• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

rekameohs

Banned
I doubt the police would think that Walt was cooking that entire time, since they know he stole the car in New Hampshire after leaving them a message, which was then found at Denny's. The only way they would think that is if the phone call was a fake and a diversion, and the person driving the stolen car from NH to NM was whoever gave him the M60. That seems a bit flimsy, so they could either assume that one of the many dead Nazis was the cook, or they could pull Jesse fingerprints from the equipment. The evidence they have should insinuate enough that Walt was in NH to hide and came back just to kill the people who had stolen his recipe.

dalVlatko

I just read the dream theory from Norm Mcdonald's twitter feed and it actually solves all of the problems I had with the finale.

If Gilligan and the writers weren't denying it, I think I would buy it. The biggest problem with it is that two flash forwards to a dream sequence is too crazy for even BB.

inm8num2

Norm's dream theory is nice but just a theory.

The entire series' sequence of events depends on Walt getting a stroke of luck at all the critical moments. Why this suddenly became an issue in the finale, I don't understand.

Besides, I doubt that in Walt's dreamland he'd envision Jesse's own daydreams about making a small wooden box then later imagine a bearded, longer-haired Jesse making meth as a slave for the Nazis even though Walt himself thinks Jesse and Jack were 'partners'.

The dream thing doesn't really hold up under any scrutiny.

IceCold

This dream theory is pissing me of. Every show doesn't need to be 'deep'. If you didn't like the ending then deal with it. Don't try to invent some bullshit theory because you are butthurt.

the dream theory seems to be getting attention since comedian (my favorite ever ) Norm Macdonald started it and not a lot of people could prove him wrong ( although they disagreed )

this thread alone is full of evidence that proves that bullshit wrong. It's just a matter of reading.

it's just a theory it's doesn't have to be right or accurate but it's fun

you should see how big this theory is on Twitter :p

Oh, I know.

And yeah, a theory has to have merit to be worth anything. This is a mostly meritless theory on its best day. That drastically reduces the "Fun" aspect.

Norm McDonald isn't exactly a paragon of storytelling ability. Hell, what does that dude even KNOW about storytelling? I love him as a comedian, he is consistently hilarious - but Norm's entire being is designed to RUIN things. That's why he's funny. He breaks things. He wrecks them.

Why would his opinion on Breaking Bad be anything legitimately considered by anyone? His gaze is instinctively destructive.

Jimothy

Man, I'm watching Season 1 on Netflix and it's incredible how much the show evolved so much visually over the course of its run.

joe2187

Banned
Anyone else cant help but see Skylar's shadow hanging herself in the corner?

tumblr_mtcztsH5Oa1qzbus2o9_r2_250.gif

Speevy

Banned
I think it would be hilarious if a show ended and picked up the next week like the previous episode was just like any other.

Skyler meets with Marie to talk things over, they find out about Walt's death, Hank's funeral happens, just a whole bunch of post-show events that have no tension to them.

Red Comet

the dream theory seems to be getting attention since comedian (my favorite ever ) Norm Macdonald started it and not a lot of people could prove him wrong ( although they disagreed )

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/10/0...cy-theory-suggests-finale-had-a-secret-twist/

The dream theory is interesting and I even like it somewhat, but from everything I've heard Vince Gilligan say about the finale it seems that that was not his intent at all and thus the theory isn't cannon to me.

Mookee

About the dream theory... watch the beginning again and I at least saw why it's a rubbish theory.

Walter in the car at the beginning is talking to himself and says:

"Just get me home. Just get me home. I'll do the rest." <-- That is Walter talking to Heisenberg.

Then the keys drop and from then on it is all just Heisenberg which is why everything goes in his favor.

It is not a fantasy or diseased dream; it is just pure Heisenberg from that point on. Things go his way. He is the one who knocks at the Schwartz', the tea place, Skylers, and the nazis.

rekameohs

Banned
I don't think the type of person we see in Felina is "Heisenberg" - again, splitting the character into parts like he has a split personality disorder is just wrong imo.

The Mr. Lambert we see is different than how Walt acts in his Heisenberg persona or even as his "innocent" guise. As Heisenberg, he was an extreme liar, most notably to himself. He would repeatedly tell himself that he was doing things for the greater good, that it was all for his family. Now, he accepts why he's become and makes no attempts to rationalize what he's doing. Walt before would never let the Schwartzes give the Whites charity, it had to be from him and they had to know it. Remember that he hated Jr's website even though it was funneling his own money, just because they didn't know it was really him.

Now, he doesn't care if he's a monster in the eyes of his children. Now, he's not afraid to lie to himself and say that it was for his family. Now, he understands why a man who suffered through his manipulation would "rat" on him. It's like Jesse said in Season 3, he finally came to terms that he's the bad guy, and just set out to stop everything that remained in his wake, though the evils that he's done can never be undone.

This Walt is a development of the one we see throughout the series; he changes gradually. It's not some switch that just changes from one personality to another on a whim - the show has more subtlety than something as transparent as that.

The dream theory is interesting and I even like it somewhat, but from everything I've heard Vince Gilligan say about the finale it seems that that was not his intent at all and thus the theory isn't cannon to me.
I agree it isn't cannon but since when does the writer's intent matter?

Partition

Banned
Norm's dream theory is nice but just a theory.

The entire series' sequence of events depends on Walt getting a stroke of luck at all the critical moments. Why this suddenly became an issue in the finale, I don't understand

For me it was because he never had to atone for everything he did wrong. Even till the end he got everything he wanted and got away with it for the most part, he died from a self inflicted gunshot and never stepped a foot in prison.

Post mortem on this finale and even though so much destruction and Heisenberg shit happened this felt like a whimper. Ozymandias was the episode that had the major impact for me. This is less memorable. I can't put it beside sopranos and shield (among a few others) for endings really

Bigfoot

Post mortem on this finale and even though so much destruction and Heisenberg shit happened this felt like a whimper. Ozymandias was the episode that had the major impact for me. This is less memorable. I can't put it beside sopranos and shield (among a few others) for endings really
I agree that Ozy was a great episode and I would have been happy if the show ended with Walt driving off in the van. However with that said I still liked the actual ending and would easily put it above the Sopranos ending. I don't care if everything wrapped up perfect, that last episode was a joy to watch.

YoungHav

Banned
Walter White is a hero and inspires me. The lesson I learned from this show is you have to squeeze the most out of life and go out on your own terms, rather than whining about and settling for the mundane. Long Live Heisenberg!

dani_dc

Just saying Sean's theory doesn't make sense since they know he drove a car from New Hampshire to New Mexico.

The DEA will probably figure out that Walt wasn't cooking, but they might believe he was still running the show from New Hampshire and that he only came down because his dealings with the Nazis went sour.

Yeah, forensics would pretty much figure out much of puzzle.

They might believe Walt was in league with the Nazis, and that they were the ones who rescued him from Hank and Gomie.
Somehow and for whatever reason, he came back to kill them.
And Jesse´s fingerprints are all over the place. Who knows how that would turn out for him.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not reading this thread because I'm not caught up but...

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fucking news station just spoiled the ending for me. It was one of those short 2 second promos after a commercial break for 20/20 or something and the guy says 'A local newspaper posts an obituary for Walter White. News at 10."

God damn drive by spoil. Asssssssssssssssholes

How does this spoil anything? The obituary could easily just be in reference to the end of the show. Only by voluntarily listening to the full story or checking the internet to confirm what got spoiled would you actually know whether or not it's even a factual reference to anything.

Top Bottom