• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brink |OT| _/^\_

jtrov

Just got home and I'm about to hop online. Anyone wanna start a game up? (Xbox 360)

EDIT: Heh, everytime I try to join a game via Brink GAF tag, I get booted because of my rank. :(

Geoff9920

Pandora, or anyone else that would know, I can direct connect to the US GAF server but it doesn't display on the server list. I manually added the IP address to my Steam Favorites, but it disappears from my favorites after only showing up briefly. Any idea what's going on?

Teknoman

Geoff9920 said:
Pandora, or anyone else that would know, I can direct connect to the US GAF server but it doesn't display on the server list. I manually added the IP address to my Steam Favorites, but it disappears from my favorites after only showing up briefly. Any idea what's going on?

Happens to me, but it seemed to stay after awhile. I'd think there would be room for spectators.

Sanic

Geoff9920 said:

I'm not sure what's going on, but i've noticed that the server won't always appear in the server browser. I don't think it's anything i've done or not done; It's probably something with Steam.

Maybe someone else can chime in?

I had alot of fun all day. I like the game. I cannot understand is there something up with the servers though? Why are we in games with two real people on one team , two or three on the other and the rest are bots? The player population cannot be that low.

Pandoracell said:
I'm not sure what's going on, but i've noticed that the server won't always appear in the server browser. I don't think it's anything i've done or not done; It's probably something with Steam.

Maybe someone else can chime in?
Yeah it's not showing up on the list anymore or in my history. It was earlier today, though.

zlatko

Banned
I'll hopefully be getting some PC time tomorrow, but are you guys saying some graphics cards just plain won't work for this game?

I have a ATI 5870, and I'd be sad if it didn't work with that.

My 360 experience today was super smooth, but I had like I said one friend with a weird audio glitch and he got d/ced. I had one super slide show laggy game, and I had another buddy who was lagging inside of a game where me and a few friends were going smooth.

Not sure what causes this stuff, but I think since I host most of my games on 360 is why I haven't encountered it. I'll try tomorrow to just join other peoples games to see what the results are.

Teknoman

Grayman said:
my boss asked me if I was using a 260gtx as my physics card

Heh, it was a person from the Brink.TV stream chat. A few of us brought up the ATI texture line problem, and someone just popped up saying buy a new card :p

zlatko said:
I'll hopefully be getting some PC time tomorrow, but are you guys saying some graphics cards just plain won't work for this game?

I have a ATI 5870, and I'd be sad if it didn't work with that.

My 360 experience today was super smooth, but I had like I said one friend with a weird audio glitch and he got d/ced. I had one super slide show laggy game, and I had another buddy who was lagging inside of a game where me and a few friends were going smooth.

Not sure what causes this stuff, but I think since I host most of my games on 360 is why I haven't encountered it. I'll try tomorrow to just join other peoples games to see what the results are.

Nah they work, its just that some ATI cards are having performance issues or a strange texture line glitch.

Klocker

started with some horrible laggy games and now played 2 hours straight of some pretty intense action... really enjoying it so far... fun and different. Nice that some players are really figuring it out... also I set my rank or higher on the game search settings and started getting good games.

360 ver

Tokubetsu

KaYotiX said:
360 version, so far i really like the game. I dont really get all the hate from the reviews.

It's not Call of Duty and need at least another month of polish. I WANT TO BE RID OF THIS FUCKING GRID AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEM! ='(

That said, just had a great game on container city as light engineer. Stayed with the bot most of the round and didn't die, kept it up. Then at the end some light medic grabbed the sample and we both parkour'd our way the fuck out of there with me watching his back. we completely dropped in some guy, killed him and just kept running. He never saw us coming.

Concept17

fuzzyreactor said:
for ppl with ati cards: disable shadows in the console. was getting like 22-30 fps now im getting around 45-60 average

Quoting for truth. And while it does help, there are certainly some memory leaks going on that need to be fixed.

ATI Artifacts (can basically see all the polys on the map)
ATI frame rate issues
General latency issues
Memory leaks

If these 4 things are cleared up this game will be perfect for me. I've managed to play a handful of games so far, and when its not lagging too hard, the game is an absolute blast and really comes together.

Why are people hating on this game so much? I'm playing on PC and it is incredibly fun. Great feel to the guns, fast and fluid running/climbing, very addictive leveling up and excellent customization, and great graphics.

If I can just get a few of my friends to get it, this is going to be fantastic LAN material

Played for a couple hours and only had one really laggy game (360).

As a multiplayer and single player game I'm enjoying it more than any other multiplayer focused game this gen.

