• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CA pot growers encroaching on private land, setting up booby traps with punji sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joates said:
What people in the hills?
They're going to keep doing the same thing they're doing now, or worse start building meth labs like a bunch of them do. I'm not saying every weed dealer is going to not go legit or stay in business I just expect these people to transit to smuggling, since they already own the production.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Jtwo said:
Haha, when I was in highschool my friends and I found this place that was like a 65minute drive out of town and tried to grow plants there.

I think after the third time coming to check on them we forgot where we planted them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the effect of smoking pot!

:p

elrechazao said:
legalize it and this won't be a problem. Nobody sets spring loaded shotguns over their cucumbers or tobacco.

This pretty much. They're going these crazy lengths because it's illegal. If it was legal, people could have their own farms for it, out in the open and regulated by the proper authorities in terms of waste management and restrictions.

Joates

Banned
Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
They're going to keep doing the same thing they're doing now, or worse start building meth labs like a bunch of them do. I'm not saying every weed dealer is going to not go legit or stay in business I just expect these people to transit to smuggling, since they already own the production.

I dont think creating more meth supply is going to necessarily equate to more demand as well... Theres a huge demand for weed.

And they will no longer own production if its legalized, so...

Joates said:
I dont think creating more meth supply is going to necessarily equate to more demand as well... Theres a huge demand for weed.

And they will no longer own production if its legalized, so...
The meth thing is more of a mentioning of the types of things these armed farmers also tend to do. I've read reports of people camping and finding meth labs.

How will they no longer own production if weed is legalized (which I'm not arguing against)?

Joates

Banned
The meth thing is more of a mentioning of the types of things these armed farmers also tend to do. I've read reports of people camping and finding meth labs.

How will they no longer own production if weed is legalized (which I'm not arguing against)?

Chances are, if the market is legalized, a massive influx of legal corporations would get into the market, as there would be plenty of profits to eat up.

Thus the corporations would likely control production (Shocking, I know).

Unless youre going to attempt to tell me the illegal corporations could do a better/more efficient job than the corporations at running shit?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
siddx said:
This is such a tired and cliche response but I'll say it anyways. Make it legal and hand it over to a government agency. Problem over.
We tried.

Gallbaro

Banned
Joates said:
Chances are, if the market is legalized, a massive influx of legal corporations would get into the market, as there would be plenty of profits to eat up.

Unless youre going to attempt to tell me the illegal corporations could do a better/more efficient job than the corporations at running shit?

Not familiar with pot at all, but, I cannot imagine their are any economies of scale for corporations to actually get involved with pot production. Its a weed that requires minimal attention that anyone could grow. Why would corporations get involved if their is no refinement process.

Joates

Banned
Gallbaro said:
Not familiar with pot at all, but, I cannot imagine their are any economies of scale for corporations to actually get involved with pot production. Its a weed that requires minimal attention that anyone could grow. Why would corporations get involved if their is no refinement process.

Its only fair to assume it will be regulated, unlikely average joe is going to be able to produce it. But even if he were, being able to go to the store and by a product of consistent quality is a pretty easy option, as opposed to growing it.

And you could also argue that from pretty much any plant based produce, people grow tomatoes at home, yet Im sure its still a multi million dollar a year industry (probably more).

And thats where corporations have a tiny advantage, distribution channels ;)

Why are we talking about the legalization of marijuana here? Shouldn't the focus be on people destroying and trespassing on private property? There is no excuse for that at all. Whether the drug is legal or not.

Joates

Banned
GoldenEye 007 said:
Why are we talking about the legalization of marijuana here? Shouldn't the focus be on people destroying and trespassing on private property? There is no excuse for that at all. Whether the drug is legal or not.

If the drug were legal, the likelihood of this happening drops considerably.

What's stopping these people from buying/using their own land? Is there a land shortage to the point that they are stealing and destroying innocent people's property?

GoldenEye 007 said:
What's stopping these people from buying/using their own land? Is there a land shortage to the point that they are stealing and destroying innocent people's property?
Why would you buy your own land in order to engage in a massively illegal enterprise? I don't think you'd make a very good criminal :D

Joates said:

My point is these people won't want to abandon their profits and that they also won't totally need too. Honestly, I still think there was a movement by growers against legalization because they feared corporate takeover (which I agree would be better).

Joates

Banned
My point is these people won't want to abandon their profits and that they also won't totally need too. Honestly, I still think there was a movement by growers against legalization because they feared corporate takeover (which I agree would be better).

Say what?

Are you talking in reference to Cali growers and prop 19 or what?

And "abandoning profits"? The profits will simply shrink as the legal market takes a large share of the illegal market away...

methos75

Banned
Man, if someone on came on my land and started growing weed and setting up bobby traps, I would mined the area around their weed and watch as they blew the fuck up.

Joates said:
Say what?

Are you talking in reference to Cali growers and prop 19 or what?
Yeah, I recall some articles talking to growers around Prop 19 claiming that the major Tobacco companies were copyrighting certain names of weed and buying prime land.

Joates said:
And "abandoning profits"? The profits will simply shrink as the legal market takes a large share of the illegal market away...

Shrink, but not disappear.

elrechazao said:
Why would you buy your own land in order to engage in a massively illegal enterprise? I don't think you'd make a very good criminal :D
That's no excuse to put other people's safety, property, and reputation at risk. Sorry.

Further, wouldn't owning your own land actually create less suspicion? Who's going to complain about things going on on your property unless someone is there that shouldn't be or if you complain yourself?

GoldenEye 007 said:
That's no excuse to put other people's safety, property, and reputation at risk. Sorry.

Further, wouldn't owning your own land actually create less suspicion? Who's going to complain about things going on on your property unless someone is there that shouldn't be or if you complain yourself?
Somehow I think international cartels of murderers wouldn't care about your appeal to common decency.

And 2, no.

GoldenEye 007 said:

Land is expensive, why would they go to the trouble of buying new land every time their crop/land was seized due to illegal activities. Surely it would be easier to just set up shop on land for dispensaries and cultivate your plant there.

daw840

GoldenEye 007 said:

Haha, you act as though these criminals give a single Fuck about people they are hurting. You do know what a criminal is right?

shuri

Banned
People doing this are hardcore criminals, not retardo teenagers. A few years ago there was a lot of places discovered like this on farmers lands; and it turned out that the farmers were 'encouraged' by biker gangs at gunpoint to let them grow stuff on their lands; or else.

What about compared to the people in the hills? That's more what I'm driving at.

We'd still be looking at a far lower volume of illicit production and therefore less people growing illegally on other people's property, setting up booby traps, etc.

Gallbaro said:
Why would corporations get involved if their is no refinement process.

You can grow tomatoes in your backyard too, but when people want a BLT they still usually go to the supermarket or the diner.

GoldenEye 007 said:
That's no excuse to put other people's safety, property, and reputation at risk.

I agree. If only there were a way to ensure that marijuana was grown primarily by law-abiding citizens instead of murderous thugs....

daw840 said:
Haha, you act as though these criminals give a single Fuck about people they are hurting. You do know what a criminal is right?
I know they don't. Which is why I pointed out it is strange to ignore them and their actions but point to other things as if they're the victim somehow.

Joates

Banned
GoldenEye 007 said:
I know they don't. Which is why I pointed out it is strange to ignore them and their actions but point to other things as if they're the victim somehow.

Average grower is not what this article is talking about... Thats what youre failing to realize.

GoldenEye 007 said:

Nobody is suggesting that these people are victims; people are, however, suggesting that we use legal means to destroy their criminal business.

I am fairly certain that every pro-legalization person in this thread would be perfectly happy to legalize marijuana and still arrest and jail anyone who had engaged in illegal growing and boobytrapping on other people's property.

charlequin said:
I am fairly certain that every pro-legalization person in this thread would be perfectly happy to legalize marijuana and still arrest and jail anyone who had engaged in illegal growing and boobytrapping on other people's property.

Yup. Sounds good.

daw840

GoldenEye 007 said:
Where in this thread has anyone even suggested that these criminals are "victims?" That's insane.

charlequin said:
Nobody is suggesting that these people are victims; people are, however, suggesting that we use legal means to destroy their criminal business.

Hit the nail on the head here.

charlequin said:

I would agree with that. However this thread isn't about the legalization of marijuana, which I otherwise agree with.

There was a bunch of, well had it been legal, people wouldn't have to do this! Instead of talking about the crap the property owners have to go through and the the thread being framed around that. Although some people addressed that before I did too.

daw840

GoldenEye 007 said:
I would agree with that. However this thread isn't about the legalization of marijuana, which I otherwise agree with.

There was a bunch of, well had it been legal, people wouldn't have to do this! Instead of talking about the crap the property owners have to go through and the the thread being framed around that. Although some people addressed that before I did too.

But that's like saying the sky is blue isn't it? I mean, what discussion is there to be had in regards to people coming onto other people's property and setting deadly booby traps!? Of course this is wrong, we need to figure out how to discourage it. Legalizing marijuana and letting big corporations jump in the ring instead of a bunch of thugs and criminals seems to be the consensus on how to get that accomplished.

Zenith

Banned
Funny to see so many people blaming the government for there being a law against it rather than the perpetrators. Setting up punji sticks and polluting the ground, they're just your friendly neighbourhood dealers trying to spread the love!

daw840

Zenith said:
Funny to see so many people blaming the government for there being a law against it rather than the perpetrators. Setting up punji sticks and polluting the ground, they're just your friendly neighbourhood dealers trying to spread the love!

Who are these fucking people that called these guys "friendly neighborhood dealers?" I swear, sometimes people on this board just like to put words in people's mouth. Fucking ridiculous. Yes, of course placing punji sticks on someone else's land is fucked. No one here is saying anything other than that!

Joates

Banned
Zenith said:

Only those arent the people setting up these sites ;)

And again, why are they going to such great lengths to protect their grows and doing other illegal activities as well? Because its profitable, and why is that? Because its illegal.

fyi the castle doctrine doesn't allow the indiscriminate shooting of anyone on your property for simple trespass, in any jurisdiction.

linkboy

Have some people in this thread been to the area of California in question. Its not like the Bay Area or LA. Mendocino County only has a population of 86k people and there is a lot of open area to grow.

The marijuana grown by these growers doesn't go to a marijuana dispensary, nor does the money. It goes into the drug trade, that's why the growers are so protective and resort to traps like that.

Making marijuana legal isn't going do anything to these people, all they'll do is just move onto something else (like meth, which states like Montana are having a huge problem with).

Satyamdas

Banned
Gaborn said:
I wish people wouldn't spout shit like this without evidence. There is absolutely NO evidence that one of the most heavily regulated industries in the COUNTRY with a ridiculous amount of scrutiny would ally themselves with the cartels directly or indirectly. Every single bit of marijuana legally sold in the dispensaries (and that's ALL the dispensaries do, why risk selling some illegally?) is accounted for, we know where it came from and who grew it.
This is totally and completely FALSE. I won't divulge my exact dealings with dispensaries, but I can unequivocally state that they do not keep records about who they buy their weed from, who grew it, or anything of the sort. They routinely pay growers with duffle bags full of cash, and there is nary a paper trail to be found.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Satyamdas said:
This is totally and completely FALSE. I won't divulge my exact dealings with dispensaries, but I can unequivocally state that they do not keep records about who they buy their weed from, who grew it, or anything of the sort. They routinely pay growers with duffle bags full of cash, and there is nary a paper trail to be found.
From my limited personal experience with this, I would say you're right. Some do keep records, but there's a lot of shady dispensaries out there.

DoomGyver

Last year, Mendocino County found that trespassing growers had clear-cut trees and destroyed vegetation, diverted streams and littered the landscape with animal carcasses, garbage, human waste, herbicides and animal poisons.

What people will do for their stupid drugs, goddamn.

charlequin said:
Criminal enterprises cannot compete on price with legitimate business.
Software & intellectual property piracy says hi. Counterfeit goods is big biz.

There are many legitimate business being undercut by criminal organizations. Legalizing pot may not be a deterrent. For one thing, criminal orgs would still flourish as they attempt to skirt regulation that legit growers would be bound to.

monchi-kun said:
Software & intellectual property piracy says hi. Counterfeit goods is big biz.

There are many legitimate business being undercut by criminal organizations. Legalizing pot may not be a deterrent. For one thing, criminal orgs would still flourish as they attempt to skirt regulation that legit growers would be bound to.
If only there were some difference between digital copying, and fungible drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom