• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Mattis freezes transgender policy; allows troops to continue serving

Iolo

Some are construing this as Mattis slow-walking the process, but I don't think it can be slow walked for years until a new president takes office. And certainly it puts him in no danger, as in no way is he defying the president's order.

Perhaps Mattis argued for the delay directly to the president behind closed doors, but we just don't know that.

The study will come out and then Trump will do whatever he wants. Truthfully, I don't think Trump cares about this transgender issue at all. It doesn't animate him like racism. This all started because of an imaginary budgetary issue. He just wants to score political points with his base and that will determine the outcome.

Some are construing this as Mattis slow-walking the process, but I don't think it can be slow walked for years until a new president takes office. And certainly it puts him in no danger, as in no way is he defying the president's order.

Perhaps Mattis argued for the delay directly to the president behind closed doors, but we just don't know that.

The study will come out and then Trump will do whatever he wants. Truthfully, I don't think Trump cares about this transgender issue at all. It doesn't animate him like racism. This all started because of an imaginary budgetary issue. He just wants to score political points with his base and that will determine the outcome.

I agree with everything you've posted in this thread, but I also feel like he uses shit like this as a smokescreen to distract from the bad stuff he actually cares about.

"Once the panel reports its recommendations and following my consultation with the secretary of Homeland Security, I will provide my advice to the president concerning implementation of his policy direction," Mattis said in the statement. "In the interim, current policy with respect to currently serving members will remain in place."

Like he'll care.

Cocaloch

Really no need to bash liberals over this.

I mean it deserves at least the same amount of bashing due to any jumping to conclusions without reading a post and trying to understand the context. It's probably worse in this situation since as this is politics the stakes are higher.

Misha

Banned
How is this any different from mattis's decision in June?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...o-allow-transgender-recruits-six-more-months/

JUNE 30
Defense Secretary Jim Mattis has delayed a plan approved by the Obama administration a year ago to begin allowing transgender recruits to join the U.S. military, providing the Joint Chiefs of Staff with a six-month reprieve that they requested, the Pentagon said Friday night.

The decision was made on the eve of a deadline set a year ago by then-Defense Secretary Ash Carter. The services can now delay processing transgender recruits until Jan. 1, following another review of accession plans and providing information about how doing so will affect the military and its lethality, Mattis said in a memo. Details about that review must be provided back to Mattis by Dec. 1.

The recruitment freeze existed before trump's memo. This whole thing has been a ton of non news (ofc trump's memos were hateful but they effectively did nothing)

Gattsu25

Banned
While it's not perfect (it doesn't appear to affect the ban on enlisting new trans troops) it's still better than what I have come to expect out of this administration. Mattis is likely to lose his job over this, too.

giphy.gif

Ebris

Thread title really needs to be changed. Not blaming OP, as that's what the story says, but it's making people think Mattis is rebelling against Trump when it's anything but that.

People misreading "clickbait" titles, why I never?

Yeah, this is noble, but nothing really special either. Mattis is just following order, he still has to serve the president under law.

We're going to lose one of the few sane voices keeping this country from full blown exploding aren't we?

Don't get me wrong, Mattis made the right call, but I really don't want this administration to lose him.

Ponn

Banned
I feel like people are jumping to quick to the conclusion Mattis is rebelling against Trump. I don't see any real indication he is against the ban, just on how to implement it.

edit: The military has had its share of lawsuits in regards to handling civil issues. They are a bit smarter than Trump and knowing they can't just kick a group of people out the door like that. That doesn't mean they don't want to or feel like Trump, they are just the ones that have to handle the actual flack. This screams CYA, not rebellion.

Misha

Banned
People misreading "clickbait" titles, why I never?

Yeah, this is noble, but nothing really special either. Mattis is just following order, he still has to serve the president under law.

Mattis is the source of the order

More links in case people didn't notice

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-transgender-enlistment-delay-20170630-story.html
JUNE 30
Defense Secretary James N. Mattis is giving the military chiefs another six months to conduct a review to determine whether allowing transgender individuals to enlist in the armed services will affect the "readiness or lethality" of the force.
Pentagon spokeswoman Dana White said Mattis made the decision Friday. The delay in allowing the enlistment of new recruits does not affect transgender troops who are already serving openly in the military.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/30/politics/pentagon-transgender-recruits/index.html
JUNE 30
"We will use this additional time to evaluate more carefully the impact of such accessions on readiness and lethality," Defense Secretary Jim Mattis wrote in the memo.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/us/pentagon-delays-transgender-recruits.html?mcubz=3
JUNE 30
A plan to allow transgender recruits to join the United States military beginning on Saturday has been delayed for six months by Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, a Pentagon spokeswoman said on Friday.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40466321
JULY 1
US Defence Secretary James Mattis has approved a six-month delay to an Obama administration plan to let transgender recruits into the US military.

99% of the posts in this thread are in response to the misleading story and not the actual situation where this step is in accordance with Trump's stated plan. We need a thread title update if not locking this entirely.

Trey

The backpedal is impressive. Trump administration has a promising outlook as defensive backs after this, if nothing else.

Didn't the Trump rule already state that those who are currently serving will have their fate decided later by Mattis? Does this affect new recruits? Which is what changed with Trump's rule.

theWB27

I mean it deserves at least the same amount of bashing due to any jumping to conclusions without reading a post and trying to understand the context. It's probably worse in this situation since as this is politics the stakes are higher.

I think even zolo pointed out the article itself is pretty poorly written.

Blizzard

Banned
Think about it this way though. If bad news articles make it SOUND like Mattis is rebelling, Trump is stupid enough that he might believe it and start bad-mouthing him. As far as I know, Mattis is still respected by a good number of military personnel, so that'd be a positive thing overall.

Ponn

Banned
Think about it this way though. If bad news articles make it SOUND like Mattis is rebelling, Trump is stupid enough that he might believe it and start bad-mouthing him. As far as I know, Mattis is still respected by a good number of military personnel, so that'd be a positive thing overall.

I'd rather not be feeding anything into Trumps 'Fake News" grinder. I also am not a fan of people heaping praise and adoration on people that don't deserve it. Nobody in this administration should be let of the hook for the shit that has gone down.

Isn't this freeze just temporary?

Yes, the president ordered the pentagon to 'study the issue' which gives him sufficient latitude to take his time in ordering, overseeing and analyzing the results of the study, so he isn't forced to go through the ranks and disrupt ongoing deployments in a pointless, expensive hunt at the snap of a finger.

He's not disobeying the order, he's just putting it on a slower timetable than Agent Orange is likely to have envisioned because the president is an impatient baby who wants everything now, now now.

Top Bottom