• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

Detox

Joystiq say they played it on a retail account for 12 hours the guy on Voodoo Extreme is calling them out because the achievements they have, can be earned in a couple of hours. Also does this "Campaign, Freeplay and Challenge" mean they didn't play multiplayer apart from the event? If Bethesda didn't let them play online with retail copies because of no servers then they deserve the negative reviews. If they only gave journalists the opportunity to really play the offline modes 12 hours is fair amount of time for me that would be unbearable.

fake edit: The guy on ve3d is complaining that he never saw the joystiq guy play online after a two hour media event. He says other reviewers played online beyond that event and their review scores reflect that.

None of this would've been seen however if the reviewers failed to take the time to level up, explore tactics, and play with others instead of bots. I managed to play with some writers beyond the initial media event, and for the most part they've given Brink scores in the 7-8 range. There are others though that I never ran into again after the two hour media event, whatever that means.

I just don't think Bethesda have handled the PR for this game well at all, taking down videos, streams and not unlocking PC review copies early, surely Steam has this feature. I kind of feel sorry for SD especially considering their main playerbase is on the PC and the PC centric sites aren't reviewing it because they have just unlocked the game.

EDIT: PC Stream

mxgt said:
Been watching a PC stream with an actual good player for about an hour and it totally sold me on the game.

Can't wait until Friday.

I'd like to hear some PC specific reviews from people who have played a lot of ET and QW.

I'm totally not surprised the console reviewers that typically play CoD FPS games are not digging it.

DeanoCalver

Splash Damage
Spookie said:
I've read reviewers been receiving retail discs since Friday.
They did and also at several selected times over the weekend, some of the devs (also with review retail disks) went online from home and played so there would be some people to play with.
I got a few hours in on those sessions but haven't had time to play much since, hence my low gamer score on it (DeanoC if you want to look) at the moment.

neoism

derFeef said:
There is a command for the sprint FOV

pm_sprintfov ###

so set it the same as g_FOV ###

edit: it seems to be a network var though, SD forums say it will get fixed in a patch.
holy shit you can fix the retarded head-bob on PC version? I was looking forward to this game . But When I watched a bunch vids, the head-bob made be sick.

bounchfx said:
don't get me wrong.. I enjoyed the game a LOT at PAX, but I'm going to wait to see if bethesda/splashd is planning to fix some of these issues. If they plan on supporting the game (not with bullshit fucking map packs, but with fixes and upgrades like TF2), then I'll gladly buy it and support them.
Maps is the ONLY thing I care about once these wrinkles are ironed out, not paid maps mind you, but free ones, good ones, even community maps (SDK supposedly on the way). That's how you keep a game like this alive, don't mess up the core gameplay like TF2 did. If you're going to sell anything, sell skins and shit like that.

And I wouldn't be too worried about the game not being fixed (on PC) at some time. We've already seen that they're actively doing all they can to fix stuff, and the boys at SD stay with their product for as long as they can. Why, the final patch for ET:QW (1.5) was paid for by Splash Damage out of their own pocket after Activision cut the funding. They won't just leave it.
neoism said:
holy shit you can fix the retarded head-bob on PC version? I was looking forward to this game . But When I watched a bunch vids, the head-bob made be sick.
You can turn it off, PC and console.

So tell me about the Engineer's turrets. Has anyone managed to level up far enough to play around with them yet? I understand the L1 turret is weaksauce; what about the two upgrades?

LOL A single PC version review on Amazon, 5/5. I imagine this is totally NOT anyone related to the developers

The game firstly, will NOT work on an ATI based graphics card. I can repeat, that 95% of everybody that operates on an ATI card has been confirmed to have massive framerate issues regardless of CPU and GPU power.

And the 11.5a hotfix is confirmed by me and several others as not working and framerate issues remain the same.

So please keep this is mind that if you are an ATI user you will not be able to enjoy BRINK currently until patches are issued, yes even if you have a 6850 with an i7 processor you are going to be lagging.

On to the game, it's everything I've expected and more. The gameplay can be described as arcade with several realistic aspects but mostly an arcade shooter with strong weapon system. There are several ways to play, in fact, a whole lot of ways to play. This is where the game shines and I want to stress that this is no where near Call of Duty or Halo in terms of just being able to pick a gun. You have several sets and picks that the gun will be just a drop in the bucket.

The SMART, is a system that allows fluid movements over terrain without any user input. It's incredibly smooth and does exactly what it intends, others have said that it doesn't work, I have to wonder how this can possibly be. The SMART system let's you climb, jump, slide, just by using your mind. It feels all too good to be true like the game is reading my mind, I feel like this is what the developers wanted and it appears to me this is what they have got.

General feel. The game feels sturdy and well built on a mouse and keyboard, it almost feels like this is what it was meant to be played on and I can't imagine a console port coming in to challenge. Everything moves like you would normally in any other game, there is no aiming issues and no issues using the SMART system at all. It has my choice over controller.

Overall polish. I really want to say the game is polished, I do, but it really isn't. It feels like there could be several improvements to AI and to the animations, along with the obvious framerate problems I said above. If I could be given the option to be able to refund and wait for the game to mature, I might just taken it.

Wrap up. The game is tremendous and is a great showing of what future gaming should grasp, it's an absolute amazing piece of work in every way, while I can't say the game is so amazing as to compete with the dogs like Bungie, it can certainly provide an alternative to those seeking.

Challenges played fine/smooth for me... first MP game had rubber banding all over the place

Not a fan at all.

Here are two screenshots I took, didn't tweak any settings at all. 2560x1600

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667893186901/9D8B9D14B733C25855576DE35C2C4BB921FA95A8/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/595810667893184457/0B3FBEA40FA7FE289E24EC19113CF8A8CEAB3A52/

And imgur links for anyone at a workplace that blocks steam screenshots

http://i.imgur.com/cYx4m.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tvZo4.jpg

Another thing I hate about it is the unskippable intros.

So did anyone else get a faulty product code from direct2drive? They of course haven't answered my customer service ticket I sent in, so as of right now d2d just stole my money.

All the negativity about the game and the fear it won't even work properly on my pc if I ever do get a working key doesn't help matters

cleveridea said:
LOL A single PC version review on Amazon, 5/5. I imagine this is totally NOT anyone related to the developers

Given that he slanders the console versions I don't think it is. Judging by his writing ability I'd say there'd be a good chance of him being hired for video games journalism if it wasn't for the fact that he chose the PC version!
robotzombie said:
So did anyone else get a faulty product code from direct2drive? They of course haven't answered my customer service ticket I sent in, so as of right now d2d just stole my money.

All the negativity about the game and the fear it won't even work properly on my pc if I ever do get a working key doesn't help matters
Assuming you got it from co.uk:
Attention Direct2Drive UK BRINK Buyers:

We are aware of an issue with using your key if located outside the UK. We are working with Bethesda to resolve this. There is still plenty of time to download and get ready for May 13th!
They'll fix it and it looks like they'll honor their fuckup by fixing proper keys for the ones affected (they took my old one down). If you look at the Brink page now though they're flashing the fact that it's UK-only pretty heavily.

Danne-Danger said:
Given that he slanders the console versions I don't think it is. Judging by his writing ability I'd say there'd be a good chance of him being hired for video games journalism if it wasn't for the fact that he chose the PC version!

Assuming you got it from co.uk:

They'll fix it and it looks like they'll honor their fuckup by fixing proper keys for the ones affected (they took my old one down). If you look at the Brink page now though they're flashing the fact that it's UK-only pretty heavily.

No, I'm actually in the US. They gave me a key that says its already in use by another steam user. Is there any way to check if I accidentally bought off the UK site?

Edit: I did use that 10% off code that was being passed around earlier, could that have been some kind of UK only thing?

desu

So D2D changed the UK keys to EU and DE keys now? Oh and they added a nice extra 13 pound on the price as well with that ...

I really hope this is a one time thing, otherwise D2D just died for European people.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
So is the campaign essentially a bunch of Killzone 3 Operations missions stiched together? Basically, MP matches with players names and models thrown into some cutscenes?

I don't mind the MP focus but eight maps is kinda lean as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
So...I got FRAPS installed again and played around with the settings.

In Challenge mode (singleplayer) I was getting 50fps with AO, and 200 with it off. However, 200fps felt like a locked 30 to me.

But then, I went to play on a multiplayer server. I was getting 80-90fps (which is still abysmal considering my specs), and it actually felt perfectly smooth...it did not feel like a locked 30fps like in singleplayer.

For reference, my specs:

i5 2500K @ 4.8GHz
2x GTX 570
8GB RAM
Windows 7 64-bit

Besides performance issues, the game is very underwhelming. Despite saying the game is objective based, it really doesn't feel like it. So far, I can capture command posts, and defend a prisoner. The game just devolves into everyone on my team just camping the prisoner for 20 minutes. Incredibly boring.

Riposte

Joystiq actually gave it a 2/5, which should basically be a 60 in Metacritic land. Minor shit like this bothers me about how review systems clash.

TheExodu5

Banned
derFeef said:
Maybe the FPS drop in singleplayer is coming from the AI and the multicore rendering not working how it should.

I think the AI has something to do with it. When I hosted my own server yesterday (with a few bots), it felt like a locked 30fps, yet again.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Riposte said:
Joystiq actually gave it a 2/5, which should basically be a 60 in Metacritic land. Minor shit like this bothers me about how review systems clash.
I'm pretty sure they just use math--where 3/5 = 60 and 2/5 = 40.

classicdms

Neo Member
Mooreberg said:
I don't mind the MP focus but eight maps is kinda lean as well.
TF2 launched with 6 maps.

While I don't expect Splash Damage to drop another 25 maps over 4 years, I figure 5 more before the end of the year is within reason.

They need to kill the narrative thing with the maps. I wouldn't mind a CTF or CP variant if they can figure out how to make it mechanically fit in with the rest of the game.

CyReN

So how are people enjoying it? I know the reviews aren't the greatest but people LOVED Shadowrun and that game got iffy reviews also.

Waiting for my Amazon copy to arrive, still not sure what to do..

Firebrand

Huh, now I don't even have a product key on my D2D account, there's nothing but a download link on the "Download" page. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
classicdms said:
TF2 launched with 6 maps.

While I don't expect Splash Damage to drop another 25 maps over 4 years, I figure 5 more before the end of the year is within reason.

They need to kill the narrative thing with the maps. I wouldn't mind a CTF or CP variant if they can figure out how to make it mechanically fit in with the rest of the game.

I seriously doubt a Bethesda published game is going to get free maps like a Valve game does. And I wonder if the audience is going to be large enough to handle a split.

taoofjord

I've played a good bit now, though still only with a lobby full of bots and a few humans. I know it'll be better when I actually get into a game with all humans but I'm thinking that this just isn't a game for me. It is mostly just Team Fortress 2 with some ET mechanics mixed in and more of a focus on teamwork but it doesn't really do anything all that well. So far playing Brink just makes me want to turn on Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, or Section 8 Prejudice to scratch the itch that Brink isn't doing yet.

Kahoona

Is anybody else experiencing a bug in multiplayer where the sound on certain maps suddenly disappears? You can still hear certain ambient sounds, but the running foot steps and weapon sounds are all gone.

Firebrand

Kahoona said:
Is anybody else experiencing a bug in multiplayer where the sound on certain levels suddenly disappears? You can still hear certain ambient sounds, but the running foot steps and weapon sounds are all gone.

Yeah, it's a common issue apparantely.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
If anyone is interested in a 360 copy for $45, please shoot me a PM.

I love the customizations but damn at the console lag.

Mr_Brit

Banned
For the people getting this at launch, why? This game is getting horrible reviews, shipped in a broken state, has tons of technical problems on PC and will likely tank at retail ensuring that you won't get more than a month of full servers. Why not wait a few weeks and pick it up for $30 instead? What you're doing by buying this game at launch is rewarding lazy devs for shipping a knowingly broken product.

Mr_Brit said:
For the people getting this at launch, why? This game is getting horrible reviews, shipped in a broken state, has tons of technical problems on PC and will likely tank at retail ensuring that you won't get more than a month of full servers. Why not wait a few weeks and pick it up for $30 instead? What you're doing by buying this game at launch is rewarding lazy devs for shipping a knowingly broken product.

Because we have no self control and are slaves to the hype machine.

Mr_Brit said:
Most of them probably had it pre-ordered and don't really care what the reviewers said.

KaYotiX

Banned
Mr_Brit said:

Becasue i got it for $30 anyways with discounts and amazon credit. Also, Shadowrun got horribl reviews and i loved the shit out of that game too

Mr_Brit

Banned
Sarcasm said:
What Bethseda game is not buggy (at launch)?
This game has nothing to do with the Bethesda devs at all. Zenimax gave these people more than enough time to bring out a competent game and yet they've utterly failed to deliver anything approaching that. I'm not sure what their relationship with Splash Damage is but you can be sure that this is the last game that Zenimax will be funding for these guys.

Volcynika

Mr_Brit said:

I preordered it, and thought it would be a cool/fun game. Turns out I was right. :eek:

robotzombie said:
No, I'm actually in the US. They gave me a key that says its already in use by another steam user. Is there any way to check if I accidentally bought off the UK site?

Edit: I did use that 10% off code that was being passed around earlier, could that have been some kind of UK only thing?
That sounds like a separate issue, pester them until they fix it!

desu said:
So D2D changed the UK keys to EU and DE keys now? Oh and they added a nice extra 13 pound on the price as well with that ...

I really hope this is a one time thing, otherwise D2D just died for European people.
Well they do have a site dedicated to EU, I thought it was weird that they'd sell Brink to EU countries from the UK site, but they fucked up so that's what happened. Seeing this:
"We are aware of an issue with using your key if located outside the UK."
and the changes they've made to the Brink page (Brink UK, WILL NOT WORK OUTSIDE UK) tells me so, and that they're intending to honor it. But hey I got the nicest price I've seen on the web so it's a minor inconvenience if they can sort it out.
Firebrand said:
Huh, now I don't even have a product key on my D2D account, there's nothing but a download link on the "Download" page. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer.
We're all still waiting for new keys, they took mine down as well. Note though that it says "Brink EU" on the download page, I don't think that was the case before, I see it as a good sign!

Taborcarn

If people are going to be so swayed by reviews as the immediately return their pre-orders, why bother pre-ordering in the first place?

I've got it waiting to be picked up at the store, but I'm still looking forward to the Machinima Respawn crew's impressions. Their livestream on ustream should start at 12PM PST
http://www.ustream.tv/machinima

taoofjord said:
I've played a good bit now, though still only with a lobby full of bots and a few humans. I know it'll be better when I actually get into a game with all humans but I'm thinking that this just isn't a game for me. It is mostly just Team Fortress 2 with some ET mechanics mixed in and more of a focus on teamwork but it doesn't really do anything all that well. So far playing Brink just makes me want to turn on Team Fortress 2, Battlefield Bad Company 2, or Section 8 Prejudice to scratch the itch that Brink isn't doing yet.

Pretty much this. The objectives just aren't that interesting either and I'm really not a fan of the combat model at all. The guns sound fantastic though.

Detox

Reviewers generally have no clue about multiplayer games just look at some of Giantbomb's videos or read some reviews regarding the multiplayer component of a game. In Brink's case we just have to wait and see how the community develops, I'm not sure how it will pan out on consoles but it has got a chance on PC.

Personally I'm waiting on the PC version for a month as I currently got exams. If people are still playing and impressions are good I will buy it.

Top Bottom