• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - The (Beautiful) Finale - Season 5 Part 2 - Sunday on AMC - OT3

Imm0rt4l

He definitely wanted to kill Jesse when he entered the meeting. That's why he waited for Jesse to be brought in before firing the M60. It wasn't until he saw how shitty he looked that he decided to save him.

Vince says this himself in the making of video.

Really? I should watch that.

Plasmid

Isn't that kind of a bad thing? This isn't a Spielberg movie.

I really like closure in tv ever since The
Sopranos
. I feel vince gilligan did a great job although i would have liked to see Walt mix in the ricin, and i know Jesse is in a state of complete despair and hatred toward walt i wanted more than just a simple nod off into the sunset.

Is there a list of nods back to older episodes / references for this episode?

greatgeek

Banned
So the show ends wih Walts redemption, and it is kinda happy too...

I did not saw that coming. I was a bit disapointed, but it was very good, i don't know how else to finish it.

Not redemption, but acceptance. WW in Felina is basically like
John Marston walking out of the barn
, except WW is a giant asshole.

Grinchy

Banned
I definitely liked the episode and I very much appreciate how the series has ended, but I'm with the people who are surprised by how predictable things went. I started watching the episode ready to believe that anything could happen, but what happened was exactly what most people would have expected.

That's really not a complaint, by the way. It's just shocking how un-shocking the episode turned out to be. But, like blame space said, the misdirections were a cool touch.

jstripes

Banned
Except it wasn't. The entire episode was under the perspective of Walter and him seeing himself finishing it all under his terms that of someone who is smarter than the people trying to catch or kill him that of someone who is wrapping it all into one neat little package with no loose ends. We saw the ending through the perspective of a delusional egotistic criminal.

The whole episode felt so grim, in tone and atmosphere. You could actually feel Walt's emotions through that.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I didnt either, but i think its true. The only reason being that in interviews it has been said that walt goes back to ABQ to "Protect someone" the only person fitting that bill tonight was Jesse.

He protected his family financially even if they hate him, probably what that means.

Mononoke

Banned
I think, for me at least, it's not necessarily wanting a darker ending so much as it is having a little bit of story whiplash. Ozymandias and Granite State are basically Walt brought low, his luck and schemes having run out, leaving behind a desperate man on the edge facing his end.

Feline winds up feeling strange because Walt is basically totally in control throughout. His luck is in full force with the car. He manages to get Gretchen and Elliot to dance to his tune (or at least appear to be doing so), and he sciences up an awesome and total defeat for his enemies. Jesse lives because Walt decrees it. He even schemes ricin into Lydia's Stevia, sealing off that little loophole.

So it's just weird, mentally, to go from Walt at the end of his rope to a Walt basically dictating the events of the finale. It's a solid finale, it just feels... Strange. It makes me wish for a five-minute epilogue where we find out all of his last schemes ultimately failed, and Walt died as deluded as he lived.

Yeah, see to me - that's why I found the finale to be surprising. I figured the show was going to continue with the tone of the last 7 episodes. This episode felt tonally different, and went in a direction I didn't expect.

Like yeah, maybe I knew the ending was going to play out with Walt and the Nazis. But I didn't know they were going to make it more celebratory. I see fans keep saying it was predictable. But I didn't predict that ending (again, the tone/style).

Gorillaz

While I do get the complaints that it the ending is too cleanly pieced together, the same could be said arguably for the second and fourth seasons.
I personally thought it was because they didn't know if BB would get renewed. Especially season 2

For S4 Vince made it so if the show ended right there It would have some sort of closure

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I didnt either, but i think its true. The only reason being that in interviews it has been said that walt goes back to ABQ to "Protect someone" the only person fitting that bill tonight was Jesse.

Well, Skyler too.

Think he went in, hoping to find out how much involvement Jesse has with the Blue Meth that's still being made. I have a feeling, that he planned on turning on the gun while they were all standing (i.e. himself as well), until he finds out that Jesse is stuck there as a slave chef, making it necessary to jump on him and take him to the ground (and cover him), to protect him from the gun.

After pondering a bit I think the aspect of the episode that seemed a little far fetched was building a sentry gun in like half a day. Also did they show how he got m60? Who was it for originally?

jtb

Banned
After pondering a bit I think the aspect of the episode that seemed a little far fetched was building a sentry gun in like half a day. Also did they show how he got m60? Who was it for originally?

Presumably he bought it to fuck up some Nazis. Nothing in the episode suggests otherwise.

Ingeniero

What a beautiful finale, I had to drink a whole bottle of rum to help me. Really such a nice ending, I am drunk now and so happy, I shouted, I cried, I laughed, thanks BB such a great run, thanks.
Thanks to BBGaf for being so kickass, thanks all.

And I was sooo right about Lidias ricin.

Its being a great run, gracias totales.

rekameohs

Banned
After pondering a bit I think the aspect of the episode that seemed a little far fetched was building a sentry gun in like half a day.

Keep in mind this is a man who dug a hole the size of a small swimming pool with a shovel in a night, haha. Some things have to be handwaved away.

inm8num2

Okay I just watched that making of video. Yup, Walt did want to kill Jesse.

I guess I was giving Walt too much credit for his turnaround, but still once he saw Jesse wasn't exactly a 'partner' he wised up.

They showed him getting it in Live Free or Die. His original plan was to take out the nazis and jesse

maharg

idspispopd
Well, Skyler too.

Think he went in, hoping to find out how much involvement Jesse has with the Blue Meth that's still being made. I have a feeling, that he planned on turning on the gun while they were all standing (i.e. himself as well), until he finds out that Jesse is stuck there as a slave chef, making it necessary to jump on him and take him to the ground (and cover him), to protect him from the gun.

