• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You need to get on both of those. You didn't even get past the tutorial! XD

Then we wouldn't have got MGS3... w-why would you say such a thing...?

It's hard going with me. My attention is not easily grabbed.

With MGS3, I dunno. It left me cold. I think it was Eva's boobs. I was just like "nah".

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I bet Dark Souls fans can't wait to play the same game for the fifth time lol

Haha. Not really interested tbh. Also not interested in 360 BC or a disk full of old Rare games.

And hearing the crowd whoop and cheer at the Bethesda conference was stomach-turning.

Reknoc

Thoughts on recent announcements

Dark Souls 3: Fuck offfffffffff, let Miyazaki make a new Armoured Core!

Rare: The collection is actually really fucking awesome. The fact that Conker is the N64 version and not the terrible remake is a huge plus. Not at the point where my nostalgic desperation has made it so that a few N64 games is worth getting a console for mind. The trailer showing the total gamescore might actually be one of the lowest points of gaming for me.

Sea of Thieves looks neat.

Backwards Compatibility: Yeah, you did a swell job of that last time and good luck getting publishers to say yes to it when they can just rerelease the games.

Reknoc

Yea, okay Meat, the MGSV trailer was awesome, the music, the ending. Kinda wish they didn't show off some of the weird ass looking shit in the middle of it though (you can tell it was directed by Kojima with the zoom shot of the tit jiggling).

Also with that I guess confirmed; Eli needs to be voiced by
Cam Clarke

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, okay Meat, the MGSV trailer was awesome, the music, the ending. Kinda wish they didn't show off some of the weird ass looking shit in the middle of it though (you can tell it was directed by Kojima with the zoom shot of the tit jiggling).

Also with that I guess confirmed; Eli needs to be voiced by
Cam Clarke

It was amazing. Some William S Burroughs/Word-Virus stuff going on in that trailer.

They also reference the Sapir/Whorf hypothesis which happens to be the cornerstone of '1984'. It posits that the structure of language affects the way we view and understand the world. An example would be, if you don't know any words for something like 'freedom', how can you identify, express or even understand the experience?

That's some really heavy shit...

...amongst the titty shots.

NinjaBoiX

Just got back from a few beers and a disappointingly undercooked £12 pizza in Chorlton, got some e3 goodness to catch up on before bed.
It was amazing. Some William S Burroughs/Word-Virus stuff going on in that trailer.

They also reference the Sapir/Whorf hypothesis which happens to be the cornerstone of '1984'. It posits that the structure of language affects the way we view and understand the world. An example would be, if you don't know any words for something like 'freedom', how can you identify, express or even understand the experience?

That's some really heavy shit...

...amongst the titty shots.
I don't understand how this is some grand, hypothetical ephinany, seems like the very definition of stating the obvious.

Maybe I just don't get it. :|

Reknoc

2nd MGS trailer bad. bunch of bits from the main one but with generic awful trailer music and preview praise. Bit at the end was good though.

NinjaBoiX

OK, just watched the Star Wars Battlefront gameplay...

tumblr_m413hztuvm1roqhya.gif

Yeah, it basically looks like a Star Wars mod for Battlefield but how is that not all kinds of awesome!

Based DICE.
So...what games are you voting for for Xbone backwards compatibility?
Pure.

Pure.

And this awesome game called Pure.

Let me play Pure again.

Pure.

DrtjdTQ.jpg

PURE!!!

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how this is some grand, hypothetical ephinany, seems like the very definition of stating the obvious.

Maybe I just don't get it. :|

Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. It's a bit stronger than "affect".

Strong Sapir-Whorf implies you can control people by strictly regulating language. In '1984', the governmemt introduce a new language ('Double-Speak') that distorts concepts and ideas and reduces meaning. The idea being they destroy or defang concepts that threaten their dominance, so that people can't express or understand them enough to identify or act upon them. So, for example, eradicating all words that mean 'rebellion', could mean people can't ever put one together because they've no idea what that is or what it feels like.

I think the strong version of the hypothesis is largely discredited. Like, although we might not be able to express it, 'happiness' is a chemical thingy, so wouldn't we feel it anyway? It's all mindfuckery at the end of the day.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Sorry, I didn't explain it very well. It's a bit stronger than "affect".

Strong Sapir-Whorf implies you can control people by strictly regulating language. In '1984', the governmemt introduce a new language ('Double-Speak') that distorts concepts and ideas and reduces meaning. The idea being they destroy or defang concepts that threaten their dominance, so that people can't express or understand them enough to identify or act upon them. So, for example, eradicating all words that mean 'rebellion', could mean people can't ever put one together because they've no idea what that is or what it feels like.

I think the strong version of the hypothesis is largely discredited. Like, although we might not be able to express it, 'happiness' is a chemical thingy, so wouldn't we feel it anyway? It's all mindfuckery at the end of the day.

Did you ever read the language instinct by Steven Pinker?

-

Ok my grumpy take on e3 is

Star Wars will be fun
No man's sky needs a release date
Uncharted might be ok
Everybody's gone to the rapture maybe

As for the rest

Nope
Don't care
Not bothered
Same old same old
Final fantasy yawn
Shenmue not that good
Grumble
Gears of SNORE

NinjaBoiX

Ah, OK, that makes more sense now meat. Your words affected my understanding. :p
Oh, please don't ever post like that. It's just so jarring to see you quoting someone, only to find out that their post is right below yours.
I can see how that could get confusing, especially given that thread gets like three posts an hour.

(You seem to be incredibly pedantic regarding people's posting etiquette bro. Just let it go, nobody likes a back seat mod.)

The_Poet

Banned
I would be more excited for Shenmue 3 if I remember where the last one ended, and if there was any way of going back and playing them.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Haha! Yeah, my bad. Over excited about MGS. :)

No, but I will.

Also: Cheer up. This E3 has been great!

Maybe I just need to watch a few more of the shows. At the moment I'm not not excited, I'm just not that bothered. I feel a bit burned by all the over promising from the last couple of years.

I didn't like Shenmue, i don't like those Rare games, I'm not bothered by Fallout 4 or Dishonoured 2, I'm not a fan of Guerrilla, I don't like Halo, I dont like Final Fantasy, I don't like Gears and I don't care about sports.

The Last Guardian just looks like Ico with a birddog. Battlefront might be ok. No Man's Sky looks great but it didn't show anything new. Destiny I don't need to look too much into as it's more of the same, which I'm fine with.

I still love games and playing them, I'm just not really plussed by this show, seems just like a big nostalgia trip. I've not seen the pressers though - this is just based on GAF threads and YouTube clips.

Reknoc

the most exciting things I've seen at E3 so far are a rom dump of an old ass nes game nintendo found in their cupboard, that wasn't even announced at E3 and a trailer for a game coming out in a few months.

yeah, not feeling e3. the sony one will 'win', whatever that decision means from a bunch of people that then litter my facebook feed with OMGZ FINAFLF FNAtASYS SEVENS AGAIN YAYYYY TOLD UUUUUUUUU', but it was all just blah. media molecule showed the most interesting experience, morpheus' price was completely glossed over and no man's sky showcased the same thing once again. technically and aesthetically lovely but seems really hollow.
oh yeah, more destiny. hurrah.

the microsoft one was dull too. i don't think i care for gaming much anymore.

Mr. Sam

But nah, I'm not playing anymore of Wolfy, it's really boring. Maybe I've been spoilt by Destiny being hugely engaging to play but it just seemed really archaic and basic. The AI is awful and you basically just walk around mowing down faceless nazis and pressing square on pretty much anything else you see.

Thank fuck - somebody finally feels the same about Wolfenstein as I do.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
yeah, not feeling e3. the sony one will 'win', whatever that decision means from a bunch of people that then litter my facebook feed with OMGZ FINAFLF FNAtASYS SEVENS AGAIN YAYYYY TOLD UUUUUUUUU', but it was all just blah. media molecule showed the most interesting experience, morpheus' price was completely glossed over and no man's sky showcased the same thing once again. technically and aesthetically lovely but seems really hollow.
oh yeah, more destiny. hurrah.

the microsoft one was dull too. i don't think i care for gaming much anymore.

I still like gaming but yeah. Reading the apoplexy over on gaming side makes me wonder what the fuss is about. OMG OMG I CANT EVEN I CANT EVEN for a port of an ancient JRPG. OMG OMG I CANT EVEN for a sequel to two old, overrated Dreamcast games. OMG OMG OMG I CANT EVEN for the Ico sequel that was due in 2010 and looks like it hasn't changed. GAF is almost parodying itself.

Also obligatory invite to meeting up that you will ignore

Volotaire

I still like gaming but yeah. Reading the apoplexy over on gaming side makes me wonder what the fuss is about. OMG OMG I CANT EVEN I CANT EVEN for a port of an ancient JRPG. OMG OMG I CANT EVEN for a sequel to two old, overrated Dreamcast games. OMG OMG OMG I CANT EVEN for the Ico sequel that was due in 2010 and looks like it hasn't changed. GAF is almost parodying itself.

There were plenty of new IPs announced yesterday too. They were quite exciting.

Reknoc

tbf to FFVII, it's a remake not a port, of a game that desperately needed a graphical overhaul and retranslation.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sorry Sploat, but if anyone is acting like a parody of GAF, it's you. ;P

Some people have as much of an emotional connection to video games as others do to music or films or literature. I don't think there is anything wrong with them getting excited by things.

tbf to FFVII, it's a remake not a port, of a game that desperately needed a graphical overhaul and retranslation.

the original is such a weird game, tone wise. all over the shop. it will be interesting to see how that is ported across now everything seems Real and Gritty and Dark.

there's no details on this game, none. full 3D remake? same battle system? new real-time/FFXV battle system?
the game will disappear and come back during E3 2025, on the PS5.

Reknoc

the original is such a weird game, tone wise. all over the shop. it will be interesting to see how that is ported across now everything seems Real and Gritty and Dark.

there's no details on this game, none. full 3D remake? same battle system? new real-time/FFXV battle system?
the game will disappear and come back during E3 2025, on the PS5.

There isn't shit. Which is why I'm not excited by it yet. I don't really trust S-E to do this well and will continue until I see proper footage.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
There were plenty of new IPs announced yesterday too. They were quite exciting.

You got me. I'm just grumpy.

sorry about that, i am a routinely awful human. are you not going to the manchester meet up?

That's a negatory, capn

I'm sorry Sploat, but if anyone is acting like a parody of GAF, it's you. ;P

Some people have as much of an emotional connection to video games as others do to music or films or literature. I don't think there is anything wrong with them getting excited by things.

You totally and utterly put me in my place. I will take out my grumpiness on something else. Anyway, if I know me (and I sometimes don't), in a few weeks I'll be harping on obsessively about how TLG is the best thing EVER.

I'm not really a 'solid opinion' kind of person. I feel quite bad now. I take it back GAF! Be excited! I bet I'll watch the shows once I've eaten something and end up posting the same type of stuff anyway. Or will I. I have no idea. What is identity anyway?!?!?!?!

The_Poet

Banned
I can understand excitement upon hearing a game you hoped is real is actually real but what gets me is the immediate proclamation of "____ WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER!!!!11 DAY ONE!" when only a cgi trailer / logo was shown. Damn sheeple.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
but whyyyyyyyyy
that was going to be the easiest way for me to gather some kind of social life up here!

I walk alone, I'm afraid. God damnit Skeletonium. It's not that hard. You put on some clothes, you sit in a coffee shop, you drink a coffee, you talk for an hour or two, you go home.

The more you dodge the more determined I am! Admittedly it's getting a bit weird now.

Top Bottom