• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Mononoke

Banned
I think he did go there to save Jesse while also wiping out Lydia and the nazis, so that he could do something good before he died

I love how responses from fans have been:

"Walt went there with the plan all along, to manipulate Jesse into killing him".

"Walt went there with the intention so save Jesse"

My personal understanding is that, Walt went there to kill the Nazi's and Jesse. But in that moment that he saw Jesse as a slave, decided he couldn't do it. So decided to save him. But maybe I read it wrong. It did seem like Walt was trying to make an amends for all the shit he did wrong. So maybe Walt put 2 and 2 together, and never really believed Jesse was a partner. I mean, he knew Jesse didn't want to ever cook again. So him working for the Nazi's never should have rang true for him.

Someone told me that Suits is like House except with Lawyers..

I would watch this if it's the case, while trying to manage my expectations because I believe that House was one of the greatest TV characters ever conceived.

If the characters are strong, I'll probably watch the watch the show and I don't want to put up with bullshit like Dexter where the only two interesting protagonist were Deb and Dexter... God I'm still pissed that I wasted my time with that show. It wasn't all bad, but I would say that only half the time it was truly enjoyable for me.

oh there far more interesting character in Suits than Dexter. The writing in the show I don't like but it much better than Dexter where his consequence doesn't follow him around after the season end

border

The DEA knows everything Marie knows, and Marie knows he was cooperating. May have even seen the tape. Jesse is probably going to get off light in the end.

Why would they cut Jesse a deal?

Though more annoyingly, why would they cut Skyler a deal just for telling them the location of Hank's body?

inm8num2

It's not like Walt set out there to save Jesse's life. That was just an on the Whim decision he made, when he saw Jesse, and felt bad for him.

I definitely think Walt went there to save Jesse. In accepting himself for who he was and who he became, it was all a part of making amends for what he caused.

Even so, Walt's plan involved bringing Jesse into the room with the Nazis in order to make sure he could "protect" Jesse when he set off the gunfire. At least, that's how I interpreted it. The lines about Jesse being Jack's "partner" and the associated anger were just a play by Walt. He knew damn well that the Nazis wouldn't partner with Jesse in any way possible. Walt just manipulated Jack there a bit.

Looking at how that scene played out, I definitely believe saving Jesse was a primary goal alongside vengeance for the Nazis killing Hank and taking his money. After all, Walt showed he didn't care about getting the money back, right? He just wanted to give the Nazis what they deserved.

I say this as someone who thought Walt was a selfish, lying coward for much of the show's run. I still think he was those things, but in this finale he thought it, too.

If Skyler didn't name him, Marie sure as hell did.

Yeah, you know what you are right, she would have.
So I don't know what Jesse gets after that. It's nice to see him have his 'yeah bitch!' moment and drive away alive, but I don't think he has any money and he probably can't stay in town. I guess after all that shit, being alive is the best ray of hope he gets.

Mononoke

Banned
I definitely think Walt went there to save Jesse. In accepting himself for who he was and who he became, it was all a part of making amends for what he caused.

Even so, Walt's plan involved bringing Jesse into the room with the Nazis in order to make sure he could "protect" Jesse when he set off the gunfire. At least, that's how I interpreted it. The lines about Jesse being Jack's "partner" and the associated anger were just a play by Walt. He knew damn well that the Nazis wouldn't partner with Jesse in any way possible. Walt just manipulated Jack there a bit.

I say this as someone who thought Walt was a selfish, lying coward for much of the show's run. I still think he was those things, but in this finale he thought it, too.

Wow really? How many of you believe Walt went there to save Jesse?

I really did not read it that way at all.

Yeah, you know what you are right, she would have.
So I don't know what Jesse gets after that. It's nice to see him have his 'yeah bitch!' moment and drive away alive, but I don't think he has any money and he probably can't stay in town. I guess after all that shit, being alive is the best ray of hope he gets.

yeah I thought Walt was going to ask Jack where his money is then shoot him and give it to Jesse.

Walt clearly went in there thinking that Jesse was in cahoots with Jack. He had every intention of killing Jesse along with the rest of them.

maharg

idspispopd
Why would they cut Jesse a deal?

Though more annoyingly, why would they cut Skyler a deal just for telling them the location of Hank's body?

A lot of the pressure to prosecute either of them very hard goes away now that Walt is dead. They wanted Walt, Skyler and Jesse are small fries.

sappyday

I love how responses from fans have been:

"Walt went there with the plan all along, to manipulate Jesse into killing him".

"Walt went there with the intention so save Jesse"

My personal understanding is that, Walt went there to kill the Nazi's and Jesse. But in that moment that he saw Jesse as a slave, decided he couldn't do it. So decided to save him. But maybe I read it wrong. It did seem like Walt was trying to make an amends for all the shit he did wrong. So maybe Walt put 2 and 2 together, and never really believed Jesse was a partner. I mean, he knew Jesse didn't want to ever cook again. So him working for the Nazi's never should have rang true for him.
You're 100% right if you were to follow Vince Gilligan's vision.

Mononoke

Banned
He went there to kill the nazis but when he saw Jesse in a state worse than death he decided to add him to the fix this shit list and saved him

That's how I took it. Oh well. It's always interesting to see how fans differ on what they believe Walt's actions and intentions were.

gnrmjd

I also really like how from last year when we saw Walt with the giant gun we all this time expected a Scarface-esque scene, but what we got was Scarface with science instead, with him building a turret rather than going in guns ablazing. That was very Walt, so that was awesome.

What was the whole point of the watch on the telephone?

In talking bad they said it was to correct an error for continuity. When they shot the diner scene he wasn't wearing a watch so they had to have him get rid of it lol.

But Vince said you could also look at it in a way where Walt puts the watch down because it was given to him by Jesse, who was now like an enemy to him.

Omzz

Maybe I'm still on the high, but no other series has been more captivating than this one for me. It's sad to see go, but on the other hand glad they ended it how they wanted.

It did seem though the finale was too neatly wrapped in a present for the viewers. But my God...of course Walt had to die in a meth lab. Such a perfect end for a great show

yeah I thought Walt was going to ask Jack where his money is then shoot him and give it to Jesse.

Was there another bag of his money after he went to see saul or did the cops get both bags. ?

At least Jesse's face isn't know to the public. He was never part of the public talk. He would be able to leave. That's what made shooting Andrea so crazy. It just closed that possibility before we could even get to it.

One complaint is I really did want to see Saul or Huelle for a moment.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I'm sure that their compound is in a pretty remote location without any neighbors.

Doesn't Todd essentially say to Jesse in the cage -- "Scream all you want, nobody will hear you"?

A large machine gun is just a tad louder than someone screaming.

Mononoke

Banned
It kind of seems like most of the critics are sort of lukewarm on the finale. Like they all agree it was a good ending to the show. But that it wasn't a great episode. I'm guessing they are in the same group of fans, that really wanted to see a much darker and harsher ending?

amnesiac

In talking bad they said it was to correct an error for continuity. When they shot the diner scene he wasn't wearing a watch so they had to have him get rid of it lol.

But Vince said you could also look at it in a way where Walt puts the watch down because it was given to him by Jesse, who was now like an enemy to him.

Makes sense. Thanks.

i gotta put breaking bad on top of the wire.

Season 5 of the wire was pretty ridiculous for the most part
Yeah, ESPECIALLY if you take into account that The Wire had more "creative freedom" than Breaking Bad. The fact that Breaking Bad started great and only got better over time even with all the restrictions that the HBO shows don't have to deal with is an amazing achievement.

Breaking Bad is, quite literally, the little show that could.

It kind of seems like most of the critics are sort of lukewarm on the finale. Like they all agree it was a good ending to the show. But that it wasn't a great episode. I'm guessing they are in the same group of fans, that really wanted to see a much darker and harsher ending?

Lukewarm? Most say its one of the best and fitting finales. Which review was lukewarm ?

Content Roundup - Episode 8 - Felina

DltSXCz.jpg

Videos
Reviews
Other

Top Bottom