This feels really right to me. It also takes away a little bit from the idea that everything went exactly as Walt planned. It largely did, but when it didn't it was to the benefit of better people.

cAlskV3.gif

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, see to me - that's why I found the finale to be surprising. I figured the show was going to continue with the tone of the last 7 episodes. This episode felt tonally different, and went in a direction I didn't expect.

Like yeah, maybe I knew the ending was going to play out with Walt and the Nazis. But I didn't know they were going to make it more celebratory. I see fans keep saying it was predictable. But I didn't predict that ending (again, the tone/style).

I think it's also because, while Walt took control, he had an acceptance of the things that were out of his control. For example, he wanted Jesse to kill him. He didn't. Jesse was free from his control. Walt was accepting of that, perhaps for the first time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It is accomplished.

And now it's time to throw my cable box into the ocean.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Such a good ending. Everything all wrapped up tightly, most pleasantly, Todd's neck...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am actually surprised by how "standard" that ending was compared to other Breaking Bad finales/episodes. Everything went about as well as expected. Some great shots/scenes though...

I kinda lol'd at Jesus Jesse, the imagery was just too much.

Now I am sad Breaking Bad is over. :(

Basically how I (and I'm sure the critics that are "luke-warm") feel. It was too safe an ending and while it concludes in a satisfactory way... I don't like Jesse getting off scott-free at the end just because Walt had a change of heart. I still feel Jesse should've gotten it for all the shit Walt went through for this last season because of his actions setting things into motion (outside of Hank finding out about Walt but that was shear dumb luck at that point) instead of going to Alaska like Walt asked because he felt bad over the things they did.

inm82num said:
Walt told Skyler that he did everything for him, not family. To me that pretty much encapsulates Walt accepting full responsibility in the pain he caused other people, especially Jesse.

Looking at it that way, it makes sense. For all the shit Jesse gave him over the five seasons, Walt did care about Jesse like a son. "Yeah, sure, Mr. White is gay for me" as Jesse would say. But again: It kinda flies in the face of all the shit Jesse caused after Walt told him "leave, don't come back. Start a new life." All because Jesse felt bad and blamed Walt (rightly so, I should add) for all the things that happened.

smokeymicpot said:
Still a little upset that we never got Jesse in Walts class.

I think we'll probably see a script for that like a "cut scene" that "wasn't filmed" that Vince talked about on Talking Bad.

One thing that is resonating with me is the last scene in particular. I dunno if the music choice fits, but the lyrics of "Baby Blue" in the captions with Walt dead there and panning out... just masterful for me.

I kind of wish they had a little more time to go into these details. After making us wait over a year, they could have shown how he managed to get that M60. It would have been nice to see how he put the Ricin in Lydia's sachet but that would take away the dramatic effect of showing it going into the cup.

Most of all though I wish there had been a little more time for Walt and Jesse. And this is something I felt all through the season. Their relationship was the cornerstone of the show so ending it with little other than a nod to each other felt a bit empty.

Still, great ending to a great show.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

Not really far fetched, imo. Nothing but a motor hooked up to a few parts with the M60 attached on top and a power source.

rekameohs

Banned
Didnt he have it New Hampshire? His plan to come to New Mexico was to force Schwartzs, not kill nazis. So who was the m60 was for originally?

No, he bought the M60 in the Denny's in New Mexico, then he went straight to his house. Do you remember the flash forwards?

I really like closure in tv ever since The
Sopranos
. I feel vince gilligan did a great job although i would have liked to see Walt mix in the ricin, and i know Jesse is in a state of complete despair and hatred toward walt i wanted more than just a simple nod off into the sunset.

Is there a list of nods back to older episodes / references for this episode?

Agreed on the nod, but I don't think there was any other way for it to work really. Neither of them could say anything that the other didn't already know. I feel like saying pretty much anything else would have made the scene worse.

Although the "nothing is happening until YOU say it" was perfect in my mind.

What a great ending to the series.

Mononoke

Banned
Well, Skyler too.

Good point. That makes sense. I really think him saving Jesse was an on the whim thing. I don't think Walt actually planned on living past that moment. So I agree with you completely.

I just want to say how funny I thought it was seeing "#byelydia" on twitter. Seems like I wasn't the only one cheering.

yup, wish she didn't die at home but was buried in the middle of nowhere, so her worst nightmare would come true where her daughter would believe she abandoned her.

demolitio

Wow, now that's how a series ends. None of this "insert fan's ending here" by being ambiguous, but a great closing to an awesome ride. It wasn't unpredictable but I honestly didn't expect it to be this episode considering this is what it was all leading up to anyway and all the hints were there. His plan didn't go perfectly but he got the job done which is what counts.

I'll be honest. This is the first scripted show that ended with me tearing up. Not sure if it's just because it's over or if the story had a part in it too, but this was beautiful.

This feels really right to me. It also takes away a little bit from the idea that everything went exactly as Walt planned. It largely did, but when it didn't it was to the benefit of better people.

Exactly and it was something they talked about in the Talking Bad episode as well about it being "instinct" at that point. He saw Jesse being treated like a slave instead of being a part of it all and that hit him hard and all those feelings he had for Jesse earlier in the show came rushing back and he thought he'd give Jesse the choice to end it the way he wanted to because he knew he was a dead man anyway. He tried to make it right with Jesse for all the shit that went down.

This was the only time I watched Talking Bad but it was worth it.

Top Bottom