• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Faddy

Banned
I wish I had Walter White's magical ability to dream things I couldn't possibly know. Like, specific things about people from my past. Things that are true down to the last detail. Those kinds of things.

It wasn't a dream guys.

Jessie's fantasy is his own. If you notice it is the only scene where Walt isn't present.

No I am basing it on Walt's conversation with Gretchen and Elliot where he says that it is 10 months and 2 days until Walter junior's 18th birthday. The show has told us when both these birthdays occur and places the conversation on September 6th.

The shows tells us it is both mid winter and September. This can't be true so one of these must not be real. It isn't September except in Walt's mind.

It's not a dream sequence, man. The show doesn't show that it's "mid-winter." It shows that there is snow in New Hampshire. You don't even know WHERE in New Hampshire he is. It's obviously pretty fuckin remote.

Again, even if it IS September, and the cleaner DID put his actual birthday on the fake ID - you're essentially arguing that there is no place in New Hampshire that could exist where it could snow in September, and you're arguing that based on the fact it's not winter in Albuquerque, even though the episode was actually shot IN winter, in Albuquerque.

Jessie's fantasy is his own. If you notice it is the only scene where Walt isn't present.

No, according to you, Jesse's fantasy is WALT'S fantasy. Walt has fantasized Jesse having a daydream about a memory of Jesse's that, so far as I remember, was never shared with Walt. :)

Faddy

Banned
Odds are you caught a mistake, you're remembering incorrectly, or you're overthinking it. Why can't you just accept that a straightforward episode was a straightforward episode?

I am not remembering incorrectly. Look it up yourself, there is a wiki with an approximate timeline.

If it is a mistake it is a very big one. Continuity out by several months is much worse than a missing watch but we get a whole scene putting that small error right.

I am not remembering incorrectly. Look it up yourself, there is a wiki with an approximate timeline.

If it is a mistake it is a very big one. Continuity out by several months is much worse than a missing watch but we get a whole scene putting that small error right.

A wiki with an approximate timeline.

Well then.

Point out on the timeline where the show has gone in for extended dream sequences before.

The ending wasn't a dream. The show has never done things like that before, there is no story ambiguity throughout the entire thing, so suddenly with the finale they pull a "lol it was a dream"?

pooshda

Neo Member
That was a day dream.

Where does it say that, curious of your source.... If there isn't one I think it could be interpreted either way but a day dream could be it just as well I suppose (sort of "what could have been" kind of thing). He did make that box and talk about it several seasons ago though, that's the exact box he traded for an ounce of weed.

Faddy

Banned
It's not a dream sequence, man. The show doesn't show that it's "mid-winter." It shows that there is snow in New Hampshire. You don't even know WHERE in New Hampshire he is. It's obviously pretty fuckin remote.

Again, even if it IS September, and the cleaner DID put his actual birthday on the fake ID - you're essentially arguing that there is no place in New Hampshire that could exist where it could snow in September, and you're arguing that based on the fact it's not winter in Albuquerque, even though the episode was actually shot IN winter, in Albuquerque.

No, according to you, Jesse's fantasy is WALT'S fantasy. Walt has fantasized Jesse having a daydream about a memory of Jesse's that, so far as I remember, was never shared with Walt. :)

It isn't winter in Albuquerque because Walt tells you it is September.

Walt gets a least two visits from the vacuum guy, meaning he spend two months minimum in isolation growing his hair. He would have to arrive in NH in July for that to make sense, even though we see the ground covered in snow and trees without leaves.

Just because the episode contains Walt's fantasy doesn't mean Jesse's fantasy happens inside Walt's. the episode can have moving perspectives. The only scene where Walt isn't there is for Jesse's fantasy clearly marking that as separate from the rest of the episode.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I cannot believe people are seriously trying to argue for this moronic dream thing.

Jesse alone, even without that mid episode moment with him, shatters it completetly. Walt wanted to KILL HIM. He had no idea he was basically in slavery. Why would he imagine that Jesse went through a hellish situation(and guess correctly EXACTLY how it happened), and then decide to let him leave and also not have him shoot Walt when he wanted that?

QuEIcb1.jpg

i want something else to get me through this life.

Fivp7b2.jpg

pooshda

Neo Member
I cannot believe people are seriously trying to argue for this moronic dream thing.

I agree... and I have seen Felina about 12 times in the process of editing my video there was never any even remotely solid indicator that he slipped into a dream... none whatsoever, they would have hinted or showed some kind of indicator no matter how tiny but there was nothing. Crazy theory is crazy.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I agree... and I have seen Felina about 12 times in the process of editing my video there was never any even remotely solid indicator that he slipped into a dream... none whatsoever, they would have at least hinted in the most minute way for someone to pick up on it with reason and not just out of absurdity.