Even with the technical problems it's a solid game. I'm sure they'll patch it up and it will run great.

Hopefully it will keep a community.

just rented the ps3 version out of curiosity and wow, the game is so much smoother and looks good too. however the recoil is nearly non existent which ruins the game for me.

Teknoman

Concept17 said:
Quoting for truth. And while it does help, there are certainly some memory leaks going on that need to be fixed.

ATI Artifacts (can basically see all the polys on the map)
ATI frame rate issues
General latency issues
Memory leaks

If these 4 things are cleared up this game will be perfect for me. I've managed to play a handful of games so far, and when its not lagging too hard, the game is an absolute blast and really comes together.

This.

Ken

Aside from a few laggy games, I'm having a lot of fun. Hopefully they'll patch in a traditional party/lobby system sometime in the future.

One thing I'm not liking is the abilities. A lot of them seem really uninteresting (like going into third person while capturing a command post) and there aren't that many abilities anyway.

Okay can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to achieve the two star Be Objective challenge with a team of bots, specifically how it is even possible to complete the Operative section. The Soldier and Engineer sections I have down pat but as an Operative I can't make it anywhere near the device you're supposed to hack, I can't even get a disguise, my bot teammates are no help whatsoever. I can't kill the security bots by myself fast enough and plant a hacking device and the bots are useless. I try to play with 3 other people but the matchmaking never finds anyone so it defaults me to playing with useless bots.

Twig

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Okay can someone explain to me how I'm supposed to achieve the two star Be Objective challenge with a team of bots, specifically how it is even possible to complete the Operative section. The Soldier and Engineer sections I have down pat but as an Operative I can't make it anywhere near the device you're supposed to hack, I can't even get a disguise, my bot teammates are no help whatsoever. I can't kill the security bots by myself fast enough and plant a hacking device and the bots are useless. I try to play with 3 other people but the matchmaking never finds anyone so it defaults me to playing with useless bots.
You can't unlock the rewards unless you do it solo.

I eventually won through sheer luck. My bot teammates were, yes, completely fucking worthless. It feels like enemies shoot at you exclusively, and yet friendlies just fucking meander about the place until I'm already dead. Even if they shoot someone, it's not the guys who are doing the most damage. So awful.

Jinaar

Just did Day 3 - Save the Ark with 2 friends on Campaign. Was a blast!

I think most problems I have with the game will resolve themselves after I wrap my head around things better for team work and level up.

No lag issues.

Easy creation. Was alot of fun!

Ken

jaundicejuice said:
Try to use SMART to get up the levels quickly to try to outrun the AI.

KiKaL

Decided to check the game out. Initially I just wanted to go back to TF2..but then after some more time it started to grow on me. I love being able to run and slide over to some and heal them.

I'm playing on PC and so far it runs great except for I have had the bug where the sound cuts out and I have had a hard time with latency. Once the bugs get fixed I think this will be a really fun game.

zlatko

Banned
I predicted Gametrailers would give this game a 7.9 and I was right. ;D

I watched the video reviews from IGN and from GT. I read some of Gamespots as well. I think I'm most inclined to agree with most of the points brought up with Gametrailers. They seemed to hit all the main points and addressed the issues at hand rather well.

This game will definitely have an audience, but it's not going to win over Call of Duty Joe's. The best comparison I can make in terms of quality with this game is probably Borderlands in a lot of ways.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rented this.

Wow, the default autoaim is absolutely ridiculous in this. My character literally did a 180 after it locked onto someone. Next step was turning that garbage off.

zlatko said:
The best comparison I can make in terms of quality with this game is probably Borderlands in a lot of ways.
For God's sake, why do you compare it with Borderlands? They're not even close to be in ANY sort of similarity.

zlatko

Banned
The_Player said:
For God's sake, why do you compare it with Borderlands? They're not even close to be in ANY sort of similarity.

In terms of quality. It's right there in the fucking sentence man.

Both to me were a bit rough around the edge gems, that although aren't going to be amazing games for a mass appeal, will find a lot of love in the right players hands.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
jaundicejuice said:

I have no idea how to consistenly do this. If you take too long on the operative part it literally seems impossible, the bots just all group up to block you. Just try to immediatly jump off the back after you repair the objective, switch to operative quickly, then start hacking. If you get shot at, just keep hacking. You'll probably die but should have time to respawn, just try to run over so you can keep hacking, even if you basically suicide run at it you can get some good progress with how fast it goes.

