• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

I strongly recommend you guys to think of a title for the Election Thread I'll have up in a month or so. I will also strongly consider your strong recommendation about that documentary.

UK General Election 2015 | Whoever wins, we all lose.
UK General Election 2015 | No you can't vote for Rage Against The Machine instead
UK General Election 2015 | Is it over yet
UK General Election 2015 | Red and yellow and pink and green purple and orange and blue and that's just the first round of debates
UK General Election 2015 | Can't organise an election in a brewery
UK General Election 2015 | RELEASE THE DIMBLEBY

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
UK General Election 2015 | No you can't vote for Rage Against The Machine instead
UK General Election 2015 | Red and yellow and pink and green purple and orange and blue and that's just the first round of debates

You're a quiet genius, Ex.

That ratm one is amazing

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
CHEEZMO™;151462046 said:
it's just an adam curtis joke m8 relax

You talking to me?

Also Cheez have you ever been to Mother's Ruin at the Contact? We're going for the first time this weekend. Queer cabaret, apparently quite adults only, usually sold out. I don't think it'll be like going to the torture garden or something (or a furry meet har har) but it looks pretty good.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
You talking to me?

Also Cheez have you ever been to Mother's Ruin at the Contact? We're going for the first time this weekend. Queer cabaret, apparently quite adults only, usually sold out. I don't think it'll be like going to the torture garden or something (or a furry meet har har) but it looks pretty good.

Naw

And no, never heard of that before.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
i'm too apathetic to have a political opinion. what is britgaf's political party of choice?

Green. Probably.

Actually hard core labour but I despise Nu Labor. Ever since Tony Bush took over after John Smith I just can't do it.

My parents still have a letter from Neil Kinnock to me when I was 5.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Resist. Urge. To. Buy. New. 3ds. Cannot. Afford. But. Want. But. Why?. Because. Vita. Dying. No. New. Interesting. Games. Like. There. Used. To. Be. Apart. From. JRPG. And. VN. Aheneofhenemslsiwbwmsosjnsmw

Edit. No. I'm going to finally teach myself Latin instead. Yes.

Nunquid latinum accipere simul 3DS parare?

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Nunquid latinum accipere simul 3DS parare?

Prius pars prima exordia primis studia. Expertus es non nisi quid tu porro larva Majora Mask, in lingua latina.

(I hope that makes sense. Google translate to the rescue!)

-

I'm really, really enjoying playing TLOU again on Survivor. Encounters become very sandbox-ey and each time I die and retry it goes differently. I am dying a lot. The multiplayer is really grabbing me too; I may have found my calling as a healer. I'm very impressed with this game (again). The first time I played it through I thought that it was good but there wasn't really a great amount of value in replaying it. How wrong I was. I'm actually quite excited for Uncharted 4 now.

I still haven't played Left Behind yet, or listened to the directors' commentary. It's a really good package. I also like that the trophies are few and difficult to get.

I'm kind of regretting the 360 now, too. I probably should've gotten a PS3. I'm not sure the 360 exclusives are for me, and I've got a hankering to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Journey. I could've also taken advantage of PS+. Still, there is Rez. Grass is greener, I guess. I also suppose Journey is coming to the PS4, and no doubt Sony will "remaster" Ico and Shadow of the Colossus given that they are their "prestige" titles.

Volotaire

I really like some of these. Thanks!

8bit

Knows the Score
I'm kind of regretting the 360 now, too. I probably should've gotten a PS3. I'm not sure the 360 exclusives are for me, and I've got a hankering to play Ico, Shadow of the Colossus and Journey. I could've also taken advantage of PS+. Still, there is Rez. Grass is greener, I guess. I also suppose Journey is coming to the PS4, and no doubt Sony will "remaster" Ico and Shadow of the Colossus given that they are their "prestige" titles.

Wasn't your choice at the time between 360 & XB1 though? Not sure I'd have gone for the PS3 if it was included TBH, XBLA has more interesting content than PS3 IMO. Other than Yakuza I'd be hard pushed to pick out other exclusives other than Katamari Forever. ICO / Shadow of the Colossus are on PS2 and you can probably get one of them for about 30 pence.

I hated ICO & Journey though, and SOTC is a bit half baked. There's a good game in there, but a lot of fiddly bullshit too.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That is the first thing you've ever said that disgusts me, 8bit.

I can understand the "unpolished" criticism for SOTC, but how can you hate Journey? I know people who found it boring or just couldn't get into it but no one that hated it. Playing Journey blind and beating it for the first time with a stranger I thought was an AI but slowly came to realize was a person is easily in my top 10 most memorable gaming experiences.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Wasn't your choice at the time between 360 & XB1 though? Not sure I'd have gone for the PS3 if it was included TBH, XBLA has more interesting content than PS3 IMO. Other than Yakuza I'd be hard pushed to pick out other exclusives other than Katamari Forever. ICO / Shadow of the Colossus are on PS2 and you can probably get one of them for about 30 pence.

I hated ICO & Journey though, and SOTC is a bit half baked. There's a good game in there, but a lot of fiddly bullshit too.

I have a terrible memory. Yes, that is true. I think I'm probably just being covetous. And fickle. No doubt tomorrow I'll post something about how the 360 is the best console ever. I have very few fixed opinions.

8bit

Knows the Score
That is the first thing you've ever said that disgusts me, 8bit.

I can understand the "unpolished" criticism for SOTC, but how can you hate Journey? I know people who found it boring or just couldn't get into it but no one that hated it. Playing Journey blind and beating it for the first time with a stranger I thought was an AI but slowly came to realize was a person is easily in my top 10 most memorable gaming experiences.

Its got more to do with Flower, I think. Journey was a such disappointing follow up, it's devoid of the joy and colour of that and went from 'this is a bit boring' to 'this is fucking shit' within 4 or so levels. Flower looked great as the levels opened up and bounced with colour while Journey remained mostly arid, over-saturated and dead. Add to this that I never met another player during my time with it and I can't agree with the overarching acclaim it received.

NinjaBoiX

Sploatee, play fucking Left Behind you fucking fuck! If you don't I'll tell the teacher and you can't come to my birthday party.

Also, Journey is one of the most emotionally affecting experiences I've ever had with a videogame, I was literally close to tears at the end. It was glorious and life affirming. I was sat, mouth agape, a single tear rolling down my cheek at the ending sequence, I very rarely get that with a game.

That is all.

The_Poet

Banned
Sploatee, play fucking Left Behind you fucking fuck! If you don't I'll tell the teacher and you can't come to my birthday party.

Also, Journey is one of the most emotionally affecting experiences I've ever had with a videogame, I was literally close to tears at the end. It was glorious and life affirming. I was sat, mouth agape, a single tear rolling down my cheek at the ending sequence, I very rarely get that with a game.

That is all.

You big softy.

Walking Dead and Gone Home had me choking up

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

That is all.

I'm going to! I'm saving it for when I finish my survivor play through!!

I cried buckets at Tearaway and at TLOU. Once TLOU got near the end it was heartwrenching.

Can't wait to play Journey!

Oh I cried at Fez too. That was a bit weird.

NinjaBoiX

anyone doing something nice for valentines day?
Reflecting on my recently failed relationship and hoping she doesn't hate me.

gYhVLZw.gif

Going out with some pals for a meal to celebrate the lovely Eilidh's birthday.

BrDzZNF.jpg

on a side note, does anyone have a spare fleshlight kicking about?
Soz.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Valentine's Day? Hmmm. I think me and the wife will stay in and glare accusingly at each other till one of us drops dead.

Did I say how great Sunless Sea is? Because it is. Great.

Reknoc

Valentine's Day? Hmmm. I think me and the wife will stay in and glare accusingly at each other till one of us drops dead.

I need to play more Sunless Sea. I went out exploring and after like a minute got assaulted by an army of crabs and barely made it back to port :(

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider

Is the title a reference to Kubla Khan? The sacred river, etc. Best poem ever. Ever.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
YES YESSSSSS

how one man talking over unconnected bits of stock footage can be so very, very evocative i don't know.

The Century of the Self is incredible. All of his work is a wonderful sci-fi dystopian experience. I think the delivery actually harms the message (Which is usually a little contrived anyway) by biasing thetone but an incredible experience.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
YES YESSSSSS

how one man talking over unconnected bits of stock footage can be so very, very evocative i don't know.

It's weirdly relaxing and terrifying at the same time. Do you keep up with his blog?

I was playing Far Cry 2 at the time. Learning about Coltan and realising how it funded the Congolese Civil War another couple of decades was one kind of horrific, playing a simulation of said war on a machine that likely uses Coltan almost broke my brain.

The Century of the Self is incredible. All of his work is a wonderful sci-fi dystopian experience. I think the delivery actually harms the message (Which is usually a little contrived anyway) by biasing the tone but an incredible experience.

I expect them to be biased. They're opinion pieces. He's never said otherwise. It's one of the things I like about him! :)

I need to play more Sunless Sea. I went out exploring and after like a minute got assaulted by an army of crabs and barely made it back to port :(

That's why I love it! Much like an Adam Curtis documentary, it's weirdly relaxing and terrifying at the same time.

Is the title a reference to Kubla Khan? The sacred river, etc. Best poem ever. Ever.

Yes. Yes it is. Love a bit of Coleridge.

I think you might like Sunless Sea. It's a slow burner, utterly unforgiving, has a great and vivid world to explore, and is drenched in a thick, oppressive atmosphere.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's weirdly relaxing and terrifying at the same time.

I was playing Far Cry 2 at the time. Learning about Coltan and realising how it funded the Congolese Civil War another couple of decades was one kind of horrific, playing a simulation of said war on a machine that likely uses Coltan almost broke my brain.

That's why I love it! Much like an Adam Curtis documentary, it's weirdly relaxing and terrifying at the same time.

Yes. Yes it is. Love a bit of Coleridge.

I think you might like Sunless Sea. It's a slow burner, utterly unforgiving, has a great and vivid world to explore, and is drenched in a thick, oppressive atmosphere.

I think I would too. I just need a console version.

Adore Coleridge. Much prefer him to Wordsworth. His imagery is so vibrant and there's always this really sad personal subtext to everything. In fact, prefer him to Keats, Byron, the lot of them.

anyone doing something nice for valentines day?

on a side note, does anyone have a spare fleshlight kicking about?

partner and i don't really care for valentine's. we're generally poor and prefer getting a take away or something instead of gifts etc.

i DO have a great fleshlight anecdote for you all though. you'll have to wait until i get to a keyboard, mind.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
partner and i don't really care for valentine's. we're generally poor and prefer getting a take away or something instead of gifts etc.

i DO have a great fleshlight anecdote for you all though. you'll have to wait until i get to a keyboard, mind.

That reminds me. With E's physical state being a bit better these days and my mental state being pretty OK, would there be an appetite for a night out for Manc GAF? I know I mentioned everyone coming to ours but it's proving to be a bit of a bugger to arrange.

Cheez, Ninj, Steve, anyone else...fancy it? Plus if we go somewhere public it's easier to be socially awkward and/or make a quick exit if you get scared by how obnoxious we all are.

That reminds me. With E's physical state being a bit better these days and my mental state being pretty OK, would there be an appetite for a night out for Manc GAF? I know I mentioned everyone coming to ours but it's proving to be a bit of a bugger to arrange.

Cheez, Ninj, Steve, anyone else...fancy it? Plus if we go somewhere public it's easier to be socially awkward and/or make a quick exit if you get scared by how obnoxious we all are.

oh god no.
and by no i mean maybe.

NinjaBoiX

I'm in. I'm going to see the new manager at Mint Lounge about just doing Saturdays so I get some of my life back! Hate having just a Sunday as my weekend, sucks balls. So I should be able to make this as long as it isn't a Saturday night.

This weekend is no good though, at work Friday and Saturday night then out all day with Eilidh and them on Sunday.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I'm in. I'm going to see the new manager at Mint Lounge about just doing Saturdays so I get some of my life back! Hate having just a Sunday as my weekend, sucks balls. So I should be able to make this as long as it isn't a Saturday night.

This weekend is no good though, at work Friday and Saturday night then out all day with Eilidh and them on Sunday.

can we do it on a saturday? particularly this saturday?

Saturdays are good. This Saturday is not.
But good good I like the enthusiasm!
I'M BACK!!!

Did you miss me?

UK General Election 2015 | Britain's next top wanker

Who are you?

ho ho ho

NinjaBoiX

Saturdays are good. This Saturday is not.
But good good I like the enthusiasm!
Actually, now I think about it Saturdays could be spot on if we're talking about going for a meal then a few drinks or something. I start at 10pm so that could work out just right.

Welcome back Skele7on

The Century of the Self is incredible. All of his work is a wonderful sci-fi dystopian experience. I think the delivery actually harms the message (Which is usually a little contrived anyway) by biasing the tone but an incredible experience.

This is my slight issue with his work.

The narration, the use of the footage and the soundtrack come together to heavily lead you one way. Say for example, you're introduced to a new person, a banker or a politician say, and you get a piece of "scary" discordant music playing, you're naturally not going to think well of the person.

Because I'm slightly aware I'm being pushed this way, I don't 100% trust the rest of the film. Did Ayn Rand's philosophy and fanclub really have that much influence on Bill Clinton? Or is Curtis connecting very distant dots?

Regardless, they are interesting to watch.

Son Of D

I had to go to the Saatchi for university today and I saw some questionable things. I know it's an art gallery and pretty much anything can be art these days but sheesh. Some of these things aren't even safe to post here because of their, quite frankly, disgusting imagery.

Top Bottom