• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Mattis freezes transgender policy; allows troops to continue serving

ZeoVGM

Banned
I feel like a lot of people are misunderstanding what this is.

This is only about those currently serving and we already knew this on Friday. There's nothing "breaking" about this.

Cidd

Trump

aTTWiNN.png

Wasn't this expected? People are freaking out like Mattis straight up defied the order and personally approved the entry of more transgender troops.

KHarvey16

I think the real news here people are finding out about is what is actually in the order Trump signed. Title and OP should probably be adjusted to give a better idea of what's happening.

Mortemis

Banned
The bar has truly gotten low when liberals praise Trump's appointees for executing Trump's policies. A sad day.

The "bar" doesn't exist, everyone is just confused here. I know I am.

The thread title says "allows [transgender] troops to continue serving", did the executive order say that all transgender troops must immediately stop serving or something? I didn't think it did, so this doesn't seem like much at all.

commedieu

Banned
Hmm.

No more transgender people are allowed to sign up. As per the orange cunt.

And his memo said he will leave it up to the pentagon, to decide what's best.

This doesn't change much.

It's insulting that this needs to be studied. As if they are animals.

Transgender troops arent the reason the USA hasn't won a war in.. decade.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Desperate?

He loses all the damn time.

Right. The issue is that this is a literal non-story.

We knew this on Friday, it isn't breaking news. People are replying to the OP's title as if Mattis froze the BAN.

He didn't. This is ONLY in regard to those currently serving and it was known already.

Iolo

The "bar" doesn't exist, everyone is just confused here. I know I am.

The thread title says "allows [transgender] troops to continue serving", did the executive order say that all transgender troops must immediately stop serving or something? I didn't think it did, so this doesn't seem like much at all.

No, the executive order signed Friday says exactly what Mattis did. Stop recruiting, "study" feasibility of ejecting current troops.

The tweet is what demanded all transgender troops could not serve in any capacity, but tweets are not policy. The lawyers backed it off to what was in the executive order.

Mattis isn't "allowing" anything, he's implementing Trump's directive.

Jeez people.

Loudninja

Right. The issue is that this is a literal non-story.

We knew this on Friday, it isn't breaking news. People are replying to the OP's title as if Mattis froze the BAN.

He didn't. This is ONLY in regard to those currently serving and it was known already.
I know already.

theWB27

No, the executive order signed Friday says exactly what Mattis did. Stop recruiting, "study" feasibility of ejecting current troops.

The tweet is what demanded all transgender troops could not serve in any capacity, but tweets are not policy. The lawyers backed it off to what was in the executive order.

Jeez people.

You seem really irritated at people being confused. Thank you for clearing it up, but damn.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
"Well, we still don't want you people here from now on but alright, you may continue to risk your life for us if you ask nicely"

Yay

Thaedolus

On the one hand, fuck Trump.

On the other hand, it's disturbing to see the military and generals calling the shots. Hopefully this doesn't set precedent

Iolo

You seem really irritated at people being confused. Thank you for clearing it up, but damn.

You're goddamn right I'm irritated.

The problem comes from the article itself which has a misleading title (not OP's fault) and doesn't say what actually happened until the very end of the article. It implies at the beginning that it's in direct opposition to Trump's tweet, then way later, says "well actually no".

Trump's order by tweet on July 26 caught the Pentagon by surprise. The tweets said there was no room in the ranks for transgender troops and that the government would no longer pay for their medical treatment.

Marine Gen. Joseph Dunford, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, responded by saying that the Pentagon would not change its policy until it was notified officially by the White House.

The president issued that notification Friday night. It directed Mattis to study the issue and determine how to implement Trump's direction.

To be fair, it is USA Today.

Mortemis

Banned

Jeez people.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah guys, it's not a big deal at all.

Slime

Banned

The problem comes from the article itself which has a misleading title (not OP's fault) and doesn't say what actually happened until the very end of the article. It implies at the beginning that it's in direct opposition to Trump's tweet, then way later, says "well actually no".

well fuck

Should've known better than to expect good news or any noble stands being taken in this realty.

theWB27

And thank you for continued clarity. People were happy because of what may have been misconstrued in the op. Really no need to bash liberals over this.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Pentagon has to follow WH's directive, they can't make their own policy. Yeah, I agree with that poster, the title is misleading.

Well, shit.

I got to that part and someone needs to know how to write a better article. I found that to be confusing.

tbm24

I wish a mod would change the title. The responses of people only reading it are really embarrassing.
I think it's being ignored that Trump gave no real directive for his order other than not allowing in nEw recruits and reassignment surgery, leaving current service members in limbo. For Mattis to say he's leaving the decision up to the conclusion of the study that was already underway is a win given we know how that study is going to conclude.

KHarvey16

I think it's being ignored that Trump gave no real directive for his order other than not allowing in nEw recruits and reassignment surgery, leaving current service members in limbo. For Mattis to say he's leaving the decision up to the conclusion of the study that was already underway is a win given we know how that study is going to conclude.

Nah, the study was called for in the order.

Oh shit! Mattis!

This is why people across isles liked Mattis when he was chosen. One of the few people willing to stand up to Trump.

Edit

Aah maybe my reaction was too quick.

Top Bottom