• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool is a strong word. Hulk was awesome though.

You mean, "HULK SMASH, wait what's this complex plan you're all talking about, let me listen in, wait I mean, HULK SMASH".

Avengers was a terrible movie, it was - action scene, lame story, big set piece, lame story, HULK SMASH, action scene, RDJ makes a funny, set piece.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
You mean, "HULK SMASH, wait what's this complex plan you're all talking about, let me listen in, wait I mean, HULK SMASH".

Avengers was a terrible movie, it was - action scene, lame story, big set piece, lame story, HULK SMASH, action scene, RDJ makes a funny, set piece.

If you go in expecting something more than an excuse for action scenes out the arse you went to the wrong film. Action was enjoyable and that's enough for this kind of film.

I am surprised at the money it made though.

I honestly can't wait for Guardians. The Abnett/Lanning run of Cosmic Marvel is classic stuff. I never, in a million years, expected it to be a movie. The casting hasn't wowed me so far (not really keen on Batista, would have preferred Jason Momoa for Drax) but the real litmus test is Rocket Raccoon.

If you go in expecting something more than an excuse for action scenes out the arse you went to the wrong film. Action was enjoyable and that's enough for this kind of film.

I am surprised at the money it made though.

Joss Whedon was better than that. He used to be anyway. Firefly. :*(

I'm not surprised at the money it made though, movie going audiences are getting stupider. I'm certain of it. Even on a discerning place like GAF there were enough cheerleaders so I can't imagine what the average consumer is like.

Just got my tax bill for last year. Not too bad, I saved more than I needed to (even though I totally forgot about student loans, oopsie) so it's all good. Finally I can empty that goddamn account and scoop up the remains to dump into my California fund, woop woop.

f0rk

Avengers was awesome sorry if that makes me stupid.
I'd rather have a superhero that knows what it is than more Nolan.

"I didn't like it ergo anyone that did is stupid" = automatic dick status

I honestly can't wait for Guardians. The Abnett/Lanning run of Cosmic Marvel is classic stuff. I never, in a million years, expected it to be a movie. The casting hasn't wowed me so far (not really keen on Batista, would have preferred Jason Momoa for Drax) but the real litmus test is Rocket Raccoon.

Bautista is whatever- anyone who gets skittish about wrestlers in movies hasn't seen They Live, even if Dave is no Roddy Pipe- but they cast Michael Rooker as a blue alien with a red mohawk. Oh, and Bert Macklin FBI as the team leader.

That movie is alright by me in the casting department so far. Hope they ask Greg Ellis to bring his Rocket Raccoon voice to the big screen.

Joss Whedon was better than that. He used to be anyway. Firefly. :*(

I'm not surprised at the money it made though, movie going audiences are getting stupider. I'm certain of it. Even on a discerning place like GAF there were enough cheerleaders so I can't imagine what the average consumer is like.

Firefly is grossly overrated, and that's coming from a Browncoat. It never had the chance to go five seasons, for the cast to get bored and people to leave and for the series to run out of steam.

I'll admit I'm biased when it comes to the Avengers. I own all the UK reprints from Marvel heroes Reborn through Avengers United and Avengers Unconquered (I switched to digital not long after the end of Unconquered, but if I'd stopped it would have been a nice place to leave it). Seeing the franchise grow over the last ten years to seven ongoings and a billion dollar movie has brought a little joy to my soul.

SKINNER!

Banned
Firefly & Serenity > Avengers but I got nothing against Avengers. Didn't exactly go in expecting some Malick Thin Red Line shit so I was pleased with it. Just a plain straight forward action flick. If anything, I think Avengers is grossly overrated.

Firefly & Serenity > Avengers but I got nothing against Avengers. Didn't exactly go in expecting some Malick Thin Red Line shit so I was pleased with it. Just a plain straight forward action flick. If anything, I think Avengers is grossly overrated.

I think it's become a torchbearer. Everybody has that cancelled show (for me it's probably Journeyman, although it's been years since i've seen it) that they want to come back. Look at the Veronica Mars (a great show too) Kickstarter.

The cast of Firefly have done pretty well out of it. I still get a kick out of seeing them in other stuff (Adam Baldwin in Injustice for example, "Time to kick my ass!").

A fund so you can exclusively eat California rolls for every meal in future. Smart!

