• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

MattyG

Banned
There was a lot of lines from Spacey that were in the trailer but not in the game. Some of them were pretty good too, I'm a little disappointed.

Also, I'm a little upset we didn't get our
obligatory All Ghilied Up-esque sniper mission.

bebop242

Did anybody get the digital upgrade to work going from 360 to XB1? Bought the 360 version this morning and it still says $59.99 in the XB1 store.

so apparently my facebook friend just got off the phone with MS support and was told the next gen upgrade is borked and told her it won't be available until the 10th (wtf?). She ended up asking for credit to purchase the xbox one version and they gave it to her.

How did it work in COD4? I also loved COD4's spawning, there was a logical flow to it.

Is there an explanation as to how/what they changed, and what COD4 was like?
In COD4 both teams had a spawn area on one side of the map, normally you would spawn around where you did when the game started.
The only times spawns moved was if more than half the enemy team were on your half of the map it would flip the spawns.

Back around W@W they started "trying to get you back in the action sooner"
and thats was the downfall, MW2 got by do to the map design but everything after that had the same spawns.

got off to a bad start and i still have the occasional bad games (usually when my teammates are really bad...like multiple dudes going -10) but slowly crawling my way back to 1.0 k/d.

boosting and double jumping is so much fun but you kind of need to tone it down or you're going to die FAST in this game.

trying to go "stealth" by using exo-mute and the one perk that hides your exo-ping from the mini-map.

does exo mute even work

you can barely hear footsteps in this game despite people literally being attached to metal objects lol

i dont understand how CoD continues to fail at footstep noise despite offering so many perks in relation to it over the years

belvedere

Junior Butler
Maps are so so like the last few years imo..

I don't know if it's just me but it'd eels like im always surrounded when I run out to kill someone.

Love. If you're a fan of smaller, more arena like maps you'll enjoy them. Favorite right after MW's.

Layouts are the best in years, "themes" are the worst

Sounds promising then. I loved the MW1 & MW2 maps, followed by bops1 and bops2.

It's funny, and pleasing, to me that we seem to have gone full circle with FPS design since the late 90s.

Back then, the FPS games of the day were all about balls-out speed and mobility. Quake 3, UT, all the mods for Half-Life (sans one important one we'll get to late), had you bouncing around maps like jack rabbits on crack, dodging bullets and rockets and firing back. It was glorious and fun.

Then as we hit the new millenium, slower and more tactical games started to get more popular. Your Rainbow Sixes, Ghost Recons, even Countrer-Strike - which, I know was still fast and twitchy as hell - stapled you to the ground and made you think more about your approach, position and weapon selection than 'run as fast as you can, shoot everything, pick up the best weapon you can find, repeat'.

Then Halo hit on consoles, and set the 'language', for lack of a better term, for FPS design for the next 10 years. Whether in deference to the limitations of the controller input or simply because they wanted to, Bungie set the template for shooters that were a little slower, less vertical, about assessing engagements before you took the first shot, and incentivizing retreat, regrouping and re-engagement when necessary (recharging shields being the big reason).

And now, thanks to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare - fittingly built on the Quake 3 engine for so long - we started climbing right back up to where we started. Faster and faster, less thought, more go, go, go. Titan Fall and now Advanced Warfare brought the mobility back with jet-packs and wall-running and dashing, and it's great.

It feels like home again. :)

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I just can't find a good game, red bars everywhere.

If it wasn't for the double XP, I'd just go play the campaign.
Honestly I'm giving up. This whole dedicated server lie of theirs has completely soured me on Sledgehammer Games. I don't care how much I like the game, that type of bait and switch is absolutely disgusting. I'm genuinely shocked and appaled that more people aren't calling them out on it.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
I'm getting better. Raised my KDR from .97 to 1.17 in about 10 matches or so today. I think I've gone positive in about 15 straight now.

I really don't want to go to work.

