• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: Mattis freezes transgender policy; allows troops to continue serving

giphy.gif

(except face turn)

I am not sure why people are celebrating? I was under the impression that current military transgender troops were allowed to continue to serve their country, but that they will close the doors to anyone with medical history of transitioning. Please correct if I am wrong.

Zach

I was under the impression something like this was happening anyway. The military just isn't accepting new transgender troops. Something about "deployability" or whatever. I dunno. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, sounds like not bad news, so I'll take it.

I am not sure why people are celebrating? I was under the impression that current military transgender troops were allowed to continue to serve their country, but that they will close the doors to anyone with medical history of transitioning. Please correct if I am wrong.

Ha. Look at that.

Tall4Life

I remember when the Fox News people were marking out about the appointment of Mattis because with a nickname like "Mad Dog" how can you not be a total badass that masturbates over the military

would love to see their reactions now

Betty

Banned
This steals so much of Trumps thunder and undermines him that I love it.

Nobody really respects his ass.

theWB27

The op states it will determine if they are allowed to continue serving.

Wait I thought this ban only applied to new troops. Did Trump really think the military would just kick out all the current serving troops?

Iolo

Exactly right, this is Mattis saying he will implement Trump's policy just as Trump directed on Friday.

I'm not sure why everyone is celebrating or thinking this goes against Trump.

It looks like still no new trans soldiers and Mattis is just using his powers in the executive order to decide if current soldiers can stay or not. He could still boot them out. What am I missing? I don't see any real defiance here. Trump put in the Mattis clause for a reason.

Ourobolus

Banned
Just a reminder that the only adult in the administration is named "Mad Dog."

I'm not sure why everyone is celebrating or thinking this goes against Trump.

It looks like still no new trans soldiers and Mattis is just using his powers in the executive order to decide if current soldiers can stay or not. He could still boot them out. What am I missing? I don't see any real defiance here. Trump put in the Mattis clause for a reason.

If he was going to fall in line, why wouldn't he just follow the policy then?
If he's going to look at experts, he's going to a) buy time and b) find out that it's not a detriment, which he probably already knows.

HotHamBoy

You really don't see how Mattis undercutting Trump on a bullshit, regressive policy is cause for celebration?

This is a huge statement.

I was under the impression something like this was happening anyway. The military just isn't accepting new transgender troops. Something about "deployability" or whatever. I dunno. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, sounds like not bad news, so I'll take it.

Ha. Look at that.

This lets them delay making that decision until whatever study they commission is done, which would take months. In theory, a Pentagon that actually wanted to do this could have implemented it within a much shorter time frame. Basically, this shows that Mattis and/or the Pentagon is willing to drag their feet on it, which is good news for those already in the military.

I'm scared of Mattis doing anything and getting fired. Guy is crazy, but the most sane person in the white house. That article said it best, "Only adult left in the white house named Mad Dog." But Mad Dog is the only thing stopping the US from bombing NK ;(

Iolo

This is literally what Trump asked for on Friday during the news dump. Wow, Mattis is such a maverick following Trump's dictates to the letter.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/trump-transgender-military/index.html

President Donald Trump on Friday directed the military not to move forward with an Obama-era plan that would have allowed transgender individuals to be recruited into the armed forces, following through on his intentions announced a month earlier to ban transgender people from serving.

The presidential memorandum also bans the Department of Defense from using its resources to provide medical treatment regimens for transgender individuals currently serving in the military.
Trump also directed the departments of Defense and Homeland Security "to determine how to address transgender individuals currently serving based on military effectiveness and lethality, unitary cohesion, budgetary constraints, applicable law, and all factors that may be relevant," the White House official said.

Iksenpets

Banned
Isn't this freeze just temporary?

Well, pending review by experts, which is almost guaranteed to come back saying that terminating them would be a terrible idea. Trump's order was worded ambiguously enough on this point that Mattis really has leeway to delay this infinitely if he wants. The only things Mattis is really stuck with are no longer accepting new trans recruits, and not paying for reassignment surgeries (other hormone therapies and trans medical needs are still allowed)

Iolo

The bar has truly gotten low when liberals praise Trump's appointees for executing Trump's policies. A sad day.

mike6467

legacyzero

Banned
Let's play "who is the next Trump Cabinet member to "resign.""

🔘 Sessions
🔘 Mattis
🔘 Tillerson

It may be against his recommendation, though.

If Trump wanted them out, he just would have done it. People probably told him it would look bad to toss out active soldiers, so they're waiting.

I really don't see anything very positive here other than current soldiers nnot immediately getting the boot. Trump still gets his way.

Effnine

OP's link wasn't working for me. Here's another direct link:

Edit: Damn, direct links don't work to USA Today? Sorry, just gotta go to USA Today site and see it on the front.

Top Bottom