• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Mononoke

Banned
Sorry to bring the thread down... But just read this article (see below). Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but to me, Mr Cumming from the Telegraph (UK paper for people who don't know) has a pretty bad one.

For those who want to view;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...rrated-over-here-and-thankfully-all-over.html

Breaking Bad has finally ended. Ed Cumming is glad to see the back of it, and its boring fans

Yes, this inspires me to take this seriously...

The more I think about it, the more I dislike Walt's final 'grand plan'. The use of the automated machine gun requires way too much 'lucky coincidences' to work. I mean, in order for his plan to work perfectly, which it did, Walt had to rely on:

1. The building and room being small enough for the gun to cover everything
2. Everybody being in the room
3. Jack believing Walt and not shooting him the moment he entered the club house/premises
4. Jack falling for Walt's gloating
5. No one checking the trunk of his car for bombs

I really believe the writers wrote themselves in a corner by including the flash forward where Walt gets the gun in the first episode of the fifth season, without having a clue what he was going to use it on. If they hadn't done that, I'm pretty sure Walt would've dealt with Jack and his gang in a different way.

By the way, how dumb was Walt by calling Lydia to tell her she was going to die in a few hours? We know from the beginning of the fifth season that Lydia has all kinds of contacts in the drug/gangster world. Who's to say she didn't call one of her hitmen or her 'friends' in Croatia the moment Walt put down the phone to call in a last minute hit on Skyler, Holly and Walt Jr.?

Not too far fetched, considering the fact that in the real finale two minor characters from the first season suddenly became two of the most important characters.

I completely disagree.

1 was a given, since Walt had seen the room before and thus knew exactly how to park the car.

2 was irrelevant, he wanted to get Jack, the rest were a bonus. He wasn't expecting to survive the attack. He only got down in order to protect Jesse, who wasn't supposed to be in the room.

3 Jack would never have had his goons shoot Walt on sight. That's just not how he operates. He didn't fear Walt at all, saw him as a dying old man.

4 The goading occurred, because they took his keys away. That clearly wasn't part of the plan, but it was easy enough to pull off. Pride is a dangerous thing.

5 No one had ever searched a car before throughout the show, I'm willing to bet no one in such a situation would. Even if it had a bomb, they were safe inside the house. The most critical part of the plan was getting the car parked correctly, but that's an easy enough con. Who's gonna argue with the old guy with cancer that you're gonna kill in a few minutes anyway? What would be the point?

I'd say in real life, against real life thugs the plan had a pretty good chance of working out IMO.

inm8num2

He's like MacGuyver

Reminds me of an oldie but a goodie.

enhanced-buzz-6236-1341505859-2.jpg

AlexSmash

So did you also think the magnet was goofy? And the mercury fulminate? And the red phosphorous? And the homemade battery? And the hydrofluoric acid?

Well... those were awesome and yeah, goofy- but in context more fitting. Jesse saying "magnets, bitch", or how he asked if Walt is gonna build a robot when he in fact builds a battery. Or his famous line "this isnt meth", made all those scene more fitting with their comicly/goofy character.

Mononoke

Banned
I completely disagree.

1 was a given, since Walt had seen the room before and thus knew exactly how to park the car.

2 was irrelevant, he wanted to get Jack, the rest were a bonus. He wasn't expecting to survive the attack. He only got down in order to protect Jesse, who wasn't supposed to be in the room.

3 Jack would never have had his goons shoot Walt on sight. That's just not how he operates. He didn't fear Walt at all, saw him as a dying old man.

4 The goading occurred, because they took his keys away. That clearly wasn't part of the plan, but it was easy enough to pull off. Pride is a dangerous thing.

5 No one had ever searched a car before throughout the show, I'm willing to bet no one in such a situation would. Even if it had a bomb, they were safe inside the house. The most critical part of the plan was getting the car parked correctly, but that's an easy enough con. Who's gonna argue with the old guy with cancer that you're gonna kill in a few minutes anyway? What would be the point?

I'd say in real life, against real life thugs the plan had a pretty good chance of working out IMO.

Yep. It feels like people are really grasping at air to explain why they hated how the finale played out.

mooooose

Well... those were awesome and yeah, goofy- but in context more fitting. Jesse saying "magnets, bitch", or how he asked if Walt is gonna build a robot when he in fact builds a battery. Or his famous line "this isnt meth", made all those scene more fitting with their comicly/goofy character.

Now take a look at how walt killed of gus. This is how you kill of the final enemy. And there is zero goofyness involved, because it has no place there.

LMFAO no goofyness? DING DING DING DING DING DING DING "NOOOOOOOOOO!" *explosion* .... *gets up and adjusts tie, camera pans to reveal two face, falls forward*

are you SHITTING ME?

It just seems really weird that with the M60 firing in a straight robotic horizontal line, only one shot would hit him at an angle far lower than any of the other shots (did it ricochet?) I can suspend disbelief in the fact that the dying cancer patient that can barely move can take an M60 bullet in the side and still manage to walk around, but the bullet that does hit him feels a little magical.

Stump has already went over most (and crazygambit some of the specifics) but the bolded is incorrect. For the most part, the bullets are fired along a horizontal line, and the entry holes in the wall also suggest this, yet the variety of camera angles within the slaughterhouse reveal that there were bullets going all over the place:

slaughternazis3psp0.gif

(sorry for the large .gif)

This is not the entire slaughter, and merely a small segment, but even in this we can see the bullets being launched at a variety of angles after they exit the wall (see the Walter and Jesse scene when a bullet comes towards the cameras) and are being ricocheted (see it hitting the fridge). The other perspectives paint a similarly chaotic nature. The majority certainly go in a horizontal plane, sure, but we are explicitly shown, prior to Walter being shot (and indeed, afterwards too) that there are bullets flying everywhere, causing a huge amount of destruction within that room; it wasn't a solitary bullet (in that, it wasn't the only bullet that strayed from the horizontal plane through the M60 and the clubhouse) that just so happened to deviate from its course and hit him as you seem to be suggesting.

inm8num2

Yeah, I love how out of ALL the things they have done on this show, that is the thing people are finding the most unrealistic. When in reality, the stuff he did in the finale was probably the tamest things he's done in the entire show. They were all pretty straight forward things that were believable (the M60 mechanism could easily be made, and the size and number of the bullets shooting at that level would have wiped out anyone in the room, unless they got to the floor.) The only issue I think people could have, is the fact that Walt was able to perfectly execute his plan, and get everything done so right.

And that's fine. I understand why some have reservations about the fact that Walt set out to do his final bidding in the end, and got everything he wanted. But I feel like those trying to argue the believability of the scenes, really must not have gotten the memo about this being a pulpy show.

Well said. The M60 is one of the more straightforward things Walt has done. 3-bar linkage, motor, battery, wireless switch.

Anyone with a science or engineering background at the graduate level has had to create various lab/testing apparatuses multiple times to carry out their experiments.

On an unrelated note:

arL1aTI.gif

Stoze

Now take a look at how walt killed of gus. This is how you kill of the final enemy. And there is zero goofyness involved, because it has no place there.

Gus's death was the definition of goofy. A lot of people hated that episode just because of how goofy that scene is, and I'm sure they still do.

Personally I just find it all the more entertaining. And yeah, I think this episode was fairly grounded compared to some of the crazy shit this show has pulled off in the past.

IronRinn

Silly observation: The crowd's cheer for Vince Gilligan on The Colbert Report{/i} was insane. I don't think I've ever heard his audience be that loud.

My favorite thing about people hating on the finale is that their "improved version" usually sounds like something the Dexter writers would've come up with.

Also, while I think Felina was amazing the first time through, I think it gets better after every rewatch. Just the amount of little details, call backs, symbolism, etc. is unreal.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Loved the shot at the very end with the 'X' over Walt, aside from the obvious Crawl Space link.

I don't think I'll ever witness something like this again. A show with such a meteoric rise to prominence, while I'm there experiencing it at the same time.

Also, Felina is now in the running for daughter names.

mooooose

The only goofy things in this ep were the car keys being in the car and Walt being able to track down Badger and Pete. And Walt being able to evade the DEA outside Skylar's apartment. Nothing else was any more ridiculous than anything else that happens in Breaking Bad.

I think if Walt had failed at something by an external force outside his planning, people wouldn't be shitting on this so hard.

And yet too many people complained at how "unrealistic" and corny and silly it was that Gus was able to fix his tie after that thing happened.

The M60 contraption was the most "realistic" contraption Walt ever came up with to solve a problem.

People who can't believe that Walt manged to get shot because of angles need to watch it again. They clearly show the bullets ricocheting before he grimaces in pain. It didn't need to be a bullet, but fragments would be enough to kill him.

And that music at the end.... glorious way to end it.

