• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
94c89525-7075-4445-aee4-8bc577fd3eab.jpg

http://www.mixcloud.com/bobafatt/bad-breaks/

Consisting of 96% pure BReaking BAd music.

*DO NOT listen to this mix until you've watched the whole thing. SPOILERS, bitch!*

2.5 hrs | 110 tracks

At least 96% of these tracks are taken from the soundtrack across the 5 seasons.
The music & samples are not chronological, but I tried to keep the story straight, and split into seasons (half hour each).
So it's roughly 74% correct overall.

Credit due to Thomas Golubic & team for sourcing/syncing the music throughout the show & Dave Porter for his score.
Thanks to Vince, Bryan, Aaron & all for cooking up pure magic.

So I just watched the last 4 episodes of Season 5.1 with my roomate, and I don't get why it's rated so lowly around here. From the train heist episode forward it ascends into "end of Season 4" tier, it's incredible on so many levels. Were the first 4 episodes that bad?

zma1013

So I just watched the last 4 episodes of Season 5.1 with my roomate, and I don't get why it's rated so lowly around here. From the train heist episode forward it ascends into "end of Season 4" tier, it's incredible on so many levels. Were the first 4 episodes that bad?

There is no bad BB episode.

Vashetti

Banned
Why does Walt even take his pills when he knows he's going to his death?

Or did he have other plans after taking care of Elliot/Gretchen, Lydia, Skyler and then the Nazis?

Wilbur

Banned
"How fitting, then, that the penultimate shot of “Felina” is a hilariously, wonderfully sick version of a lover’s embrace. Walt touches his true love for the last time, but rather than gaze into a pair of beautiful eyes, he stares into a cold metal surface, into his own reflection — a reflection that’s monstrously distorted — and then falls out of frame, dead."

based Zoller

zma1013

Why does Walt even take his pills when he knows he's going to his death?

Or did he have other plans after taking care of Elliot/Gretchen, Lydia, Skyler and then the Nazis?

I don't necessarily think he planned to die. Perhaps he was just trying to keep his strength up.

AVclub

"How fitting, then, that the penultimate shot of “Felina” is a hilariously, wonderfully sick version of a lover’s embrace. Walt touches his true love for the last time, but rather than gaze into a pair of beautiful eyes, he stares into a cold metal surface, into his own reflection — a reflection that’s monstrously distorted — and then falls out of frame, dead."

based Zoller

That's a beautiful way to put it!

The [terrible] dream theory was created by Emily Nussbaum as a last ditch effort to skew Breaking Bad toward her constant misreading of the show.

Oh dear, just read her thoughts on the finale. It's interesting because she's clearly very, very annoyed that Walt succeeded, to the point where she berates Uncle Jack for not just killing him there and then. What kind of Nazi loving, white power piece of trash would rub an insult in his victim's face before killing them? Certainly not Uncle Jack. Certainly not the guy who taunts his victims in such a gleeful and pernicious way. And why didn't those useless DEA agents not see Walt ghost in and out of Skyler's wonderful new home? Oh, why, oh why, can't someone kill this man before he gets to die on his own terms? Vince, Vince, why did you help him get what he wanted? What exactly do you mean that I missed the point?

You know, Walter White had a really lovely 52nd birthday, gave a nice lady a generous tip, visited old friends to ask them one last favour, said goodbye to his loving wife and infant daughter, watched his son but selflessly spared him from the heartache of one last goodbye, settled an argument with some old work colleagues using an elaborate magical trick, set free his one time partner and did the required safety check, as mandated by the state, on the lab equipment before having a wonderful nap.

based Zoller
Yup, it's pretty amazing. The whole episode is just full of these little things. Symbolism, metaphors, callbacks, etc. One of the best finales ever.

Yup, it's pretty amazing. The whole episode is just full of these little things. Symbolism, metaphors, callbacks, etc. One of the best finales ever.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts on the finale. The finale, for me, wasn't about Walt succeeding or failing; it was more about bearing witness to this person he had become, giving into his true nature, after endlessly searching for the right combination of words to justify all of his unjustifiable actions. Once Walt was freed from that burden, it was scary just how comfortable he felt torturing poor Elliot & Gretchen. The grand manner in which he closed those doors, the way he just waited for Gretchen to finally notice him; contrast that with how uncomfortable and ill at ease he felt the last time they were all together in that defining first season episode. He had, at last, found a way to parse that anger and regret at giving up his stake in Gray Matter into something quite macabre and terrifying. That's what made the finale so compelling, his final transformation.

- Salon: Bob Odenkirk: “Better Call Saul” will be dark

Mostly Cross and Odenkirk discussing Mr Show and other projects, but Odenkirk does offer up this tidbit:
Will there be a sort of “Mr. Show” influence, or any levity or humor at all, in “Better Call Saul,” or will it be as pitch dark as the final seasons of “Breaking Bad”?

Odenkirk: Vince Gilligan and the writers will make the ultimate decision, but Vince has told me, the last time he talked to me, he said that it will be slightly more dark than it is funny. That’s an interesting balance to strike. And I’m excited.

y2dvd

I can see it now, the series finale of Better Call Saul will be when he first meets Walt. Cue black screen, Vince Gilligan's name, and the BB theme song.

Mature

I had an idea of the size of the barrel in my head, but looking at how big a CD is I think I might be low-balling it. I'm excited to get it...

Ah ok, so they're kind of cryptic or obscure references... I thought that maybe it was something more obvious or referenced in the episode itself but that somehow escaped me.

Mature

Ah ok, so they're kind of cryptic or obscure references... I thought that maybe it was something more obvious or referenced in the episode itself but that somehow escaped me.
Not always the case, though. Granite State, for instance, simply refers to New Hampshire. Though like a lot of episodes, it sort of has a double meaning. It could also refer to Walter's state of being.

iirc, Vince Gilligan said something along those lines in the Talking Bad after the finale (about wanting him dead, I mean).

Walt was pretty angry when he put the pieces together in the car, and he had no reason to lead Badger or Skinny Pete on about that. It looked like he genuinely believed that Jesse was a partner, even putting aside what he said to Jack. He even waited for Jesse to be brought in before setting off the gun.

VG said walt wanted jesse dead. he said nothing about if walt was telling the truth or lying to get a reaction out of jack when he said jesse was their partner.

walts smart enough to know the nazis take what they want and dont partner. he experienced that himself in oxymandias

VG said walt wanted jesse dead. he said nothing about if walt was telling the truth or lying to get a reaction out of jack when he said jesse was their partner.

walts smart enough to know the nazis take what they want and dont partner. he experienced that himself in oxymandias

He didn't have the keys when he came in, as he had expected to, so we can't see he originally wanted to wait for Jesse with any certainty.

rekameohs

Banned
Not always the case, though. Granite State, for instance, simply refers to New Hampshire. Though like a lot of episodes, it sort of has a double meaning. It could also refer to Walter's state of being.
"I See You" (ICU) is my favorite title pun in the series.

Top Bottom