Yeah. And they had plenty of times to do so, if they happened to lose their mind and wanted to ruin their ending like that.

Like, oh I dunno, the whole family scene. He would of realistically dreamed of not having to avoid his fuckin' son that hates him. A dreamlike scenario would be him walking in and them hugging and having some character breaking sappy line as a tip off.

Tapiozona

Banned
Not reading this thread because I'm not caught up but...

Fuck fuck fuck fuck fucking news station just spoiled the ending for me. It was one of those short 2 second promos after a commercial break for 20/20 or something and the guy says 'A local newspaper posts an obituary for Walter White. News at 10."

God damn drive by spoil. Asssssssssssssssholes

8 more episodes to go. Planned on finishing the show this weekend.

Just because the episode contains Walt's fantasy doesn't mean Jesse's fantasy happens inside Walt's. the episode can have moving perspectives. The only scene where Walt isn't there is for Jesse's fantasy clearly marking that as separate from the rest of the episode.

That's not how "moving perspectives" work. If you're arguing that Walt's fantasy begins in New Hampshire, then everything that follows is Walt's fantasy. There's no reason to see Jesse's flashback otherwise. You're arguing that the real narrative of the entire show is

a) Walt dies in a car
b) Jesse has a daydream in a meth lab.

Again, you also have to point out where in the show, previously, a single dream sequence has ever been used as a storytelling conceit, ever. It's not part of the storytelling toolset of the show.

And again, you have no idea WHERE in New Hampshire he is, so you're going to have to argue that there isn't a section of New Hampshire that exists where it is wintry and cold for most of the year.

There are regions of that type in many parts of the northern United States.

And again - I'm saying that IN REAL LIFE - January/February in Albuquerque looks exactly the same on film as June/July. You can tell because the last 8 episodes of this show were FILMED in the winter months.

Again, your argument hinges on the idea that Albuquerque can't possibly look the way it does at the same time New Hampshire looks the way IT does. And it's obviously pretty possible. Hell, the sequences standing in for New Hampshire were shot IN NEW MEXICO.

here's the thing, though: it doesn't matter.

Well no shit, it doesn't matter. Because the internet is filled with people who only argue about the most important of subjects all the time. :)

Faddy

Banned

Jesse alone, even without that mid episode moment with him, shatters it completetly. Walt wanted to KILL HIM. He had no idea he was basically in slavery. Why would he imagine that Jesse went through a hellish situation(and guess correctly EXACTLY how it happened), and then decide to let him leave and also not have him shoot Walt when he wanted that?

If Walt wanted to kill him why does he save him from the machine gun fire? Whether it is a dream or not Walt's motivations are exactly the same.

Now would Jesse shoot Walt, that is ambiguous.

My opinion is that in Walter's fantasy he regrets handing jesse over to the Nazis so he doesn't fantasise about Jesse shooting him he fantasises about Jesse being free from him.

i'm talking about the dude who got spoiled. i'm ignoring this dream nonsense. i'm gonna keep making third eye blind/breaking bad crossovers.

jBK1mPz.png

I REMEMBER U + ME USED TA SPEND THE WHOLE GADDAM DAY IN BED

rekameohs

Banned
Okay, all seasons are not "the same" in the United States. Some start earlier, and some start later, some are more severe, some are more temperate.

Also, you're predicating the idea that it's actually September in New Mexico based on Walt's birthday, based on his free breakfast at Dennys, which is based on his having his real birthday on the fake ID made for him, a fake ID that would be sort of missing the point if it had the same birthday as the person it's trying to hide.

Also, to point out how different the seasons are in regions of North America, the back half of Season 5 was actually shot in winter. Winter in Albuquerque looks a lot different than winter in New Hampshire. In fact, Winter in Albuquerque looks almost exactly, on film, like summer in Albuquerque.

It's not a dream sequence.
I'm pretty sure that was his real birthday; just fits the narrative better. I think it was summer in New Hampshire - it's just always fucking cold in the mountains there.

Faddy

Banned
I'm pretty sure that was his real birthday; just fits the narrative better. I think it was summer in New Hanpshire - it's just always fucking cold in the mountains there.

It is Winter, there are no leaves on the trees and snow on the ground. They talk about having enough LP to last through the Winter. If it was Summer those things wouldn't happen.

Resilient

"It's my opinion" well if it's your opinion, you keep it. Don't go spouting it like it's fact because it just isn't. Damn.

The troll levels in here are through the roof!

pooshda

Neo Member
i'm gonna keep making third eye blind/breaking bad crossovers.

lol, are you the dude who messaged me on YouTube a while back asking me to make a Breaking Bad video to Semi-Charmed Kind of Life?

Someone asked me to do that once and with all your Third Eye Blind stuff I am starting to wonder.

lol, are you the dude who messaged me on YouTube a while back asking me to make a Breaking Bad video to Semi-Charmed Kind of Life?

Someone asked me to do that once and with all your Third Eye Blind stuff I am starting to wonder.

this honestly sounds like something i would do but i have no idea. you could do a video to "slow motion" where jesse shoots poor gale.

Grinchy

Banned
Remember when Walt falls down in the bathroom after burying his money? He smacks his head on the ground and is passed out for many hours. That's when the dream sequence started.

Speevy

Banned
Let me ask you all a serious question.

When you saw the creator of the show sitting on the couch ready to talk about the ending, were you still convinced that they would murder babies, or have some head trip ending where everything is what Walt wants it to be?

This whole show is Walt's fantasy. That's the point. He empowered himself at the expense of everyone.

I would much rather people say that the finale sucked than call it brilliant for something it wasn't.

Because at least if the finale sucked, nothing changes. Everyone is still unhappy, none of the events of Ozymandias or Granite State were undone. Brock is still without a mother, Marie and Skyler without a husband, Flynn without a father. Lives shattered forever.

And here's another thing. Not one person aside from Jesse will ever know about the machine gun trunk. That part dies with him.

So I think Vince Gilligan did you guys a solid, as Jack might say. He took the ending you might have hated, and made it something you could write off. But it was not, in any form or fashion in someone's head.

rekameohs

Banned
Remember when Walt falls down in the bathroom after burying his money? He smacks his head on the ground and is passed out for many hours. That's when the dream sequence started.
He also did that in the pilot. Dream within a dream.

Then the whole thing is a dream of Gus' after his partner got shot.

Requiem

DVR'd the whole second half of season 5 and just finished it. Sweet jesus what a ride...

I wasn't sure how I wanted it to end but the ending we got seemed the most appropriate. Some part of me was hoping he'd die in a more abrupt fashion

Resilient

Gilligan stole the idea for this show out my head when I fell asleep in my own car, about 6 years ago. I know because I dreamed the dream.

Speevy

Banned
How many swastikas is too many on a person?

I mean you want to say "I'm a Nazi." but there's a line where it becomes unfashionable I think.

No Love

Banned
Let me ask you all a serious question.

When you saw the creator of the show sitting on the couch ready to talk about the ending, were you still convinced that they would murder babies, or have some head trip ending where everything is what Walt wants it to be?

This whole show is Walt's fantasy. That's the point. He empowered himself at the expense of everyone.

I would much rather people say that the finale sucked than call it brilliant for something it wasn't.

Because at least if the finale sucked, nothing changes. Everyone is still unhappy, none of the events of Ozymandias or Granite State were undone. Brock is still without a mother, Marie and Skyler without a husband, Flynn without a father. Lives shattered forever.

And here's another thing. Not one person aside from Jesse will ever know about the machine gun trunk. That part dies with him.

So I think Vince Gilligan did you guys a solid, as Jack might say. He took the ending you might have hated, and made it something you could write off. But it was not, in any form or fashion in someone's head.

Pretty sure the DEA and police are going to figure out pretty easily what happened with the machine gun trunk considering it was left there with tons of dead bodies inside while Walt died and Jesse began the intro for Need For Speed.

Speevy

Banned
Pretty sure the DEA and police are going to figure out pretty easily what happened with the machine gun trunk considering it was left there with tons of dead bodies inside while Walt died and Jesse began the intro for Need For Speed.

I meant that the whole series of events leading up to it is pretty hard to believe.

For all the police know, Walt was the cook the whole time, Jesse machine gunned everyone, etc.

It's one of those events that only one character has to know, so it's easy to throw it away if you don't like it. That was my only point.

Apath

If Walt wanted to kill him why does he save him from the machine gun fire? Whether it is a dream or not Walt's motivations are exactly the same.
Probably because Walt finally realized the full extent of the damage he caused to Jessie.

Guess Who

Banned
Vince Gilligan has pretty explicitly stated that Walt intended to kill Jesse before he saw what the Nazis (and consequently, his own actions) had done to him.

Top Bottom