• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA pot growers encroaching on private land, setting up booby traps with punji sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pot wars: Private land new frontier in California:

A little-spoken-of war is taking place behind California's fences and property lines: Trespassing marijuana growers are setting booby traps, resorting to violence and vandalism, and spoiling the land by stealing water and spraying dangerous chemicals that leach into streams.

As the federal government focuses on stopping illegal marijuana crops in public parklands and U.S. forests, sheriff's and state drug enforcement officials face the persistent and potentially dangerous problem of pot growers commandeering private land for their crops.

While some land owners fear violence, others face environmental havoc.

Last year, Mendocino County found that trespassing growers had clear-cut trees and destroyed vegetation, diverted streams and littered the landscape with animal carcasses, garbage, human waste, herbicides and animal poisons.

The report found toxic compounds used as fertilizer and pesticides were being mixed in dammed streambeds, and "toxins have devastated bird and aquatic life and pose a threat to human habitat."

Anyone who wants physical proof of the potential for violence can visit Lake County Supervisor Rob Brown's office at the courthouse in Lakeport, where Brown keeps a souvenir booby trap on display that he removed from his property. It looks like a giant wooden flyswatter with about 20 to 30 punji sticks - sharpened sticks frequently encountered during the Vietnam War - pressed through it.

Brown found the trap attached to a heavy block and trip wire. It was designed to swing out, the weight of the block adding momentum and force, so that the sharpened sticks would strike the victim's face.

In July 2008, Brown discovered about 1,000 young marijuana plants on his 300-acre property where he grazed a herd of about 80 bison.

Two days after he'd called the sheriff's department about the find, a narcotics team, along with members from the state's Campaign Against Marijuana Planting, assisted in the cleanup. While flying over Brown's property in a helicopter, they discovered many more marijuana gardens planted throughout the area.

7,500 plants on land

Nearly one-third of Brown's land was covered with the crop. The teams eradicated nearly 5,000 plants that day. A couple of days later, Brown discovered 2,500 more. Brown, who also works as a bail bondsman, acted on his instinct to go after whoever planted the illegal crop.

"I actually sat at that grow for three days, off and on, waiting for whoever it was that was going to tend them to come back, so I could catch them," Brown said. "I had my rifle, so I wasn't alone."

After the eradication of the gardens, someone cut the border fences, which allowed some of Brown's bison to escape the property. In two separate incidents, a passing vehicle struck a bison that had wandered out of an opening in the fence and onto the road. As the owner of the bison, Brown was liable for damages to the vehicles involved in the accidents.

"I had to buy two new cars," said Brown, who suspects the vandalism was retribution from the growers for destroying their crop, estimated to be worth $15 million - a conservative number assuming that each plant would yield about one pound of usable drug at an average rate of $2,000 per pound.

Brown has since opened his land to law enforcement for the purposes of training field agents. The officers and deputies come during growing season and use the land to practice tracking techniques and eradication methods. Brown hasn't found evidence of trespassers since he allowed the training operations on his property.

According to the Drug Enforcement Administration, more than 10.3 million marijuana plants were eradicated or seized in the United States in 2008 under the agency's Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program. More than 7.5 million plants were seized in California that year.

Lake, Tulare, Shasta, Los Angeles and Mendocino counties were the highest-producing areas of outdoor marijuana cultivation in California in 2009, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. The five counties account for 35 percent of outdoor eradications in the state, officials say.

Despite the eradication efforts, some county law enforcement officials complain that budget cuts are hampering their efforts, just as the illegal grows are burgeoning.

Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman estimates that 30 percent of his department's resources and staffing are dedicated to marijuana issues during the growing months. He said the department would usually only pursue gardens that have 100 plants or more, unless there is a public safety or environmental concern.

Some landowners have attempted to remove the marijuana gardens themselves, an action that is discouraged by law enforcement.

Sonoma County case

Santa Rosa resident and retired teacher Carol Vellutini was tending her 300-acre property in Sonoma County when she noticed an unusual trail leading up the hill. Vellutini, knowing the reputation of the area, was certain of what she would find there.

She and a friend hiked for nearly an hour until they stumbled upon drip lines. Following the lines, they found a grow site. There was a nursery, with many marijuana seedlings growing out of starter cups, and a large adult crop with plants more than 6 feet tall.

Furious, she began yanking the plants. She collected garbage, pesticides and fertilizer that she found at the scene, and plans to bring what she found to the Sonoma County Board of Supervisors to show them.

Vellutini said she has had mixed results with Sonoma County law enforcement. Since she discovered the garden in 2005, sheriff's deputies and Department of Justice agents do annual flyovers and attempt to seize any plants they see.

'I've had it,' landowner says

But Vellutini said she has had no help in permanently removing the growers from her property or removing the garbage and contaminants left behind.

"They fly over every year and pull the plants when they see them," she said. "But they never go in to find the growers, arrest them, make them leave, or prevent them from coming back. Every year they come back, and you have the same trash and pollution and damage. I've had it."

Patrick Foy, a warden with the state Department of Fish and Game, said the agency is concerned about poaching, pollution and habitat destruction. The growers will kill any animals they see, either as food or to prevent them from damaging the crop.

Because water is the No. 1 factor for growers when choosing their sites, chemicals used on illegal grow sites end up in creeks and rivers, Foy said. Habitat destruction is apparent as soon as you walk onto one of the grow sites, he said.

Trees cut away

Trees and brush get cut away to make room for the crop. Foy said poachers often flatten a large section of land, tossing the trees, branches and vegetation on the ground to create a makeshift wall to conceal the grow site.

Roundup and other herbicides are used to kill competing flora. Water diversion denies areas of vital fluids, destroying fish and wildlife habitats. The areas around grow sites become dead zones.

The unregulated marijuana crop is sold to consumers with all the grow-site chemicals included. Landowner Vellutini said she doesn't smoke marijuana but is concerned about the health of people who do.

"They don't know what they're smoking," Vellutini said. "I've seen the stuff that's going on them. That stuff is sprayed with so many herbicides and pesticides. It's awful. And I don't know what effect that's having on a person, but it's got to be something. It's toxic pot."

ba-potwars0424_g_SFCG1303519262.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This is such a tired and cliche response but I'll say it anyways. Make it legal and hand it over to a government agency. Problem over.

daw840

Um....maybe if it wasn't still a gray area in respect to legality this kind of shit wouldn't happen. If it was legal to the point that corporations were able to step in and regulate the industry there wouldn't be the need for this kind of shit.

I hope he finds who's doing it and blows their brains out, especially if the cops won't do anything other than destroy it.

Draft

Ickman3400 said:
I hope he finds who's doing it and blows their brains out, especially if the cops won't do anything other than destroy it.
I hope he smokes some and chills the eff out.

daw840 said:
Um....maybe if it wasn't still a gray area in respect to legality this kind of shit wouldn't happen. If it was legal to the point that corporations were able to step in and regulate the industry there wouldn't be the need for this kind of shit.

So true.

They is a huge list of benefits coming out of legalizing it. The main reason it didn't pass in last year's CA election was mainly due to Growers and Dealers voting against it to keep corporations from taking over their business.

Flambe

daw840 said:

You're saying there is a NEED for lethal booby traps to protect the crops you planted on someone else's land?

It's the gov't's fault these poor growers have to resort to these measures!

What the flying fuck o_O

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Draft said:
I am sure you would be totally fine with buying two replacement cars, right? And finding a Deadly bobby trap on your land?

Draft said:

What? He's got scumbags ruining his land, setting traps, letting his animals out to get killed or cause chaos that he's liable for and all the cops will do is destroy the pot. Also, imagine a cop found the pot before the landowner did...next thing he knows he's being arrested.

A bullet in the skull would be too nice for these people.

Ripclawe

Banned
Flambe said:
You're saying there is a NEED for lethal booby traps to protect the crops you planted on someone else's land?

What the flying fuck o_O
The Pot defense force seems to rationalize everything. But if you want to give the law an angle to crack down on growers, this situation will certainly help

Ripclawe said:
But if you want to give the law an angle to crack down on growers, this situation will certainly help

Prohibitionists lying about the effects of marijuana while stubbornly sticking their fingers in their ears and not listening to reason have already given the law plenty of opportunity to "crack down" on people growing, selling, and using marijuana, they hardly need actual reasons to do so.

Arment

Ripclawe said:
The Pot defense force seems to rationalize everything. But if you want to give the law an angle to crack down on growers, this situation will certainly help

I don't think the majority of people who smoke pot would agree this is okay to do on someones land.

I was actually extremely surprised at this type of behavior from growers. I thought they had more class than that. Most of them still do I imagine.

Zebra

Arment said:
I was actually extremely surprised at this type of behavior from growers. I thought they had more class than that. Most of them still do I imagine.

Since when does occupation dictate 'class?' I'm sure there are equal amounts of dicks and saints in the pot growing community, as there are in every group of people where personality is not a restrictive characteristic.

Arment said:
I was actually extremely surprised at this type of behavior from growers. I thought they had more class than that.

There's a big difference between casual or small-business growers (who grow to supply themselves or a small circle of acquaintances/repeat clients) and criminal cartels.

Learn about why Cannabis actualy is prohibited and realise this drug war is fucking bullshit!

"Suply and demand" results in situations like the one the OP mentions.

Legalisation is the only right thing to do.

Albino_Samurai said:
Learn about why Cannabis actualy is prohibited and realise this drug war is fucking bullshit!

"Suply and demand" results in situations like the one the OP mentions.

Legalisation is the only right thing to do.

I'm sure these people will then convert to tax paying business people. It's not like people try and skip cigarette taxes. I have no problem with legalization, but to think these types of people will go away is hardcore naivete.

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I'm sure these people will then convert to tax paying business people. It's not like people try and skip cigarette taxes. I have no problem with legalization, but to think these types of people will go away is hardcore naivete.

Comparing the cigarette and alcohol black markets in terms of cost to society, violence, and so on is ludicrous. Besides, nobody's ever said that the black market that exists for all products would magically disappear. It's the difference between what went on during prohibition and today, and it's a matter of kind and degree.

Tapiozona

Banned
Increased border security means its easier and cheaper to just send the cartel members north and have them grow it in the US rather than try and smuggle it across the border. These illegal farms weren't a problem until the early 2000's and now they're everywhere, not just in california. Home grown, but same source. Mexican cartels.

elrechazao said:
Comparing the cigarette and alcohol black markets in terms of cost to society, violence, and so on is ludicrous. Besides, nobody's ever said that the black market that exists for all products would magically disappear. It's the difference between what went on during prohibition and today, and it's a matter of kind and degree.
We are talking about the the type of people described in this article. All most of them would do is convert to tax avoidance (which in itself may require them to maintain the growing setup).

linkboy

Arment said:
I don't think the majority of people who smoke pot would agree this is okay to do on someones land.

I grew up in Northern California and these aren't your typical growers who are growing it just for recreational use. These aren't people growing a few plants, they're professional drug smugglers and some of them have ties to the drug cartels down in Mexico.

That's why its as big of a problem as it is.

Tapiozona

Banned
linkboy said:
I grew up in Northern California and these aren't your typical growers who are growing it just for recreational use. These aren't people growing a few plants, they're professional drug smugglers and some of them have ties to the drug cartels down in Mexico.

That's why its as big of a problem as it is.

MOST of them have ties to the drug cartels.

So far for 2010, 75% of those arrested are people hired by the cartels to grow in the states.

I'm sure these people will then convert to tax paying business people.

No, those people will probably go do something else illegal because they are inveterate criminals, but given that pot is a wildly profitable, high-volume business that's easy to get into, it's likely whatever else they get up to will be much less profitable while legitimate business picks up the slack. In general, widespread cartelized criminal business blossoms under conditions of prohibition and becomes much less successful when legal alternatives to its products exist.

daw840

Flambe said:

What the flying fuck o_O
I am not even sure what the hell you are saying here. I didn't say anything close to that. I said, if this was just legal and not just sort of legal then corporations would step in and put all these scumbags out of business.

charlequin said:
No, those people will probably go do something else illegal because they are inveterate criminals, but given that pot is a wildly profitable, high-volume business that's easy to get into, it's likely whatever else they get up to will be much less profitable while legitimate business picks up the slack. In general, widespread cartelized criminal business blossoms under conditions of prohibition and becomes much less successful when legal alternatives to its products exist.

Not when they can simply avoid the (inevitably) high taxes sold on the items and the fact its now more of a revenue crime versus a drug crime.

The drug has close to zero negative consequences that don't stem from its illegality. Legalize and legitimize the buying and selling of it, and this kind of shit will all but disappear. Of course there will be a few holdouts, but the demand for illegal and "tax free" pot will likely be an insignificantly minute fraction.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Haha, when I was in highschool my friends and I found this place that was like a 65minute drive out of town and tried to grow plants there.

I think after the third time coming to check on them we forgot where we planted them.

elrechazao said:
Comparing the cigarette and alcohol black markets in terms of cost to society, violence, and so on is ludicrous.

It is ludicrous.

Compare the effects of 1 kg of pot and 1l (the equivalent amount) of vodka.

People dont seem to get that the reason drugs have such a large black market is because a very small amount has a very large effect.

Joates

Banned
Devolution said:
Got actual sources for that?

Any grow with over 1000 plants Id venture to say is likely tied to some sort of criminal organization.

Its been a big problem with water contamination for quite a while now.

Not when they can simply avoid the (inevitably) high taxes sold on the items and the fact its now more of a revenue crime versus a drug crime.

What are you suggesting here? If it's "no, cartels will keep selling pot illegally" then no, that won't happen, for pretty much the same reason that you don't see massive bootleg whiskey operations running today to help people get around alcohol tax. The vast majority of marijuana customers will absolutely choose the convenience of taxed but legal pot over continuing to deal with criminals.

Marijuana prohibition is like a giant federal handout to crime organizations. I would be hard-pressed to think of any other product that is as desirable, relatively safe, and easy to produce which criminals currently have an effective monopoly over.

