• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Lingitiz

So I picked this up a few hours ago and wow it leaves a pretty good first impression. The beginning had some great set pieces and the unreal engine is can look great when some color is actually put into. Spent a good amount of time with Anarchy mode and it gets really addicted the further you get into the waves. Looking to play some more but so far it seems awesome.

Is there a lot of replay value for this game? I played the demo over at a friends house and loved it, but I don't really wanna drop 60 bucks if its bare bones.

Salsa

Fuck it, decided to bring out the big guns:

oxbBK.jpg

excuse the crappy pic

Funny thing is, it plays a lot better on the bigger monitor. Guess there was a resolution thing involved.

On my way to the third chapter now, and damn that boss fight against
the big-ass plant
was intense. Playing on Very Hard btw.

Teknoman

SalsaShark said:
Well moved textures to high and changed everything else to low, tweaked the ini files a bit and the game runs fine and looks good enough now.

Only problem are the black bars with 1440x900, heh.

There are black bars when running a widescreen res?

Oh and how is the online PC side so far? Also is the Windows Live friend list and XBL friend list one in the same?

Lunchbox

Banned
me and 3 other friends started around 8 oclock, finally got the anarchy master achievement (50k in one round) at 12, ai ai ai. never again
but it was worth it

91W50.png

3LtPD.jpg

overcast

This game looks pretty interesting. I am only concerned about the length of the single player campaign. Other than that though, i can use a game with ridiculous amounts of corny dialouge and dick-tits now!

Salsa

overcast said:
This game looks pretty interesting. I am only concerned about the length of the single player campaign. Other than that though, i can use a game with ridiculous amounts of corny dialouge and dick-tits now!

Pretty sure that if you like it enough you'll get at least one re-play out of it.

I recommend playing on Very Hard btw. Game is really easy.

overcast

SalsaShark said:
Pretty sure that if you like it enough you'll get at least one re-play out of it. I recommend playing on Very Hard btw. Game is really easy.
Thanks for answering. I'll probably pick this up in that case. The fact that it has the gears beta in it makes it even more desireable.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Fucking christ the Penetrator is good. Just got around 2500 on one chain kill because of it, I think people are having a lot of trouble with the Air Strike kill from it(impale a thumped enemy into a standing enemy), and don't realize that after you shoot someone with a charged drill you can hit RT on another enemy to make them fly at them. I just swooped one down and took out 4 guys, got a huge shiskebab score and they then flew up into the sky for a bunch of mile high club.

Salsa

overcast said:
Thanks for answering. I'll probably pick this up in that case. The fact that it has the gears beta in it makes it even more desireable.

While the game is pretty scripted and straight-forward, at moments it feels like Tony Hawk in a Madworld kinda way. The fact that you can pretty much kill guys whatever way you want is what makes the re-playability.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Teknoman said:
There are black bars when running a widescreen res?

Because these lazy fucks didn't get the game to render 16x10 native. It's better to just run 16x9 and let your monitor handle the black bars, at least then you'll get a minor performance boost. I'm running 1080p instead of 1200 because of this crap.

Belfast

Untracked said:
This game is incredible! Such awesome art, sound and really fun gameplay.
Found a bug on Act 3 Chapter 2 though, this guy is having the same problem...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swnxR6ac-j0
Gonna restart the whole chapter and cross my fingers :(

Got this on the PC version. It sets you a bit far back, but you pretty much have to restart the chapter. There's a part where you have to use an elevator, just make sure that BOTH partners are on it before activating and it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Certainly not game-killing, just time-wasting.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Heads up for SLI users :

Found this on the guru3d boards, when I saw that one of my cards was at 1% usage and the other at 99% with terrible performance.

"The .exe they have by default is wrong (shippingpc-geargame.exe). You must add the correct .exe by then clicking on 'Add application to current profile' and selecting ShippingPC-StormGame.exe
- Once added scroll down to SLI section
- In section 'Number of GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode' select 'SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO' for those that have SLI
- Click 'Apply changes'"

The above steps of course referring to nvidia inspector. Did this and now both cards are around 50% usage but my perfomance is now flawless.

Also, fuck my life for having to ask this : Is there anyway to turn of the aimassist on pc? ._______.

Barrett2

"Persistent, like herpes..." Line of the game.

Act 5 is so damn good. This is close to being a perfect game for me. I have not had this much fun with a shooter in YEARS.

Corky said:
Heads up for SLI users :

Found this on the guru3d boards, when I saw that one of my cards was at 1% usage and the other at 99% with terrible performance.

