• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

NinjaBoiX

So, my only foray into Souls was Dark Souls and I couldn't quite gel with it at the time.
Is there any point in investigating Bloodborne?
It sounds like there are a number of changes to the formula to speed up play and encourage proactive strategies so I'd definitely say it's worth a go even if you didn't dig the previous games.

- movement is faster and your dodge more nimble

- there are very few shields available to discourage turtling

- enemies attack in larger groups

- your left hand weapon is designed to be armed with a ranged weapon

- said weapon can be used to "countershot" in a similar manner to parrying with a shield

- when you get damaged a section of your health bar is coloured orange and slowly bleeds away, but can be regained with successive attacks to encourage a more attacking style of play

- your lost souls upon death can now be eaten by nearby enemies who's eyes will glow white, they must be dispatched to regain your souls

- weapons now have chargeable attacks as well as strong and weak attacks

- weapons can often be switched between two different forms to broaden attack possibilities

- *loads more changes that I can't think of right now*

It sounds pretty damn good like!

There's an impressions thread for further details if you're interested.

banofypie

Banned
It's going to be difficult going not having the time to get a Ps4 until May. Hopefully Yarnham waits for me and the Internet doesn't ruin it for me.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I've actually pre ordered BB. Mainly to make sure I get the art book. I love From's art design. I probably won't play it for a while though, there are other games I'd like to play first.

Also it comes out the Friday before the meet.

The_Poet

Banned
Looking forward to getting back in the gym today after a month out with a hand injury
those chickens weren't gonna spank themselves

Also thoroughly enjoying random playlists on spotify, there's some good music out there, who knew?

8bit

Knows the Score
Oh, that reminds me, I have a copy of the Dark Souls artbook if anyone wants it. No idea where the game is though.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
my mood can be summed up with 'meh'. i need a new job but i am an habitual procrastinator so yeah... maybe one day!

You can do it! Sending positive energy over to you.

Looking forward to getting back in the gym today after a month out with a hand injury
those chickens weren't gonna spank themselves

Also thoroughly enjoying random playlists on spotify, there's some good music out there, who knew?

I'm really, really loving D'Angelo's Black Messiah. If you're open minded I'd really recommend it. Don't let the 'R&B' label put you off - it's this amazing heavy, heavy funk/soul album. It sounds a bit like There's A Riot Going On crossed with a bit of Prince and amazing drumming by Questlove.

I think I'll have to self ban myself once I'm done with the UK Election PoliGAF thread. E3 can be a big distraction for me.

You must do what you feel is right. I've made a pact to post far less in this thread.

Volotaire

You must do what you feel is right. I've made a pact to post far less in this thread.

I feel the alluring power of E3 rumours, discussions and making threads is greater than any preventative self pact I can mentally create and sustain. A self ban for about 3 months will hopefully help mitigate the chance of procrastination.

Especially with the new Zelda U release this year, rumours and speculation will be rife.

I feel the alluring power of E3 rumours, discussions and making threads is greater than any preventative self pact I can mentally create and sustain. A self ban for about 3 months will hopefully help mitigate the chance of procrastination.

Especially with the new Zelda U release this year, rumours and speculation will be rife.

I don't even know how you do E3 on NeoGAF. In the moments the forum works, there are about five new pages in every E3 thread by the time you've typed a post out.

Volotaire

I don't even know how you do E3 on NeoGAF. In the moments the forum works, there are about five new pages in every E3 thread by the time you've typed a post out.

Last year was quite stable relative to previous years. It's not just the E3 present threads, it's creating new threads and posting in the week before, the fantastic GB aftershows in the GB community thread and the gameplay shown later in the week.

First day at new job today.

The change from rolling lazily out of bed at 2 in the afternoon to shivering at a bus stop at 8 in the morning is quite a shock to the system. As a result my eyes are baggier than Hammer's trousers and I was desperately trying to contain yawns while I was having my induction and initial training today.

Still, it seems like it could be a cool place to work. For once I actually have 6 or 7 people my age I'll be working with directly which is a nice change to labouring a midst the middle-aged. The work itself looks like it'll be repetative but engaging enough. I'm still not keen on the "hi you've reached bla my name is daps how can I help?" spiel, I'm not fond of phone conversations. Too many painfully awkward phone calls at Christmas to decaying relatives.

However lurking over people's shoulders and listening in as they take calls is quite interesting and educational. Anonymously monitoring conversations for GCHQ would be my dream job but I'll take things one step at a time.

Vashetti

Banned
Forgot to tell you guys I lost my job after I got suspended. Just been meandering around for the last week or so, stuck in a depression.

Forgot to tell you guys I lost my job after I got suspended. Just been meandering around for the last week or so, stuck in a depression.

Damn, I didn't read anything to the contrary so I assumed things had resolved nicely!
You have to get back on the metaphorical horse. Sharpen up your c.v. and get back out there. You can do it! Believe!

NinjaBoiX

I wouldn't be too upset mane, it was only an entry level retail position, they're ten a penny.

Get back out there and find another!
That's ridiculously harsh. Did you have problems beforehand?
It's really not. The facts are that he wasn't eligible for bereavement leave and didn't either book a holiday or get someone to cover his shift. He went AWOL, which is usually deemed gross misconduct and therfore a sackable offence.

It's unfortunate, sure, but "ridiculously harsh" it certainly isn't.

It's really not. The facts are that he wasn't eligible for bereavement leave and didn't either book a holiday or get someone to cover his shift. He went AWOL, which is usually deemed gross misconduct and therfore a sackable offence.

It's unfortunate, sure, but "ridiculously harsh" it certainly isn't.

I would say it's harsh. Definitely worth a written warning, obviously, but a sacking? Unless it's a second/third offence, or it came during a probation period, it just seems an over the top response to something that should have been dealt with with a bit more care.

Mikeside

I would say it's harsh. Definitely worth a written warning, obviously, but a sacking? Unless it's a second/third offence, or it came during a probation period, it just seems an over the top response to something that should have been dealt with with a bit more care.

It's definitely a bit harsh for a first offence. I did the same to go on a lads holiday and Safeway never sacked me

NinjaBoiX

Two people in the last two months have been sacked from Mint Lounge for similar, I've been sacked in the past for similar, it's pretty much par for the course.

I guess I can see how someone might see it as a little harsh, but "ridiculously" harsh is daft. If he was beside himself with grief having lost his own mother and literally couldn't face being at work then fair enough, but he chose to stay at home because he thought his boyfriend could deal with being alone for a few hours.

Perhaps understandable, possibly even admirable, but unfortunately not a valid reason to be absent without leave in their eyes.

That's life innit.

banofypie

Banned
Yeah, supermarkets will do that to people who try to climb up the ladder for better positions only to immediately show disregard for the company itself by taking unannounced leave.

The_Poet

Banned
I'm really, really loving D'Angelo's Black Messiah. If you're open minded I'd really recommend it. Don't let the 'R&B' label put you off - it's this amazing heavy, heavy funk/soul album. It sounds a bit like There's A Riot Going On crossed with a bit of Prince and amazing drumming by Questlove.

Gave it a quick listen, not really my cup of tea. I do like the energy it has though.

First day at new job today.

The change from rolling lazily out of bed at 2 in the afternoon to shivering at a bus stop at 8 in the morning is quite a shock to the system. As a result my eyes are baggier than Hammer's trousers and I was desperately trying to contain yawns while I was having my induction and initial training today.

Still, it seems like it could be a cool place to work. For once I actually have 6 or 7 people my age I'll be working with directly which is a nice change to labouring a midst the middle-aged. The work itself looks like it'll be repetative but engaging enough. I'm still not keen on the "hi you've reached bla my name is daps how can I help?" spiel, I'm not fond of phone conversations. Too many painfully awkward phone calls at Christmas to decaying relatives.

However lurking over people's shoulders and listening in as they take calls is quite interesting and educational. Anonymously monitoring conversations for GCHQ would be my dream job but I'll take things one step at a time.

That's what I like about where I am too, a few people my age to joke about with. I was sick of hearing about peoples kids in my old job.

The phone call stuff will not be missed either, I hated that shit. Are you support for internal or external customers?

That's what I like about where I am too, a few people my age to joke about with. I was sick of hearing about peoples kids in my old job.

The phone call stuff will not be missed either, I hated that shit. Are you support for internal or external customers?

I'll be taking calls from staff in stores who are having problems with tills, card machines, routers etc. I asked and yes, apparently the old "turn it off and on again" is a popular solution to many problems.

But it's good, I was already having a bit of a joke here and there with my new colleagues and they all hit the pub after Friday, which ist sehr gut.

Vashetti

Banned
Yeah, supermarkets will do that to people who try to climb up the ladder for better positions only to immediately show disregard for the company itself by taking unannounced leave.

I think disregard is the wrong word. Yes, I agree I was AWOL, but I still cared about my job and wanted to keep it, which I explained when I went for my meeting after being suspended.

My (ex)manager agreed and said my work ethic was fantastic. He said the reason he had to fire me was because obviously I didn't show up for my shift, but also because I didn't phone him back afterwards, which he said was disrespectful. He said he would have felt better even if I had phoned in and just said I would not be coming in.

He did say he would give me a great reference for my CV.

Ultimately, in that moment prior to not going in, I couldn't find cover, I wasn't going to go in and leave my partner in such a state on the day he was burying his mother. I was a mess too.

I chose my partner over my job, and I would do so again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Also thumbs up to Ninj for explaining all that above.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Well if his old manager is going to write a good reference for Vash, it shouldn't be too problematic.

I think it was fair that he was fired but also that you did the right thing under the circumstances.

8bit

Knows the Score
You fucked up. It happens. Dust yourself off, get up and get applying for other jobs. Not to belittle your role, but it sounded pretty basic and there will be something else out there at the same level. Being sacked isn't fun but learn from it and figure out how to respond when someone asks why you're no longer employed.
I was fired when one of my peers decided to initiate a power struggle and pushed me to the curb for vague reasons but I'm now in a more senior position than she is these days. Frame it positively and don't blame anyone, just chalk it up to an error of judgement.
Everyone makes mistakes, not everyone learns from them.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I haven't checked community in a while and can't find the footie thread? Am i being daft or has something happened haha

There has been a moratorium placed on football topics (MLS isn't football so that stays) that lasts for three months (maybe two now) due to .... complaining about mods openly due to the banning of a prominent member. They've moved elsewhere...

Volotaire

Tennis is engrossing. Apart from tennis in Wimbledon season and some major athletics events, I'm not into other sports. Playing badminton is fun too.

Hobohodo

Haha, yeah you do have a better castle. I'm from Cwmbran, I tell people I'm from near Newport if they don't know Wales well.

Such is the curse of living in towns next to the cities.
Nah it's better really.

I was AWOL on New Year's Day a few years back, didn't realise I was meant to be in. Thankfully no sane person would be buying games that day so it wasn't too bad.

Top Bottom