• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

NinjaBoiX

"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others."

- Groucho Marx

xPQWtc5.jpg

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
"The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."

- Groucho Marx

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

"There ain't no such thing as left over crack."

...uh...

banofypie

Banned
"There are only two things I can't tolerate in this world: people who are intolerant of other cultures, and the Dutch." - Michael Caine

The_Poet

Banned
Finished Far Cry 4 yesterday.

Towards the end it does something I wish a lot more games would do;

I was starting to get a bit bored with it and just wanted to see the story through, which happens to me for a lot of games. Far Cry gets around this by giving you an insanely over powered weapon about 2 hours from the end, allowing you to blast through to the end with relative ease, while still having cool set pieces and being interesting enough with its missions that its not trivial. It really nailed home the final stretch for me and it was great fun mowing down everything down, whereas before you would have to be more careful.

Too many open world games give you the overpowered stuff after you've finished for NG+, and who bothers with that crap?

Anyway, its a good game with great co-op.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Finished Far Cry 4 yesterday.

Towards the end it does something I wish a lot more games would do;

I was starting to get a bit bored with it and just wanted to see the story through, which happens to me for a lot of games. Far Cry gets around this by giving you an insanely over powered weapon about 2 hours from the end, allowing you to blast through to the end with relative ease, while still having cool set pieces and being interesting enough with its missions that its not trivial. It really nailed home the final stretch for me and it was great fun mowing down everything down, whereas before you would have to be more careful.

Too many open world games give you the overpowered stuff after you've finished for NG+, and who bothers with that crap?

Anyway, its a good game with great co-op.

I have some questions!

Is the story typical video game fodder?

And is the open world a Ubisoft special (ie pointless busy work as you move to a "go here!" Icon on a map and do something without challenge in order to increase some stat which you don't really need anyway)?

The Far Cry games seem to get good reviews, so I'm curious whether I'll enjoy or it'll just make me bitter.

Reknoc

I have some questions!

And is the open world a Ubisoft special (ie pointless busy work as you move to a "go here!" Icon on a map and do something without challenge in order to increase some stat which you don't really need anyway)?

The Far Cry games seem to get good reviews, so I'm curious whether I'll enjoy or it'll just make me bitter.

It's an Ubisoft game, have you played AssCreed/WatchDogs/Naruto? Then you already know the answer to those (yes and yes respectively). I really like Far Cry though. I find the gunplay is surprisingly satisfying and it feels like it does stealth and climbing shit way better than Ubisofts series about stealth and climbing shit. I've really enjoyed the settings of the 3 Ubi Far Crys as well.

I think the story might actually be worse in this series though, because there's some really good stuff there and it doesn't do shit with them (Pagan Min and Baas) and Far Cry 3 is even more off putting because all the characters it does focus on are fucking awful. I spent all of my time in Far Cry 3 wishing all of the good guys died.

Mikeside

the story is bullshit and it suffers from the tower climbing thing all Ubisoft games have decided to include for some reason, but playing with the gadgets and shooting people is fun in it.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
It's an Ubisoft game, have you played AssCreed/WatchDogs/Naruto? Then you already know the answer to those (yes and yes respectively). I really like Far Cry though. I find the gunplay is surprisingly satisfying and it feels like it does stealth and climbing shit way better than Ubisofts series about stealth and climbing shit. I've really enjoyed the settings of the 3 Ubi Far Crys as well.

I think the story might actually be worse in this series though, because there's some really good stuff there and it doesn't do shit with them (Pagan Min and Baas) and Far Cry 3 is even more off putting because all the characters it does focus on are fucking awful. I spent all of my time in Far Cry 3 wishing all of the good guys died.

the story is bullshit and it suffers from the tower climbing thing all Ubisoft games have decided to include for some reason, but playing with the gadgets and shooting people is fun in it.

Sounds like it's definitely not for me then. As I've mentioned a thousand times, playing AC4 was a horrible experience.

I wish more indie games came out on the consoles. By indie games I mean very specifically the indie games I want to play!

Not that it's particularly interesting to folks but I'm replaying Flower a lot at the moment, I think it's so wonderful.

Edit : it's very difficult being so quiet at work. I've helped win a few new clients but everything is coming through so slowly. I'm the kind of person who always needs something to keep me active - I'm not really a sit still kind of person (it's why I struggle watching most TV - I'm not good at passive consumption) - so it's really difficult. I'm not gonna stinky up the thread and all that, but blimey I can feel the repeated GAF checking starting to kick in again. Grumble grumble.

The_Poet

Banned
I have some questions!

You can blast through the main story in about 10 hours, the 'busy work' is all extra to unlock some guns but not necessary.

The main campaign was actually pretty varied with its missions and its a very good stealth game in its own right, works a lot better then those crap AC4 stealth missions and you have a lot more tools at your disposal to go about things anyway you want.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after having the same reservations about the 'typical ubisoft bullshit' that gets bounded about.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
You can blast through the main story in about 10 hours, the 'busy work' is all extra to unlock some guns but not necessary.

The main campaign was actually pretty varied with its missions and its a very good stealth game in its own right, works a lot better then those crap AC4 stealth missions and you have a lot more tools at your disposal to go about things anyway you want.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed it after having the same reservations about the 'typical ubisoft bullshit' that gets bounded about.

It does sound like a step up, but I can imagine the plot just really winding me up. Maybe if I see it cheap somewhere...

i'll tell you a good game you should try: dark souls

Har har! I'm giving DS2 a miss, I think. There's still loads for me to explore and do in DS1, and with Bloodborne out soon I just don't see the point.

Edit- there's an artist called Tim Youds who has set up in Central Library and is typing out A Clockwork Orange word for word on the typewriter Burgess used. He's doing a tour of 100 books - has included typing out things on Brooklyn sidewalks, typing out Bukowski's Post Office in a ten day marathon in the parking lot of the actual P O where Bukowski worked and so on. Really fascinating - I gave him a bit of a grilling and he said that there was both a visual element ie the visual impact of boxes of black type on white rectangles and the more devotional aspect of the incredibly close reading that typing out the novel word for word engenders. He said that whenever he zones out he stretches and takes a break so he can focus again.

There you go. Thought you might find that interesting.

8bit

Knows the Score
Sounds like it's definitely not for me then. As I've mentioned a thousand times, playing AC4 was a horrible experience.

I wish more indie games came out on the consoles. By indie games I mean very specifically the indie games I want to play!

Not that it's particularly interesting to folks but I'm replaying Flower a lot at the moment, I think it's so wonderful.

Edit : it's very difficult being so quiet at work. I've helped win a few new clients but everything is coming through so slowly. I'm the kind of person who always needs something to keep me active - I'm not really a sit still kind of person (it's why I struggle watching most TV - I'm not good at passive consumption) - so it's really difficult. I'm not gonna stinky up the thread and all that, but blimey I can feel the repeated GAF checking starting to kick in again. Grumble grumble.

I loved Flower.

Why don't you get a small PC with HDMI out to stick under the telly for indie games? I can't imagine something like This War of Mine making it to consoles but it is a great game that more people should be able to play.

Tennis is engrossing. Apart from tennis in Wimbledon season and some major athletics events, I'm not into other sports. Playing badminton is fun too.

Playing badminton is the best, even though I haven't for years. Rallying in a park on a nice summers day is one of life's greatest pleasures.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.

Yeah I hate the AC series (have done since 1) but Far Cry 4 was really strong. It looks gorgeous, actually features genuinely interesting regions of the world (and a non white protagonist!) and the gameplay systems work well.

NinjaBoiX

Working Itchy Feet at Mint tonight. That means floppy haired toffs and spoilt rich girls buying strawberry daiquiris on daddy's credit card while dancing the charleston. It's a wierd crowd but the music is decent and it's usually a good laugh.

Just booked tickets for Lucy Rose at Gorilla next Tuesday, been meaning to see her live for ages, excite!
There's an artist called Tim Youds who has set up in Central Library and is typing out A Clockwork Orange word for word on the typewriter Burgess used. He's doing a tour of 100 books - has included typing out things on Brooklyn sidewalks, typing out Bukowski's Post Office in a ten day marathon in the parking lot of the actual P O where Bukowski worked and so on.
IJcD08m.jpg

I really don't get art sometimes, this seems like an entirely pointless exercise resulting in nothing of any real merit or artistic achievement.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I loved Flower.

Why don't you get a small PC with HDMI out to stick under the telly for indie games? I can't imagine something like This War of Mine making it to consoles but it is a great game that more people should be able to play.

Flower is just beautiful. I love the way the tiny details add up to make this sensuous (perhaps too fruity a word), almost tactile experience. It's so joyful. I don't know if Journey is a better 'game' but I think thatgamecompany are very much in tune with what I'd like from 'games'.

I thought about that, but I just don't feel right gaming on a PC. I might crack one day, but whenever I try it it just feels wrong. I know that I'm really missing out though.

Working Itchy Feet at Mint tonight. That means floppy haired toffs and spoilt rich girls buying strawberry daiquiris on daddy's credit card while dancing the charleston. It's a wierd crowd but the music is decent and it's usually a good laugh.

Just booked tickets for Lucy Rose at Gorilla next Tuesday, been meaning to see her live for ages, excite!

IJcD08m.jpg

I really don't get art sometimes, this seems like an entirely pointless exercise resulting in nothing of any real merit or artistic achievement.

You remind me of Emma so much sometimes! I know she's not a member here but she does sometimes nosey the thread and generally agrees with your worldview.

I don't know how to respond really, art is a really subjective and personal thing. I guess if you don't connect to what he's trying to do, I can't really put forward any arguments or 'evidence' for it being objectively great. It's just taste, isn't it? I really love performance art and anything which approaches text and print as a visual art. What I've just said might read as pretentious gibberish, I don't know. It's just who I am and what I like.

Merit's a really sticky concept too. There isn't really an ultimate arbiter of what's valuable in art. You have the market, which is just rich people playing games, and then you have the curators and the canon. I just think the term 'art' is way too loaded and narrow and people too often construe it as only referring to a technically accomplished painting or sculpture, which to me is a very reductive (and often quite conservative) take which puts too much emphasis on production and technique. for me, art is about the play of ideas and concepts, I like the Renaissance masters and other painters of pretty pictures, but I get more from someone who looks at the world in their own unique way.

NinjaBoiX

I just like "art" in the purest sense; nice drawings/paintings/photographs or impressive sculptures/architecture/etc. For me to be engaged with and appreciate it I have to find it both aesthetically pleasing and display at least a modicum of talent and/or originally.

I find a lot of performance art to be creatively bankrupt hokum quite honestly.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I just like "art" in the purest sense; nice drawings/paintings/photographs or impressive sculptures/architecture/etc. For me to be engaged with and appreciate it I have to find it both aesthetically pleasing and display at least a modicum of talent and/or originally.

I find a lot of performance art to be creatively bankrupt hokum quite honestly.

I edited, sorry. I really disagree with you quite passionately! I'd definitely question your use of 'pure'. I'd say 'narrow'. Art in its purest sense is just pure expression dating all the way back to cave paintings.

I think your definition of art really starts in the elevation of art by wealthy institutions - it's kind of tied up with patronage, royalty, religion and wealth.

It's kind of appropriate that the wealthiest narrative is the one that has staked out the greatest cultural space.

I find art that tries to shock while making a statement quite boring. A lot of the Banksy stuff people in my sixth form thought was cutting edge just struck me as low hanging fruit.

I'd rather look at a good Turner.

Top Bottom