Oh no no, that would run out. It either needs to be totally sustainable (ie I get an 800% salary increase) or I blow it all on California rolls on the May Day bank holiday weekend. I know which I'm choosing...

SKINNER!

Banned
I think it's become a torchbearer. Everybody has that cancelled show (for me it's probably Journeyman, although it's been years since i've seen it) that they want to come back. Look at the Veronica Mars (a great show too) Kickstarter.

The cast of Firefly have done pretty well out of it. I still get a kick out of seeing them in other stuff (Adam Baldwin in Injustice for example, "Time to kick my ass!").

Are fans actually pushing for Firefly to come back? They managed to get a movie in the days before Kickstarter existed. It got its deserved ending. They should just let it go. The only show I'd like to see brought back from the dead is Darkplace. At least one more 6 episode second season...please :(

Oh no no, that would run out. It either needs to be totally sustainable (ie I get an 800% salary increase) or I blow it all on California rolls on the May Day bank holiday weekend. I know which I'm choosing...

Hehe, I know I was just...

Oh frig.

I just realised that it's half ten at night, I'm in bristol, and I have no way of getting some of them sweet California rolls.

And now I'm crying.

If you're ever near Farringdon station there is an awesome sushi place right outside the tube station called Mugen which does some fiiiine California rolls.

Hehe, I know I was just...

Oh frig.

I just realised that it's half ten at night, I'm in bristol, and I have no way of getting some of them sweet California rolls.

And now I'm crying.

If you're ever near Farringdon station there is an awesome sushi place right outside the tube station called Mugen which does some fiiiine California rolls.

I literally live 3 minutes away from there! I've never actually been in, though... It always looked like a bit of a ghetto in there.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Are fans actually pushing for Firefly to come back? They managed to get a movie in the days before Kickstarter existed. It got it's deserved ending. They should just let it go. The only show I'd like to see being brought back from the dead is Darkplace. At least one more 6 episode second season...please :(

I love Darkplace but its been a long time, I'd be afraid they wouldn't be able to match the original.

Brooker section about internet detectives was quality

Never figured why Lauren Laverne is on that show but I would

Thought it hit its peak at Charlie Brooker's section. The debate part was awful thanks to that woman and then it just petered out. Agree about Lauren Laverne, she's a milf.

Ghetto? If you mean 'busy', busy is good in these places!

Seriously, you should try it. If it's not changed since ~May 2012, I guarantee you'll come back.

Edit: Ghetto?? j/k

I dunno, it just kinda looks like someone that did up a japanese place and then forgot to turn up for work for 2 years. Admittedly, I was always the other side of Farringdon road at my old work (up on Hatton Garden) and now I'm at Barbican, so I never actually used to go past it at lunch time, only in the mornings and evenings when - obviously - it's dead.

SKINNER!

Banned
I liked Avengers.

Buffy was better than Firefly.

Ph6Ei.gif

I dunno, it just kinda looks like someone that did up a japanese place and then forgot to turn up for work for 2 years. Admittedly, I was always the other side of Farringdon road at my old work (up on Hatton Garden) and now I'm at Barbican, so I never actually used to go past it at lunch time, only in the mornings and evenings when - obviously - it's dead.

I'll admit, your observations are pretty much correct. I only stumbled upon it as it was close to my lectures at Charterhouse Square. But man, after one visit I was hooked (and I say this as a Northerner in London, who had an almost genetic predisposition against anything exceeding the Tesco meal deal in expense). Anyway, that's all the eulogising I can muster.

I liked Avengers.

Buffy was better than Firefly.

My gf got me a bunch of Marvel superhero movies on Blu-ray for our anniversary a couple of days ago - SM1, SM2, TASM, X-Men, X2, X-Men First Class, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, The Avengers, Blade 1/2/3. Of all those movies the only Marvel Studios one worth watching to me was Iron Man, the best was SM2, then X2 and X-Men First Class. I also love Blade, but it doesn't have the same style as the others.

I love Buffy, but seriously Musha? Better than Firefly.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Gotta go to my stupid job programme thing tomorrow.

There's a really cute girl who I think started working there recently.

Gonna try flirt like an idiot. Wish me luck!

CHEEZMO™;55334920 said:
Gotta go to my stupid job programme thing tomorrow.

There's a really cute girl who I think started working there recently.

Tell them you know donkey show.

SteveWD40

Yes, much better. Maybe because Firefly didn't run long enough to properly explore the characters. I like Firefly but feel it is over hyped. Buffy is probably my fave tv show of all time.

I agree, Buffy ran too long though, should have ended at Season 5 (maybe 6 at a push), but when it was good, it was excellent. Season 3 was amazing and although S4 had a terrible overarching plot it had some of the best stand alone's (Hush for example).

S4 was also a sort of prequel to Cabin in the Woods...

SKINNER!

Banned
CHEEZMO™;55334920 said:

[...] dude wont even invite me to a real party smh

Flirt like a boss! Remember, tell her about your celeb status on neogaf and then throw in an invite to Wagamama.

ha, at least you knew that donkey was hosting a party. He never even told me let alone pass me an invite :_(

Went to bed at 1.30am and got up at 7am. Jacked myself up with 4 cups of coffee and a banana. Gonna fuck this presentation up son!!

I agree, Buffy ran too long though, should have ended at Season 5 (maybe 6 at a push), but when it was good, it was excellent. Season 3 was amazing and although S4 had a terrible overarching plot it had some of the best stand alone's (Hush for example).

S4 was also a sort of prequel to Cabin in the Woods...

But, but... if there had been no season 6 there would have been no Once More With Feeling!

I don't know, I though S4 and S5 were pretty poor, and actually S6 and S7 were a return to form and much better (stand alone episodes like Hush aside because I agree that was excellent)

SteveWD40

But, but... if there had been no season 6 there would have been no Once More With Feeling!

I don't know, I though S4 and S5 were pretty poor, and actually S6 and S7 were a return to form and much better (stand alone episodes like Hush aside because I agree that was excellent)

True, that opening number is amazing.

I didn't like 5 either, the whole Glory thing was crap, but The Body was one of the best episodes of TV ever and it just felt like a natural ending. I was never a fan of the "army of slayers" thing either, First Evil was a nice idea though that they didn't pay enough attention to in S2 iirc.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
True, that opening number is amazing.

I didn't like 5 either, the whole Glory thing was crap, but The Body was one of the best episodes of TV ever and it just felt like a natural ending. I was never a fan of the "army of slayers" thing either, First Evil was a nice idea though that they didn't pay enough attention to in S2 iirc.

I think killing Buffy's mum was the worst thing to happen to that show. It broke everything for a whole season, maybe even more. And then killing Buff and bringing her back all morose.... Depressed Buffy - not that interesting. Magicaholic Willow - not that interesting. Fucking Dawn - really not that interesting. The only saving grace of season 6 was the Xander/Anya stuff and the big bads with the nerds getting their due.

I did really like season 7 though, so I may not be the best judge of quality.

SKINNER!

Banned
I only watched random episodes of Buffy when it used to be on BBC2. It was alright. Never understood why everyone went nuts about it. Which reminds me, friday night telly back in the late 90s was f'ing magic. 6pm to late it was mostly...

*Switch on to BBC2*

mWWivAg.jpg

The Simpsons then Malcolm in the Middle or Fresh Prince followed by Buffy and Farscape.

*flick over to C4*

nQ4Aezz.jpg

Friends followed by South Park and then Trigger Happy TV or Spaced.

*flick back to BBC2*

Red Dwarf

*flick back to C4*

Eurotrash

Suairyu

Banned
I try to revisit Buffy, but season 1 is so poorly made and cheesy with all its synth music and bad acting that it's hard to get beyond it and I quit. Angel is much more comfortable to re-watch as Whedon and co. had already developed their style by then.

Love the movie, though! One of the few intentionally bad films that pulls off being enjoyable.

I only watched random episodes of Buffy when it used to be on BBC2. It was alright. Never understood why everyone went nuts about it. Which reminds me, friday night telly back in the late 90s was f'ing magic. 6pm to late it was mostly...

*Switch on to BBC2*

mWWivAg.jpg

The Simpsons then Malcolm in the Middle or Fresh Prince followed by Buffy and Farscape.

*flick over to C4*

nQ4Aezz.jpg

Friends followed by South Park and then Trigger Happy TV or Spaced.

*flick back to BBC2*

Red Dwarf

*flick back to C4*

Eurotrash
That genuinely was a good time to be watching TV.

I think South Park back then was funnier, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom