• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

I really hope the whole time is an illusion thing gets disproven in my lifetime.

it is a truly fascinating thing to get your head around. the future is already there, we just can't experience it because of our three-dimensional limitations. how crazy is that.
a fourth-dimensional being can see beyond what we see and look at us the same way we might look at a two-dimensional shape, with all of its simplicity and limits.
fuck.

oh wait lol the voice lololo muslim paedos lolo mcrib

blowneokl9.gif

Would you travel forwards or backwards in time if you had the choice?

The pessimist in me says the future will suck but people have subjective ideas about good and bad, arguably this is both a fantastic time and a shit time to be alive. However I am curious about the shape of the world in 50 to a 100 years.

Conversely, I'd quite like to go back to a time and place where I could exploit people's ignorance and become a kind of god king with slaves and shit.

Volotaire

The pessimist in me says the future will suck but people have subjective ideas about good and bad, arguably this is both a fantastic time and a shit time to be alive. However I am curious about the shape of the world in 50 to a 100 years.

Conversely, I'd quite like to go back to a time and place where I could exploit people's ignorance and become a kind of god king with slaves and shit.

If I go backwards the presence of me just being there, stepping on a blade of grass or insect will change the timeline I know according to butterfly theory. In the case of the future, I can take a glimpse into the future and wander about with little repercussion. Why? Because by going back into the past with my knowledge of the future means new future takes it place. Unless the future I visit is based upon the fact that i visit the future and my new found knowledge...

Limited knowledge of space-time makes it a bad idea for any human to visit the past.

To be honest, if it was a one way trip I'd probably not care too much about disrupting the future. If I did I'd never live to see it and the rest of humanity wouldn't know anyway.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

One way? I'd go back to the 1950s with some inoculations, a Sports Almanac, and a notoriously reliable car.

If I go backwards the presence of me just being there, stepping on a blade of grass or insect will change the timeline I know according to butterfly theory.

That's only if the future isn't already set and time moves as we perceive it; and the Novikov Self-Consistency Principle isn't in play. I say go nuts, man.

Well what kind of way to live would it be to try and limit your impact as much as possible? You'd have to shrivel up in a ball and not talk to anyone for the rest of your life.

You may as well accept that your mere travel to the past has altered reality so just give steam power to the aztecs or some shit, shake things up.

I'd go back before electricity was invented, and instead of inventing electricity I would realise that I had no fucking idea how electricity worked and so I'd just end up as one of those people from Maid Marian and her Merry Men who eats mud all day.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Well what kind of way to live would it be to try and limit your impact as much as possible? You'd have to shrivel up in a ball and not talk to anyone for the rest of your life.

You may as well accept that your mere travel to the past has altered reality so just give steam power to the aztecs or some shit, shake things up.

Kicking space-time's back doors in. I like it.

Like kidnaping Werner von Braun and Oppenheimer Bill and Ted style, dropping them off in Medieval Germany, and fast forwarding to a Joust with Rocket Propelled Atomic Lances.

Volotaire

One way? I'd go back to the 1950s with some inoculations, a Sports Almanac, and a notoriously reliable car.

That's only if the future isn't already set and time moves as we perceive it; and the Novikov Self-Consistency Principle isn't in play. I say go nuts, man.

Never heard of it. Cool.

jimbor

Banned
You just won't let that one go now, will you? Too bad you don't like it.

It wasn't that, it was your up your own arse-ness that went with it, the patronising 'you can't have seen that many films' yet with each subsequent post about films you make, it turns out you've seen fuck all.

But do enjoy catching up on the classics.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
So I was reading about Kandinsky and then reading his 'on the spiritual in art' and thought id try Rez for a break from bang bang shoot. Put on headphones super loud And then 3 hours later I get to the end and feel like I've spent time out of mind and credits roll and it says 'dedicated to the soul of W Kandinsky'.

Actual mind blown boom.

What an amazing game! I wish I still did drugs. I'd get off my head and right into it.

(Oh and I finished Bioshock. I thought it petered out a bit near the end and the actual ending was super abrupt. But it was an amazing environment.)

But seriously. Rez. Sploatee now has a new favourite game to go with Dark Souls and Fez. Sploatee is talking about herself in the third person. Sploatee is going now bye bye

Oh and re time - I'd go out of time. Is that an option? As in die and ascend to a super high mega spiritual plane.

And Wolf of Wall Street is 90 minutes too long. Some good set pieces but aside from that pretty forgettable.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
It wasn't that, it was your up your own arse-ness that went with it, the patronising 'you can't have seen that many films' yet with each subsequent post about films you make, it turns out you've seen fuck all.

But do enjoy catching up on the classics.
OI NOW! OO'VE YOU BEEN SAYING OY'VE BEEN UP ME OWN ARSE, BRUV!?

I hardly called it patronising much. It's just the fact that you thought it was one of the worst films you've ever seen that confused me quite a bit. I mean, it's okay if you thought it was bad, but one of the worst? I felt it was a bit of a stretch.

If I go backwards the presence of me just being there, stepping on a blade of grass or insect will change the timeline I know according to butterfly theory. In the case of the future, I can take a glimpse into the future and wander about with little repercussion. Why? Because by going back into the past with my knowledge of the future means new future takes it place. Unless the future I visit is based upon the fact that i visit the future and my new found knowledge...

Limited knowledge of space-time makes it a bad idea for any human to visit the past.

it would cause a new universe to splinter off based upon the minute difference you now caused, though your own future/past would remain intact. that's how i like to try to get my idiot head around it.
i think stephen fry said "the best time to be alive is right now, for we can imagine quite correctly how a victorian or a roman might live but they could not imagine how we live today" so yeah, i would go forward. unto the dawn!

edit: definitely going to write about bioshock tomorrow because you guys deserve it. you lucky people.

Volotaire

it would cause a new universe to splinter off based upon the minute difference you now caused, though your own future/past would remain intact. that's how i like to try to get my idiot head around it.
i think stephen fry said "the best time to be alive is right now, for we can imagine quite correctly how a victorian or a roman might live but they could not imagine how we live today" so yeah, i would go forward. unto the dawn!

edit: definitely going to write about bioshock tomorrow because you guys deserve it. you lucky people.

Yep, but there would be no way back to getting to your own universe unless there was also some way of traveling across universes :eek: But that seems like a grandfather's paradox too if the changes you make cause you to be unborn. Time travel eh!

Shy

Watching Yojimbo.

Did anyone else notice that it was on Film4 last night?
nah, i haven't watched film4 for ages. did you like it. ?
i've got yojimbo and sanjuro on criterion dvd though.
i love those films.
So I was reading about Kandinsky and then reading his 'on the spiritual in art' and thought id try Rez for a break from bang bang shoot. Put on headphones super loud And then 3 hours later I get to the end and feel like I've spent time out of mind and credits roll and it says 'dedicated to the soul of W Kandinsky'.

Actual mind blown boom.

What an amazing game! I wish I still did drugs. I'd get off my head and right into it.

(Oh and I finished Bioshock. I thought it petered out a bit near the end and the actual ending was super abrupt. But it was an amazing environment.)

But seriously. Rez. Sploatee now has a new favourite game to go with Dark Souls and Fez. Sploatee is talking about herself in the third person. Sploatee is going now bye bye
i'm glad sploatee likes REZ. it's one of shy's favorite games, shy wishes sega would port it to the PC, but they won't. :(
this refereeing to yourself in the 3RD person is addictive. :p
Oh man she's coming back for Eastenders Live week in Feb! Can't wait!
yep yep, the level of mockney accents and fuckery next month is gonna make me.
zXHfQ82.gif

8bit

Knows the Score

You did unlock Area 5, right? I think you can technically finish it without doing that.

The bit where the music breaks down to the intro of the Marlena Shaw - California Soul sample still gives me rushes. Also, there's the Trancemission bit with music by Oval.

Child of Eden is the pseudo sequel to Rez, it's not as good (Partly due to the choice of using Miz's shitty band to do all of the music), but worth a shot.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
nah, i haven't watched film4 for ages. did you like it. ?
i've got yojimbo and sanjuro on criterion dvd though.
i love those films.

i'm glad sploatee likes REZ. it's one of shy's favorite games, shy wishes sega would port it to the PC, but they won't. :(
this refereeing to yourself in the 3RD person is addictive. :p

yep yep, the level of mockney accents and fuckery next month is gonna make me.
zXHfQ82.gif

I'd like to see Ikiru before I die.

Sorry. Sploatee would like to see Ikiru.

You did unlock Area 5, right? I think you can technically finish it without doing that.

The bit where the music breaks down to the intro of the Marlena Shaw - California Soul sample still gives me rushes. Also, there's the Trancemission bit with music by Oval.

Child of Eden is the pseudo sequel to Rez, it's not as good (Partly due to the choice of using Miz's shitty band to do all of the music), but worth a shot.

It was Area 5 (with the amazing Adam Freeland music) where I became basically just a squishy mess of endorphins. I did just fail to get the good ending though. Just!

I'm really looking forward to Child of Eden. Thanks so much for sending it over, such a kind thing to do! My current "catching up" game is Mirror's Edge now that Bioshock is done. I didn't know much about it but judging by the reviews it was pretty divisive at the time. So far I like it. It's just like a racing game really. I can't wait to start on time trials.

And Wolf of Wall Street is 90 minutes too long. Some good set pieces but aside from that pretty forgettable.

Not just forgettable, it made it boring. Martin Scorsece doesn't know how to condense films properly, Gangs of New York suffered from it as well. Only his violent movies like The Departed and Goodfellas were put together without any filler.

The Wolf could have been a really great movie with good insight into the world of finance and high risk, but it didn't really get to the core of why people take such huge risks like market manipulation.

Top Bottom