Stump has already went over most (and crazygambit some of the specifics) but the bolded is incorrect. For the most part, the bullets are fired along a horizontal line, and the entry holes in the wall also suggest this, yet the variety of camera angles within the slaughterhouse reveal that there were bullets going all over the place:
Ricochets can happen too along with recoil bouncing the gun up and down. There's enough there to reasonably allow for at least a couple bullets straying off the path.

I liked most of the ending, but put me in the camp that thinks it was all a little too clean. Would've liked to see more callbacks to the early going (besides the two quick flashbacks). Walt's transformation seen from a great height - that sort of thing.

zma1013

The only goofy things in this ep were the car keys being in the car and Walt being able to track down Badger and Pete. And Walt being able to evade the DEA outside Skylar's apartment. Nothing else was any more ridiculous than anything else that happens in Breaking Bad.

I think if Walt had failed at something by an external force outside his planning, people wouldn't be shitting on this so hard.

Keys being left in cars isn't rare though. In my neighborhood, just about everyone leaves their keys, often in the ignition itself. As for Badger and Pete, Walt would have had their contact info at some point throughout all the meth dealings going on. The DEA thing is the only one I'd say might be a little ridiculous, but it's not as if 2 guys sitting on the street in a car have a 100% view of any house or structure. Sneaking through the back door or windows or anywhere that isn't the street where the lookouts are isn't that far fetched.

mooooose

Keys being left in cars isn't rare though. In my neighborhood, just about everyone leaves their keys, often in the ignition itself. As for Badger and Pete, Walt would have had their contact info at some point throughout all the meth dealings going on. The DEA thing is the only one I'd say might be a little ridiculous, but it's not as if 2 guys sitting on the street in a car have a 100% view of any house or structure. Sneaking through the back door or windows or anywhere that isn't the street where the lookouts are isn't that far fetched.
I've never heard of that. That's a stupid thing to do.

Walt has no belongings, it's been at least months since he's last seen them, and I doubt he has their numbers memorized.

Permanently A

I just finished the Shield.

I actually think the Shield's finale was slightly better because it was unpredictable. Breaking Bad's finale was great, but totally predictable.

All in all, TV is so fucking great. Now to start the Wire!

Wilbur

Banned
Don't need to debate whether leaving keys in the car is believable or not. It sets up the fact that everything is coming up Walter.

Think that Ryan review makes some good points, but it comes very close to arguing sometimes - and even explicitly says i think - that Walt won with very little consequences. There's only been one or two analyses/reviews that mention that this is only a win in Walt's eyes, in his egotistical self centred view. He 'won', because everything went his way. But of course Walt would just think his kids have money now, and not think that it never had to end up this way. Of course Walt would think giving the locations of the bodies is a good thing to do, even though he's the ones who put them there. He took out Lydia justifiably, but she has a child. He saved Jesse, but he would have been happy with Jesse killing him and of course after everything that he's done to him.

It was a win for Walt, but no one can really classify it as a win. Can't remember the name of that review earlier, but it was the one I quoted who posted it and said it was great. But it was bang on; this sad, pathetic man dying as a rock song blares out about his crystal meth. A man so pathetic he died with a smile on his face in a drug lab and not with his family.

Plasmid

I just finished the Shield.

I actually think the Shield's finale was slightly better because it was unpredictable. Breaking Bad's finale was great, but totally predictable.

All in all, TV is so fucking great. Now to start the Wire!

So jealous, i wish i could rewatch the wire the first time, it's so good.

Rewatched the finale last night and i loved it even more.

AlexSmash

yeah but the plan itself, on how to kill gus wasnt goofy. in fact the plan just needed just one thing: gus in hectors room.

the robot gun vs nazis had like 1000 variables that this stuff can work.

let me just say that i enjoyed goofy elements in the show. but i just didnt like how they handled the m60 element.
its just boring and uncreative.

Anyone complaining about "believability" and 'realism" on this show, especially in the finale, were not paying attention to the intent of the show since the first season, from the very beginning.
My guess is that it comes mostly from those that binge-watched the show prior to the end.

This show is the self fulfillment of a power fantasy that spins out of control.
Its very essence is to subvert reality, the reality of Walt.
It goes out of its way to tell you that the Universe is watching and will make you pay.
There are crazy coincidences and even Walt himself says that it can't be all random, that there has to be a meaning. Look it up.
Walt prays in the end as the cops patrol, and they go away and the keys are there.
It's not a weakness of the writing nor a plothole, it's very much intentional.
If you you can't buy that or accept it or like it, it just means it isn't for you.

