• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BritGAF |OT6| Dark Souls? More like Arse Holes

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I find art that tries to shock while making a statement quite boring. A lot of the Banksy stuff people in my sixth form thought was cutting edge just struck me as low hanging fruit.

I'd rather look at a good Turner.

Didn't we have a super involved discussion about this when drunk in Manc? I vaguely remember sitting outside.

I guess you don't like Piss Christ then?

Also, while I've broken my pact not to post here too much anymore - Meat your band is amazing.

HERE'S SOME REAL FUCKING ART YOU ARTFUCKS:

Lordran_large.0.png

PUT THAT IN YOUR ARTPIPE

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
HERE'S SOME REAL FUCKING ART YOU ARTFUCKS:

PUT THAT IN YOUR ARTPIPE

I understand this reference!

Ok now I'm going back into hiding!

Edit - and I've just said hello to Jeanette Winterson! In the little waitrose near the station!

Seriously, I know that a lot of you are queer women or gender questioning, so I'll just say that Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit and The Passion could change your life. Owen I think you'd love them :p

Ok bye I'll let you get back to the standard.

Didn't we have a super involved discussion about this when drunk in Manc? I vaguely remember sitting outside.

I guess you don't like Piss Christ then?

Also, while I've broken my pact not to post here too much anymore - Meat your band is amazing.

Yes we did, you talked to me for a while about Marcel Duchamp though it was me who brought up art, specifically so I could try pushing your buttons by disagreeing with you. Piss Christ isn't even that "shocking", again seems like an opportunist shot at a religion no one feels bad about mocking. If the guy had submerged a Koran in piss it would be too far and risking reprisals, if the artist had wiped his arse with the Torah it would be anti-semitic. Piss Christ is shocking but safe. I'll never see any merit in the tin of Artist's Shit.

I think what I find annoying about some of this post-modern chin scratchy stuff (shocking or not) is that it seems focused on social statements that are overwhelmingly negative. If you've got a picture of say, a highway at night, all the cars going one way. Now you could look at that picture and with subtle tweaks to the design say "wow, this must be some kind of society, look at all these people who can afford motor vehicles, these people must live in a wealthy culture with strong industry and infrastructure." But of course, that isn't sexy.

What's sexy it seems is to effect that design so that you look at it and go "Oh look at these people trapped in their cars, they're like ants! Going to and from work, earning money so they can buy things they don't need to distract from the hollowness of their lives!" That'll elicit some "booyas" and "yazoos" or whatever young art students say these days. I guess what I'm getting at is that I find the relentless pessimism of "statement" art quite tiresome. Artists should cheer the fuck up and stop being so jaded and cynical.

I have no idea what to make of this

That I am enigmatic and illustrious and you wish you were as majestic as me.

Qasiel

Isn't bad?? Benito's Hat do the best burritos in London in my opinion, I've not found anything better.

Wrap it up isn't bad, neither is Tortilla. Flying Burrito isn't great and Chipotle is meh.

I fucking love burritos.

Well, I don't usually eat burritos and when I do it's at Benito's Hat so I don't really have much else for comparison!

But it's cute. It's like Subway for Mexican lunch food.

Film4 have just announced a Studio Ghibli season..

http://www.film4.com/whats-on/studio-ghibli-season-2015-on-film4?ghibli

I've never seen any of these. I'm looking forward to it.

There's some great ones in there that you might put in Ghibli's "B Grade" like Whisper of the Heart and The Cat Returns (the English dub of which I found hilarious because of Tim Curry.)

I have tried tree times to watch Tales From Earthsea and fell asleep every time. I have very little interest in watching My Neighbours The Yamadas because of the different art style. Sounds shallow but the look of Ghibli films is a big reason I enjoy them.

I hear Ponyo is rather good but it looks too kiddy for me.

Ponyo's okay, but it's one of those Ghibli films that kind of just meanders along and then finishes and then a week later you can't remember a single thing about it.

I watched My Neighbors the Yamadas before, and I recall it being quite funny.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Aw cheers, Sploat! Means a lot. :)

Wait, what pact?!

It's nothing serious. I just post too much in this thread, that's all. Instead of spamming and then banning, I'm trying to find a middle ground :)

Yes we did, you talked to me for a while about Marcel Duchamp though it was me who brought up art, specifically so I could try pushing your buttons by disagreeing with you. Piss Christ isn't even that "shocking", again seems like an opportunist shot at a religion no one feels bad about mocking. If the guy had submerged a Koran in piss it would be too far and risking reprisals, if the artist had wiped his arse with the Torah it would be anti-semitic. Piss Christ is shocking but safe. I'll never see any merit in the tin of Artist's Shit.

I think what I find annoying about some of this post-modern chin scratchy stuff (shocking or not) is that it seems focused on social statements that are overwhelmingly negative. If you've got a picture of say, a highway at night, all the cars going one way. Now you could look at that picture and with subtle tweaks to the design say "wow, this must be some kind of society, look at all these people who can afford motor vehicles, these people must live in a wealthy culture with strong industry and infrastructure." But of course, that isn't sexy.

What's sexy it seems is to effect that design so that you look at it and go "Oh look at these people trapped in their cars, they're like ants! Going to and from work, earning money so they can buy things they don't need to distract from the hollowness of their lives!" That'll elicit some "booyas" and "yazoos" or whatever young art students say these days. I guess what I'm getting at is that I find the relentless pessimism of "statement" art quite tiresome. Artists should cheer the fuck up and stop being so jaded and cynical.

That I am enigmatic and illustrious and you wish you were as majestic as me.

Nothing you've said makes me disagree. I'd just say that not all modern art is as negative as you think. I mean, that guy I was talking about yesterday - he was celebrating these great works of literature.

Ah, you were trying to rile me! Sorry! I live with and am engaged to someone who is almost my complete opposite, so I'm used to having everything I say disagreed with. Better luck next time. Amateur ! :p

Anyway, it's E's birthday today. She opened her presents this morning (including a CHOCOLATE PIZZA) and - once we've finished at the hospital - she's getting another tattoo. I want to get my nose pierced at the same time, but given that I already had to have an operation on my nose just to help me to breathe (shallow end of gene pool, again) it's probably not sensible. Which is a real shame. I'm so jealous of nose piercings, I think they're brilliant.

Anyway, what's new dudes?

Fair enough sploat I'll just have to try harder.

-

Feel like a real twat this morning, over an hour late to work because I slept through my alarm. Its only my third day at a new job, talk about making a bad impression. Luckily I'm only shadowing people today rather than taking calls myself, but I still feel shetty

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have tried tree times to watch Tales From Earthsea and fell asleep every time.

That is widely regarded as one of the worst. I've seen it and I can't even remember anything about it. Boring and forgettable.

Also obligatory shout out for Porco Rosso.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
nothing much, just had my nose pierced and pretended to do a bunch of other things that would make you highly jealous of me.

Watch it, sonny! Anyway, I might go for an eyebrow one, provided I can disguise it when I'm in my office drone drag.

It's a bit sunny out in Manc today, isn't it? Weird! I thought something was wrong with my glasses.

Fair enough sploat I'll just have to try harder.

-

Feel like a real twat this morning, over an hour late to work because I slept through my alarm. Its only my third day at a new job, talk about making a bad impression. Luckily I'm only shadowing people today rather than taking calls myself, but I still feel shetty

Oof. Not good. Hopefully everyone was ok with it though?

Ended up being ok at work but obviously with the understanding that this won't fly when I'm doing it for real.

In the meantime I've made my first call which for some reason I found pant shittingly terrifying but was actually quite simple. Still a glut of information to take in on all fronts.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Mega happy birthday to E!!!

Direct quote: "Ta!"

Ended up being ok at work but obviously with the understanding that this won't fly when I'm doing it for real.

In the meantime I've made my first call which for some reason I found pant shittingly terrifying but was actually quite simple. Still a glut of information to take in on all fronts.

You'll be fine once you get acclimatised. Make sure you set about ten alarms though in future!

Skele7on

Banned

Idiot, but you'll be fine, as long as it doesn't become the norm they can't really screw you over this, working even in a call center you get away with more than what you'd get away with in a retail role.

HAHA, well you're just a rookie and still green, I'm sure you'll be a veteran in no time.

Today I have been looking after a depressed cat and talking with vets, who are strongly urging me to look for a friend for Jesse, need to speak with Amanda about it, but I guess if that's the best I can do for him then I will have to. I am still by no means back to normal after what happened on Monday, but I am more of the impression now that everything happens for a reason and maybe there is another kitten out there that needs a loving home.

Still really does suck as it was far too soon.

Happy Birthday E!

Symphonia

Banned
Completely unrelated, but I just finished watching Mockingjay Part 1 - man, what a dull film. Two hours of nothing but filler. Part 2 better be good.

NinjaBoiX

Completely unrelated, but I just finished watching Mockingjay Part 1 - man, what a dull film. Two hours of nothing but filler. Part 2 better be good.
I watched about an hour of the first movie, it smelled of wee. Lord of the Flies minus the good characters meets Dawson's Creek minus the loquacious, implausibly articulate dialogue.

Poo nuggets.

Top Bottom