• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Speevy

Banned
The most unrealistic thing about that scene was not that he found the keys, but that all those police officers let him drive away.

Mononoke

Banned
The most unrealistic thing about that scene was not that he found the keys, but that all those police officers let him drive away.

Why is that? Walt was in a parked car on the side of the road. There was no lights on, and windows were completely frosted over. In that small down, plenty of people leave their cars on the side of the road, or in front of their house. They didn't even know a person was in the car, and just drove by it.

You could argue that it was unlikely the state police didn't close off all borders with check points. Sure.

Stet

Banned
Can we stop with this "Heisenberg killed Walt" crap? Why absolve Walt of his choices? He wanted this, he did this, and it was Walt that died. Yeah, Heisenberg is a fun little comic-book alter-ego way of denoting his power hungry ego, but Walt's not bipolar. He doesn't have a split personality.

I don't think it absolves him of anything to make the metaphor. The only part of him that wanted to die the way he did was the part of him he became when he cooked, and even then he would have preferred Jesse to kill him like he asked. It's all part of the same person, it's just easier than talking in terms of subconscious and conscious.

Mononoke

Banned
I don't think it absolves him of anything to make the metaphor. The only part of him that wanted to die the way he did was the part of him he became when he cooked, and even then he would have preferred Jesse to kill him like he asked. It's all part of the same person, it's just easier than talking in terms of subconscious and conscious.

So you don't believe Walt in the end, that he accepted he was bad, that he did it for himself, and that he felt good and alive? You don't believe that Walt died being happy, because he went out doing the thing he loved?

I don't understand your point of view. Are you really saying that Walt is a liar, when he tells Skyler why he did what he did? I just can't wrap my head around how you view the ending. It would negate all the pivotal scenes in my mind, especially the final shot.

jtb

Banned

I don't think there's anything subconscious about it. He plainly wanted agency, power, etc.

Again, there's no split personality going on here. Walt is Walt.

Speevy

Banned
Why is that? Walt was in a parked car on the side of the road. There was no lights on, and windows were completely frosted over. In that small down, plenty of people leave their cars on the side of the road, or in front of their house. They didn't even know a person was in the car, and just drove by it.

You could argue that it was unlikely the state police didn't close off all borders with check points. Sure.

I thought he was still at the bar. My bad, only saw the episode once.

Stet

Banned
So you don't believe Walt in the end, that he accepted he was bad, that he did it for himself, and that he felt good and alive? You don't believe that Walt died being happy, because he went out doing the thing he loved?

I don't understand your point of view. Are you really saying that Walt is a liar, when he tells Skyler why he did what he did?

I don't see how any of what you believe contradicts the way I've described Walt. The Walt at the beginning of the show is vastly different from the Walt at the end of the show. "Heisenberg" is an easy way to refer to how Walt acts at the end and "Walt" is an easy way to refer to how he acts at the beginning. Neither of them are different people. They're different parts of the same whole. When you say that "Heisenberg killed Walt" what you're really talking about is the shift in his personality was basically complete, and there was very little in the way of humanity left in him. If you had asked "Walt" at the beginning of the show how he wanted to die, he would've said on his own terms, surrounded by his family. If you had asked "Walt" at the end of the show how he wanted to die, he would've said surrounded by his equipment after a particularly successful plan.

jtb

Banned
so why not just say... Walt changed over the course of the series?

Since he clearly did? And that's the premise of the show? That seems a pretty simple concept to me, one much more simple than having to explain what "Heisenberg killing Walt" does and doesn't entail in one specific context. Walt died in the finale. Maybe you could argue he was a morally compromised man ever since any number of points (most would probably point to Half Measures or the ep right before ABQ) but beyond that.... eh.

Dunk#7

What I found odd about Walt's escape from winter wonderland was that the police didn't search very hard.

It was a small town where most everybody knew each other. Wouldn't the bartender have told the police there was a strange man in here a few minutes ago? Did they assume the phone call was a drunk prank?

Wouldn't Walt getting in the car have knocked a good portion of the snow off?

Also, I wonder how long it took him to get back in town?

Stet

Banned
so why not just say... Walt changed over the course of the series?

Since he clearly did? And that's the premise of the show? That seems a pretty simple concept to me, one much more simple than having to explain what "Heisenberg killing Walt" does and doesn't entail in one specific context. Walt died in the finale. Maybe you could argue he was a morally compromised man ever since any number of points (most would probably point to Half Measures or the ep right before ABQ) but beyond that.... eh.

I'm quoting the show, dingus. That's exactly what Gretchen said while Walt watched her on TV in the bar. It's a metaphor the show used itself. I didn't make it up.

jtb

Banned
I'm quoting the show, dingus. That's exactly what Gretchen said while Walt watched her on TV in the bar. It's a metaphor the show used itself. I didn't make it up.

She never said Heisenberg killed Walt, just that Walt is dead. and she's clearly absolving Walt of blame because she can't reconcile who he was with who he's become. That says more about her character than it does about Walt's.

You're the one saying "Gretchen was right." [dingus] So... I'm showing you that... well... no she's not.

Stet

Banned
She never said Heisenberg killed Walt, just that Walt is dead. and she's clearly absolving Walt of blame because she can't reconcile who he was with who he's become. That says more about her character than it does about Walt's.

You're the one saying "Gretchen was right." [dingus] So... I'm showing you that... well... no she's not.

That single line is what sends Walt off at the end of that scene. Just remember that as you say that it says little about his character.

kehs

Banned
We had a scene that we never got to ... where he made peanut brittle. And somehow, you can tell by the exactness with which he goes about cooking that he misses the cooking of the meth."

That's would have been a great scene.

I think Walt's nod meant, "You look really cute with longer hair."

And Jesse's nod meant, "Thanks. Your beard is really manly."

It bugged me how Hollywood Jesse looked for being a prisoner for six months. Bleech white teeth, long dreamy hair. He looked like Homeless Dad from Arrested Development.

Redd

I'm sure Jesse still hated Walt. Didn't want to give him what he wanted when Walt said kill me Jesse. Still I believe even through all the stuff Walt put him through, Jesse was grateful Walt saved him.

Also think Walt planned on killing Jesse too until he saw what the Nazis did to him.

JustinBB7

lol

4xfUlbaz.gif

Anyway to make this gif slightly smaller? Sub 5mb so I can upload it on imgur for my own keeping, it's so good.

Fuck the Granite State ending. They should have ended at Ozy. Would have been perfect. I like the episodes after it but him losing everything and running away would have been perfect.

I like that idea that the show should have compared Hank and Walt's funerals because I'm pretty sure that the only people who would even want to go to Walt's funeral would be Badger and Skinny P and imaging Walt's reaction to those two being the only people to attend his funeral is great.

Top Bottom