• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buzzfeed: Utah Rep Jason Chaffetz will not seek reelection in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

Guys like Chaffetz cause a lot of cringing within the church membership. While many voted for him, they saw him as "the better option," but I don't know that is still the case. His bulldog ways run counter to a lot of the church's stances on things like immigration, yet he's a member in good standing (for now). It makes for a really weird person to discuss.

Romney is more reflective of a typical Mormon than Chaffetz is, at least where I'm from. Jon Huntsman, Jr. is the Mormon everybody else wants.

cameron

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/855126654519214080
Chaffetz says reports he might resign as early as next few days are "absolutely not true," per @AlexNBCNews

Utah Republicans expect Chaffetz to resign

Republican officials in Utah expect Rep. Jason Chaffetz to step down from Congress, possibly as early as Friday, and were in the early stages of preparing for a special election to fill his 3rd district seat.

"There are a lot of conversations going on," a Republican insider in Utah said Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/utah-republicans-expect-chaffetz-to-resign/article/2620812

lol, good grief.

Thaedolus

Guys like Chaffetz cause a lot of cringing within the church membership. While many voted for him, they saw him as "the better option," but I don't know that is still the case. His bulldog ways run counter to a lot of the church's stances on things like immigration, yet he's a member in good standing (for now). It makes for a really weird person to discuss.

Romney is more reflective of a typical Mormon than Chaffetz is, at least where I'm from. Jon Huntsman, Jr. is the Mormon everybody else wants.

Eh write him off as a convert. Pioneer stock were the troopers and generals in the pre existence. He must've been slacking to not be born in a righteous family to begin with.

lol

he told me that he “might depart” congress early … but said it will be in the “months to come,” not tomorrow or monday.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/855160548148772865

I mean, that's nice and all but if they're freaking out it's probably because someone knows what he did, meaning it's gonna come out probably sooner than later. I don't see any kind of Republican spin helping him last months, or even weeks.

I mean, that's nice and all but if they're freaking out it's probably because someone knows what he did, meaning it's gonna come out probably sooner than later. I don't see any kind of Republican spin helping him last months, or even weeks.

I'll eagerly await the Samantha Bee segement.

Slacker

twitter:

RiotWomenn‏ @riotwomennn
I'm guessing the affair was between @Chaffetz and @TGowdySC Cause why not shoot for the stars

Makonero

Reporter: When is Chaffetz leaving?
GOP: Soon.
Reporter: When is soon?
GOP: SOON!

bUfr3Ee.png

RPGCrazied

Jesus Christ, he is resigning now? Something is off. Find this shit out. This isn't good, considering his job within Congress.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/jason-chaffetz-utah-retire-scandal-237423

Per Chaffetz: he just decided he didn't want to do the job anymore.

Which makes sense, given that he has shown no interest in investigating the WH as the chair of the oversight committee. Remember, he was only too eager to spend the next two years "investigating" Benghazi, assuming that Clinton won the election.

Now that Trump has won, and is up to his knees and scandal, Chaffetz is between a rock and a hard place: do his job and run afoul of the base, or don't do the job and get taken down if/when the scandal breaks. Guy isn't willing to go down with DJT, so back to Utah he goes.

Fuckery is afoot. Sex/Russia scandal, I think.

It's the 45's time in office. There's always fuckery afoot.

Louise Mensch has made a career peddling unsubstantiated fanfic for various, desperate audiences. Before her anti-Trump stuff, she was spinning Gamergate conspiracies. Even Mr. Fantastic couldn't hold her stuff at the arm's length required.

There doesn't have to be anything directly Russia related for Chafettz to gtfo. His job is to investigate the President. Even without the Russia stuff, there is a mountain of emoluments violations, ethics fuckery, and shady business deals for him to sift through. There are simply too many cases for him to dodge. Once he decided that he didn't want to be the Republican who was forced to deal with Trump's shit, leaving was his best option.

If he isn't going to run for re-election, there's really no reason for him to stick around. The decision has already crossed Ryan and GOP leadership, so they would make his life hard for the rest of his term anyway. Better to leave now and lay low for a bit. Politics loves a good comeback story and he's still young enough to have a few left in him.

Huh. Interesting take; when that "will quit soon" rumor hit, I spitballed he knew OF some of the Russian stuff and caught wind of that same info getting close to the surface soon (cuz Phantom Thief Devin "Rooster" Nunes couldn't pull off the heist) and it would be known he knew earlier. This is also a good guess.

Wait, GAMERGATE? Louise pls

He's going to go hike the Appalachian Trail.

lol

I remember when American political scandals were fun like that. :(

theWB27

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/04/20/jason-chaffetz-utah-retire-scandal-237423

Which makes sense, given that he has shown no interest in investigating the WH. He's between a rock and a hard place: do the job and run afoul of the base, or don't do the job and get taken down if/when the scandal breaks. Guy isn't willing to go down with DJT, so back to Utah he goes.

That's not a rock and a hard place. Its choosing the rock because you don't want to do your job. Just hide instead.

Slacker

Now that Trump has won, and is up to his knees and scandal, Chaffetz is between a rock and a hard place: do his job and run afoul of the base, or don't do the job and get taken down if/when the scandal breaks. Guy isn't willing to go down with DJT, so back to Utah he goes.

"All that and more, on the next Profiles In Courage"

Dram

So he would have stuck around if Hilary had become President?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Around 30 minutes ago this was tweeted by Chaffetz's account. Innocuous most days. Maybe not so much today?

================

https://twitter.com/jasoninthehouse/status/855140390185324544

Jason Chaffetz‏Verified account @jasoninthehouse
Julie Chaffetz, Jason’s Wife: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

http://heavy.com/news/2017/04/julie-chaffetz-jason-wife-marriage-wedding-meet-home-kids/

===============

Potential scandal aside. Let me get this straight...

His wife helps women deal with surgery related to breast cancer...

His own mother was lost to that disease herself after battling it for 10 years...

AND he represents the party that wishes to abolish women health freedoms and close all financial support for planned parenthood whom plays a large role in helping women such as his mother?

Which makes sense, given that he has shown no interest in investigating the WH as the chair of the oversight committee. Remember, he was only too eager to spend the next two years "investigating" Benghazi, assuming that Clinton won the election.

Constituents: DO YOUR JOB!

Chaffetz: Nope, I don't wanna. Bye guys

So he would have stuck around if Hilary had become President?

Yes. That was the plan.
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah — Jason Chaffetz, the Utah congressman wrapping up his first term atop the powerful House Oversight Committee, unendorsed Donald Trump weeks ago. That freed him up to prepare for something else: spending years, come January, probing the record of a President Hillary Clinton.

“It’s a target-rich environment,” the Republican said in an interview in Salt Lake City’s suburbs. “Even before we get to Day One, we’ve got two years’ worth of material already lined up. She has four years of history at the State Department, and it ain’t good.”

In a tweet Wednesday night, Chaffetz reaffirmed his distaste for Clinton and his refusal to endorse Trump — but reversed his plans not to vote for the Republican nominee.

If Republicans retain control of the House, something that GOP-friendly maps make possible even in the event of a Trump loss, Clinton will become the first president since George H.W. Bush to immediately face a House Oversight Committee controlled by the opposition party. (Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama lost Congress later in their presidencies.)

Wait what? I would assume that he can just resign from the committee, I don't think there's anything that says he's forced to be the head of the oversight committee. But instead he's just resigning from everything completely? When he can just resign from the committee and try to keep his seat after that?

Neoweee

Poor guy had absolutely no idea what to do with himself after Trump won.

Yeah. The email angle that he hammered on would have been fantastic for his career if Hillary won, which is why he leaked the Comey letter.

With Trump as president? Head of the oversight committee is an absolute shit job, and one with a ton of baggage, both politically and criminally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom