• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Mattis freezes transgender policy; allows troops to continue serving

WASHINGTON — Defense Secretary Jim Mattis late Tuesday announced that transgender troops will be allowed to continue serving in the military pending the results of a study by experts.

The announcement follows tweets and an order from President Trump that indicated transgender service members no longer had place in the military, effectively reversing an Obama administration policy. The order also affects the Department of Homeland Security, which houses the Coast Guard.

"Once the panel reports its recommendations and following my consultation with the secretary of Homeland Security, I will provide my advice to the president concerning implementation of his policy direction," Mattis said in the statement. "In the interim, current policy with respect to currently serving members will remain in place."

Mattis' move buys time for the Pentagon to determine how and if it will allow thousands of transgender troops to continue to serve, whether they will receive medical treatment, or how they will be discharged.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ops-continue-serving-pending-study/614711001/

hitme

jryWe.gif

mike6467

Wow.

This should trigger Trump justifying it or declaring he has absolute power that shouldn't be questioned. I wonder which one he'll go with.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Either he thinks he's going to be out soon or Trump is. Either way I don't see them both staying the whole course together.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This is pretty big right? Who else high up in the government has done something like this in response to Trump?

Vibranium

Banned

"OBJECTION!"

Edit: Yeah, it's nothing, so "HOLD IT!" is more appropriate here, given that it's the same policy as was already announced. Basically the only way for the US to stop it is through the next election election. I hope for the best for everyone in the States and LGBTQ community.

shem935

Banned
This doesn't allow new transgender troops to serve still, don't think there is anything mattis can do about that and this is of course still pending the pentagon concluding the internal review mentioned in the first line. Still some good news.

Top Bottom