Honestly I'm giving up. This whole dedicated server lie of theirs has completely soured me on Sledgehammer Games. I don't care how much I like the game, that type of bait and switch is absolutely disgusting. I'm genuinely shocked and appaled that more people aren't calling them out on it.

Calling them out..Why would I do that? Had it since Fri. Same flawless/lag free results since launch with millions playing..nothing to complain about from my end.

Klyka

Banned

I'm not calling them out cause I am in games where everyone has full bars and have never been in anything else.

So like, why should I call them out?

Played another 3 games a bit ago on PS4, and besides the fact that I keep getting worse the game was great. No lag at all and connecting was working just fine.

Z_Y

anyone? I have a friend on facebook with same prob.

Seems like this is a big issue on the Activision and XBL forums. MS blaming Activision and Activision blaming MS. It's a Charlie Foxtrot.

Surprised not many people complaining about it here on GAF. I'm just curious if ANYBODY here has been able to get the 360 to XB1 upgrade to work at all. I bought the 360 edition this morning...wondering if the timing has anything to do with it.

so apparently my facebook friend just got off the phone with MS support and was told the next gen upgrade is borked and told her it won't be available until the 10th (wtf?). She ended up asking for credit to purchase the xbox one version and they gave it to her.

Well that sounds like a BS response Glad that they gave her a refund though. What a mess.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one noticing in single player on PS4 that it occassionally freezes for like a split second.
Blink and you miss it, but its there.

joecanada

If it wasn't for the double XP, I'd just go play the campaign.

I was so hyped to buy this game as my first COD in years, and now this is what I hear about this game all the time. BLOPS 2 was a joke connection wise, unless they admit to having chronic lag issues in this game series and address it, I remain out.

Nori Chan

Hit ditection is still shit lol

You would think that 11/4 snuck up on them and didn't realize that dedicated servers were needed in this game. I rather play with one gun and one kill streak and play in dedicated servers than to keep playing this

Sojgat

LOL

Matchmaking starts the game with 3 v 6 (3 players on the larger team all having the same clan tag).

WTF?

I was so hyped to buy this game as my first COD in years, and now this is what I hear about this game all the time. BLOPS 2 was a joke connection wise, unless they admit to having chronic lag issues in this game series and address it, I remain out.

Apart from the awful netcode, the game is great. It's a real shame.

RedAssedApe

Banned
does exo mute even work

you can barely hear footsteps in this game despite people literally being attached to metal objects lol

i dont understand how CoD continues to fail at footstep noise despite offering so many perks in relation to it over the years

it helps me in picking out other people's footsteps because i can't hear myself stomping around lol...so in that regards yes? i mostly use it while indoors

it also seems to last longer than some of the other exo abilities i tried.

I pulled up the clan on the app but I don't see where I can request to join. Or is this an Xbone clan?

Should be the PS4 clan. On the bottom bar of the app there should be a magnifying glass to search for clans just to the right of a COD logo. I'm looking at it on an iPhone 6, btw.

Pat_DC

I was having a lot of issues before (on ps4) and teleporting and lagging everywhere.

I tried a few things (hard wired, wifi, dancing to the lag gods) then last night I double checked my NAT settings and decided to set up a static ip for my ps4 as I had recently gotten a new modem so it wasn't set up any more. I used the guide here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTaVVUQhJSk

There are probably better ones but this one worked for me.
Anyway I haven't had any teleporting since and games have been very solid (feels like a completely different game). Of course this might have been all luck and my connection normalised but if you are having issues and your ps4 isn't on a static ip maybe give it a go? Only problem is I no longer can blame lag for crappy skills :(

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Calling them out..Why would I do that? Had it since Fri. Same flawless/lag free results since launch with millions playing..nothing to complain about from my end.

I'm not calling them out cause I am in games where everyone has full bars and have never been in anything else.

So like, why should I call them out?
Ahh, the "it's not happening to me so it must not be happening at all" mentality. So the fact that they claimed we'd be having dedicated servers only to not have them at all is ok with you?

Now don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of games where it runs great, and when it does it's an absolute blast to play, but claiming one thing only to deliver another without any sort of explanation is ridiculous and something they need to be called out on.

Also, which version are you two playing? I'm starting to wonder if these connection issues are primarily with the PS4 version.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one noticing in single player on PS4 that it occassionally freezes for like a split second.
Blink and you miss it, but its there.

This only happened to me at one particular checkpoint in the second to last level, but it was a consistent seconds-long freeze every time I started.

aravuus

Eugh, the shitty spawns are really highlighted in Momentum. Lots of instant deaths in the last game I played.

It was Riot though which is a shitty Momentum map anyway.

Klyka

Banned
Ahh, the "it's not happening to me so it must not be happening at all" mentality. So the fact that they claimed we'd be having dedicated servers only to not have them at all is ok with you?

Now don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of games where it runs great, and when it does it's an absolute blast to play, but claiming one thing only to deliver another without any sort of explanation is ridiculous and something they need to be called out on.

Meh, who knows if dedicated servers won't come down the line.
For now the game is fun and I have no connection issues and the usual P2P jank is really not worth even talking about anymore seeing how it's been on for, I don't know, years now and we should all be used to it by now.

Edit: I play on PC.

Duxxy3

For people that have no problem with the AW servers - go play titanfall for an hour and then come back to AW.

Klyka

Banned
For people that have no problem with the AW servers - go play titanfall for an hour and then come back to AW.

Titanfall is a wonderful wonderful game and it's online runs beautifully.
As much as I would love to have AW run like that right now, it doesn't and there is no point to me spilling tears over it.

th4tguy

Are you still in a clan from a previous game? Also you have hit the 3 little dots in the upper right hand corner.

Should be the PS4 clan. On the bottom bar of the app there should be a magnifying glass to search for clans just to the right of a COD logo. I'm looking at it on an iPhone 6, btw.

Hitting the three dots at the top while viewing the clan worked. Thanks. I thought the three dots always had the same actions under it no matter what you were looking at. Turns out, it's dependent upon what you are viewing at the time.

I can't believe that it has taken this many CODs (since World ar War) to finally get "war" back (now called momentum). Although these new maps still have some growing pains with spawn placements.

Mastamind

Played a bit of local multi with bots to avoid the lag and for some reason it seemed to occasionally stutter. Hopefully they will fix that in the update and explain what happened to their "dedicated servers" that the guy even confirmed in the AMA yesterday.

Zombine

Banned
Wow does my K/D improve once I go back to classic. Exo suits are fun, but they should definitely turn the health up in the primary mode.

jorgejjvr

Question, a buddy of mine is lending me his ps3 to play AW, supposedly if I buy it digitally I can upgrade to the ps4 version when I buy me a ps4? It says offer ends on March 2015, but does that mean I have to have a ps4 by March or the game downloaded digitally by then and then get the free ps4 version whenever?

And does everything transfer over?

If there is one thing I strongly dislike about this game, its ammo disappearing when you reload. Don't know if its a purposeful decision or a glitch, but either way I want it gone.

Boston

Vietnam would be cool. I also dig WW2. I never got tired of that era.

How would you feel if they brought back vehicles? I just watched Fury and wondered how they would (re)introduce vehicles. Lol.

A Treyarch game revolving around a tank battalion.

They had tanks in WaW and it was awesome. I hope they bring back WW2 or Vietnam so bad, I'm so sick of futuristic cods.

Duxxy3

If there is one thing I strongly dislike about this game, its ammo disappearing when you reload. Don't know if its a purposeful decision or a glitch, but either way I want it gone.

If you double tap the reload button you lose what was left of your clip. It reloads just a bit faster when you do that.

The Beard

does exo mute even work

I can't hear any footsteps besides my own either, but I've had a couple opposing players react to my footsteps though. They must have their headsets programmed to pick them up or something.

Top Bottom