• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

I'm sure this has been posted already, but it's my first time seeing it and I can't stop watching.

tumblr_mtu012FLSB1qdm5ngo1_400.gif

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Probably been posted already, but the breaking bad store is showing a release date of the box set on the 7th of october, when all other sites show a release date of november. Is the store really getting it earlier? totally going to order soon if that's the case.

That "obituary" is pretty cool. Breaking Bad has had a pretty big impact on ABQ. Good for them!It's hopefully no longer just a place where you forget to take lefts.

Stet

Banned
New theory - Walt doesn't actually die at the end, and those aren't cops, they're hired goons he sent beforehand just in case his plan didn't work. He's passing out because of how happy he is. The lotto ticket he gave Skyler isn't the real one, it points to a new location for them all to meet up. Junior just screamed at him on the phone to fool the people in the school into thinking he would never trust his dad. Next stop: Belize.

Finished watching it yesterday. Wow, what a show. The entire scene where Walt breaks into his former colleagues' house is my favorite. Just total boss there. Loved the ending.

Skyler needs to rot for the rest of her life, she's the one that should have died. Walt's family betrayed him first imo. Skylar smoked while she was pregnant and now she's still smoking with the baby in the house, that just pisses me off to no end. She's the cancer! >_>

also, Flynn flipping so quickly on his dad was just odd, that transition was way too fast. Walt should have left the money to Holly not Flynn.

LOL

waypoetic

Banned
I finally watched the two last episodes. I went long enough avoding 'em...

I raised my wine glass, saluting Walter and Heisenberg and the greatest tv-show i've ever watched.

Goodbye Walter.

Very much late to this, but the Bad Breaks mixtape is not only great listening, but it shocked a legitimate lol out of me when BobaFatt dropped "Jane" by EPMD into the mix.

So good.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I like this theory. The ending, while not exactly described as a "happy" one, was just... to perfect? In how it flowed. Everything essentially went the way as Walter White had planned it. I guess the real problem here was the foreshadowing of the M60 machine gun, the ricin, all the way down to the little mechanism walter white had manufactured. There were no surprises.

This is why Face Off is still essentially my favorite episode of the series, It just keeps on throwing curve balls at you until the very end, and the pay off was so good.

Courage

I like this theory. The ending, while not exactly described as a "happy" one, was just... to perfect? In how it flowed. Everything essentially went the way as Walter White had planned it. I guess the real problem here was the foreshadowing of the M60 machine gun, the ricin, all the way down to the little mechanism walter white had manufactured. There were no surprises.

This is why Face Off is still essentially my favorite episode of the series, It just keeps on throwing curve balls at you until the very end, and the pay off was so good.

You guys are surprised Walt's plan succeeded? Why? Except these final 2-3 episodes where he runs out of luck, every season before that was him outsmarting and beating everyone that opposed him. The man is an evil genius.

maharg

idspispopd
You guys are surprised Walt's plan succeeded? Why? Except these final 2-3 episodes where he runs out of luck, every season before that was him outsmarting and beating everyone that opposed him. The man is an evil genius.

What they're seeing (and is basically true) is that he usually has to improvise more. Or restart plans from scratch when they go horribly wrong somehow.

Courage

What they're seeing (and is basically true) is that he usually has to improvise more. Or restart plans from scratch when they go horribly wrong somehow.

I'm sure they would include some improvisation if they had enough time. The fact remains that Walt's plans rarely fail. As much as I hate him, we have to give him that.

Gvaz

Banned

The only things I've watched in that list is some of mad men and breaking bad (never finished mad men)

Even if i include close friends in my pool of family members, no one of us have watched The Wire, Oz, Sons of Anarchy, or Law and Order.

Now if you said Star Trek, Criminal Minds, Hannibal, Vicious, Game of Thrones, Seinfeld, that 70's show, malcom in the middle, family guy, south park or the like then I could agree with you.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm sure they would include some improvisation if they had enough time. The fact remains that Walt's plans rarely fail. As much as I hate him, we have to give him that.

Meh, you go on what you see. What you see is his plan going off more flawlessly than usual. They've certainly showed his plans having more problems in less time before.

I don't think it means that it was a fantasy at all, but I do think there's a deliberate sense of ease to Walt's actions in this episode and I don't think it's because of limited time.

Speevy

Banned
I think everyone would have agreed last season that the things Walt did in Felina were in the realm of possibility.

It's only because we see the ruin of Ozymandias and Granite State that we doubt him.

Everyone has more more in em', yes? One of the oldest stories in the book.

Courage

Meh, you go on what you see. What you see is his plan going off more flawlessly than usual. They've certainly showed his plans having more problems in less time before.

I don't think it means that it was a fantasy at all, but I do think there's a deliberate sense of ease to Walt's actions in this episode and I don't think it's because of limited time.

I mean, think about the final two episodes of season 4. Where Walt's plan failed at the end of End Times and had most of Face Off to reconstruct another one. If they want to pull of improvisation, they need time to build tension, throw viewers off and then rebuild tension again. Especially when there's high stakes like a series finale.

The ease in Felina can be attributed to his carefree attitude. He accepted who he was and fully embraced what he did and enjoyed it more than usual. You can see that when he's rigging the M60 and he's exuberantly singing El Paso.

Faddy

Banned
My simple contention is that it was Winter in New Hampshire why was it September (Walt's birthday) in New Mexico. Until someone can answer that I will believe in the fantasy ending.

I believe Walt sets his fantasy end on his birthday, in keeping with his egotistical character.

My simple contention is that it was Winter in New Hampshire why was it September (Walt's birthday) in New Mexico. Until someone can answer that I will believe in the fantasy ending.

I believe Walt sets his fantasy end on his birthday, in keeping with his egotistical character.

If it was his fantasy, why didn't he get to say goodbye to his son then? I mean its his fantasy so why doesn't he do that?

Because it wasn't actually his birthday, it was the birthday listed on the fake ID made for him by Robert Forster.

It's the last day he's going to live - he might as well make bacon numbers.

Faddy

Banned
If it was his fantasy, why didn't he get to say goodbye to his son then? I mean its his fantasy so why doesn't he do that?

No answer for the switch in time?

I will answer your question anyway.

This is my opinion

Walt's fantasy is based in his own reality or he would never be able to convince himself that it were true. He had just been rejected by his son, it would have been false for him to reconcile with his son, that is why he leaves him all the money, no separate trust for Holly.

Why is it Winter in New Hampshire and September in New Mexico?

Faddy

Banned
Because it wasn't actually his birthday, it was the birthday listed on the fake ID made for him by Robert Forster.

It's the last day he's going to live - he might as well make bacon numbers.

He tells Elliot and Gretchen the night before his birthday that it is "10 months and 2 days" until Walter junior's birthday. Walt's birthday is Sept. 7th, Jnr's is June 8th.

Because New Mexico is way farther south than New Hampshire? Maybe it's not "winter" there. Maybe it's early fall. There are places in the United States where snow happens a lot earlier than in other places. So even if it ACTUALLY was September 7th, the idea that it would be sunny and somewhat pleasant in New Mexico and cold and snowy in New Hampshire is in no way out of bounds.

edit: Dude- it's not a fuckin dream sequence :)

It's really obviously not.

I will answer your question anyway.

This is my opinion

Walt's fantasy is based in his own reality or he would never be able to convince himself that it were true. He had just been rejected by his son, it would have been false for him to reconcile with his son, that is why he leaves him all the money, no separate trust for Holly.

Well thanks for answering, unfortunately I didn't have an answer for the supposed switch in time, though I wasn't thinking about it either, I guess I was focused more on the fantasy aspect and if its his fantasy, he should what ever he wants since its not real.

The answer you gave makes sense I guess. As the time thing I think BobbyRoberts had a pretty good explanation

Faddy

Banned
Because New Mexico is way farther south than New Hampshire? Maybe it's not "winter" there. Maybe it's early fall. There are places in the United States where snow happens a lot earlier than in other places.

That is stupid, the seasons are the same no matter where you are in the Northern Hemisphere. If it was September when Walt left for New Mexico he would have had to arrive in NH by July since he received at least 2 monthly visits.

There is no snow in New Hampshire in either July or September. It is clearly Winter, there are no leaves on the trees when he arrives in Granite State.

That is stupid, the seasons are the same no matter where you are in the Northern Hemisphere.

No, not really.

Are you actually arguing that the weather in the Northern Hemisphere is more or less the same in all instances? That being farther north, in higher elevations, doesn't affect the weather in those regions?

That's a wrong assumption to make, man. Sorry.

Beyond which - again - it's really obvious it's not a dream sequence aside from that. Like, the textual evidence in the show itself bears this out.

Faddy

Banned
No, not really.

Are you actually arguing that the weather in the Northern Hemisphere is more or less the same in all instances? That being farther north, in higher elevations, doesn't affect the weather in those regions?

That's a wrong assumption to make, man. Sorry.

I am telling you seasons are the same in the northern hemisphere. It is clearly winter for all the time spent in NH. He arrives at least 2 months before he leaves. It is Winter in NH and has been for at least 2 months but in New Mexico it is September.

kinggroin

Banned

I certainly don't

He's an unlucky shmuck who finally attained a position that demands the "respect" he never had. I empathize.

I am telling you seasons are the same in the northern hemisphere. It is clearly winter for all the time spent in NH. He arrives at least 2 months before he leaves. It is Winter in NH and has been for at least 2 months but in New Mexico it is September.

Okay, all seasons are not "the same" in the United States. Some start earlier, and some start later, some are more severe, some are more temperate.

Also, you're predicating the idea that it's actually September in New Mexico based on Walt's birthday, based on his free breakfast at Dennys, which is based on his having his real birthday on the fake ID made for him, a fake ID that would be sort of missing the point if it had the same birthday as the person it's trying to hide.

Also, to point out how different the seasons are in regions of North America, the back half of Season 5 was actually shot in winter. Winter in Albuquerque looks a lot different than winter in New Hampshire. In fact, Winter in Albuquerque looks almost exactly, on film, like summer in Albuquerque.

It's not a dream sequence.

Monocle

I wish I had Walter White's magical ability to dream things I couldn't possibly know. Like, specific things about people from my past. Things that are true down to the last detail. Those kinds of things.

It wasn't a dream guys.

alf717

I remember when this first season aired and I found it was a good show but I never set the DVR for it. I think I made it through the first season. Gonna have to sit down one of these days and watch as much of it as I can on Netflix one of these days.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Of course it's a dream sequence. Walter would never order food at Denny's, as evidenced by Box Cutter when he orders nothing (!), as he's much too intelligent to even entertain the thought of buying any of that awful stuff. Ergo, he was dreaming when he ordered that food, which means he was dreaming through the rest of it too, for reasons. You're welcome.

coy

Just got through the last 2 episodes the other night and still am emotionally spent. I am waiting for my lady to want to start watching so I can relive all this wonderfulness all over again.

Still loathe Skyler.

Faddy

Banned
Okay, all seasons are not "the same" in the United States. Some start earlier, and some start later, some are more severe, some are more temperate.

Also, you're predicating the idea that it's actually September in New Mexico based on Walt's birthday, based on his free breakfast at Dennys, which is based on his having his real birthday on the fake ID made for him, a fake ID that would be sort of missing the point if it had the same birthday as the person it's trying to hide.

Also, to point out how different the seasons are in regions of North America, the back half of Season 5 was actually shot in winter. Winter in Albequerque looks a lot different than winter in New Hampshire. In fact, Winter in Albequerque looks almost exactly, on film, like summer in Albequerque.

It's not a dream sequence.

No I am basing it on Walt's conversation with Gretchen and Elliot where he says that it is 10 months and 2 days until Walter junior's 18th birthday. The show has told us when both these birthdays occur and places the conversation on September 6th.

The shows tells us it is both mid winter and September. This can't be true so one of these must not be real. It isn't September except in Walt's mind.

Monocle

No I am basing it on Walt's conversation with Gretchen and Elliot where he says that it is 10 months and 2 days until Walter junior's 18th birthday. The show has told us when both these birthdays occur and places the conversation on September 6th.

The shows tells us it is both mid winter and September. This can't be true so one of these must not be real. It isn't September except in Walt's mind.
Odds are you caught a mistake, you're remembering incorrectly, or you're overthinking it. Why can't you just accept that a straightforward episode was a straightforward episode? BB isn't a show that uses cheap tricks to throw off the audience.

Top Bottom