• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Ashes

Banned
I don't understand how insurance maths work. I really don't.

Insurance renewal goes up by £100 from last year's payment 30 days before 28th Sept. So I look around, and everybody else on comparison websites is around that mark.

Then I have an accident, lose my no claims bonuses etc, and all my insurance quotes go up by a £1000 or more on average, and most insurers don't want my business. My original renewel quote is cancelled with the updated information, and it goes up by £300.

So I cancelled that figure because I can't afford it. What having to pay repair costs for my sister's car [the car I had the accident in]

I've been looking at quotes every Monday. And was resigned to go with £+300 from last year quote my own insurer gave.

Low and behold, today on the 28th September, I wake up and use google car comparison, and all the premiums are down to last year's payment. Several below too. And this is after the accident and losing no claims bonus etc.

So I called up and asked for the lowest quote to be matched, and it turns out, it's a sister company, and all they do is enter the details, and hey presto covered for less than last year even with less no claims bonus.

edit: I did find out that the lowest any company would go for me is >£750, which is what the call operator blurted out, added but they would never match that due to my postcode, which is a bit disheartening. Done in because of all these claim insurance agencies in our postcode. So not actually risk wise, but people in our post code, most likely get more money out of insurance companies per policy claim than the average person.

The_Poet

Banned
Oktoberfest was incredible.

Next year I'm wearing the tightest, shortest lederhosen I can find. It will only enhance the experience.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So...The Martian opens this week...who's ready?

We're going to see it, although my expectations are fairly low. I don't think Ridley Scott has a particularly strong body of work, despite Alien and Blade Runner both being peerless and Prometheus having a bunch of interesting ideas.

Saw 99 Homes yesterday. It was good. Amazing performances from Andrew Garfield and Michael Shannon, though.

I think the film I'm most looking forward to is The Lobster with Colin Farrell, closely followed by Macbeth with Fassbender and Marion Cotillard (despite disagreeing strongly with her recent comments about feminism).

Also saw Ed Harris's Pollock biography the other day. Was really good. He's such an underrated actor. He's like distilled essence of primal man.

Oh hang on, I forgot, I went with a friend to a queer film night - saw a bunch of shorts which were fabulous and got to speak to the directors and some of the performers and then Dressed as a Girl which followed Jonny Woo and 5 other queens over a period of 9 years. Really powerful stuff.

How long has it been since I last posted? Can't remember, but we saw Legend as well. It was pretty crap, even though Tom Hardy was good in it.

Mostly though I've just been teaching myself how to draw 1950s style (thinking Lichtenstein and Jaime Hernandez) and reading, reading, reading. Currently reading a book of essays by the French theorist Christine Delphy, which is amazing.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
NASA giving some decent viral marketing to Ridley.
YZXObbN.jpg

The_Poet

Banned
I don't mind Ridley Scott, he still makes entertaining films.

What I do mind is that he is delaying Blomkamp's new Alien film until after he's finished with Prometheus 2...

SKINNER!

Banned
Really itching to get a SNES for some reason. Let's all appreciate how pretty the PAL console was compared to its hideous NTSC sibling.

Awright? See that ludicrous display last night?

Just had that experience in the tea room earlier this morning.

Me: "Up to much tonight? "

Work colleague: "Managed to get tickets to the big game tonight! Can't wait! "

My thoughts: Big game? SPL? Rugby? Was I meant to be aware of this? What game?

Me: yaaaay big game! Hope the team wins.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Question for you fine folks. If you were looking for a job in England, where would you turn? I'm thinking of moving there in a year or so and I'd like to start sniffing around for a job that would sponsor a foreigner. Is the British Craigslist worth paying attention to, or is there a better starting point?

My wife is the culinary industry and I'm a journalist with a military and public relations background. But also, really any job that will get us set up in a new country.

For specific companies I would target their own recruitment websites. More general job sites would be things like reed, monster. I'd imagine there are good ex pat forums around which will go into how to job search effectively!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
For specific companies I would target their own recruitment websites. More general job sites would be things like reed, monster. I'd imagine there are good ex pat forums around which will go into how to job search effectively!

Apparently, London Craigslist is populated entirely by hookers and pimps. I hadn't heard of Reed before, I'll look into that, thanks.

Today, for the first time, I became aware of the existence of Tipping Point.

For those unaware, someone at ITV went to the beach one day and put 2p in one of those coin pusher machines and said "hey, I reckon we can get an hour of television out of this," and so they actually went and fucking made it into a television programme.

It was astonishingly bad.

For those unaware, someone at ITV went to the beach one day and put 2p in one of those coin pusher machines and said "hey, I reckon we can get an hour of television out of this," and so they actually went and fucking made it into a television programme.

Next time you're slaving away in work for a pittance just think of the smug 23 year old media studies graduate who got a phat wedge for that idea.

Vashetti

Banned

Hey man I enjoy Tipping Point and The Chase!

Daffy Duck

Lol, I said the exact same thing when we saw it.

Volotaire

I need to watch this.

Top Bottom