• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

mooooose

The saddest part of the show is seeing Walt and Jesse so separated by the end. I wish we could say for certain how Walt felt/feels about Jesse.

I was randomly making fun of all the people who pick one random thing (the airplane crash, gus' death, various things involving the twins, the fulminated mercury, the magnet heist, walt spilling the beans to jesse on the phone, etc, etc, etc) and say that it was the only time Breaking Bad has defied reality and taken being stylish too far.

You know, I loved all those things.

I must have watched too many of those real cartel videos 'cause I just don't get what the problem is supposed to be with the twins??? They would fit right in with those assholes down in Mexico filming executions.

The one that gets me is when they say the airplane crash was a low point. It's too out there for its believability to be called seriously into question as a weakness of the show.

The one they should all be complaining about is the train heist and the fulminated mercury but they rarely do.

Number45

Did the crash serve any other purpose than to keep you guessing about what was going to happen throughout the course of that season? My memory is a little hazy on the details.

rekameohs

Banned
- The Breaking Bad Finale’s Best Memes, Tributes, and Callbacks

Most of these have already been posted in the thread.

lol

4xfUlbaz.gif

Mogwai

The saddest part of the show is seeing Walt and Jesse so separated by the end. I wish we could say for certain how Walt felt/feels about Jesse.
I agree. But considering all that has happened, I don't think there's much say. I think that ending scene was a bit too hollow, though.

Brera

Banned
It will be known as the Netflix Effect.

This is 100% what happened.

My best friend doesnt watch decent TV. Never seen the wire etc.

He watched Breaking Bad a few months ago after being constantly told about it by me and another friend and he was hooked!

Dyno

I was very satisfied. Heisenburg went out pure Heisenburg!

The money laundering scam was brilliant and amazing. His talk with Skylar was great for closure. The Neo-Nazi takedown was predictable but I loved the execution: the device was great and seeing an M60 empty out was worth the price of admission. Uncle's death was brutal and powerful. Walt also got to save Jesse again, to literally take a bullet for him, plus he covers for Jesse by dying in the meth lab where the blue was coming out of. Jesse finally got control over his life. He could chose who to kill (Troy) or not to kill (Walt) and he put himself into the drivers' seat at last.

Tied up a bit to neatly? You're goddamned right! This is Heisenburg we're talking about. This was the story of a criminal mastermind going out on his terms. I loved it!

Blader

I was hoping for a more negative finale though. The finale oddly felt like the most un-Breaking Bad-like episode the show's ever had. I mean to say, I still liked it and think it's good, just not up to Breaking Bad's impossibly high standards.

But again, dark =/= good

Just because the episode didn't end with everyone dead (just a lot of dead), or Walt alone and miserable, doesn't mean the show isn't hitting its own standards.

While thinking about it some more it was funny how much this Walt was channeling Mike imho

• that weariness (Skyler: You look like shit Walt: Yeah but I feel great)
  • he knows he's a bad man but that doesn't stop him from trying to provide for his family
  • how he handles/dishes out threats with that mixture of nonchalance plus seriousness
  • how he appears in a scene and the viewer might not have realized he was there the whole time until the camera explicitly showed it
  • how he slips out without anyone in the show realizing
  • his brutal honesty
  • full measures most of the time
  • did a half measure eventually but it was for a kid that Mike also liked, groomed and protected.

Blader

He did? That scene and Jesse's whole character arc apparently flew right over her head.

ha, tell me about it.

Jesse and Walt's final meeting isn't absolving him of his sins at all. If anything, it's the first and only time that Walt has even realized what he's actually done to Jesse.

mooooose

While thinking about it some more it was funny how much this Walt was channeling Mike imho

• that wariness (Skyler: You look like shit Walt: Yeah but I feel great)
  • he knows he's a bad man but that doesn't stop him from trying to provide for his family
  • how he handles/dishes out threats with that mixture of nonchalance plus seriousness
  • how he appears in a scene and the viewer might not have realized he was there the whole time until the camera explicitly showed it
  • his brutal honesty
  • did a half measure eventually but it was for a kid that Mike also liked, groomed and protected.
"If we're going to go that route, you're going to need a bigger knife"

That was when I realized this episode was going to be Walt impersonating Mike.

Chipotle

I liked it. Never properly satisfied with the end of a TV show but this was good and I didn't feel cheated like with some other finales (BSG ugh). The high point was a couple of weeks ago and they weren't really going to be able to top it. I'm fine with that though.

Also, lol at that Telegraph article. Ridiculous.

So anybody saying that the ending was so bad that it retroactively ruined the series for them? Those are my favorite responses. I've seen some reviews trying to get there, but nobody's had a full-on meltdown yet.

20cent

Banned
random summarised discussion from internet (and here):

OMG!!!!! Walt did so many bad things, no way he can get away with it...
-well, he died...alone and hated by his family
-right, but it felt like he won. Plus his family will get the money eventually!!!! The morality is very questionable in this show!!! OMG I'm so shocked!!!!!
-would have you preferred to see him go to jail instead then?
-no way!!!!! all the things he did! he deserved to die!!!!! by Jesse's hand!!!!

lol at the morality

zma1013

But again, dark =/= good

Just because the episode didn't end with everyone dead (just a lot of dead), or Walt alone and miserable, doesn't mean the show isn't hitting its own standards.

Dark also =/= bad either. I do feel the show had been steering that way since it's beginning and it would just seem to me that a darker outcome would be more true to it's roots and what it had been foreshadowing all along. As for it not hitting it's standards, I think it's more about how the finale just didn't seem as cleverly written as other episodes. It wasn't the end results that made it feel like standard fare, it was how they got to those results. I suppose it's hard to capture lighting in a bottle for the umpteenth time.

Omg at the gif, wtf it's hilarious for some reason.

HYeOVxj.jpg

that line was great along with the stuff he was doing before that (casually just checking out shit in someone's house with no fucks given)

Bigfoot

Wow! Just watched... amazing! Walt wins! Mr. White redeemed! Went out like a champ! #TeamWalt is best #Team!

I know I'm LTTP but I had to use "other" means to watch as I'm travelling in the UK for work right now.

Edit: Now it's time to read tthis thread but not sure if I can read all 74 pages, although I will try even if it takes days ;)

Ithil

Well said. The M60 is one of the more straightforward things Walt has done. 3-bar linkage, motor, battery, wireless switch.

Anyone with a science or engineering background at the graduate level has had to create various lab/testing apparatuses multiple times to carry out their experiments.

On an unrelated note:

arL1aTI.gif

Ask and ye shall receive I guess.

• that weariness (Skyler: You look like shit Walt: Yeah but I feel great)
  • his brutal honesty

Definitely channeling Mike, and it was pretty glorious.

ha, tell me about it.

Jesse and Walt's final meeting isn't absolving him of his sins at all. If anything, it's the first and only time that Walt has even realized what he's actually done to Jesse.

Yep, and Jesse not shooting him is pretty much his way of throwing him the finger.

inm8num2

That scene with Skylar and Walt made me so sad. The both looked so worn out.

The way Skyler broke down when Walt told her the coordinates would give the DEA the location of Hank and Steve's bodies really affected me.

You could see how the months and months of lack of closure with Hank's disappearance had really weighed on her.

:(

Ithil

ha, tell me about it.

I'm not sure how it was hard to realise that was the entire reason Walt changed his mind and saved Jesse instead, he finally realised how much he'd ruined Jesse's life (given he was in an "owning up" mood throughout the episode, this is the last thing he needed to realise) and that Jesse deserved to be free of him.

Like, that was the entire point of it. How does someone think that was about Jesse forgiving Walt?

oktarb

I guess I sum it up like this: For a show that spent entire seasons of establishing a path of reality, shit that just felt right and possible, to end it with a M60 stunt that just felt a tad unbelievable was a mistake.

inm8num2

I guess I sum it up like this: For a show that spent entire seasons of establishing a path of reality, shit that just felt right and possible, to end it with a M60 stunt that just felt a tad unbelievable was a mistake.

On the spectrum of all the things on this show that Walt did, or even that happened whether by his skill or by sheer luck, rigging up a 3-bar linkage driven by a motor is one of the most realistic and practical things he did. It was literally this:

Steam_Gears_by_crazychrislau93.gif

And from what I could tell he used socket wrenches as the links, which is even cooler. It's not like he stopped at a machine shop. Quick trip to Home Depot and an hour or two putting everything together.

Frost_Ace

The problem is that there were far too many things in the episode that felt convinient that happened one after the other, it's not the usual stroke of luck Walt sometimes had (and the episode was emotionally unfullfilling to boot).

Top Bottom