"The .exe they have by default is wrong (shippingpc-geargame.exe). You must add the correct .exe by then clicking on 'Add application to current profile' and selecting ShippingPC-StormGame.exe
- In section 'Number of GPUs to use on SLI rendering mode' select 'SLI_GPU_COUNT_TWO' for those that have SLI
- Click 'Apply changes'"

The above steps of course referring to nvidia inspector. Did this and now both cards are around 50% usage but my perfomance is now flawless.

Also, fuck my life for having to ask this : Is there anyway to turn of the aimassist on pc? ._______.
Yes, go into the game options.

jambo

Sinatar said:
Because these lazy fucks didn't get the game to render 16x10 native. It's better to just run 16x9 and let your monitor handle the black bars, at least then you'll get a minor performance boost. I'm running 1080p instead of 1200 because of this crap.
I hope it supports 30" res =S

sam27368

Banned
Corky said:
Heads up for SLI users :

- Click 'Apply changes'"

Can you do this through Nvidia control panel? As I'm not very good with Nvidia inspector?

If not could you post a screenie of the settings?

:EDIT:If I change a profile in Nvidia inspector (say mass effect 2) and apply it, what exactly does it change? Do I have to have Nvidia inspector on the whole time to witness the changes or does it alter something in the actual drivers themselves?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This PC port is utterly deplorable. Very, very upset with Epic and People Can Fly.

Just ordered this from Amazon.com (still a $20 credit deal going on) on 360 after falling in love with it on PC. Gears 3 beta doesn't hurt either, I assume that they are still selling Epic Edition copies since it's still launch week.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EatChildren said:
This PC port is utterly deplorable. Very, very upset with Epic and People Can Fly.

how bad? Bad enough to just play on PS3/360? Or is it just bad on some edge-combinations of SLI/drivers?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mrklaw said:
how bad? Bad enough to just play on PS3/360? Or is it just bad on some edge-combinations of SLI/drivers?

It has significant frame drops if you're not running in a 16:9 resolution (not a problem for me), has shitty GFWL issues, and due to shitty optimisation wont recognise many graphics cards, and will instead default to the lowest settings every time no matter what you set it on. I've had to download a custom tweak from the forums to actually get the game on anything higher than low.

I'm very upset about this. UE3 games usually work really well on PC, and I wouldn't have expected issues like this from Epic.

ConradCervantes said:
Surely Cliff and Co. will be adding in such a feature via a FREE Title Update???

they'd have to reset the echoes leaderboards.

i hope they focus on fixing their fucking broken checkpoint system that ruins 2/3rds of the game.

Z_Y

Wasn't a fan of the
remote control dinosaur
sequence. Seemed pretty limited on how I could kill enemies...thus low scores...and went on far too long. Also trying to shoot the Vultures out of the sky with the lag between when I squeezed the trigger and shots fired was difficult for me.

Did I miss something during that sequence? Was there a more creative way to handle it?

Zeliard

I haven't really had an issue with the PC port. I'm not getting huge frames, but then again, I'm still on a 4 year-old rig (planning for a massive, all-encompassing upgrade sometime this year). I still have it maxed out, though, and it's perfectly playable. The 16:9 thing is a shame, though.

Mouse is a bit laggy in the menus but in the actual game, it feels perfect (unlike Dead Space 1 where it was laggy both in menus and in-game).

Playing the actual game feels great, since PCF knows how to make it feel great. They know how important responsiveness in both the movement and shooting is to the feel of an FPS, so they put clear emphasis on those things. I haven't played a game that moved or felt this smooth and responsive since, well, probably Painkiller.

Though I guess UT3 felt pretty good as well, as a rare modern example of that type of game.

Dizzle24

Neuromancer said:
The drilldo you get towards the end of the game is amazing. :lol

Again, CliffyB, why no New Game+? Going back to earlier levels with these high power weapons would seriously own.

There's Echoes mode for that!

But I agree, replaying the early chapters in their entirety with all weapons would be great.

big_z

missing one cluster of bugs.... fuuuuuuuuu!!

i wish the game would tell you which chapter you missed stuff at least.

big_z said:
missing one cluster of bugs.... fuuuuuuuuu!!

i wish the game would tell you which chapter you missed stuff at least.

umm, doesn't it? I'm not at my computer right now but I could've sworn if you go into campaign mode, and then chapter select, it should tell you how many bug swarms/newsbots you've collected for each chapter.

Tawpgun

Lunchbox said:
me and 3 other friends started around 8 oclock, finally got the anarchy master achievement (50k in one round) at 12, ai ai ai. never again
but it was worth it

http://i.imgur.com/91W50.png

http://i.imgur.com/3LtPD.jpg

So.... I don't suppose I could get in on that? XD

I haven't had a chance to play with a good team yet, but if that achievement really takes 4 hours... then goddamn. I don't have enough friends that have this game and would be willing to do that. And I thought the ODST Endure achievement was bad...

Beat it on PC last night. I had a complete blast with it. A few segments really made me think of Painkiller. Lots of great action moments. I laughed pretty hard when
the general said I wouldn't like this new set of soldiers, the door opens and there was a chain gun surrounded by troops staring me right in the face.
Funny stuff. I'm a little sad there was no
real face off with the giant beast. Yeah yeah, you shot him from the helicopter but I wanted a Painkiller style showdown.
All in all, it's probably my favorite first person shooter since Painkiller.

I can't wait to see what People Can Fly do next.

Edit:

Man, I mentioned Painkiller a lot. I must love it.

<3 Painkiller

big_z

ThingontheFloor said:
umm, doesn't it? I'm not at my computer right now but I could've sworn if you go into campaign mode, and then chapter select, it should tell you how many bug swarms/newsbots you've collected for each chapter.

you are correct sir. i didnt know you could choose chapters. for some reason using my mouse on menus doesnt work correctly and it would auto select the first chapter in an act.

Zeliard

FrostuTheNinja said:
Beat it on PC last night. I had a complete blast with it. A few segments really made me think of Painkiller. Lots of great action moments. I laughed pretty hard when
the general said I wouldn't like this new set of soldiers, the door opens and there was a chain gun surrounded by troops staring me right in the face.
Funny stuff. I'm a little sad there was no
real face off with the giant beast. Yeah yeah, you shot him from the helicopter but I wanted a Painkiller style showdown.
All in all, it's probably my favorite first person shooter since Painkiller.

I can't wait to see what People Can Fly do next.

Edit:

Man, I mentioned Painkiller a lot. I must love it.

<3 Painkiller

Painkiller is fucking awesome. I wasn't surprised by either the visuals or the gameplay in Bulletstorm because Painkiller had already nailed both several years back.

A lot of people may not recall but in 2004, Painkiller was viewed by many as possibly the best-looking game out there, in a year that saw Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3 also come out (2004 was quite the year for PC tech).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
All multiplatformissues,optimization woes etc aside, Bulletstorm is to the FPS as JC2 TPS/sandbox genre.

I love it.

Zeliard said:
Painkiller is fucking awesome. I wasn't surprised by either the visuals or the gameplay in Bulletstorm because Painkiller had already nailed both several years back.

A lot of people may not recall but in 2004, Painkiller was viewed by many as possibly the best-looking game out there, in a year that saw Half-Life 2, Far Cry and Doom 3 also come out (2004 was quite the year for PC tech).

No joke. Painkiller just hit so many notes correctly. People Can Fly did some amazing work with the weapons, enemy flow, boss fights, powers, level/enemy design, etc. And they did it all with such technical finesse.

I remember people giving me so much crap for playing more Painkiller than any of the games you mentioned. "Bu bu but head crabs! Bu bu but island! Bu bu but flashlights!" My reply was usually, "Bu bu but stake gun!"

EatChildren

Spookie said:
Got a link for that? Anything to improve performance would be great.

Here. I dont know if it will actually improve performance, but it allowed me to set graphics higher than low as it kept defaulting back.

I've sunk in some time now, up to Act 2, and despite my woes with the PC port the actual game is fucking amazing. Its so much fun. This is how shooters are supposed to be.

Zeliard

EatChildren said:
Here. I dont know if it will actually improve performance, but it allowed me to set graphics higher than low as it kept defaulting back.

Actually yeah, that is another annoying thing. I have noticed an issue with some settings reverting back to default for no apparent reason when I boot the game back up, like mouse and brightness settings. Gfx settings stay the same, though.

IronRinn

Corky said:

IronRinn said:
Also, for those who have the PC version and have been having trouble with performance Ars Technica has an article on how to get to and edit the .ini files. It involves downloaded an editor as People Can Fly seem to have decided to encrypt them at the last minute.

Quoting myself from a few pages back. That article shows you how to disable mouse "smoothing". Not sure if that's what you're looking for but you may be able to find some more stuff digging through the .ini files.

Edit: Forgot to include the link.

big_z said:
you are correct sir. i didnt know you could choose chapters. for some reason using my mouse on menus doesnt work correctly and it would auto select the first chapter in an act.
I didn't know you could do this either, that's good. I guess all your weapons don't carry over from the end of the game though, is that correct?

Top Bottom