I think it was blamespace who said it best- this show is like a comic book brought to life.
And there is nothing wrong with it. The execution is nearly flawless.

inm8num2

The tides keep on turning. In the coming weeks, it will be universally accepted that Breaking Bad's finale was a failure to the series on the whole. Gilligan was so close.

The amount of "BB's ending sucked" threads will soon rival that of "TDKR sucked" threads.

y2dvd

There was no ending that was going to please everyone. If Walt dies a more horrific death, it may have been too dark (even for BB standards) and TeamWalt would cry afoul. If you don't see him die, people will cry there was no closure. If something out of the ordinary happens like Flynn or Marie was to one to kill Walt or something, people would've said they were writing a twist for the sake of writing a twist. If Jesse died, blah blah blah. It goes on and on. I personally would've liked some ambiguity but understand why they wanted closure to this tale.

Walt may have come to terms with himself, but it was still a tragic ending. Hank died, Skyler is a single mother of two, Marie is a widow, Andrea is dead, Brock is a bastard child, Walt's life ended knowing his son hates him...for a "clean" ending, there was still a lot of dirt people seem to be forgetting.

Those concerned about the bullet trajectory have never had the pleasure of shooting tracers at night. I was absolutely shocked at the ricochet and deflection trajectories the first time I did, especially the bullets that came back in an acute angle. The bullets had to go through the trunk and the wall which is more than enough to significantly alter the trajectory not to mention the recoil and the fact it could have just been shrapnel that hit Walt. At the right angle, a piece of thick cardboard can change the path of a bullet.

.GqueB.

Banned
Yep. It feels like people are really grasping at air to explain why they hated how the finale played out.

The person he was responding you is the same as me. We never said we didn't like the finale, just how that grand plan played out. It all felt very convenient and forced because of the very reasons laid out. That was the only part that really stood out to me as "off".

Anyone complaining about "believability" and 'realism" on this show, especially in the finale, were not paying attention to the intent of the show since the first season, from the very beginning.
My guess is that it comes mostly from those that binge-watched the show prior to the end.

This show is the self fulfillment of a power fantasy that spins out of control.
Its very essence is to subvert reality, the reality of Walt.
It goes out of its way to tell you that the Universe is watching and will make you pay.
There are crazy coincidences and even Walt himself says that it can't be all random, that there has to be a meaning. Look it up.
Walt prays in the end as the cops patrol, and they go away and the keys are there.
It's not a weakness of the writing nor a plothole, it's very much intentional.
If you you can't buy that or accept it or like it, it just means it isn't for you.

I think it was blamespace who said it best- this show is like a comic book brought to life.
And there is nothing wrong with it. The execution is nearly flawless.

This is a good post

Reminds me of an oldie but a goodie.

enhanced-buzz-6236-1341505859-2.jpg

That one was funny.

But I think the truck popper on the key probably had a delay built in.

What would happen if one of the Nazi's decided to just press it right then? It would have went off and Walt would have been screwed. He probably upped the number of times it had to be pressed before it went off.

maharg

idspispopd
Not sure if serious

I was randomly making fun of all the people who pick one random thing (the airplane crash, gus' death, various things involving the twins, the fulminated mercury, the magnet heist, walt spilling the beans to jesse on the phone, etc, etc, etc) and say that it was the only time Breaking Bad has defied reality and taken being stylish too far.

KugelBlitz

Neo Member

No, Anna, I don't like feeling as if I've been sedated every time the ghastly Skyler lumbers into view.

The Breaking Bores, media's most loathsome demographic, who whine on and on and on, like Jehovah's Witnesses without the manners. Actually, they're worse than that.

Breaking Bores are more like radical atheists, convinced that their position is objective fact,

d5c.jpg

zma1013

I was hoping for a more negative finale though. The finale oddly felt like the most un-Breaking Bad-like episode the show's ever had. I mean to say, I still liked it and think it's good, just not up to Breaking Bad's impossibly high standards.

I'm not sure if expectations were too high or something but I wouldn't see it ending any other way. Did people not want them to tie up everything and just have a shocking ending?

It was Walts final tragic magnum opus. He was down, at his lowest, and actually already gave himself up...until he heard and saw Gretchen and Elliot. Call it that Heisenberg luck at the right time or call it Breaking Bad, It was then and there he managed to figure out how to provide for his family even if they neglected everything about him in his Yeah Mr. White, Science sort of way.

Top Bottom