Sometimes the bots just leave it there, which makes it easy. Other times they actually remove your hackbox which then gets nearly impossible. I then can't complete the next part where you need to retrieve and bring it to the objective, I get to the top with it and everyone is there, dying means they retrieve it and I need to get it back.

RS4-

jaundicejuice said:

You have to wait for team mates, you can't do it solo lol. The enemies just pile on and kill you with ridiculous aim (when they're shooting at you) and by sheer numbers.

Papercuts said:
I then can't complete the next part where you need to retrieve and bring it to the objective, I get to the top with it and everyone is there, dying means they retrieve it and I need to get it back.

Right by the command point, there's a box you can climb up, then another that leads to the drop down section with the brief case. Then, leave through the new door and go back up the boxes (instead of taking the stairs) where you initially dropped down and work your way up to the drop off box.

X-Frame

I don't know if this is just me, but when I am lagging bad I'll check the scoreboard and I am the only person with the ping in Red, everyone else is in Green.

This is every game where I am lagging horribly, like teleporting and shit.

Does that mean it is just me that is lagging or does Brink not show when others are lagging (i.e. they always show green?)

alr1ghtstart said:
Rented this.

Wow, the default autoaim is absolutely ridiculous in this. My character literally did a 180 after it locked onto someone. Next step was turning that garbage off.
wait what? I've gotten no autoaim whatsoever

zlatko

Banned
X-Frame said:
I don't know if this is just me, but when I am lagging bad I'll check the scoreboard and I am the only person with the ping in Red, everyone else is in Green.

This is every game where I am lagging horribly, like teleporting and shit.

Does that mean it is just me that is lagging or does Brink not show when others are lagging (i.e. they always show green?)

The one game where I was lagging there was a total of 3 of us in red, and the rest were green.

So it definitely shows when a connection is ass and isn't.

Also, to the auto aim thing I turn mine off in every FPS I play to not run into any issues with it. If it's cumbersome just turn it off. :)

X-Frame

zlatko said:
The one game where I was lagging there was a total of 3 of us in red, and the rest were green.

So it definitely shows when a connection is ass and isn't.

That is very odd .. I wonder why I would be the only one lagging.

Is my connection good?

1290649195.png

zlatko said:
In terms of quality. It's right there in the fucking sentence man.

Both to me were a bit rough around the edge gems, that although aren't going to be amazing games for a mass appeal, will find a lot of love in the right players hands.
Yeah but for the most part Borderlands was actually playable.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
the games online play is so atrocious in terms of lag i cannot believe they had the balls to release it like this.

out of the ~30 different matches I was in tonight, maybe 5 were tolerable in terms of lag.

zlatko

Banned
HELLA_MONEYZ said:
Yeah but for the most part Borderlands was actually playable.

I'm one of the lucky ones who isn't having these issues others are online. Same for my friends.

What's the word from Splash Damage on patch plans and a time frame to release it ?

@X-Frame
Your connection looks rock solid. You aren't the only one having weird connection issues. It seems to be some problem on the games end that will need a patch to fix.

My only advice is if you get in a game that is laggy then just quit out and find a new one. As far as I can see there is no penalty for quitting.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I played the first mission and the first challenge and I have to say: this game is disappointing. It's a good game until now no doubt but I guess it's my fault for overhyping it this much. I thought it'd be the revolution of shooters and it'd redefine the multiplayer shooter. I was so, so, so off.

The shooting is clunky in a way and the aiming doesn't feel fluid. The movement is good since SMART helps you move around but once again; I expected something more. Story is barely there and isn't good at all. Multiplayer hasn't been played yet but I'll get to that soon. 7/10 until now I guess?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dr Eggman said:
I played the first mission and the first challenge and I have to say: this game is disappointing. It's a good game until now no doubt but I guess it's my fault for overhyping it this much. I thought it'd be the revolution of shooters and it'd redefine the multiplayer shooter. I was so, so, so off.

The shooting is clunky in a way and the aiming doesn't feel fluid. The movement is good since SMART helps you move around but once again; I expected something more. Story is barely there and isn't good at all. Multiplayer hasn't been played yet but I'll get to that soon. 7/10 until now I guess?

You thought it would redefine the multiplayer shooter and are judging it without playing multi yet? :p

Twig

Banned
The_Player said:
Oh you so sure? Was Borderlands this unplayable at the day 1?
Brink is unplayable? Huh. I wonder what I was doing.

thezerofire said:
on 360 yeah. I haven't noticed any magnetism at all
Then I wonder if maybe he was talking about the upgrades you can give your teammates. If you do that as you're running past, it will turn you around.

Top Bottom