• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bulletstorm |OT| Dick-Tits

Zeliard

IronRinn said:
Quoting myself from a few pages back. That article shows you how to disable mouse "smoothing". Not sure if that's what you're looking for but you may be able to find some more stuff digging through the .ini files.

Here's the direct link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...u-how-to-get-it-playing-nice-with-your-pc.ars

Seems to be some useful stuff there. Puzzling that PCF hid all these settings, especially stuff related to mouse movement and FOV, which they had no real reason to (especially given, as Ars notes, how easy it was to get into these encrypted settings).

Sign of the times, I guess. Painkiller was extensively customizable, taking its cues from Quake.

Edit: link to ini editor: http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40833&d=1298491604

IronRinn

Zeliard said:
Seems to be some useful stuff there. Puzzling that PCF hid all these settings, especially stuff related to mouse movement and FOV, which they had no real reason to (especially given, as Ars notes, how easy it was to get into these encrypted settings).

Sign of the times, I guess. Painkiller was extensively customizable, taking its cues from Quake.

Beat me to editing my post with the link!

I'm sure it had something to do with GFWL and fears of cheating. Sounds like a change that someone from upstairs would call for.

Hixx

Wow this must be selling well, first time I've not been able to find a game in a shop day 1 for years. Or they've just criminally understocked this area.

Picked this up yesterday, got the last Epic Edition in stock.

I love it - the crazy script, great audio, fun weapons, and the Unreal engine looks fucking fantastic when some color is added to it.

Teknoman

IronRinn said:
Beat me to editing my post with the link!

I'm sure it had something to do with GFWL and fears of cheating. Sounds like a change that someone from upstairs would call for.

Looks that way:

Adrian Chmielarz is People Can Fly's creative director, and he told Ars that the encryption is there to "prevent people from cheating on Echoes and Anarchy Leaderboards," most likely by keeping them from adjusting certain aspects of enemy behavior or power. That's perfectly fair, but they left too many of the game's core settings locked behind the encryption—which is too weak to have kept anyone from the files for more than a few minutes anyway. "Possibly we should separate .ini files: some encrypted, some (visuals, mouse, etc.) open to rape," he continued via Twitter. "Oops, I mean edit."

Zeliard

Right, but that doesn't make much sense given how easily people have gotten into these encrypted settings. It just makes it needlessly cumbersome. Don't hide basic FPS customization settings from PC gamers.

Teknoman

Zeliard said:
Right, but that doesn't make much sense given how easily people have gotten into these encrypted settings. It just makes it needlessly cumbersome. Don't hide basic FPS customization settings from PC gamers.

Yeah you'd think they would just keep most standard options open, while locking off other options that could possibly mess with the online features, rather than just locking everything.

Didn't Mirrors Edge support most of the "features" missing from Bulletstorm anyway?

Zeliard

And you'd think GFWL should simplify some of this stuff, since it acts as a medium between the player and online access. So why not set it so it disables leaderboard scoring or whatever if it detects that the default enemy behavior settings have changed? Seems it should be viable, unless that isn't possible with the GFWL front-end, which just makes that thing even more worthless.

People Can Fly is the last company I would have expected to lock these types of settings. You can't even access a console!

Salsa

-PXG- said:
Salsa, you sit too damn close to your screen. God damn son.

That's actualy my TV. I normally use a 19 inch monitor but i changed it to run it in a resolution better supported by the game. Now it runs better + no black bars.

I guess i'll change it back when im done with the game. Playing something like Bad Company 2 in a screen this bigs really fucks up my competitive game. Hard to see the whole screen at the same time, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Seems to be running ok here - retail disc, 6950 and i5 2500k, running at 1080p, all settings to high and 4xAA. Only played through the intro up to the first proper chapter with robo-ishi, but seems nice and smooth to me. Have a minor issue with a big triangle covering the top-left half of the screen when looking into the sun, but I'll live with that for now.

My first experience of GFWL. updated the live component and told me to restart the game, but the game wouldn't let me exit - just kept going back to the 'log into live' prompt. Had to alt-tab out and close it.

Tawpgun

Ok. I can't do the stringer skill shot for the life of me. Help?

EDIT:

GOT IT. THANK GOD. Golden Idol Unlocked.

Protip: The lobby echo mission. It's on the second page, one of the epic unlocks.

iNvid02

saw an ad for it on tv which was strange, dont see many game ads round here.
it was pretty good, grabbed your attention and made a quick jibe at cod too.

WrikaWrek

Banned
This game is pretty awesome. Feels like a Michael Bay joint.

Epic needs to work on the sound design for the next one though. Kinda weak here.

Teknoman said:
Yeah you'd think they would just keep most standard options open, while locking off other options that could possibly mess with the online features, rather than just locking everything.

Didn't Mirrors Edge support most of the "features" missing from Bulletstorm anyway?
like what?

Zeliard said:
Here's the direct link: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...u-how-to-get-it-playing-nice-with-your-pc.ars

Edit: link to ini editor: http://forums.techpowerup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=40833&d=1298491604

Linked Tweet from PCF creative director in the ars article...

Adrian Chmielarz said:
@BenKuchera Possibly we should separate .ini files: some encrypted, some (visuals, mouse, etc.) open to rape. Oops I mean edit.

http://twitter.com/adrianchm/status/40481472494182400

How is uncapping the framerate, turning off mouse smoothing or being able to use more key bindings in place of their context sensitive set-up "raping" their settings? I'm sorry, but I don't care about the tenuous excuse of Games For Windows Live leaderboards, we're talking about stuff that can impact the core experience and should be open to edit by default. And why is auto-aim/aim-assist even present in a PC game, nevermind defaulted to On. How far have Epic and People Can Fly fallen?

Zeliard

Pretty crazy that there are TWO different aim helpers, both on by default.

Aim assist = "Enables assistance with aiming at enemies (sticky aim)"

and

Aim lock = "Snap to enemies when aim is pressed"

I think that's a first for a PC game. :p For shame, PCF.

Salsa

DarkStar said:
Finally Im at 7-2 on Very Hard,. took me ages!

On Very Hard it gets kinda tough if you wanna do all the skills. Kinda hard to run around kicking guys when everyone's shooting at you and kill you pretty easily :p

Still, makes the game better for me.

Currently at 6-something

I changed the FOV from 85 to 100 in the ini file to see more of the level. Recommended.

derFeef

Zeliard said:

and

If it's an option easy accessible in the menus (which every gamer should check out before starting the game), then I see no problem with it.

Mousesmoothing and other UE3 annoyanaces are easy to eliminate too.

*shrug*

Zeliard

derFeef said:
If it's an option easy accessible in the menus (which every gamer should check out before starting the game), then I see no problem with it.

Mousesmoothing and other UE3 annoyanaces are easy to eliminate too.

*shrug*

You have to go through an external ini editor to make those changes, since they're encrypted. It isn't the most daunting task in the world but that probably shouldn't have to be necessary. These are pretty basic settings.

And no, there's no excuse for having aim assist features on by default in a PC shooter, particularly when it doesn't seem to bother differentiating between a mouse or dual analog input device.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Zeliard said:

and

Probably there for those who choose to play on a game pad.

derFeef

Zeliard said:
And no, there's no excuse for having aim assist features on by default in a PC shooter, particularly when it doesn't seem to bother differentiating between a mouse or dual analog input device.
That's just nitpicking, like with difficulty settings being on normal by default.

Teknoman

practice02 said:
like what?

Nevermind, I thought Mirrors Edge didnt have black bars when played at 1440x900. After booting it back up, it does. I guess if it didnt bother me enough to remember in ME, it shouldnt have that big of an effect in Bulletstorm.

Zeliard

Alienshogun said:
Probably there for those who choose to play on a game pad.

Which, on the PC, would be a minimal amount of players relative to kb/m.

With all their talk of leaderboard parity, they didn't seem to take into account that many PC gamers won't want to play with any aim assist/aim lock of any sort because it makes shooters overly easy when you're already using a high-precision input device, with these settings meant solely to help alleviate the inherent shittiness of dual analog. Others will probably never even notice these settings were on, or use them anyway just to rank higher.

Game still plays great and a lot of the PCF quality still shines through. Just a shame it's so console-oriented, especially coming from PCF. If you had played Painkiller back in the day you'd see how egregious a lot of this is. It's like the complete opposite design philosophy they used to have.

Salsa

Zeliard said:
Game still plays great and a lot of the PCF quality still shines through. Just a shame it's so console-oriented, especially coming from PCF. If you had played Painkiller back in the day you'd see how egregious a lot of this is. It's like the complete opposite design philosophy they used to have.

Seriously. Both in terms of console port and optimization.

sillik

Banned
playing the pc version right now, highest settings at 1280x720 very dissapointed with the graphics. what happen ?

edit: forgot to mention that ishi is a fucking asshole. GO AWAY.

sillik said:
playing the pc version right now, highest settings at 1280x720 very dissapointed with the graphics. what happen ?

edit: forgot to mention that ishi is a fucking asshole. GO AWAY.
What is that Trishka says about Ishi? Something like 'Your Japanese robot is a DICK.'

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Zeliard said:
With all their talk of leaderboard parity, they didn't seem to take into account that many PC gamers won't want to play with any aim assist/aim lock of any sort because it makes shooters overly easy when you're already using a high-precision input device, with these settings meant solely to help alleviate the inherent shittiness of dual analog.
It's why I plumped for the PC version over console, and was surprised to find it still in effect - aim assistance seems particularly egregious in a game designed around rewarding timing/precision-based shooting. 'Hey, let us help you with lining up those shots!'

Ah well.

The Lamonster said:
The multiplayer section keeps forgetting my outfit customizations.
Speaking of this, is it just me or is the outfit stuff pretty ugly? I wish you could pick from story characters instead, or are they in there somewhere?

Salsa

Since when does GFLW gives you achievements while offline ?

Cool i guess, since im not even going to bother signing in.

Loving this game so much. Just finished chapter 2 last night. Everything is top notch. I love love love the hand gun. It feels so good to score headshots with it and fire off the exploding flares.

I'm also loving the game's economy. Do I spend my points to reload my ammo and power shots? Or do I save up for some sweet upgrades? Excellent stuff.

I really hope the game is a huge success for PCF, Epic and EA. Can't wait to play more this weekend and I've yet to hit up Anarchy.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Loving this game so much. Just finished chapter 2 last night. Everything is top notch. I love love love the hand gun. It feels so good to score headshots with it and fire off the exploding flares.

I'm also loving the game's economy. Do I spend my points to reload my ammo and power shots? Or do I save up for some sweet upgrades? Excellent stuff.

I really hope the game is a huge success for PCF, Epic and EA. Can't wait to playoff this weekend and I've yet to hit up Anarchy.
Once you can max out the thumper.

Zeliard said:

That is an older version of the editor, newer on here 1.1 http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/90423/bulletstorm-ini-editor-v1-1-for-v1-0-7111-0

I have no idea where the creator of the editor is (originally) hosting and what version is the absolute newest. Anyone know where?

Salsa

Reluctant-Hero said:

While it's nothing really new, it works very well here.

WrikaWrek

Banned
One of the best FPSs i've played this gen no doubt. I wasn't giving it nearly enough attention before because i didn't understood it from the videos.

But man, the combat is amazing, i can do shit here i can only do here. Leach a guy shoot him as he goes by and provides cover against another enemy, and then kick that one in the face and hi goes and you shoot the shit out of him and he bangs against a red barrel and explodes in the faces of another two. Leach a bomb from one place and then kick it to another and shoot it midair and kill 3 enemys with it.

BRAVO EPIC

Zeliard

What's cool is due to the stuff you can unleash, you can basically play the game like it's Painkiller and make it very fast-paced (you can also take things deliberately as well). So you've essentially got the frantic play of a Painkiller combined with a gameplay system that rewards creativity. You end up doing some awesome stuff in combat.

I also like how organic the skillshot system is - I've unlocked many simply trying out different things, rather than looking at the skillshot page. You can go down the list and specifically try to unlock certain ones, but I've had more fun just doing wacky shit and seeing if they included it as a skillshot.

Biggzy

Got the game today and played up to chapter 5 in the campaign and a couple of stages of echo mode. My verdict so far is that the game is really fun to play with some humorous dialogue thrown in and manages to differentiate itself from the other fps out there.

I would like to add that this game isn’t as dumb as the trailers and pre release videos from Epic made the game out to be and in fact requires you to think in order to get the high scores from the skill shots.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Teknoman said:
So the PC version's online is running pretty smooth?
This is a question I would like details on too.

I have just got Bulletstorm (Thanks to IGN and their Twitter feed), so once I have downloaded the game, will be venturing on-line at some point. I like People Can Fly anyway as the original Painkiller was awesome, but wasn't quite motivated enough to pay full price for the game (Yes, bad me). Now I don't need to worry.

WrikaWrek said:
Good lord, the dam sequence....holy shiiiiiiiiit
I wish we could go spoilers on cuz I have no idea why anyone thinks that the Dam sequence is any better than the others. Personally I loved the helicopter part.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
On act 7 chapter 2, probably right at the end, and just want to chip in and say this has been my favorite FPS this gen so far. I have 123/131 skillshots just from this one campaign play, I've constantly been switching my weapons and playstyle, it's just so damn fun.

careksims

Apparently got the last Epic Edition at my Gamestop. It was sitting behind the counter all by its lonesome. Can't wait to sink my teeth in today. KZ3 and BS! FPS overload.

Salsa

sjHQW.jpg

hBQJb.jpg

I could do this all day really.

Also, for some reason the game started to run fine with everything on High and AAx2. Weird, but im not asking questions :)

Top Bottom