plan included Jesse, who wasn't in the house at the time. Walt had no way of knowing that Jack would react the way he did to Walt's remark about Jack partnering up with Jesse. Especially since in Ozymandias it was shown that Jack can't be swayed by words.

It was shown that Jack was especially distasteful of "rats" which is what he knows Jesse to be. Walt was aware of this and used it to his advantage.

I do love a good hatchet job, regardless of my allegiance to the intended target. However, please do not invoke Weeds as some kind of positive. Especially, considering how that turned out. Anyway, he's written about Breaking Bad before. He couldn't get through the second season and gave up. I suppose if you don't buy into the premise, reject the absurdity of it, then you're on a hiding to nothing with it. Most of the people I know that struggled to get into the show, failed to get anything out of the absurdity of the Walt and Jesse dynamic; which is the heartbeat of those early seasons.

Nicktendo86

It was shown that Jack was especially distasteful of "rats" which is what he knows Jesse to be. Walt was aware of this and used it to his advantage.

Yep, this episode showed how observant Walt is, especially with the whole Lynda thing.

I think the whole gun operated by the car key thing was a little far fetched, but there have been so many far fetched moments in this show. It was perfect for me, I couldn't imagine how he would walk in with that big M60, the obvious answer was of course he wouldn't, he would use his brain to come up with some far out machine. It was a wonderful finale.

Nyx

Walt was a liability. Unless Jack actually believed Walt's story about inventing a new method of making meth without the key ingredient, there was no reason why Jack would take Walt inside for a long talk.

To me Jack seemed like someone with a big ego as well as a huge love for money.
If Walt has a proposition that will mean more money for Jack, ofcourse he's gonna listen.

Walt's plan included Jesse, who wasn't in the house at the time. Walt had no way of knowing that Jack would react the way he did to Walt's remark about Jack partnering up with Jesse. Especially since in Ozymandias it was shown that Jack can't be swayed by words.

I see, well you've got a point there I guess, didn't bother me as much though.

Because they suspected Walt of trying something? Hell, they checked his body for guns and wires, why would they not check every inch of the car, too? More so, because they probably know that Walt has used car-trackers before.

Because they saw that he was near death from cancer maybe? He didn't look like someone with a big plan, especially not a rotating machine gun in the trunk kind of plan lol.

Anyway I can understand that EVERYTHING working out being a bit too much for some people, but it didn't bother me as much, we have seen Walt's luck many times before.

For all Walt's brilliance, I don't think he ever imagined that Jesse was being used as a meth manufacturing slave with the lives of Andrea and Brock being held above his head as motivation. Walt turned the conversation to Jesse out of desperation, in an attempt to remain in the room and potentially retrieve his car keys. His plan was elaborate, but it wasn't that elaborate.

Courage

felina-2.jpg

I love this shot.

It's like the scene where Walt and Jesse are separated by the bags of money. He's distanced himself from the people that care about him so much.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The more I think about it, the more I dislike Walt's final 'grand plan'. The use of the automated machine gun requires way too much 'lucky coincidences' to work. I mean, in order for his plan to work perfectly, which it did, Walt had to rely on:

1. The building and room being small enough for the gun to cover everything
2. Everybody being in the room
3. Jack believing Walt and not shooting him the moment he entered the club house/premises
4. Jack falling for Walt's gloating
5. No one checking the trunk of his car for bombs

I really believe the writers wrote themselves in a corner by including the flash forward where Walt gets the gun in the first episode of the fifth season, without having a clue what he was going to use it on. If they hadn't done that, I'm pretty sure Walt would've dealt with Jack and his gang in a different way.

By the way, how dumb was Walt by calling Lydia to tell her she was going to die in a few hours? We know from the beginning of the fifth season that Lydia has all kinds of contacts in the drug/gangster world. Who's to say she didn't call one of her hitmen or her 'friends' in Croatia the moment Walt put down the phone to call in a last minute hit on Skyler, Holly and Walt Jr.?

I like the show and all, but that "grand plan" was ludicrous for many of the reasons you point out. I think my exact thoughts were "you have to be kidding me". The worst part (besides apparently no one else being able to hit the floor when gunfire erupts) is the fact that they are all in the same building. I mean, come on. No guards by the gates anymore? Seriously?

Re: the writers writing themselves into a corner, I'm pretty sure they did not introduce the m60 and not know what they are going to do with it. These aren't amateur writers who write show by show without a plan in mind (aka the Lost writers (love lost)).

Re: calling Lydia, you forget this man's ego.

The one thing I really can't stand about the finale is that Walt's death wound up being entirely accidental, just a stray bullet from the gunbot.

The one thing I really can't stand about the finale is that Walt's death wound up being entirely accidental, just a stray bullet from the gunbot.

I kind of felt that way at first, but I guess it makes sense since this entire chain of events was triggered, "accidentally" with Walt seeing Jesse climb out that window.

Re: the writers writing themselves into a corner, I'm pretty sure they did not introduce the m60 and not know what they are going to do with it. These aren't amateur writers who write show by show without a plan in mind (aka the Lost writers (love lost)).

Re: calling Lydia, you forget this man's ego.

I heard a podcast where Vince Gilligan said that's exactly what they did: when they shot that scene they didn't know what would happen with it. "We'll figure that out later".

Also Lydia called Todd and Walt picked up the phone, he didn't call her. I find it more satisfactory that Lydia knows she's dying, she seemed in a bad state enough that her last moments were probably spent freaking out.

thekenta

and it would have been better if he had been stood up and been gunned down with the rest of the lowlifes. When he dove and pulled Jessie to the ground, his intent there was certainly not to get shot.

No, if he didn't do that, Jesse would've died right there with them.

Kinyou

felina-2.jpg

I love this shot.

It's like the scene where Walt and Jesse are separated by the bags of money. He's distanced himself from the people that care about him so much.
btw. how exactly can she cut a deal from this? "I tell you where the bodies are and you let me go" ? In a way that sounds just more incrminating

Courage

btw. how exactly can she cut a deal from this? "I tell you where the bodies are and you let me go" ? In a way that sounds just more incrminating

I think they wanted Skyler to tell them as much as they could about Walt and what he did. Once Walt's gone, the best they could get would be the location of Hank's corpse.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, and then he got shot accidentally.

So, what you're saying is, he should have pushed Jesse down, then push the unlock button on the key and then casually gotten up in the line of fire, while holding Jesse down with his foot?

Something like that, right?

So, what you're saying is, he should have pushed Jesse down, then push the unlock button on the key and then casually gotten up in the line of fire, while holding Jesse down with his foot?

Something like that, right?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

What death wound? Did you not get the fact that the entire episode repeatedly emphasized he was on death's door from the cancer? He could barely walk, he closed his eyes in half the scene, everyone who talked to him said he looked like shit, his coughs seemed end-stage. He had discontinued chemo (in and of itself an indication that he would imminently die) several weeks prior.

Focusing on the fact that he happened to get shot in the stomach is totally missing the point. The blood stain on the lab equipment is evocative, certainly, but Walt would have laid down and died in that building, whether it was shooting himself, Jesse shooting him, his plan getting him shot, dying trying to take out the Nazis, blowing up the lab, or just going to sleep.

You know how in fiction, people have just enough life energy to say their "last words", and then they die? And how that's hard to believe, and convenient, and elegant--but how it does actually happen in life? Walt was hanging on just enough for those last ten minutes to happen. What inflicted a mortal wound was completely irrelevant. Hell, the show doesn't even explicitly show him die. If we're fixated quite so literally on the event of his bleeding, then we have no proof he's dead. Maybe he didn't bleed out. Maybe the cops managed to keep him alive and he got put in an ambulance and lived happily ever after. No, it's common sense. He died. He went there to die. He's been dying for a while. This was it.

I'd rather have a lucky shot killing him. This adventure started with his luck, it'd only be fitting if it ended with his luck running out.

His luck did run out; his cancer recurred.

I agree with you about S5. And a lot of your criticisms reflect my response to the finale as well. The finale felt "off" to me.

When Ozzymandis aired, I felt like that was the true finale, and I knew everything after that was just going to be epilogue. There could have been nothing more epic than that episode. And the truth is, TV Show finales are probably so hit and miss because you CAN'T end a show that has run 5+ seasons in an hour.

It might have been a bit more satisfying if they just aired Ozzymandis, Granite State, and Felina back-to-back-to-back. But I can't see how else they could have ended the story. I knew it had to be Jesse, Todd and Walt at the end. If it wasn't, then the only other way was a really dark route where both Walt and Jesse were killed by the Nazis.

Also, my personal opinion on the Wire is while that show was intense from start to finish, they ended the main conflict
killing Stringer
well before the finale and it seemed like it was more that our window into that world ended at the end of the Wire rather than that there was some finality to the remaining character's story arcs.

It just seems really weird that with the M60 firing in a straight robotic horizontal line, only one shot would hit him at an angle far lower than any of the other shots (did it ricochet?) I can suspend disbelief in the fact that the dying cancer patient that can barely move can take an M60 bullet in the side and still manage to walk around, but the bullet that does hit him feels a little magical.

robochimp

2. Everybody being in the room
3. Jack believing Walt and not shooting him the moment he entered the club house/premises
4. Jack falling for Walt's gloating
5. No one checking the trunk of his car for bombs

By the way, how dumb was Walt by calling Lydia to tell her she was going to die in a few hours?

The Nazis weren't exactly smart guys, and they thought they were setting their own trap for Walt.

Walt and Jack shook on being square with each other.

Walt didn't call Lydia. Lydia called Todd to confirm that they had killed Walt. Walt took the phone from Todd's corpse after hearing Todd's Lydia ringtone and answered.

taylor910

Huh, was it the M60 that got him? How the hell did a stray round get him where it did when he was on the ground the whole time?

There was a short clip of him on top of Jesse where he flinches. When I first saw it I wasn't sure if it was a bullet that ricocheted and got him, or he just flinched because concrete was flying around.

Courage

It just seems really weird that with the M60 firing in a straight robotic horizontal line, only one would shot would hit him at an angle far lower than any of the other shots (did it ricochet)? I can suspend disbelief in the fact that the dying cancer patient that can barely move can take an M60 bullet in the side and still manage to walk around, but the bullet that does hit him feels a little magical.

Remember the M60 was shooting through a wall, so this probably distorted some of the bullets' trajectories.

Anyway, what we're discussing is irrelevant. As Stumpokapow said, if it wasn't the M60, it would have been the cancer, or anything else. At the moment, he did everything he set out to do, and he could die in peace.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yes it does. He's carressing the piece of lab equipment, and then falls over.

I don't think you understood my point. My point is that you use your common sense to extrapolate, rather than just relying on what you're explicitly shown and told. We know Walt dies because we see his hand and legs give out, because of the receding camera shot, because it's the last shot of the series, because the series couldn't have ended any other way, because of the audio cues. If we are excessively literal, all we have is that he is seriously injured and the show fades to black. Maybe the cops did CPR!!! Who knows!!! Of course they didn't, of course that's not what happened.

And any one of those would have been infinitely more satisfying than the entirely accidental way he actually does die.

You are at the "Yes, but does the top stop spinning at the end of Inception?" level of analysis. It is interfering with your ability to understand the significance of the last two episodes. It doesn't matter if it was the bullet, or what the source was, or if it was the cancer, or if he finally lost his will to live with his task done. All roads lead to death. There was no other outcome. It was fated. He returned to do something. It was done. He died.

taylor910

The Nazis weren't exactly smart guys, and they thought they were setting their own trap for Walt.

I agree, but I always think of how wrong Mike was when he said he wasn't worried about them from his intel.

How did he not know they were the most ruthless psychopaths in existence? Bothers me.

EliCash

And any one of those would have been infinitely more satisfying than the entirely accidental way he actually does die.

How's it accidental if he went there with the intention of dying? He went in there to his death, the way it eventually happened made for a way greater final shot than any of the alternatives.

Edit: maybe intention of dying is putting it the wrong way, knowing he was going to die is what I mean.

Top Bottom