• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT3| It's good, but it's not right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Morning, all.

Been perusing the Xbox DRM shitstorm on the main board. This tug of war between fanboys is hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks MS's u-turn is a bit embarrassing? I also find the contingent of Xbox fanboys who suddenly think the Xbox will "win" because of this are hilarious.

Hey, at least they listened, right? Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Apparently my boss is making me a 'surprise' and it will show how 'crazy' he is. I think that he might be smearing my name in his own shit across the walls. At least, that was the first thing to come into my head.

I'm sure it probably has something to do with filing though, much less zany.

NinjaBoiX

Hey, at least they listened, right? Kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't.
I looked at gaming side yesterday, and there was about 6 threads rejoicing MS's decision.

Then there was one solitary thread along the lines of "wahwah, we can't share games with 10 people anymore, wahwah". Jesus, so entitled.

As you say, dammed if you do, dammed if you don't.

Edit: your boss bought you these Jed:

glWNkKJ.jpg

TCRS

Banned
They made the right decision, but my mind is set, I'm buying a PS4. All my friends are buying one, it's cheaper and more powerful. Good enough reasons for me. But the Xbox 180 has suddenly become attractive I have to say. Might buy it three, four years into the next gen.

Hystzen

Morning, all.

Been perusing the Xbox DRM shitstorm on the main board. This tug of war between fanboys is hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks MS's u-turn is a bit embarrassing? I also find the contingent of Xbox fanboys who suddenly think the Xbox will "win" because of this are hilarious.

no it is pretty embarrassing all the arrogance MS had leading up and past E3 that they done nothing wrong and time spent defending decisions all just thrown away. They noticed pre order drops then quickly changed mind because MS love that money and having DRM only gave them more money from publishers which is nothing compared to customers.

They really had no reason to remove it the mainstream public would have bought it anyway but to me doesnt change fact we know MS what this DRM shit badly they 180'ed this time but who knows what happen down the line

SmokyDave

I want an PS4, the missus wants an Xbone, everyone's a winner.

Single console owners (though not all of them) do my fucking head in. You can tell when someone has to defend or downplay aspects of a console simply because it is or isn't their console of choice. It's painful to read sometimes, reminds me of being 12 and refusing to admit that the SNES was awesome because I owned a Megadrive.

That said, I'm seriously thinking about selling my Wii-U. It's an inoffensive paperweight at the moment, but I can tell that its very existence under my TV is going to wind me up as the generation goes along. I have no idea why I buy Nintendo systems, my compulsive hardware purchasing needs to stop. I'd probably buy a fucking 3DO 2 if they made one :(

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I want an PS4, the missus wants an Xbone, everyone's a winner.

Single console owners (though not all of them) do my fucking head in. You can tell when someone has to defend or downplay aspects of a console simply because it is or isn't their console of choice. It's painful to read sometimes, reminds me of being 12 and refusing to admit that the SNES was awesome because I owned a Megadrive.

That said, I'm seriously thinking about selling my Wii-U. It's an inoffensive paperweight at the moment, but I can tell that its very existence under my TV is going to wind me up as the generation goes along. I have no idea why I buy Nintendo systems, my compulsive hardware purchasing needs to stop. I'd probably buy a fucking 3DO 2 if they made one :(

The Megadrivel was shit tho

no it is pretty embarrassing all the arrogance MS had leading up and past E3 that they done nothing wrong and time spent defending decisions all just thrown away. They noticed pre order drops then quickly changed mind because MS love that money and having DRM only gave them more money from publishers which is nothing compared to customers.

They really had no reason to remove it the mainstream public would have bought it anyway but to me doesnt change fact we know MS what this DRM shit badly they 180'ed this time but who knows what happen down the line

Their arrogance was astonishing. Echoes of Sony in E3 05/06 - but in some ways Mattrick's smug face was worse! That unconnected gamers should buy a 360 comment was ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree, at least they're listening.

I was going to get an XBONE anyway, just not at launch. The DRM thing wouldn't even really affect me, it was more making a stand.

DAMN. I'm skint. Would definitely buy a Wii U for that.

SKINNER!

Banned
I don't understand the hype for Titanfall. Seems like a pretty generic shooter with huge robots.

