• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Jak140

Final shot: Walt carries Jesse's limp body. Whitney Houston's and I Will Always Love You blares as the Nazi camp explodes in the background.

Jesse made a lot of bad decisions, but they were never calculated decisions. They were largely reactionary and born from a lack of maturity or substance dependency.

Walter actively stood back, assessed a situation and *then* made bad decisions.

I suppose it's all a matter of perspective, but I have much greater empathy for Jessie than I have for Walt. Jesse feels like the product of a time and place, whereas Walter feels like someone who could have and should have known better.

Yeah, Jesse had no idea what he was doing when he went to NA meetings just to sell them meth. Not calculated at all.

Walt was just willing to sacrifice that relationship if it meant his own survival. It was always his own survival over Jesse. He was willing to use Jesse, if it meant for the "greater good" - as he saw it. Anyways, this talk about their relationship is kind of beyond the point now. Walt signed Jesse's death warrant. Jesse hates Walt's guts. It's never going to go back to what it was. I wouldn't be surprised if they killed each other.

It always seemed like Walt saw Jesse as his 'son', especially since Walt Jr was never supposed to know about Walt's 'meth-making genious'. Jesse took part and witnessed Walt at his most powerful. Their relationship also shows that Walt's 'doing it for the family' is partially bullshit, that the overarching core of Walt is his 'mastery'. He wants to be remembered as a master/genius, and uses his relationships to maintain and perpetuate this façade. He doesn't like Frank being a Hero, because HE must be the hero. He doesnt' want to be remembered as a cancerman or a gambling winner, he wants to be remembered as someone who made his money out of mastery of science.

It makes the show so much better: this transformation from season 2 where he was pretending to be this kingpin Heisenberg in order to get money for his family, where in reality this family-connection was the façade all along. He wants to be remembered as a man with power and genius.

I'm not sure the question?

This stems from the notion that Jesse should be absolved of all guilt because he feels both of those things. I'm not sure why Walt has to feel that way? His character is molded in a manner where it's not necessary.

It's not necessary to feel guilt and regret? I'm not entirely sure what your point is.

The reason people feel bad for Jesse is that he has a conscience. He's no angel, but he hates himself for what he's done. Put that together with the fact that he's been punished over and over for his actions, and it's not exactly hard to understand why people want him to have a 'happy' ending (if that's even possible given his current situation).

Anyway, this point and the opposing arguments have been made over and over already.

nOoblet16

I have a question about Netflix, how long does it takes for the episode to come up after the air time in US Netflix? It takes a couple of hours for it to appear in the UK netflix even though I think I read it somewhere before the start of this season that they will make it available for viewing as soon as the US telecast is finished.

Speevy

Banned
I have a question about Netflix, how long does it takes for the episode to come up after the air time in US Netflix? It takes a couple of hours for it to appear in the UK netflix even though I think I read it somewhere before the start of Part 2 season 5 that they will make it available for viewing as soon as the US telecast is finished.

It doesn't come up at all on our Netflix. Latest we have is S5 part 1.

Bleepey

I have a question about Netflix, how long does it takes for the episode to come up after the air time in US Netflix? It takes a couple of hours for it to appear in the UK netflix even though I think I read it somewhere before the start of this season that they will make it available for viewing as soon as the US telecast is finished.

I think it's at about 9AM Uk time.

It airs in America at 2am and it appears on Netflix between 9am to 11am (this is all in BST [ie if you live in Ireland or the UK]).

It's so sad that I have to watch this myself, since nobody I know watches Breaking Bad. Seriously. All this BrBa themed food too. I want to sit down and eat Heisenberg cake and dipping sticks while I watch the finale with someone ;_;

It's so sad that I have to watch this myself, since nobody I know watches Breaking Bad. Seriously. All this BrBa themed food too. I want to sit down and eat Heisenberg cake and dipping sticks while I watch the finale with someone ;_;

I'll watch it with you for 1 hour if you give me $10,000.

Speevy

Banned
I hope it ends with Walt becoming a lumberjack, that would be great.

Timber_DonnellyMills2005_SeanMcClean.jpg

tumblr_inline_mtjovdTeRM1qarprc.gif

Zoolader

So I'm thinking Elliot Schwartz of Gray Matter Tech. has been in cahoots with Lydia and Madrigal Electromotive GmbH. Seems messy saving that for the series finale but I'm thinking Walt is going to walk in on them if he goes after Elliot.

Speevy

Banned
So I'm thinking Elliot Schwartz of Gray Matter Tech. has been in cahoots with Lydia and Madrigal Electromotive GmbH. Seems messy saving that for the series finale but I'm thinking Walt is going to walk in on them if he goes after Elliot.

That would be a 24 level of stupid.

All the cards are out there. The people don't need twists.

This is a show that surprises people, but it's not ABOUT surprising people.

Gilligan's said one of the best finales ever was the MASH finale - and that finale came up in the writers room.

There's gotta be something to that.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Jesse had no idea what he was doing when he went to NA meetings just to sell them meth. Not calculated at all.

I'm not arguing that Jesse hasn't made morally reprehensible decisions before.

Thinking back over it, I guess I don't classify addicts as complete degenerates. In a general case, I don't think you or I are just "made of stronger stuff" than an addict. In an alternate universe, a random innocuous decision by my parents might have seeded a chain of events that might have resulted in substance addiction. One bad emotional decision as a teenager might have triggered the same thing. I don't see myself as above that life, I see myself as fortunate to have avoided it by luck and circumstance.

With that in mind, I can (relatively) easily put myself into Walt's shoes at the start of season one. He might have lived a life more like my own. That's what makes his actions disgusting. That feeling: "I understand you and I would never make that decision". As opposed to the Jessie perspective: "I have not ever experienced what it's like to be in your world, but it seems profoundly hopeless and painful". A friend betraying you versus a dog biting you, for example.

Of course, I might be looking back over the series with a foggy lens. I'd forgotten about Jessie selling drugs to the AA attendees and whatnot.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Normally I wait for the next night to watch Breaking Bad, but I might make an exception for the finale.

I don't want people who watches the show at my job tomorrow going: DUDE DID YOU SEE THAT FINALE OMG!

Top Bottom