• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

UKIP may end up slightly refashioning themselves now, being the most frustrated by FPTP so they may pick up the mantle of electoral reform pusher as the Lib Dems attempted previously. I mean, the better part of 4 million people voted for them and they barely managed 1 seat. Oddly they also complained on behalf of the Greens.

Dumping Nigel might give them the opportunity to clean up their image and having Suzanne Evans (polite and affable, wrote their manifesto and hasn't had any major fuck ups) or Douglas Carswell (experience as an MP in a respectable party, stiff backed but sensible, now UKIP's only actual MP) take leadership could help smooth over the party's reputation. It was all a bit too easy to link Farage with his pints and guffawing to the scandals. The flip side of that is that UKIP might seemingly lose the "they're all the same but we're not" thing where they get to be politically incorrect because that's wot real people fink, common sense etc.

Or they may just fade into obscurity.

Maybe Kilroy will come back.

I can't see them going with anyone other than Farage if he stands for the leadership, he was actually doing a decent job of making them appear respectable in the face of mental new outbursts by his colleagues every other day*. It's got to have been the hardest job in politics trying to keep that party above water. Obviously anyone with half a brain could see through the "we're not racist" charade fairly easily, but I think that was the point. The charade enabled him to do politics while still covertly appealing to four million racists - he was acting very astutely really.

*I still laugh every time I think about that video of Rozanne Duncan.

Maybe Kilroy will come back.

I can't see them going with anyone other than Farage if he stands for the leadership, he was actually doing a decent job of making them appear respectable in the face of mental new outbursts by his colleagues every other day*. It's got to have been the hardest job in politics trying to keep that party above water. Obviously anyone with half a brain could see through the "we're not racist" charade fairly easily, but I think that was the point. The charade enabled him to do politics while still covertly appealing to four million racists - he was acting very astutely really.

*I still laugh every time I think about that video of Rozanne Duncan.

I wouldn't have said every single person who voted UKIP in the GE was racist but I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise. With Farage, I do get the impression he's just flat out knackered. Managing an electoral campaign would be trying stuff for any party leader but as you say he had to be constantly jumping around trying to deflect media attention away from the outbursts of the amateurs. So he'll probably appreciate the time off to be honest. If his party is truly clueless without him then he may re emerge to stop them collapsing but I think he might just get wheeled out at the odd party conference from now on. He did have such a cult of personality though that a lot of people wouldn't be able to name another UKIP politician, including a lot of the voters I suspect. We'll see. I might seem obsessively interested but it's fun to speculate.

I wouldn't have said every single person who voted UKIP in the GE was racist but I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise.

Yeah, I'm being deliberately unfair as I'm sure they have some genuine supporters who just agree with their "normal" policies, the ones that aren't about kicking all the immigrants out ASAP and building a giant wall between us and France and selling the NHS.

They're just not the people who tend to appear in the comments on the Daily Mail website or on Facebook, that seems to be reserved for the lunatics. I wouldn't be surprised if my mum voted UKIP to be honest, I'm too scared to ask, I don't want to know.

NinjaBoiX

I just tried to watch Spring Breakers, I lasted half an hour. My god what a try-hard yet utterly inept pile of excessive, masturbatory bullshit. It's just all so EXTREME and EDGY and SEXY that I couldn't stop cringing. It's like it was pitched by 15 year olds and funded by Nuts magazine.

"Woah man, they're like, smoking pot, swearing really implausibly, making finger pistols at each other and talking about how wet their pussies are!"

Never has a one star rating on Netflix been so well earned.

Not gonna lie though, that Hudgens...man she fine.

I think I'll just watch some more Better Call Saul instead. It's so good!

From what I hear it only gets worse ninj. I made some excuse when I was invited to go see it, so glad I did.

There was probably a thread about this but tell me britgaf, what's the worst movie you've paid to see?

Qasiel

From what I hear it only gets worse ninj. I made some excuse when I was invited to go see it, so glad I did.

There was probably a thread about this but tell me britgaf, what's the worst movie you've paid to see?

The Pact. Awful, awful film out in 2012 with Caity Lotz (of Arrow fame) and Casper Van Dien. Watched it with the Mrs on a whim (it looked like it was going to be a fun ghost story but it wasn't) and it's now become the benchmark for every bad movie we see together.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Welcome new person !

Probably Bratz: The Movie although it was funny.

Hystzen

Godzilla, Episode 2 attack of clones, Harry Potter chamber secrets, spiderman 3 (also that was a date ) and Lotr return king are all films I fallen asleep so guess them. I tend not go cinema unless film I really want to see

NinjaBoiX

I picked up Destiny on the cheap today, just played the first mission and got to the Tower for the first time. It's fun! More fun than I remember from the beta. The production values are through the roof too, it's clearly been lavished with money.

Like I said before, it feels like a faster, more weighty Halo, no bad thing. The Sparrow is a blast to scoot about on, the melee feels punchy and the shooting is excellent as you'd expect.

Dinkle-Bot's voice acting is less shit than I remember too.

*thumbs up*

NinjaBoiX

I got it for £19, the lack of content might not sting so bad for me. Will probably get the expansions on sale if I still dig it then.
Well put. It's a lot of fun, the raids are great but you take a step back and think what the fuck were they working on for all that time?
Sky boxes.

The sky boxes man...I've hit the screenshot button like five times already. Handsome fucking game.

The music is fly too.

If Bungie can do anything right it's sky boxes and music.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Still playing and enjoying Destiny. It's totally flawed but also hugely massively compulsively addictive once it gets its hooks into you, and I'll stand by the raids , some of the strikes and the pvp.

I've got about 4 days of game time :-O

Bowen offer always open for some destiny fun times!

NinjaBoiX

Cool mane!

I think we've got ourselves a ready built raid team in me, you, Luke and Deano.

Of course I'm a lowly noob right now and God knows how long it'll take me to get up to speed!

Edit: I think Soturi has it too.

Qasiel

I have it too!

*looks at ground, scuffs feet*

Haven't played it in a long time, but a friend of mine picked it up recently and wants to give online a go on Sunday night. I've gotta stay awake for shift work, so I reckon that's what I'm gonna do.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Cool mane!

I think we've got ourselves a ready built raid team in me, you, Luke and Deano.

Of course I'm a lowly noob right now and God knows how long it'll take me to get up to speed!

Edit: I think Soturi has it too.

Sounds good. Luke never responds to my repeated pleas for destiny fun times so I hereby henceforth refuse to play with him.

In all seriousness, check out the OT. OT20, now. Good folks.

I have it too!

*looks at ground, scuffs feet*

Haven't played it in a long time, but a friend of mine picked it up recently and wants to give online a go on Sunday night. I've gotta stay awake for shift work, so I reckon that's what I'm gonna do.

Good luck! It's a bit of a marmite game (as you prob know) but definitely comes alive with others.

Danj

I have Destiny on PS4, but not any of the expansions. I got stuck at level 27 and got sick of the equipment grinding. I haven't played the game for months.

I guess I could get the expansion pass, but it's almost as much money as a whole new game. I am getting a £35 PSN voucher for my birthday on Monday among other things, but I'd have no change left over from that.

(PS yes my birthday is May 11th)

NinjaBoiX

I've played about three hours of Destiny today, more than I've played games on my Playstation in the last year combined. It's so lovingly crafted, I love all the neat little touches. The way the firing mechanism of the guns is mapped 1:1 with the trigger for example is glorious; I spent a minute or so slowly pulling the trigger of the Hand Cannon and watching the hammer slowly cock back as the cylinder rolls round.

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back on the horse.

I'll check out the OT Beth, I got me some questions! I have no idea about engrams and currency and upgrades, all that jazz.
Certainly not looking at any other mmo's made during that time so their game doesn't feel immediately outdated.
It's not an MMO.

And it doesn't feel outdated.

Basically, wut.

Why you so jaded Reknoc? Try and enjoy life mane.

Pookmunki

Sounds good. Luke never responds to my repeated pleas for destiny fun times so I hereby henceforth refuse to play with him.

In all seriousness, check out the OT. OT20, now. Good folks.

Good luck! It's a bit of a marmite game (as you prob know) but definitely comes alive with others.

I'm up for a raid sometime, apologies if you're referring to me and I'm not seeing invites sent,of course you could be talking about another Luke, in which case carry on.

PSN real name shenanigans.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've played about three hours of Destiny today, more than I've played games on my Playstation in the last year combined. It's so lovingly crafted, I love all the neat little touches. The way the firing mechanism of the guns is mapped 1:1 with the trigger for example is glorious; I spent a minute or so slowly pulling the trigger of the Hand Cannon and watching the hammer slowly cock back as the cylinder rolls round.

I'll check out the OT Beth, I got me some questions! I have no idea about engrams and currency and upgrades, all that jazz.

It's not an MMO.

Basically, wut.

Glad you like it! Yeah, go for it. I've had some really fun times with the OT folks.

The guns feel amazing, don't they? Wait till you get your hands on the legendaries and exotics. Guns that auto-reload after each kill, guns that poison people, rocket launchers that shoot homing rockets that then split into lots of mini homing rockets....and they're all so beautifully designed. My favourite is a scout rifle that boosts your speed, can keep the radar on when you ADS and fires super fast. It basically turns you into a ninja, especially when you have a "blink" style teleport for your character. So much fun! My current character can jump in the air and then basically launch herself right at a bunch of dudes and vapourise them, a bit like a superman-nuke. Always makes me feel warm and fuzzy, especially when you've got a bunch of guys hanging around a control-point zone. :)

I'm up for a raid sometime, apologies if you're referring to me and I'm not seeing invites sent,of course you could be talking about another Luke, in which case carry on.

PSN real name shenanigans.

It's actually a different Luke, but who cares! You're welcome.

Reknoc

It's not an MMO.

Basically, wut.

In the strictest sense it's not but in the sense of the games it's taken from it is. It's structurally identical to PSO, it has the weekly and daily grinds of a more modern MMO, and a typical mmorpg end game. The fact it's so easy to say it isn't is part of the games problem as it feels barren despite the fact the hub area is clearly designed for a relatively large population. The grind and the lack of LFR makes it seem like a game made by a bunch of people with nostalgia goggles for Vanilla WoW despite the fact the genre has moved way forward since then.

It's a shame as the actual shooting of stuff feels great.

Pookmunki

For me, the great thing about Destiny is that I can turn it on for an hour and feel I have gotten my time's worth, if that makes sense?

Wife and 2 kids means I don't have time to mess about so a strike, daily story and a couple rounds of Crucible means I can come away sated with no real time commitment in the short term.

NinjaBoiX

So I just woke up and the first thing I want to do is play Destiny. Oh god, I'm regressing...

Hey, at least it's not Dark Souls right?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
For me, the great thing about Destiny is that I can turn it on for an hour and feel I have gotten my time's worth, if that makes sense?

Wife and 2 kids means I don't have time to mess about so a strike, daily story and a couple rounds of Crucible means I can come away sated with no real time commitment in the short term.

That makes perfect sense. I know that it's divisive, but I actually think it's really cleverly designed to give you tiny rewards no matter what you do. If I have an hour free, I might do the same - just a couple of crucible matches and the daily story. If I have two hours, I might do a few strikes, maybe the weekly heroic strike, and if I have more time free, I'll do a raid or a nightfall. It's really flexible - there are people out there who just play the Crucible and have never even touched the co-op stuff!

So I just woke up and the first thing I want to do is play Destiny. Oh god, I'm regressing...

Hey, at least it's not Dark Souls right?

Unfair! One of us! One of us! I'm super conscious of thread shitting but do feel free to give me a shout if you have any questions. I am struck with an overwhelming desire to Sherpa you!

Oh, I checked my game time. Psch 4 days. It's 8 days :-O

Syder

You know, when I first saw the exit polls, and the subsequent results of the election, I was kind of disappointed that we could elect a Tory government but now I've had time to think about it I realise the FPTP makes this a pretty unfair two party system and the other party (Labour) just didn't/don't look convincing. Obviously, Miliband was made to look like an 'incapable geek' by Murdoch but let's face it he never really sounded like a capable leader and that's entirely his/Labour's fault.

I really hope there's a major shake up with Labour now and in the by-elections to come they can claw back a bit of control and stop Cameron's government from royally fucking up this country for the less fortunate.

NinjaBoiX

A good hour or so played first thing in the morning, I haven't done that in ages! Level 6 now, get me.

So yeah, for all the complaints about too little content, I feel thoroughly overwhelmed at the minute.

Questions:

- what is this daily story thingy? What's the different between a strike and a heroic strike? A Nightfall? I don't know what all this means! How do I access all these different mission types? I know a Raid is a really tough co-op mission that you can only invite friends to but I'm a bit lost with the rest.

- what the fuck is an "orb of light" and what does it mean to generate one?

- when you decrypt Engrams is the gear auto scaled to your level?

- all these different levelling aspects, I don't know what does what. I just levelled up a piece of armour, I have no idea what it did or if it cost me anything.

This game seems quite poor at explaining itself, I'm sure the different mission types thing is easy enough to explain but all this levelling malarky? It seems super in depth to me right now!

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
- what is this daily story thingy? What's the different between a strike and a heroic strike? A Nightfall? I don't know what all this means! How do I access all these different mission types? I know a Raid is a really tough co-op mission that you can only invite friends to but I'm a bit lost with the rest.

-
The daily heroic story is a mission that changes each day. It is a random story mission from the plot with the "heroic" modifier which makes it harder and prevents auto-respawns (i.e. if you die, someone needs to revive you, you can't just wait it out). it opens up at level 20 and completing it gives you rewards. You can scale the difficulty - the higher the difficulty, the more rewards.

A heroic strike is similar - it is a strike mission but with the "heroic" modifier making it harder and preventing auto-respawns. There is a new one each week and again it opens up at level 20. The higher level you complete it at, the better rewards you get.

Nightfall is another weekly strike. It's harder than the heroic and if your team wipe, you get dumped back to orbit, meaning you need to do the whole thing from the beginning again. If you complete it you get sweet loot and a 20% experience bonus for the rest of the week. You can tell people have completed the Nightfall because they have a bluey cloud around their heads.

Each of those can have additional modifiers (i.e. ammo only drops for weapons you don't have equipped, enemies are more vulnerable to certain types of damage etc).

Like I said, they all unlock at level 20. They're the real meat of the Destiny single-player / co-op stuff imo. The story is just to familiarise you with the basics.

- what the fuck is an "orb of light" and what does it mean to generate one?

-

Orbs of light are left behind when you do your super. Other friendly players picking them up speed up their super charge-up time. They're vital in raids and co-op and also when you're playing team PvP - you get more orbs the more enemies you kill with your super and there are certain supers that are great at just churning out orbs for the rest of the team.

- when you decrypt Engrams is the gear auto scaled to your level?

Yes, mostly. You'll be getting greens which are the lowly starter gear. Later you'll get blues which are for levels 20-25. What you really want are purples which get you the legendary gear. The more engrams you decrypt, the more the Cryptarch levels up. Every time he levels up you might get some loot.
-

- all these different levelling aspects, I don't know what does what. I just levelled up a piece of armour, I have no idea what it did or if it cost me anything.

-

Don't worry about that. Just get to 20 with the basics and do bounties where you can. You're still in the tutorial stage until you finish the story!

NinjaBoiX

OK, cheers sploat. That's answered most of my basic questions! I've started posting in the OT so as not to bore the non-destiny players with spam.

Yeah, I'm already activating bounties where I can, gotta level up quick! Also played a quick crucible match as I reached the level requirement, I was kicking a level 27 players arse before he double teamed me with a level 30 dude. Feels good man, I was always pretty decent at Halo and it seems this game is similarly well balanced so noobs can still hold their own against the big boys.

:D

Stopped for some lunch, I'll be back at it in a bit if anyone wants to hop on. Anyone wanting to add me, my PSN is the same as my handle.

We'll chat destiny shit in the OT sploat innit, let's not repeat the Dark Souls debacle!

Danj

OK, cheers sploat. That's answered most of my basic questions! I've started posting in the OT so as not to bore the non-destiny players with spam.

Yeah, I'm already activating bounties where I can, gotta level up quick! Also played a quick crucible match as I reached the level requirement, I was kicking a level 27 players arse before he double teamed me with a level 30 dude. Feels good man, I was always pretty decent at Halo and it seems this game is similarly well balanced so noobs can still hold their own against the big boys.

:D

Stopped for some lunch, I'll be back at it in a bit if anyone wants to hop on. Anyone wanting to add me, my PSN is the same as my handle.

We'll chat destiny shit in the OT sploat innit, let's not repeat the Dark Souls debacle!

What platform are you playing Destiny on? I'm on PS4.

Hobohodo

I rea he'd the pointy with Destiny where I need t put to much time into it to get stuff out of it now that I'd rather play other stuff. Yet every so often I get the urge and I'm back on it.

Tried to do VoG a few months back, wasn't happening with my lot.

Cross-posting what I posted in the rock music thread since I'd love to hear some opinions if possible.

Well the mix could do with some work, where did you record it?

But apart from that I like the song, it's well written and orchestrated, the vocals are pretty good and it all has a nice complimenting tone that's pleasant to listen to.

Xun

Well the mix could do with some work, where did you record it?

But apart from that I like the song, it's well written and orchestrated, the vocals are pretty good and it all has a nice complimenting tone that's pleasant to listen to.
We recorded the drums at the studio using some of the drummers equipment, but we were a bit limited because of this.

The rest was recorded mostly at my house using Logic Pro. I've never recorded and mixed a song before so I'm not too unhappy with the results, although we'll get it recorded again at a studio at some point. It's solely a demo to send to venues and hopefully gain some interest online.

Getting some pretty strong Jeff Buckley vibes, the end of the chorus sounds loads like So Real.

Good stuff man!
We're all fans of Buckley, so I'm not at all surprised it gives off those vibes! He was an incredible musician.

Anyway cheers for the compliments guys! I really appreciate it.

We recorded the drums at the studio using some of the drummers equipment, but we were a bit limited because of this.

The rest was recorded mostly at my house using Logic Pro. I've never recorded and mixed a song before so I'm not too unhappy with the results, although we'll get it recorded again at a studio at some point. It's solely a demo to send to venues and hopefully gain some interest online.

We're all fans of Buckley, so I'm not at all surprised it gives off those vibes! He was an incredible musician.

Anyway cheers for the compliments guys! I really appreciate it.

In that case job well done! I always found mixing really difficult at home, it's definitely worth paying the money to record everything in a studio and getting a pro to do it for you. But for a home demo it's not bad at all, let me know if you guys have any gigs in London.

Top Bottom