Looked great during the first 2 mins of the gameplay trailer with all the mech stuff. Reminded me of this PC game I used to play when I was a kid.

and then the trailer started showing COD/GEARS-esque FPS footage and I was all like zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Consider me apoplectic with rage.

You do not say that shit in a Brit thread.

Even BGBW would never dare.

Blame Future Publishing, TOTAL! magazine had a big impact on me as a kid. lol not enuff buttons or colours for SF2.

Mario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sonic

The only good thing the MD had was Flashback and we got a better looking port. Get outta here with your blast processing nonsense. We had MODE 7 mothafuckas!!

Dat hardware design.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
You do not say that shit in a Brit thread.

Even BGBW would never dare.
Why would I. I was going to get a Mega Drive before I played Super Mario World and a Link to a Past at a friends house and decided to get a SNES instead for Christmas.

Despite that I could still borrow and play on another friend's Mega Drive whenever I wished so I did play quite a few games back then.

Then everyone (bar me) got N64 so game evenings became GoldenEye nights.

Hasney

Blame Future Publishing, TOTAL! magazine had a big impact on me as a kid. lol not enuff buttons or colours for SF2.

Mario >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sonic

The only good thing the MD had was Flashback and we got a better looking port. Get outta here with your blast processing nonsense. We had MODE 7 mothafuckas!!

Dat hardware design.

And the Amiga shits on your console peasant versions of Flashback.

tumblr_mde5awWBdc1r1gapro1_400.gif

SmokyDave

I can't handle shit-talking the Megadrive, even if SoR2 is getting some of the credit it's due.

Do you people have no souls?

(Also, the Amiga doesn't count. Back then it was 'Commodore + Console' just as now it's 'PC + Console').

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I had an Atari 520 ST with a bad port of Space Harrier. Since I knew nothing of the game I thought that I was breaking the game by using the mouse because I could make my character fly in the air.

Hasney

hahahaha Amiga. How did you enjoy your Zool?

I'm not sure I can hear you over the theme song of Monkey Island 2 (and the disc gnawing sounds of disc swapping between 12 damn floppies)

I had an Atari 520 ST with a bad port of Space Harrier. Since I knew nothing of the game I thought that I was breaking the game by using the mouse because I could make my character fly in the air.

My dad broke a joystick over the C64 version of Space Harrier. I'm not entirely sure what happened, but it was "bullshit".

NinjaBoiX

I can't handle shit-talking the Megadrive, even if SoR2 is getting some of the credit it's due.

Do you people have no souls?
Don't get me wrong, I love SoR as a kid, but it's aged badly IMO.

"Right, I'll kick this dude in first. Wait, no, I'm not connecting. I better shuffle down a few more pixels. There you go, now my repetitive three frame punch animation is now making the dude die and flicker out of existence. Yay."

I dunno, it just feels incredibly lame and archaic to try and play it now.

SmokyDave

I shit you not, I used to listen to the sound test while I cleaned the flat. The whole soundtrack is a fucking masterpiece.

I still have a copy and play it at least two or three times a year. Problem is that although I have a legit English SoR2*, my Megadrive is a Hong Kong model with hard-wired Scart cable so the game comes up as 'Bare Knuckle 2' instead. Clever shit, but I miss the proper title screen.

*(my original '93 copy no less, in box with manual!)

"Right, I'll kick this dude in first. Wait, no, I'm not connecting. I better shuffle down a few more pixels. There you go, now my repetitive three frame punch animation is now making the dude die and flicker out of existence. Yay."

I can't comment objectively because I never stopped playing it. I think it plays perfectly and has never been surpassed by any other side-scroller, but I can imagine how it might seem ancient and janky to some.

SteveWD40

I shit you not, I used to listen to the sound test while I cleaned the flat. The whole soundtrack is a fucking masterpiece.

I still have a copy and play it at least two or three times a year. Problem is that although I have a legit English SoR2*, my Megadrive is a Hong Kong model with hard-wired Scart cable so the game comes up as 'Bare Knuckle 2' instead. Clever shit, but I miss the proper title screen.

*(my original '93 copy no less, in box with manual!)

I used to play the soundtest when I was 12 over and over while wistfully staring out over Stockport imagining cleaning up the streets in my wife beater and Converse high tops.

Hasney

Finished the XBLA version twice, still love the game in multiplayer.

