• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Zertez

The more I think about the ending, the more I like. The list of series finales that are horrible are too many to list, it is tough to think of many shows with better endings. About the only ones I can remember that were as good as Breaking Bad are Six Feet Under, Wonder Years, Cheers, The Shield, The Wire and MASH.

Mononoke

Banned
So Walt orchestrated all that, but he ended up getting killed by essentially a stray bullet/ deflection? I'm guessing he was banking on manipulating Jesse into killing him if he wasn't hit by the machine gun.

What was Walt's plan if he didn't get hit by the stray bullet and Jesse still wouldn't shoot him? Just off himself?

I don't think Walt really planned on dying per se (or at least, any specific way). He even said "whatever happens to me". Before he went there, he expected Jesse was a partner and not a slave. So I don't agree it was his plan to manipulate him to kill him all along.

Last few episodes have been incredible but that finale was wildly disappointing in my opinion.

Pacing was frankly all wrong. Alternatingly way too rushed and way too slow. Final song made me literally laugh. "Guess I got what I deserve" (or similar) as the opening lyric? Little bit on the nose there.

Haha, yeah. That was a bit much.

Zeliard

So I hear The Wire is a good show? I need to fill this void left by this amazing show.

HBO had several remarkably strong shows in the 2000s. The Sopranos (technically started in 1999), The Wire, Deadwood, Rome. Watch, enjoy, and I envy anyone's first viewing of any of those shows.

Kusagari

I feel like the Nazis/Todd were the perfect final obstacle.

Because Walt is the reason they became meth kingpins. Walt is the reason, through involving them more and more in his business, they ultimately killed Hank and Andrea.

It's fitting that the final obstacle Walt had to go through was an evil he himself created.

I give you the Sopranos ... but The Wire really fell off in quality to me in the latter seasons.

Sopranos ambiguous ending was pretty shitty though.

It's pretty amazing to me on a rewatch actually. That's a death scene to me. The blankness, the sudden audio cut. Bobby Bacala spelled it out in the flashback

I feel this season peaked with ozymandias for sure. The latter two, while tying up loose ends feel like an epilogue

MormaPope

Banned
Face/Off is so much better than Felina it's ridiculous.

Context? What is that anyways?!

Walt was a dead man walking, there were no stakes whatsoever. What was at stake given the context of the last few episodes? The final episode was the end of Walt's story, his final moments and who he was during them.

The expectations of some Breaking Bad watchers are fickle and out there sometimes.

This episode should've came bundled with last weeks.
On its own, this episode doesn't live up to the gargantuan week long wait expectations it had.
But when put next to the previous episodes it's perfect.
Everything in the storyline finished
Except Huell. But I guess we will see him on Sauls show.

Season 5 B is the best season of television ever, and Breaking Bad is the best series of all time.

All hail the king
Yup. The Sopranos, The Wire, etc. wish their final seasons or finales had been this amazing.

All hail the new king indeed.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Eh of all the outrageous things in the show that wouldn't even make the list, it could probably happen. The important part is that Walt believed his family will get the money.
Gilligan said on Talking Bad that they get the money. So yea ill take his word

Courage

What made this episode so beautiful was Walt embracing Heisenberg. He realized he always was lying to himself. End of the day, he did it because "he liked it."

Like a little child, he died playing with his toys.

Mononoke

Banned
Vince just said on Talking Bad that Walt went there expecting to kill Jesse, but then changed his mind when he saw him as a slave.

Did you watch the Dexter finale? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't since it's the worst piece of shit you'll ever experience.

Heh, I read reviews and summaries, and it seems that people are mad because Dexter pretty much won. Everything went perfectly for him. Breaking Bad ended exactly the same - sure the main character is dead, but everything went about according to his plans. Skyler is safe, his family will have money, the brotherhood is dead, Lydia is dead... No more blue meth... Everything was perfect.

I give you the Sopranos ... but The Wire really fell off in quality to me in the latter seasons.

Sopranos ambiguous ending was pretty shitty though.
I'll give you some bad episodes of S5 for The Wire. But if you felt ANYTHING was off in S4 (especially "Final Grades"), then I don't know if high tier tv is for you.

Dang, OT may exceed Gaming tonight.

It ended the way it should have. Some of the speculation was spot-on. Walt did achieve a measure of redemption, as he finally could admit he did it all for himself. And Jesse now has a chance at life.

Joseca

Banned
What a very good way to end the series. Thankfully I haven't watched The Wire, because I already feel like I don't have anything left to watch :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
HBO had several remarkably strong shows in the 2000s. The Sopranos (technically started in 1999), The Wire, Deadwood, Rome. Watch, enjoy, and I envy anyone's first viewing of any of those shows.

Well I've never actually seen any of these so I guess I'll start watching them during my spare time.

Gorillaz

For some reason S4 and the ending hit me alot better but this was still an enjoyable ending to a strong as hell show.

So I hear The Wire is a good show? I need to fill this void left by this amazing show. Chris Hardwick (sp) is either high or still teary eyed. Also Jesse strangling Todd had me cheering out loud.

Wire is a different beast. But you couldn't go wrong with many HBO shows honestly including six feet under.

Loved the finale. Sort of predictable at some points, but there really wasn't any other way it could end. The real ending to the "plot" was Ozymandias if anyone didn't catch that. This came off as more of a bittersweet tribute to what the show was really about at its core. And boy, it was almost perfect.

Top Bottom