• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Why haven't you written a book yet?

I could come up with some smartmouth clicky fingers answer but I'll be honest.

Prose comes easiest to me when I'm recounting my life experiences but I'm not so keen on spinning out some kind of broader semi-autobiographical story. There are no futuristic cityscapes or fantasy worlds in my experience I can touch on and I'm more interested in crafting pure fiction. Unfortunately this involves me coming up with the middling stuff that happens between set pieces and that's where I struggle. Every six months I'll have some kind of idea and focus intently on it but not really do anything with it, eventually I get fatigued and something else comes along.

-

Oh my I'm top of the page. The spotlight, it burns!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I could come up with some smartmouth clicky fingers answer but I'll be honest.

Prose comes easiest to me when I'm recounting my life experiences but I'm not so keen on spinning out some kind of broader semi-autobiographical story. There are no futuristic cityscapes or fantasy worlds in my experience I can touch on and I'm more interested in crafting pure fiction. Unfortunately this involves me coming up with the middling stuff that happens between set pieces and that's where I struggle. Every six months I'll have some kind of idea and focus intently on it but not really do anything with it, eventually I get fatigued and something else comes along.

All I can say is that's a damn shame. I'd read the fuck out of it.

Can't you maybe mix the two...? Semi-autographical life experiences set in a sprawling futuristic megalopolis?

Well that's encouraging, never say never you know.

I think the main sticking point creatively is that anything I'd write would almost certainly not be a comedy and most likely horrific and soul destroying. While there's probably a good story in there, that negativity eats away at my resolve.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's encouraging, never say never you know.

I think the main sticking point creatively is that anything I'd write would almost certainly not be a comedy and most likely horrific and soul destroying. While there's probably a good story in there, that negativity eats away at my resolve.

Perhaps it'd be so horrific and full of despair that it's funny, like Kafka.

Marmozets - Vibetech

-took a while for me to appreciate it's magnificence but it's become one of my favourite tracks of the record. Fucking mental.

She screams a lot though, sounds a touch peeved.

That was the shit. Specifically, my shit. Cheers!

In return, here's something you may like (apologies if I've posted this one before) :

Melt Banana - Shield for Your Eyes, A Beast in the Well on Your Hand

True story, daps' posts are some of my favourite on the whole forum. Effortlessly comic and evocative.

He's certainly a gifted raconteur.

NinjaBoiX

I just watch Chef on Netflix, Jon Favreau flick, really enjoyed it. Just a nice, feel good movie with a great cast and a wicked soundtrack. Full of uplifting Cuban music and coincidentally enough it also had Riot Jazz's cover of Sexual Healing on it too. Small world!

If I had some criticisms I guess it was a little mawkish in parts and the ending was a bit abrupt but I'd recommend it. Fun watch.
That was the shit. Specifically, my shit. Cheers!
Cool, figured it'd dip your biscuit! I just love how imaginative they are with their song structure and time signatures, really clever band.

Metal can be good in the right hands, like any genre, there are some diamonds in the rough. There's a disproportionate amount of embarrassing, cornball, cookie cutter dross in that genre but there are some really interesting bands if you dig deep enough.
In return, here's something you may like (apologies if I've posted this one before) :

Melt Banana - Shield for Your Eyes, A Beast in the Well on Your Hand
OK, I was all ready to dislike this, I've heard them in the past and found them a bit too chaotic, but this was good! Not a massive fan of the vocals but it had an infectious rhythm and that main riff is a thing of beauty, so glitchy as if they used a ZX Spectrum as a filter pedal.

Good stuff.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
Well I'm back (I'm sure you were all very worried as to where I was these past two weeks)

2 weeks off work and a trip to Barcelona for Primavera. To keep 15 year old me happy I saw The Strokes and Death From Above 1979, two of the best bands I've seen live for a while. My shoe literally fell apart after being in the pit for the whole DFA set (Thank you £3 Primark plimsolls), It was 'Bangin''.

I also saw Ratatat (lazers pew pew), HEALTH (Insane live), The Black Keys (Really don't work on a big stage), Tune-Yards (Hadn't heard of them before the festival but they were great), Cheatahs (Great band, give 'The Swan' a listen), Run The Jewels (Sweet jesus they were hype) and loadsss more. 10/10 would Primavera again.

Back to reality now... SIGH.

How's it all going BritGaf on this lovely (Read: Shitty) Monday morning?

I just watch Chef on Netflix, Jon Favreau flick, really enjoyed it. Just a nice, feel good movie with a great cast and a wicked soundtrack. Full of uplifting Cuban music and coincidentally enough it also had Riot Jazz's cover of Sexual Healing on it too. Small world!

If I had some criticisms I guess it was a little mawkish in parts and the ending was a bit abrupt but I'd recommend it. Fun watch.

I really loved Chef, just a good time move with good chemistry between all the cast I thought. especially between Favreau and John Leguizamo

HELLOOO :3

Jordan

SmokyDave

I swear the terminally unemployed and feckless must have their own radio station. Every bastard summer I hear the same shitty R&B blasted out of the same shitty speakers. I mean, it's lovely that they can sit in the garden all day whilst I crack on to make sure they can fucking eat, but I'd appreciate some P&Q while I'm doing it.

What I wouldn't give for a Molotov cocktail right now.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Hello!

I swear the terminally unemployed and feckless must have their own radio station. Every bastard summer I hear the same shitty R&B blasted out of the same shitty speakers. I mean, it's lovely that they can sit in the garden all day whilst I crack on to make sure they can fucking eat, but I'd appreciate some P&Q while I'm doing it.

What I wouldn't give for a Molotov cocktail right now.

I'm building up a portfolio at the moment - we are still in the planning stages, tbh - but I anticipate my arms dealership to come online in the next few years. We won't be selling Molotovs directly but we will sell a "make your own" kit. It's called the "Che" and contains everything you need to make a firebomb in your own home. Just keep away from children under 5. I'll add you to the waiting list.

Hey Mush, yeah I'm okay - a few things have happened in my life that have been a bit life changing but nothing too severe :)

How are you? We still need to meet up for that coffee at some point!

I'm good! And yes definitely. I'm busy busy at the mo but will check the diary. It'll deff be a weekend right?

Volotaire

Oh man this is tough. God, I have to go with 2 despite my love for 1's grittiness.

Also, I love how you disposed Terminator 3 and 4 in this.

SKINNER!

Banned
Oh man this is tough. God, I have to go with 2 despite my love for 1's grittiness.

Also, I love how you disposed Terminator 3 and 4 in this.

I can excuse T3 because it - at least - had some decent action sequences but 4?! Fuck that movie until judgement day. It was gash.

and yeah, 1 had a really great gritty feel to it but I do have a soft spot for T2. I think it was the first action movie I really connected with emotionally. T1 was straight up badass from start to finish but T2 just felt for real to me. Still, Linda Hamilton was great in both flicks.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
f44zY.gif

NinjaBoiX

I think Terminator 2 was the first movie I was obsessed with, I must have seen it like 30+ times. I wanted to be John Connor so bad, he inspired me to get a 125cc scrambler when I was a teen. God I loved that thing.

I cried at the end too, my brother walked in as the credits were rolling and gave me a disdainful glare.

I lied and said I fell and hit my head.

Mr. Sam

For a long time I thought the first was the best - then I saw the two of them back to back as part of an Arnie marathon and yeah, I think Judgment Day edges it.

The first film has aged quite badly but is still a good movie. Terminator 2 is a great movie. Still up there in any list of greatest action movies and conversely has aged very well.

That bit where the T-1000 slips through the prison bars but gets his gun stuck on the way out still looks good, arguably better than the liquid metal terminator in the new film.

SKINNER!

Banned
True dat. Effects-wise, T2 still holds up compared to T1. Considering how dated some 90s and 2000s look today, I think that's a remarkable achievement.

NinjaBoiX

Yep I'm going to say 2 > 1 as well, but I love 1.

edit: Since I'm here, gonna post NinjMinj's fave Dizzee Rascal - Pagans.
Haha, this will forever be a bone of contention bro.

Here, check this out, I think it'll butter your parsnips. They're a grime group from my own fair Manchester:

Levelz - LVL 07

I first heard them working at Mint Lounge, two of the producers host Well Good Do on a Thursday night. Fuck me, those guys like their bass...

Jordan

Hey Sploat! How's it going?

No I don't think we have, I'm fairly new around here. And you!

Welcome, I'll try and find your first post with the form on it and then stalk you :)

I'm good! And yes definitely. I'm busy busy at the mo but will check the diary. It'll deff be a weekend right?

Yeah definitely, I'll drop you a message on whatsapp soon and we can try and sort something out :)

Oi Oi Jordan. How's it going buddy? :D

Hey Shorty! Yeah, I'm good thanks. How are you?

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member
SBTRKT feat. Sampha - Hold On
- came on the radio last night, haven't heard it in ages. I forgot how amazing this tune is.

Mhhmmm SBTRKT are sweet. That whole album is great, man. Pharaohs and Wildfire being the big'ns on it but Hold On really does stand out for me.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25963-1347140900-3.gif

Welcome, I'll try and find your first post with the form on it and then stalk you :)

I can already feel your e-breathe on my neck as I travel these series of tubes. It's an honour.

Samurai Flamenco is fun. Takes a while to get started but goes completely off the rails after a few episodes.

Basic premise: a fashion model obsessed power rangers/godzilla style shows decides to become a superhero despite having no superpowers, things go from bad to bananas to batshit insane.

Well yes.

This was all plodding along in a very silly way and then all of a sudden
MOTHERFUCKERS START GETTING DECAPITATED.

That was quite unexpected.

Lunch_Box_

Neo Member

jimbor

Banned
So I have a new housemate, a middle aged plumber with not very many teeth named Mick. He is replacing Paul, who was a middle aged truck driver with not very many teeth. So far I am very disappointed with the new tenant. He is older and more doddery than Paul was, I think Mick has had a stroke at some point in his life as he has a consistent slur in his voice. Paul had less teeth but he had more edge to him, lots of weird tattoos and a sense of humour. Despite Paul being older, we had been able to establish some camaraderie. Paul's departure closes the book on some truly epic bants. In comparison, Mick is like the spectre of old age and mortality, enthusiasm for life evaporates when he walks into a room, we try our best to be welcoming and take an interest but we can only do so much.

He's already had an awkward showdown with our resident Fallout cosplayer, Atilla. My Hungarian housemate had cooked some chicken the night before Mick descended on the place. Mick arrived and apparently thought this was some kind of welcome treat and ate all of Atilla's chicken, which he had been saving for lunch. Atilla, not the kind of man who takes such a matter lightly, decided to question Mick before any introductions were made. I have never seen someone make such a poor first impression.

So its only been a few days but Mick is going to have to do much better than this. He's a 4/10 Housemate and that's only that high because he says he might have a Sky box we can use.

But when you have a lingering dislike for a person, suddenly everything they do is annoying. Last night I had partaken of ye olde wacky tobaccy and was watching 1864 a gritty period drama series on BBC 4 following soldiers in the Danish army during their war with a newly-unified Germany. The series is all in Danish and is at times pretty fucking dark. In comes Mick with his wife or girlfriend, a sour faced woman at any rate, and they start cooking noisily. I'm subtly increasing the volume as this goes on and Mick makes some small talk with me about the house, interrupting me as I'm answering his own questions. As he's talking, a particularly grim bit of the show is unfolding, and whether it was because everything was in Danish or because there was a lot of blood and screaming, Mick became curious and asked "What side is this on then?"

For some reason his use of the word "side" (coupled with my assumption that he was judging me for my viewing tastes) irritated me immensely. I'm still angry today in fact. Not that I let it slip, I patiently informed him that it was on BBC 4 and that I was watching it on iPlayer. But the use of the word "side" as a sort of blue collar colloquialism for "television channel" still irks me for reasons I cannot fully explain. Regardless, after two days in the house I'm keen for him to exit.

Had I less tact I would ask him how long he intends to stay. In a vaguely sociopathic way I've been examining ways I could potentially persuade him to look elsewhere. Him actually dying would probably be a great hassle for everyone but perhaps I could stage an elaborate ruse and convince him the house is haunted or cursed, built on the remains of an ancient Indian burial ground perhaps.

Something has to be done, we had a good system going for six months but in a house share, inevitably you roll the dice with a new tenant and lose. If this post has made me sound like an ageist or some other kind of embittered anus so be it, he's been in the house two days and across three encounters with the man I've accumulated nothing but negative emotions for him.

You're truly wasted in this thread/on this site. I mean, there are people here that actually prefer the second Terminator film, what the fuck?

NinjaBoiX

Amber Coffman from the Dirty Projectors on Get Free by Major Lazer for example. Can't get enough of those type of vocals.
OFf4ivi.gif

Also, it's nearly E3! Who's staying up or watching what?
Fuck that, I'll just sit down for an hour or so afterwards and watch the actual footage rather than hours upon hours of suits spouting buzzwords in between the good stuff.
You're truly wasted in this thread/on this site. I mean, there are people here that actually prefer the second Terminator film, what the fuck?
It's not hard to see why, they're very different. The first film is a pretty decent sci-fi take on the slasher flick, the second is one of the finest action movies ever made.

jimbor

Banned
OFf4ivi.gif

Fuck that, I'll just sit down for an hour or so afterwards and watch the actual footage rather than hours upon hours of suits spouting buzzwords in between the good stuff.

It's not hard to see why, they're very different. The first film is a pretty decent sci-fi take on the slasher flick, the second is one of the finest action movies ever made.

First film is a fucking great sci fi noir, the second is a good action film but mostly a weak rehash of the first. The only way the first could've been better was the robot effects and casting Rae Dawn Chong as Sarah Connor. Perfect otherwise.

I'm going to shit on your carpet at the Manc meet.

Top Bottom