First one still has a soft spot in my heart too for the fucking BAZOOKA POLICEMAN. Yeah, they just drive up and go FUCK IT and napalm the entire fucking existence of enemies. Bar bosses, which shrug it off.

And EVERY TIME forgetting what button does what after boot up and firing that bazooka on the first screen before any enemies even show up. Also, the throw noise. "huuURRRR"

SKINNER!

Banned

Side-scrollin' beat 'em ups never get old. Fuckin' Golden Axe, TMNT, SoR, Final Fight. Repetitive? yeah, I guess. Fun and addictive? Ridiculously

Did anyone play the Mega Drive ultimate collection on 360 or PS3? It was awesome as the trophies/achievements drove you to play every game, but not get really far or anything (except for Mean Bean Machine!). I got 1000 points AND a platinum trophy.

Anyway, love the MegaDrive. Thinking about it, I got a new one in like... 1997? 98? Weird.

NinjaBoiX

I'm sorry guys, I used to clock SoR 1 with my brother every night after tea for months. I was the biggest fan. I'm not saying it doesn't still have its charm, it's incredibly endearing. I just tried to play it again the other month, all excited, and I just couldn't get into it.

Sorry SoR, it's not you, it's me.

In other news, Corinne Bailey Rae is back. As a big fan of artists like Lianne la Havas and Martina Topley-Bird, this is excellent news for me, love this girl's voice, so sweet, but surprisingly powerful:

I'd Do It All Again (live)

I just saw a full live set on Mtv last night, wow! She'd start a note as this tiny little sound, then build it to a full on croon, before swagging it out with some funky little licks and vocal noodling, so good. She always looks like she having so much fun with it too, awesome girl.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if i'll be buying any of the consoles at launch, I need to see a confirmed launch line up. That being said, I paid £425 for a PS3 at launch and have no intentions of spending that kind of money on just the console again. PS4 is looking more likely at the minute.

And Dave should totally give away his WiiU to somebody in this thread, preferably me. Definitely me.

NinjaBoiX

if i was in the uk i'd probably get the ps4 at launch, but will wait later next year.
I'm waiting till next year for my PS4, mainly to avoid potential teething problems, but also to let the library fill itself out a bit.

And to finally get through my back catalogue.

Hystzen

Good see that new footage of Watch_Dogs proves it is just Asscreed reskin and poorly optimised framerate like other AAAAAAA Ubisoft games at moment

Always seen a lot of AC in Watch_Dogs, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's different in many ways too. I personally can't wait for it.

Why would it be "good to see"?

SmokyDave

And Dave should totally give away his WiiU to somebody in this thread, preferably me. Definitely me.

Dave should sell it and use the money to buy some sexy wheels for his mountain bike. Of course, if you've got a pair of black Hope disc brake hubs laced to some decent rims lying around, I'd happily swap.

Bargin bin material this early in its cycle lol
That's where it belongs. The hardware felt like a step backwards after owning a PS3, never mind comparing it to the next gen machines.

Mikeside

Its a vehicle for Nintendo games, as I see it. It might not compete with other consoles but I won't get to play Mario Kart or Smash Bros on my PS4 so its worth it for me

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
The surprise my boss was talking about this morning was a vintage Mechano set from the 1920s that he's been collecting. Actually very cool, we just made a truck that's now sitting on my desk.

Sometimes working at a private school is AWESOME.

NinjaBoiX

The surprise my boss was talking about this morning was a vintage Mechano set from the 1920s that he's been collecting. Actually very cool, we just made a truck that's now sitting on my desk.

Sometimes working at a private school is AWESOME.
Mechano!

The smart man's Lego, loved that shit.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Dave should sell it and use the money to buy some sexy wheels for his mountain bike. Of course, if you've got a pair of black Hope disc brake hubs laced to some decent rims lying around, I'd happily swap.

That's where it belongs. The hardware felt like a step backwards after owning a PS3, never mind comparing it to the next gen machines.

If I had them I'd give them to you in an instant. Isn't that enough for you dave?

Hopefully yesterday's MS shenanigans leads to Sony showing off a couple more first party titles soon. Last Guardian, HINT HINT!

Good see that new footage of Watch_Dogs proves it is just Asscreed reskin and poorly optimised framerate like other AAAAAAA Ubisoft games at moment

Big let down.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Few disciplines and a few more investigations pending at work. Why can't i just behave myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom