• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

Reknoc

I got as far as Mort and stopped for no other reason than those were the three books I had. Excellent reading, though. There's enough imagination in those first two Rincewind books for a hundred more books, let alone what I'm sure the others introduced.

The Hogfather adaptation is amazing too.

I really liked all of Sky's adaptions honestly, sad that they still haven't done any of the Vimes ones :(

Need to catch up with Discworld aatually, still got Unseen Academicals unread.

Hell yeah. Very different writers, of course. Been years since I read any but I love the Brentford Triangle stuff. Poole and O'Malley are classic.

I knew if there was one person in BritGAF who'd read his stuff it would be you. There must be a good twelve or more books in the Brentford Trilogy.

NinjaBoiX

Oh, I forgot a few Manc recommendations:

The Courtyard (super cheap, fit students)
Big Hands (a bit shit, but in a good way)
Deaf Institute (great music)
Zoo/The Bar (Air Hockey!)
Black Dog Ballroom (great food)
Corbieres (best jukebox in Manchester)
Gullivers (no nonsense pub, good gigs)
Mint Lounge (I work there innit)
Sankeys (class night out)
Mojo's (open super late, full of hot barmaids)
If the Temple of Convenience is the temple it's amazing. The one straight bar where i don't feel frightened of all the cis hets. It's in a toilet too!
Hence the name!

Fantastic art in the bogs too, not even joking.

The first Pratchett books I read were Truckers, Diggers and Wings. Didn't get into Discworld until a bit later. And the first Discworld book I read was the graphic novel of The Colour of Magic, which was excellent. I've not read them all but a good majority. Mike's suggestions are all spot on.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I knew if there was one person in BritGAF who'd read his stuff it would be you. There must be a good twelve or more books in the Brentford Trilogy.

Haha! Not sure how to take that. ;)

I think the last one I read was Brentford Chainstore Massacre. Book five, I think. Is he still going?

Haha! Not sure how to take that. ;)

I think the last one I read was Brentford Chainstore Massacre. Book five, I think. Is he still going?

Yeah the guy is ridiculously prolific, his most recent, titled "The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Foul and Filthy Fiends" came out in 2013. I've probably read just over half of his books. He loves his running gags and recurring characters, though having Sherlock Holmes, Winston Churchill and Elvis pop up gets a little old after a while . Did you ever read the ones that feature Hugo Rune? Those are some of his best by far, The Brightonomicon and Retromancer are more recent and better than most, definitely worth a read.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the guy is ridiculously prolific, his most recent, titled "The Chickens of Atlantis and Other Foul and Filthy Fiends" came out in 2013. I've probably read just over half of his books. He loves his running gags and recurring characters, though having Sherlock Holmes, Winston Churchill and Elvis pop up gets a little old after a while . Did you ever read the ones that feature Hugo Rune? Those are some of his best by far, The Brightonomicon and Retromancer are more recent and better than most, definitely worth a read.

Yeah, a couple of the Cornelius Murphy books: Raiders of the Lost Car Park and The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived. I think I read one of the Armageddons, too (no Hugo, but amusing nonetheless). L. Ron Hubbard, Elvis, and a crafty bathtime wank, spring to mind.

I'll check those two out, man. You know, once I've got my hands on The Man Who Would Be Thursday. :)

I really liked all of Sky's adaptions honestly, sad that they still haven't done any of the Vimes ones :(

Need to catch up with Discworld aatually, still got Unseen Academicals unread.

Apparently the point-and-click games are quite good? Those always sounded interesting.

One of the old demo discs that came bundled with the PSOne had a Discworld demo on it. I played it repeatedly for hours on end. I never actually played the full game.

Me too. Is the full game not really expensive these days? It's filed away in my mind with stuff like Kula World as "demos I really liked of games that had about ten copies printed and cost too much on eBay."

Symphonia

Banned
Me too. Is the full game not really expensive these days? It's filed away in my mind with stuff like Kula World as "demos I really liked of games that had about ten copies printed and cost too much on eBay."
Kula World was the one with the beach ball, correct? I loved that one, too, such a nice little puzzle game. There was also another one where you played as a cube and had to navigate the other cubes coming towards you. There was also Hercules, some fire-fighting game, and a ton of Net Yaroze games. I may just have to hit eBay to find a PSOne and these games.

Kula World was the one with the beach ball, correct? I loved that one, too, such a nice little puzzle game. There was also another one where you played as a cube and had to navigate the other cubes coming towards you. There was also Hercules, some fire-fighting game, and a ton of Net Yaroze games. I may just have to hit eBay to find a PSOne and these games.

Sounds like Kurushi and Rosco McQueen, to me. And yeah, Kula World was the one with the beach ball. Apparently it's on PSN these days so it'd only be a couple of quid, it's just that my PSN account is set up for the US and it's not up there. Arse.

I still have that demo disk somewhere that had a collection of Yaroze games on it, like fifteen of them or something, that issue of OPM was probably the best five quid I ever spent on my PSone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38FdI8k9zqc

How many do you remember?

banofypie

Banned
what's the protocol on sending someone a picture of your dick is there specific lighting i need to do or what

didn't know who else to ask

what's the protocol on sending someone a picture of your dick is there specific lighting i need to do or what

I don't really know all the specifics, but the one point I am sure of is that you're supposed to include a fifty pence piece for scale. Other coins work as well if you haven't got a 50p to hand.

Yeah, a couple of the Cornelius Murphy books: Raiders of the Lost Car Park and The Most Amazing Man Who Ever Lived. I think I read one of the Armageddons, too (no Hugo, but amusing nonetheless). L. Ron Hubbard, Elvis, and a crafty bathtime wank, spring to mind.

I'll check those two out, man. You know, once I've got my hands on The Man Who Would Be Thursday. :)

My, you have a good memory!

When did I last mention that?

Definitely read that one, the Rankin books can wait.

NinjaBoiX

RhlVgmk.gif

I think I've watched this about 30 times, it's basically perfect slapstick comedy.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Shameless self-promotion:

My band, the semi-listenable one called wiremother, have put up the first EP to the mercies of the foul interweb.

It's angular, shouty, obnoxious, angst-core bollocks produced by 30+ year old men desperately trying to relive their 90s yoot. If that sounds like your cup of darjeeling, it's probably time to grow up.

Symphonia

Banned
Just bought Injustice Ultimate Edition for PS4 for £16.50 from the PS Store. Never played it first time round, so quite looking forward to it.

Just bought Injustice Ultimate Edition for PS4 for £16.50 from the PS Store. Never played it first time round, so quite looking forward to it.

Think you missed the boat slightly there matey. There's still a fair amount of people online but you could have got it cheaper months ago or for nothing at all on PS+ less months than that.

It's pretty good. Same people made Mortal Kombat 9 though I'd say that's a better game. Since MK9 Netherealm Studios have been the ones that really excel at single player content, with big story modes and lots of extras. Really looking forward to the new Mortal Kombat.

-

Just watched Boyhood. I don't know if it's something that all guys experience when they watch it but some of it is uncomfortably familiar. Ye of the broken homes should understand. Beyond that it's just a story that most people probably identify with one way or another. It has that slight aspirational streak going through it that makes you feel like you haven't fully lived as much as a fictional 15 year old though I think that applies to all media. Supposedly a big source of depression for kids these days is looking at other people's photo albums on facebook. "These guys look so happy on their holiday why can't I be like that?" etc. Almost everyone smiles for photos and those pictures of people in Goa or Tenerife are just snapshots of a second that don't incorporate those airport argument or worries about money and so on.

Surprise! My movie review is a downer in disguise, bwahahahaboohoo

Top Bottom