Joates said:
Any grow with over 1000 plants Id venture to say is likely tied to some sort of criminal organization.

Its been a big problem with water contamination for quite a while now.

I'll ask again, got any sources for that?

Gallbaro

Banned
Wouldn't happen if the owners could outright shoot them. Also there are no grey zones with pot, it is still 100% illegal in every state.

charlequin said:
What are you suggesting here? If it's "no, cartels will keep selling pot illegally" then no, that won't happen, for pretty much the same reason that you don't see massive bootleg whiskey operations running today to help people get around alcohol tax. The vast majority of marijuana customers will absolutely choose the convenience of taxed but legal pot over continuing to deal with criminals.

Marijuana prohibition is like a giant federal handout to crime organizations. I would be hard-pressed to think of any other product that is as desirable, relatively safe, and easy to produce which criminals currently have an effective monopoly over.

There are a shit-ton of bootleggers in rural america.

Gaborn

Tapiozona said:
MOST of them have ties to the drug cartels.

So far for 2010, 75% of those arrested are people hired by the cartels to grow in the states.

I wish people wouldn't spout shit like this without evidence. There is absolutely NO evidence that one of the most heavily regulated industries in the COUNTRY with a ridiculous amount of scrutiny would ally themselves with the cartels directly or indirectly. Every single bit of marijuana legally sold in the dispensaries (and that's ALL the dispensaries do, why risk selling some illegally?) is accounted for, we know where it came from and who grew it.

Gallbaro said:
Wouldn't happen if the owners could outright shoot them.

I was kinda surprised that this isn't what the story was about. Everything I've heard about CA growers is that they're pretty well armed and that you could get yourself killed for wandering into the wrong area.

Joates

Banned
Gaborn said:
I wish people wouldn't spout shit like this without evidence. There is absolutely NO evidence that one of the most heavily regulated industries in the COUNTRY with a ridiculous amount of scrutiny would ally themselves with the cartels directly or indirectly. Every single bit of marijuana legally sold in the dispensaries (and that's ALL the dispensaries do, why risk selling some illegally?) is accounted for, we know where it came from and who grew it.

Hes not referring to the people supplying dispensaries, because you know, those arent the ones booby trapping their shit and trespassing ;)

Gallbaro

Banned
Salmonax said:
How much of a percentage of the overall liquor market does this shit-ton represent?

I never claimed to know a percentage, but I am not even a heavy drinker, or a southerner, and I know where to get moonshine down here.

Kurtofan

. It looks like a giant wooden flyswatter with about 20 to 30 punji sticks - sharpened sticks frequently encountered during the Vietnam War - pressed through it.

Sir, do we get to get high this time?

slit

Gallbaro said:
I never claimed to know a percentage, but I am not even a heavy drinker, or a southerner, and I know where to get moonshine down here.

Yeah but this situation is different. If people wanted to avoid the pot tax all they have to do is grow their own with very little training. Moonshine is much more complicated to make and could possibly kill you if you don't know what you're doing. That won't happen with Marijuana.

charlequin said:

It will happen for the same reason the mob still has massive operations to sell untaxed cigarettes. I'm not debating legalization is good or bad, just saying that it's not going to wipe out all these people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_smuggling

In the United States each of the fifty states tax cigarette packs at a different price. In 1992 states charged an average of 25 cents. By January 2002 that average increased to 45 cents. Six months later states, trying to compensate for budget deficits, raised their cigarette taxes to an average 54 cents. According to John D'Angelo of the U.S. government's Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF), there is a "direct relationship between the increase in a state's tax and an increase in illegal trafficking." The U.S. government foiled funding operations by Al Qaeda in New York in 1999 and Hezbollah in North Carolina in 2002.[1]

It has been reported that smuggling one truckload of cigarettes within the United States can lead to a profit of US$2 million.

It will happen for the same reason the mob still has massive operations to sell untaxed cigarettes. I'm not debating legalization is good or bad, just saying that it's not going to wipe out all these people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarette_smuggling
And as I already said, comparing the two is ludicrous. Smuggling to avoid customs and taxes is not equal to the all out madness that occurs due to prohibition.

elrechazao said:
And as I already said, comparing the two is ludicrous. Smuggling to avoid customs and taxes is not equal to the all out madness that occurs due to prohibition.

I am only talking about these type of lunatics and cartels in the boonies of CA (and to an extent OK and some other states). I just feel that many of these people will not transition away. Why do so when you control production and only need to work on transportatio; which most of these groups and people already have.

Gallbaro said:
There are a shit-ton of bootleggers in rural america.

There are many, many orders of magnitude sitting between the people running moonshine stills out in the woods and the volume of illegally distributed marijuana. There'd still be a gray market (as there is for any product with restrictions on its use and/or sale) but not one that would at all be economically significant on the same level as the massive black market today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom