• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suairyu

Banned
in what sense do you mean powerful
You ever fired the double-barreled shotgun in Doom II? It just feels better than guns from other games. More powerful, even if compared to a bazooka or something.

That's generally what people mean by "guns feel powerful". It's a hard thing to describe.

Mikeside

There's a kick behind them. The recoil feels good and solid - they have some weight to them and when bullets hit enemies react well. There's also a nice meaty, bassy sound to them which I think a LOT of games lack.

Jordan

There's a kick behind them - they have some weight to them and when bullets hit enemies react well. There's also a nice meaty, bassy sound to them which I think a LOT of games lack.

Personally, I think in EVERY game where guns are involved, if you get a headshot kill - you should have an announcement by Doug ... "BOOM! Headshot!"

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
I wasn't trying to be funny :'(

So, I feel like we're talking shit.

How is everybody today? Looking forward to the weekend? Got much planned? :)
Line clean this morning, i was up at 5am due to hayfever and I am very upset about this, i punched my duvet in rage
You ever fired the double-barreled shotgun in Doom II? It just feels better than guns from other games. More powerful, even if compared to a bazooka or something.

That's generally what people mean by "guns feel powerful". It's a hard thing to describe.

.....Just to clarify I was asking whether he was talking about powerful as in, u shoot dem n dey kill peeps or in the sense that when you play the last of us, you really feel how they are portrayed is powerful.
When you aim a gun at enemies sometimes in this game there are instances where they scream/plead before you pull the trigger, and it is the only game I have genuinely felt like I am killing/murdering someone, and when you blow their fucking face off with a shotgun for the first time, it's shocking, literally shocking.

Even when you get shot it's pretty devastating at how you get knocked off your feet. I think it's the first game I've seen that actually shows the less arcadey side to guns, you aren't carrying 20 mags around at all times, you can get faced up against 15 enemies and have a revolver with 3 bullets, no other choice but to improvise, leave the gun out of it.

That wasn't the case in this instance, which is kinda annoying because I thought it would be worth the mention

SO MR KNOW-IT-ALL, I'm going to assume you havent played it and therefore didnt really need to interject in that condescending manner

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You should ask HaloGAF if they recommend Halo 4

omg fuck HaloGAF, bunch of obsessive compulsive lunatics who play a single series obsessively for a decade and get progressively bitchier with each installment.

Anyway, great news about the xbone, but you know all the Sony teat-suckers are going to go on and on about teraflops like they know what they're talking about now instead of repeating 'anti-consumer' like a mantra while they pray to Kaz gifs. I really hope the conversation shifts over the coming months to being about the actual games.

NinjaBoiX

...anyway, what you fellas up to today?
Work bud. :/ Catching up on GoT tonight though, eventually!
omg fuck HaloGAF, bunch of obsessive compulsive lunatics who play a single series obsessively for a decade and get progressively bitchier with each installment.
Yep, this is why I advised Mike to ignore f0rk's suggestion to ask HaloGAF. Why? Because their opinion counts more than ours? Fuck that jazz.

Also, what was the confusion with "the weapons feel powerful" Tash? That description is almost an explanation of itself!

Rubbish King

I'm taking it easy over the weekend, totally fucked the INSAAAANITY WORKOUT by all this drinking and smoking, really need to get back into it so I'm going to just detox over the weekend and get back on it starting monday, NO MORE RELAPSE

I'm TIREEED of being a chubby mofo

Anyway, great news about the xbone, but you know all the Sony teat-suckers are going to go on and on about teraflops like they know what they're talking about now instead of repeating 'anti-consumer' like a mantra while they pray to Kaz gifs. I really hope the conversation shifts over the coming months to being about the actual games.

tumblr_ll77ps8OwY1qgfngno1_500.gif

Rubbish King

Also, what was the confusion with "the weapons feel powerful" Tash? That description is almost an explanation of itself!

Example:

You can say an image is powerful, you can also say a Nuclear Bomb is powerful

Two completely separate meanings using the same word.

Sleep deprivation must be doing something to my brain, because to me, it's really not that fucking complicated!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Don't you always play in the same band?

Erm, no? I think this is my fourth band in a decade. This band I'm in now is only a year old. And a creative endevour isn't exactly the same as spending 1000+ hours on each game of a series and then wondering why you're getting tired of it.

NinjaBoiX

Example:

You can say an image is powerful, you can also say a Nuclear Bomb is powerful

Two completely separate meanings using the same word.

Sleep deprivation must be doing something to my brain, because to me, it's really not that fucking complicated!
Woah Tash! Take some deep breaths bud, you just snapped at Suairyu for no apparent reason. We're all friends here dude.

I dunno, it just seemed fairly self-explanatory.

*shrugs*

Suairyu

Banned
Congratulations, I think you just made the world's thinnest argument.
It was certainly the world's weakest bait.

And a creative endevour isn't exactly the same as spending 1000+ hours on each game of a series and then wondering why you're getting tired of it.
Agreed, I was being confrontational BECAUSE

because your rage is taking me back a little, you know? The vitriol you hold! (I love it)

But seriously, some people just love to do the same thing over and over, to perfect it. Fighting game community is the same. If a game is well made, no two matches will be the same, anyway.

I'd say it's the same for people who play Football, Tennis, Boxing etc. etc. all the time as their only sport. Even the same activity can provide enough variety, and there is a joy that comes with feeling you have progressed at a singular activity.

You can't get 'better' at Animal Crossing so that doesn't count.

Suairyu

Banned
Kinda felt that way, bro
Sorry if I came off that way.

But Chinner has the right of it: there was no condescending intent. I wanted an excuse to get misty eyed about the Doom II shotgun. Also, I can think of no better explanation for "the guns feel powerful/great/fucking right" than id games.

Rubbish King

Sorry if I came off that way.

But Chinner has the right of it: there was no condescending intent. I wanted an excuse to get misty eyed about the Doom II shotgun. Also, I can think of no better explanation for "the guns feel powerful/great/fucking right" than id games.

I kinda felt like you were explaining to me what powerful means

I am 19 years old

I know the definition, I knew what I was talking about, I'm super fucking cranky and this means I'm snappy as fuck.

I'm sorry

The point was I asked Mike a direct question and two people who havent actually played the fucking game answered it for him, this annoyed me, I can't really explain any reasoning behind it, it just did

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It was certainly the world's weakest bait.

Agreed, I was being confrontational BECAUSE

because your rage is taking me back a little, you know? The vitriol you hold! (I love it)

But seriously, some people just love to do the same thing over and over, to perfect it. Fighting game community is the same. If a game is well made, no two matches will be the same, anyway.

I'd say it's the same for people who play Football, Tennis, Boxing etc. etc. all the time as their only sport. Even the same activity can provide enough variety, and there is a joy that comes with feeling you have progressed at a singular activity.

You can't get 'better' at Animal Crossing so that doesn't count.

I get you, but I still think the practice of single minded repetition is in itself unhealthy (for videogames specifically, which aren't the same as sports or music which can be intrinsically beneficial to health etc), and I don't really credit those guys with any real applicable insight. It's like - yes, if you play a shitload of Halo you know all about weapon spreads and reload times and all that jazz. But to a 'casual' (and by casual I mean play multi for about three months before moving onto other games) player it means very little. And so the hardcore get upset that a few variables have changed and that's all the online conversation becomes. "it's not the same as it was!" To players like myself who just like to jump in every year for the franchise fix before going on with our lives it's meaningless.

I had a great time with H4, both in SP and multi. Loved the new additions and CoDifying of the multi, thought it made for a much more enjoyable experience, especially when soloing (so a game wasn't wasted if my team was a bunch of idiots, I still got XP and could make out well). And it still had that five-shot-kill floaty bouncy sticky grenade Halo feel.

I think that the hardcore are their own breed with their own specific interests and needs. But they're armchair designers in the same infuriating way that Gaming Side are now all armchair hardware engineers and the community becomes toxic as it dawns on them that the devs aren't really listening to them as much as they'd like.

And my rage is mostly because it's early. I get less rageful as the day goes on. But I will say Fuck HaloGAF at any point of the day :p

It's a console launch, the games are going to be shit. Kaz gifs and GDDR5 are all they have, XB1 fans aren't even afforded that because mattrick has the charisma of a leper.

NinjaBoiX

I think we should bring back "visceral" Tash.

"The weapons feel visceral".

I never had a problem with that word, but I remember about two years ago, people were whinging about it, saying it's misused. It really isn't, it's an incredibly apt description for a game depicting things relating to viscera, ie: most video games.

Games, particularly violent games, often appeal to our base instincts, at the behest of intellect. This is exactly what visceral means.

It got overused, but it was rarely misused.

Rubbish King

Guys, is the term/question "Did you smash her?" a normal thing or is it native to pompey, I only ask because every locals that knows I left with the blonde that night has asked it in this particular way

I think we should bring back "visceral" Tash.

"The weapons feel visceral".

I never had a problem with that word, but I remember about two years ago, people were whinging about it, saying it's misused. It really isn't, it's an incredibly apt description for a game depicting things relating to viscera, ie: most video games.

Games, particularly violent games, often appeal to our base instincts, at the behest of intellect. This is exactly what visceral means.

It got overused, but it was rarely misused.

This is a great idea

If you were Hayley Williams I'd kiss you right now

even if you hadnt brought that idea to the table

Chinner

Banned
The point was I asked Mike a direct question and two people who havent actually played the fucking game answered it for him, this annoyed me, I can't really explain any reasoning behind it, it just did
It's a forum, every discussion we have is open for others to comment and post on. They only wanted to help and have a discussion as it's an interesting topic.

Vortex566

Where do you live: Birmingham
Where are you from: Birmingham
University: Wolverhampton
Favourite Sport: Football
Political party of choice: Labour
Favourite thing on the box: Supernatural
Favourite crisp flavour: Worcester Sauce
Favourite biscuit: Figroll
Favourite Pokemon POST 151: Jigglypuff.
Beano or Dandy: Neither

NinjaBoiX

Welcome Vortex!

Good luck Tash. See you later on buddy.

Edit: *reads above mag front page*

"100% true"

Oh, OK then, I needed convincing, thanks.

Jordan

Where do you live: Birmingham
Where are you from: Birmingham
University: Wolverhampton
Favourite Sport: Football
Political party of choice: Labour
Favourite thing on the box: Supernatural
Favourite crisp flavour: Worcester Sauce
Favourite biscuit: Figroll
Favourite Pokemon POST 151: Jigglypuff.
Beano or Dandy: Neither

Jigglypuff was awesome. I worked with teachers for about 5 years, I don't envy you at all. How do you find teaching? Are the kids complete arseholes wherever you teach?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Keepin' it real. I particularly like the little 'Evil' label, and the mention of an exploding sausage.

I don't know what makes me sadder about these magazines - that publishers have such a low opinion of women and their intelligence, or the women who actually buy them. Aim higher ladies ffs!

SteveWD40

I don't know what makes me sadder about these magazines - that publishers have such a low opinion of women and their intelligence, or the women who actually buy them. Aim higher ladies ffs!

It's pretty depressing, the fact they think that being "real" means airing your shit in public and being a vapid fame obsessed chav who doesn't know how to behave in public.

Vortex566

Jigglypuff was awesome. I worked with teachers for about 5 years, I don't envy you at all. How do you find teaching? Are the kids complete arseholes wherever you teach?

Teaching is new to me, but I've worked in a school for over 5 years, so I'm pretty good with dealing with students. I'm just very sarcastic and dry with them.

Jigglypuff is indeed a great Pokemon!

Morning, all.

Been perusing the Xbox DRM shitstorm on the main board. This tug of war between fanboys is hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks MS's u-turn is a bit embarrassing? I also find the contingent of Xbox fanboys who suddenly think the Xbox will "win" because of this are hilarious.

Vortex566

Morning, all.

Been perusing the Xbox DRM shitstorm on the main board. This tug of war between fanboys is hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks MS's u-turn is a bit embarrassing? I also find the contingent of Xbox fanboys who suddenly think the Xbox will "win" because of this are hilarious.

Yes, but fanboys have always been like this! I still think the PS4 will do better next gen, but the DRM u-turn will make a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom