• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare |OT| House of CODs

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If there is one thing I strongly dislike about this game, its ammo disappearing when you reload. Don't know if its a purposeful decision or a glitch, but either way I want it gone.
I read somewhere that it's a glitch, but that hasn't been confirmed. Thank goodness for scavenger. XD

jorgejjvr

Question, a buddy of mine is lending me his ps3 to play AW, supposedly if I buy it digitally I can upgrade to the ps4 version when I buy me a ps4? It says offer ends on March 2015, but does that mean I have to have a ps4 by March or the game downloaded digitally by then and then get the free ps4 version whenever?

And does everything transfer over?

Korten

Banned
Completed the Single Player. Damn that was great. Honestly my favorite CoD SP thus far, with BLOPII trailing just a little bit behind.

Interesting, some of the lines and such and scenes from trailers aren't in the SP, but in the Intel. As far as I can tell there's 2 cutscenes in the Intel you can unlock.

Sojgat

If you double tap the reload button you lose what was left of your clip. It reloads just a bit faster when you do that.

This is how it's meant to work, but for many people it's doing the fast reload every time. Apparently it might have something to do with reloading often. It's a glitch.

Ahh, the "it's not happening to me so it must not be happening at all" mentality. So the fact that they claimed we'd be having dedicated servers only to not have them at all is ok with you?

Now don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of games where it runs great, and when it does it's an absolute blast to play, but claiming one thing only to deliver another without any sort of explanation is ridiculous and something they need to be called out on.

Also, which version are you two playing? I'm starting to wonder if these connection issues are primarily with the PS4 version.

I hear you, I'm just saying what I'm experiencing on my end. Can't really complain with any issues regarding MP.

Got it for both( PS4/X1 ) but only played on X1 so far. Im dead serious matches feels like I'm playing on local play..lol that gud!

Duxxy3

This is how it's meant to work, but for many people it's doing the fast reload every time. Apparently it might have something to do with reloading often. It's a glitch.

It is one of the cooler, less known, mechanics in the game that I think every COD should have from here on (when it works properly). It gives the player another decisions to make - should I do a slow reload and risk getting killed, or do I do a quick reload and lose what's left of my clip.

PatmanBegins

Neo Member
It's funny, and pleasing, to me that we seem to have gone full circle with FPS design since the late 90s.

Back then, the FPS games of the day were all about balls-out speed and mobility. Quake 3, UT, all the mods for Half-Life (sans one important one we'll get to late), had you bouncing around maps like jack rabbits on crack, dodging bullets and rockets and firing back. It was glorious and fun.

Then as we hit the new millenium, slower and more tactical games started to get more popular. Your Rainbow Sixes, Ghost Recons, even Countrer-Strike - which, I know was still fast and twitchy as hell - stapled you to the ground and made you think more about your approach, position and weapon selection than 'run as fast as you can, shoot everything, pick up the best weapon you can find, repeat'.

Then Halo hit on consoles, and set the 'language', for lack of a better term, for FPS design for the next 10 years. Whether in deference to the limitations of the controller input or simply because they wanted to, Bungie set the template for shooters that were a little slower, less vertical, about assessing engagements before you took the first shot, and incentivizing retreat, regrouping and re-engagement when necessary (recharging shields being the big reason).

And now, thanks to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare - fittingly built on the Quake 3 engine for so long - we started climbing right back up to where we started. Faster and faster, less thought, more go, go, go. Titan Fall and now Advanced Warfare brought the mobility back with jet-packs and wall-running and dashing, and it's great.

It feels like home again. :)

Completely agree - this return to true arcade shootan' is so welcomed. Bombing Run in Unreal Tournament was my obsession back in the day, and seeing it in spirit through the new Uplink mode paired with the new mobility makes me ridiculously happy.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I hear you, I'm just saying what I'm experiencing on my end. Can't really complain with any issues regarding MP.

Got it for both( PS4/X1 ) but only played on X1 so far. Im dead serious matches feels like I'm playing on local play..lol that gud!
I'm so jealous right now. Although I think it speaks to the games quality that despite the connection issues I'm running into, I can't stop playing. Easily the best COD in years and it's right alongside Titanfall as my favorite FPS of the year. With the MCC next week, I'll be in FPS Heaven for a long, long time.

Nokterian

It's funny, and pleasing, to me that we seem to have gone full circle with FPS design since the late 90s.

Back then, the FPS games of the day were all about balls-out speed and mobility. Quake 3, UT, all the mods for Half-Life (sans one important one we'll get to late), had you bouncing around maps like jack rabbits on crack, dodging bullets and rockets and firing back. It was glorious and fun.

Then as we hit the new millenium, slower and more tactical games started to get more popular. Your Rainbow Sixes, Ghost Recons, even Countrer-Strike - which, I know was still fast and twitchy as hell - stapled you to the ground and made you think more about your approach, position and weapon selection than 'run as fast as you can, shoot everything, pick up the best weapon you can find, repeat'.

Then Halo hit on consoles, and set the 'language', for lack of a better term, for FPS design for the next 10 years. Whether in deference to the limitations of the controller input or simply because they wanted to, Bungie set the template for shooters that were a little slower, less vertical, about assessing engagements before you took the first shot, and incentivizing retreat, regrouping and re-engagement when necessary (recharging shields being the big reason).

And now, thanks to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare - fittingly built on the Quake 3 engine for so long - we started climbing right back up to where we started. Faster and faster, less thought, more go, go, go. Titan Fall and now Advanced Warfare brought the mobility back with jet-packs and wall-running and dashing, and it's great.

Aye i agree with this going faster and faster i like it. And people who complain? Well time to ADAPT and LEARN how we did it back in the day. GOTTA GO FAST!

jeffc919

Repost from a few pages ago...

Any news/updates on what's going on with dedicated servers (or listen/hybrid/proxy/whatever servers)? I think they said the game would have them but they were a little vague and evasive. For all the praise the game is getting for being an improvement over last year's Ghosts, it would be really disappointing if they've gone back to pure P2P and thrown out the one positive thing that Ghosts had going for it.

BigShow36

Ahh, the "it's not happening to me so it must not be happening at all" mentality. So the fact that they claimed we'd be having dedicated servers only to not have them at all is ok with you?

Now don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of games where it runs great, and when it does it's an absolute blast to play, but claiming one thing only to deliver another without any sort of explanation is ridiculous and something they need to be called out on.

Has it been confirmed that they are not running on dedis? I'm not disagreeing, on average the latency seems much worse in this game than past CoD, but that doesn't mean it's not running on dedicated servers.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Has it been confirmed that they are not running on dedis? I'm not disagreeing, on average the latency seems much worse in this game than past CoD, but that doesn't mean it's not running on dedicated servers.
I've seen a few host migrations since I've been playing, so that would lead me to believe that it's still p2p. Plus, I think they mentioned somewhere that the dedicated servers would come eventually. They're just very vague on which platforms and when.

CozMick

Banned
Dedicated servers mean shit if they're all based in the US.

Give me a guy in the UK hosting p2p rather than a server somewhere in Americaland any day of the week.

Wow...the PS3 version looks like a 3DS game compared to the PS4. Of course this is expected but damn; the difference is staggering. I'm not even sure if it's 60fps; there's so much stuttering when you move the camera it's hard to tell. Insane.

jeffc919

I think some people have claimed to see a host migration, though to be fair I have not seen one in approx. 5 hours of game play (PS4). I'm basing my assumption that it's not using dedis on the poor pings, poor hit detection, frequently seeming to be way behind the enemy in gun fights....and just other people claiming that it's not using dedis. Then again, maybe it is using them but something else is messed up. All I know is that right now I'm a little frustrated that the same problems I had with MW3 and BO2 are back again, and I'm somewhat regretting not sticking to my guns and holding off on this game like I was planning to do before reading that it would definitely have dedis so netcode / lag / lag compensation shouldn't be a worry anymore.

First cod I've bought on a console (used to play them on pc) it's pretty fun. Only had one disconnect in 4 hours of play.

Though I'm yet to hear one profanity/homophobic slur/racial slur, I'm shocked/happy that I don't have to mute everyone.

nbraun80

Pretty sure it's not on them (X!), I've had host migration a number of times. Not to mention it's weird that in the COD menu it says my NAT is moderate, while my X! networks settings says it's open...

The Beard

First cod I've bought on a console (used to play them on pc) it's pretty fun. Only had one disconnect in 4 hours of play.

Though I'm yet to hear one profanity/homophobic slur/racial slur, I'm shocked/happy that I don't have to mute everyone.

COD people tend to be friendlier on launch day. Wait until that initial endorphine rush wears off, that's when their true colors really show.

RedAssedApe

Banned
kind of annoyed that every new game requires a new companion app. it would be cool if they could do a universal cod app that tracks everything.

i just that was what cod elite was supposed to be before they dropped it...

Bored at work. Made a dumb-ass emblem that should make people even more ashamed that I killed them lol
OG8aMBH.png

Edit: HUGE image. Also, ignore the yellow box. It's a screencap from my phone.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This has to be the worst reg of any CoD ever, nobody dies. I can't believe I'm playing an AAA FPS on P2P servers in 2014. How can they get away with lying to us about dedis? Surely that's not legal, I bought it because they confirmed dedis for PC, X1 and PS4.

a916

If you double tap the reload button you lose what was left of your clip. It reloads just a bit faster when you do that.

Wait what? I didn't realize this entire time my bad reloading habits were costing me bullets... is this to punish players who actively reload too much?

th4tguy

Bored at work. Made a dumb-ass emblem that should make people even more ashamed that I killed them lol

Edit: HUGE image. Also, ignore the yellow box. It's a screencap from my phone.

Is there a way to share/ copy these without going through and having to make them yourself?

jeffc919

This has to be the worst reg of any CoD ever, nobody dies. I can't believe I'm playing an AAA FPS on P2P servers in 2014. How can they get away with lying to us about dedis? Surely that's not legal, I bought it because they confirmed dedis for PC, X1 and PS4.

I'm just hoping this is a hiccup around launch and dedis are coming ASAP. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around them going through the trouble of supporting them last year and then pulling the plug on them this year. Maybe they're "on" but there aren't enough of them so we're getting dumped into P2P games a lot of the time? Maybe they're on but only for certain modes / playlists? I've only played TDM so far. I just would really like some answers. Hoping I don't regret plunking down $100 for the digital pro edition.

Ryan_

I know most of you play console but are there any PC players that want to form a clan or something? Would be nice to play with some fellow gaffers as all my friends play it on PS4.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

This game plays absolutely nothing like the old arena shooters.

RedAssedApe

Banned
is there proximity chat in this game? i.e. can enemies hear you if you're not in a party? i know i've heard people cursing, calling me a camper after killing them a few times. can they hear me?

i've been dying a plenty... negative k/d :(

Is there a way to share/ copy these without going through and having to make them yourself?
I think if you get on the app and look at the clan roster you can click their PSN (mine is YouGotReaped) and copy it that way.

I'm sure there are some pretty damn fantastic creations already. People get intricate with it.

aravuus

Won my first ever Call of Duty FFA match. It was the second I've ever played though lol.

Intense as fuck, I was leading with 8 kills when I won but my heart was still beating like a motherfucker when I was at 25+ kills lol.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just hoping this is a hiccup around launch and dedis are coming ASAP. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around them going through the trouble of supporting them last year and then pulling the plug on them this year. Maybe they're "on" but there aren't enough of them so we're getting dumped into P2P games a lot of the time? Maybe they're on but only for certain modes / playlists? I've only played TDM so far. I just would really like some answers. Hoping I don't regret plunking down $100 for the digital pro edition.

It's honestly ruining the game for me, I just get so angry and frustrated I have to stop playing. They should have had the dedis up and working for Day Zero.

Top Bottom