• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed: Utah Rep Jason Chaffetz will not seek reelection in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do these people win elections when all I seem to hear about is how much they're hated at home?

*Looks squarely at Ted Cruz... then quickly away again in disgust*

Republicans hate to look like losers. They voted for him, would never admit it. Now they can throw the support behind some other snake oil salesman.

Allforce

Running scared

Gotta wonder how much his family plays into this sort of decision. I mean imagine being such a hated figure in this day and age of social media, his kids can't Google their own name without reading about someone wanting him dead or worse. I can imagine grocery shopping for Mrs Chaffetz is an exercise in ignoring all the scowls and side-eyes from people in her local community. Same goes for the kids at school.

Instead you leave office and make millions being a lobbyist and living in relative obscurity after a few years. Nobody cares about Trent Lott or Eric Cantor anymore and they were the Jason Chaffetz's a decade ago.

What's the play here?

Considering the type of scumbag Chaffetz is, he's probably only skipping 2018 to try and be Governor or Senator and the sad thing is people there will still vote for him the same way they would have voted for him for Congressman in 2018. That is to say, overwhelmingly.

alemmon

Lol his recent town halls were quite the spectacle

Did you not see the line of clowns that ran in the Republican Primary?

The fact that this ass hat thought that most of the people were from out of state or paid to be there just pisses me off, when in fact I knew lots of actual Utah people there.

Gotta wonder how much his family plays into this sort of decision. I mean imagine being such a hated figure in this day and age of social media, his kids can't Google their own name without reading about someone wanting him dead or worse. I can imagine grocery shopping for Mrs Chaffetz is an exercise in ignoring all the scowls and side-eyes from people in her local community. Same goes for the kids at school.

Instead you leave office and make millions being a lobbyist and living in relative obscurity after a few years. Nobody cares about Trent Lott or Eric Cantor anymore and they were the Jason Chaffetz's a decade ago.

He said he wouldn't be able to look his daughters' in the eye if he supported Trump after the pussy tape dropped and then he basically cradles Donald's balls from then on. I would stop speaking to my folks if they pulled that shit.

Arttemis

Tinfoil Hat Hot Take:

Chaffetz is the first person embroiled in Trumpy stuff (as turtle McConnell now appears to be) to try and hide in the private sector as it starts to crumble.

https://twitter.com/funder/status/854497814210064384

This could be a thread of its own. McConnell being paid by an adversarial country whose agenda is to disrupt democratic nations... it's so obvious. It's not just party before country, but so obviously money before country.

Republicans hate to look like losers. They voted for him, would never admit it. Now they can throw the support behind some other snake oil salesman.

because when it comes time to vote, its them or a democrat
It really is that simple eh? I really wish sometimes that liberals/Democrats weren't so complex :x
Tinfoil Hat Hot Take:

Chaffetz is the first person embroiled in Trumpy stuff (as turtle McConnell now appears to be) to try and hide in the private sector as it starts to crumble.

Whoa, is this legit? Can a Senator even accept foreign donations or is that only enforced on the executive branch?

BajiBoxer

Banned
It really is that simple eh? I really wish sometimes that liberals/Democrats weren't so complex :x

Whoa, is this legit? Can a Senator even accept foreign donations or is that only enforced on the executive branch?

Well, it's a super pac. My understanding is that super pacs are not officially directly affiliated with any candidate. It's basically a bunch of wink wink, nudge nudge bullshit going on. Politician goes someplace to do an event. Then happens to leave coincidentally moments before a super pac event to solicit donations starts up in the room he just vacated.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Tinfoil Hat Hot Take:

Yes. I've seen claims that Russians had been blackmailing him and/or the FBI was onto him regarding Russian connections. I don't know that Palmer Report or Louise Mensch are credible though? I know they're somewhat popular, but I haven't paid much attention to either one.

He is live on KSL (local news) can't wait to hear this shit.

Paraphrasing this shit.

-He's 50 and he always wanted to get in, do his job and get out.
-He spends too much time away from his family and he loves his family more then congress. (1,500 nights away from family)
-He likes going into the firestorm and ruckus town halls don't phase him, he will miss that part.
-Political climate has no baring on this
-Paul Ryan said "please, please don't do this"
-Wanted to get out early so another R can step up

blackflag

Awesome, he is terrible. Whoever replaces him will hopefully be less so, but even if not, they won't be a senior member and won't chair anything.

Jeff-DSA

He's a slimy sack of shit. I think he's planning to run for governor.

Please, no. As an avid outdoorsman, I see that as a disaster in so many ways for so many of the things that I care about. Herbert has been bad, but Chaffetz would be on a whole different level.

dakini

btS3kej.gif

Beartruck

Ryan is so pathetic

Honestly I think we should target Ryan basically nearly as much as trump. He is so bad at his job and it would surprise me if his approval ratings were literally double digits below trump's
Thats why Trump went to Kenosha WI yesterday. Thats Ryan's district and his approval is plummeting.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Paul Ryan only cares about himself. If anything you should laugh at him and his troubles guilt free.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that afterwards I realize he deserves this, and all sense of pettiness is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom